Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 AM
I wish I could get an awesome loop going. That's just about the only thing I can't do lol!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 AM
so in other words us combined=super producer!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Sounds like it lol
Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 AM
I think I've said this before here...

I like a lot of these acts but the one that I really, really love is A Tribe Called Quest.

Of course if you love them, you pretty much love De La Soul and Busta and all of the guys who guest star on their albums. In fact, that whole "Come on over and help us make a record!" motif is one of the things I most love about them.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
I like a lot of these acts but the one that I really, really love is A Tribe Called Quest.

Of course if you love them, you pretty much love De La Soul and Busta and all of the guys who guest star on their albums. In fact, that whole "Come on over and help us make a record!" motif is one of the things I most love about them.
Midnight Marauders almost made my top ten hip hop album list, and The Low End Theory is right up there with it.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Midnight Marauders almost made my top ten hip hop album list, and The Low End Theory is right up there with it.
Midnight Marauders is easily in my top 15! And The Low End Theory is easily in my top 20. Both great, solid hip hop albums.
Did anyone see the documentary directed by Michael Rapaport on A Tribe Called Quest?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 PM
My favorite concept album... Subject to change, as I'm always hearing new music.

Let's Get Free - Dead Prez
I'm a huge fan of Dead Prez, mainly because of this album. They cover a lot of important issues and topics on this particular album. School Systems, the Prison systems, The government, Police, current state of hip hop, Vegetarianism, Racism, and even Feminism are all topics explored on the album. All from a fresh viewpoint, and an aggressive delivery.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
My favorite concept album... Subject to change, as I'm always hearing new music.

Let's Get Free - Dead Prez
I'm a huge fan of Dead Prez, mainly because of this album. They cover a lot of important issues and topics on this particular album. School Systems, the Prison systems, The government, Police, current state of hip hop, Vegetarianism, Racism, and even Feminism are all topics explored on the album. All from a fresh viewpoint, and an aggressive delivery.
My Favorite Concept album has to be Deltron 3030. Love the futuristic theme to it.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_rambo View Post
My Favorite Concept album has to be Deltron 3030. Love the futuristic theme to it.
Sounds awesome. I actually haven't heard that album yet :O!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Quote:
It's greatness. It's from bay area rapper Del The Funky Homosapien. (If you don't know who he is, he's the rapper on Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood")
Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 AM
What do you guys think of Kid Cudi, as I stated on my list I think he's the best new thing in Hip Hop. I love his half singing/half rapping style. All his music is straight from the heart,and he puts all his dirty laundry out there. I listen to him every day practically. Both his albums are excellent. His concert was simply amazing as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
What do you guys think of Kid Cudi, as I stated on my list I think he's the best new thing in Hip Hop. I love his half singing/half rapping style. All his music is straight from the heart,and he puts all his dirty laundry out there. I listen to him every day practically. Both his albums are excellent. His concert was simply amazing as well.
I never really got into Cudi. A lot of my friends loved him, but I just didn't get into his music that much.
I wouldn't say he's the best new thing in hip hop. Theres a lot of underground acts that are similar, but unique in their own way. And a lot of these underground acts outshine most mainstream artists.
I'd take underground over mainstream any day.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Deltron 3030 is a fantastic album. It features the production of Dan the Automator, one of my favorites. Damon Albarn from the Gorillaz and Blur makes an appearance on one of the tracks. Check it out when you get a chance.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Deltron 3030 is a fantastic album. It features the production of Dan the Automator, one of my favorites. Damon Albarn from the Gorillaz and Blur makes an appearance on one of the tracks. Check it out when you get a chance.
Yeah, I really want to hear it. I've wanted to hear the album forever, I just haven't gotten around to it. I actually know a place near me that sells the album. So i'll have to go pick it up one of these days.
I'm pretty excited about it!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Soliloquists of Sound - As If We Existed
Soliloquists of Sound - No More Heroes

Two excellent hip hop albums. Some of the best i've ever heard. Highly recommended.

These people are hip hop geniuses.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I haven't been able to get into a whole lot of hip hop (I don't dislike it, it's just not really my thing), but I do really like dälek.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I finally listened to Deltron 3030 today. It was pretty cool. I really enjoyed some of the production and lyrics. There were definitely a few awesome beats on that album that I really enjoyed. There were also a few lyrics that really impressed me. But honestly I need to listen to the album a few more times. I didn't get into it as much as I had hoped I would.
I think a lot of it probably went over my head. So I'll need to check it out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_crow_sorrow View Post
I haven't been able to get into a whole lot of hip hop (I don't dislike it, it's just not really my thing), but I do really like dälek.
I've never heard of him. Where's he from? That name sounds Scandinavian.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Quote:
They're a duo, I believe they are American. What I like about them is that they tend to take inspiration from disparate genres like industrial and shoegaze for their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTeIq8CCG3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Z9i7fxIgk
Old 10-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Quote:
I finally listened to Deltron 3030 today. It was pretty cool. I really enjoyed some of the production and lyrics. There were definitely a few awesome beats on that album that I really enjoyed. There were also a few lyrics that really impressed me. But honestly I need to listen to the album a few more times. I didn't get into it as much as I had hoped I would.
I think a lot of it probably went over my head. So I'll need to check it out again.

You know with hip hop more than any other genre a lot of times it takes me a few listens to fully appreciate an album. I think it's just taking in all the production lyrics and all that.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Tyler the Creator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8J-RXZ41-Y
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Really feelin the Roots. Lookin forward to Undun, their upcoming album.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Anyone listened to BlakRoc? (the black keys hip hop project from a few years back) It really is greatness.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Anyone check out Immortal Techniques new mixtape "The Martyr". I loved it, Dead Prez features in one of the first tracks. One of the best Mixtapes i've heard in a while.

Quote:
Anyone listened to BlakRoc? (the black keys hip hop project from a few years back) It really is greatness.
No, haven't heard that one :/
Old 11-26-2011, 01:28 AM
top 10 songs (in no specific order)

2pac-holla if ya hear me

e-40-captain save a hoe

paperboy-ditty

dj quick-tonite

ghetto boys-mind plain tricks on me

naughty by nature-ghetto bastard

cypress hill-no rest for the wicked

public enemy-he got game

mc eight-streight up menace

nwa-100 miles and runnin'

10 albums (in no specific order)

cypress hill self-titled debut
cypress hill-temples of boom
nwa-niggaz4life
menace to society soundtrack
2pac-2pacalypse now
public enemy-fear of a black planet
dr. dre- the chronic
public enemy- it takes a nation of millions to hold us back
nwa-straight outta compton
2pac all-eyez on me

Last edited by silentasylum; 11-26-2011 at 01:49 AM..
Old 11-26-2011, 06:12 PM
What do you Americans think of Akala?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsZZ8...feature=relmfu
Old 12-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
What do you Americans think of Akala?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsZZ8...feature=relmfu
From that song alone, he's not bad. He just lacks lyrical creativity. He's very forward, and has a very plain flow. It's not very colorful. His lyrics are good, and I agree with him for the most part. But he doesn't present them in an interesting way. It just sounds so bland. He needs to work on his flow, and then he needs to work on his lyrical presentation.
He could be great. He's got what it takes. He's just missing, energy, metaphor, feeling, flow.. etc.

Other than that, pretty cool.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Anybody into Kool Keith? I dig his classics like Octagon and Doom but I think some of his other stuff like "Spankmaster" and "Matthew" is rather underrated. My favorite rap-album is properbly "Six feet Deep" by Gravediggaz. Also love some of the more old-school artists like Stetsasonic and Ice-T.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:06 AM
1993-1995 of Hip Hop. To me this is when hip hop was at it's best. It was a fully blossomed flower then. Most of the best hip hop albums ever recorded, were recorded and released between 93 and 95. After that Hip Hop sort of hid underground as a bunch of "rapping" pop stars rose to the surface. Hip Hop may never get that good again. But at least we have these albums, permanently representing the genre of music thats so easily misjudged by outsiders.
If anyone likes hip hop and hasn't peeped some of these albums below, you should take a moment to check them out. Peace!

Illmatic - Nas
Enter The Wu Tang - Wu Tang
Resurrection - Common Sense
Do You Want More?!!!??! - The Roots
Lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous - Big L
SlaughtaHouse - Masta Ace
Ready To Die - Notorious B.I.G.
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik- Outkast
Doe or Die - AZ
Return of the Boom Bap - KRS-ONE
Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon
Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Remake of Illmatic by Elzhi called 'Elmatic'
Anyone hear this? If so, what you think?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
1993-1995 of Hip Hop. To me this is when hip hop was at it's best. It was a fully blossomed flower then. Most of the best hip hop albums ever recorded, were recorded and released between 93 and 95. After that Hip Hop sort of hid underground as a bunch of "rapping" pop stars rose to the surface. Hip Hop may never get that good again. But at least we have these albums, permanently representing the genre of music thats so easily misjudged by outsiders.
If anyone likes hip hop and hasn't peeped some of these albums below, you should take a moment to check them out. Peace!

Illmatic - Nas
Enter The Wu Tang - Wu Tang
Resurrection - Common Sense
Do You Want More?!!!??! - The Roots
Lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous - Big L
SlaughtaHouse - Masta Ace
Ready To Die - Notorious B.I.G.
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik- Outkast
Doe or Die - AZ
Return of the Boom Bap - KRS-ONE
Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon
You forgot Liquid Swords, wasn't that '95?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Quote:
You forgot Liquid Swords, wasn't that '95?
Ah you're right! I actually prefer Liquid Swords to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx too. Yeah, there's probably a few more I'm forgetting as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Remake of Illmatic by Elzhi called 'Elmatic'
Anyone hear this? If so, what you think?
Only heard two tracks but yeah Elzhi sounds a lot like Nas so it was a nice tribute. Although I'm thinking he maybe sounds a bit too similar for me to listen to the whole tape without thinking 'why not just listen to Illmatic?'. I'll have to check out The Preface sometime.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Only heard two tracks but yeah Elzhi sounds a lot like Nas so it was a nice tribute. Although I'm thinking he maybe sounds a bit too similar for me to listen to the whole tape without thinking 'why not just listen to Illmatic?'. I'll have to check out The Preface sometime.
Yeah I really want to check out more of The Preface, from what I've heard of it, it's great.
You should check out more of Elmatic though, it's a near masterpiece. It's different enough for me to want to listen to it when i'm in a different kind of mood. But it's supposed to be a remake so there are numerous similarities as well. He sounds pretty similar on a few of the tracks, but he's noticeably different on others. Especially because he uses so much wordplay and punchlines as opposed to Nas who mainly goes for vivid lyrical detail.
The cool thing about Elmatic is that all of the beats have been remade from the ground up. They use the same samples, but in a lot of ways approve upon them. For example, in NY State of mind, the chord changes midway through the verse which is awesome.
Theres also heavier orchestration and a lot of live instrumentation. One love has awesome remaking of the beat. Lifes a Bitch has an awesome ending where it plays the song of the original sample. Awesome.
And theres a lot of other awesomeness to be had with it.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhqKMb01r_Q remember this? ;P
Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Earl is back.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
The Alchemist is an awesome producer!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Heres a track I just finished up a few days ago. Still trying to get the mixing right. If anyone wants to check it out and lemme know how the mix sounds, I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011
Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 AM
In no order

Bone thugs n harmony
Geto boys
Too $hort
E-40
Ice-t
Scarface
Seagram
Dr dooom
My big bro killa235
Don't know if link will work but check out east to west for killa235 first verse

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_4586523
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Best Hip hop...

Aesop rocks Skelethon somehow managed to upstage his already fantastic previous work

The Streets A a Grand Dont Come for Free is probably the best concept album of any genre.

The Perceptionists Black dialogue should have took off, its a shame it fell back down into obscurity, it deserved better

Continuing with def jux.. Cannibal OX In the cold vein is pretty much perfect

Wutang clans premiere still wows me when you think about how it came out of nowhere and it still resonates today and so many people lift the rza style

Also...

Tajai - Power movement
Giant Panda - Fly School reunion
All Natural - Second nature
Hieroglyphics- Full Circle
king Geedorah _ Take me to your leader
Old 08-31-2013, 12:38 AM
I love hip-hop from 90's..all songs very nice to hear..

Robot Vacuum

Last edited by Alanbrad; 09-23-2013 at 02:11 AM..