Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Best/Worst/Favorites/Etc..
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your Favorite
Playtime (1967) 2 9.52%
Brazil (1985) 6 28.57%
8˝ (1963) 8 38.10%
The Battle of Algiers (1966) 3 14.29%
Amélie (2001) 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Your Favorite of These Films

Pretty simple question. There's a bit of an experiment and a theory going on, but I don't want to say anything for fear of skewing the results. All of these options could probably count as one of my ten or fifteen favorites, so there is no wrong answer.

Last edited by Gordon; 11-24-2012 at 03:09 AM..
Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Gotta go with Brazil.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 AM
I haven't seen all of these but of the which I have, my vote is for Brazil.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I only seen Amelie (8/10) and Battle of Algiers (7/10), the rest are on my to watch queue
Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM
easily.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 PM
8˝ followed by Brazil
Old 11-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Interesting group of films. Three of these are in my top 40 or so, but I have to go with Battle of Algiers which makes my top 10. Playtime and then 8 1/2 are not far behind. All would be in serious contention for most well-directed movies ever made. Amelie is very cute and charming, but it's a bit too precious and too slight for me to feel very passionately about. I admire Brazil and its very ambitious goals, but feel it fails about as often as it succeeds in achieving them and is ultimately just a very interesting "okay" movie.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm ashamed to say I have not seen Playtime, although it's been near the top of my must-see list for a while now. Of the choices I have seen, I went with 8 1/2. It's cinema as personal psychoanalysis, and it ends up covering much more universal themes than its basic plot description would suggest. It's one of those films whose flaws end up adding to its overall effect. The term "flawed masterpiece" seems accurate; paradoxically, there are some things that don't quite work for me, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Of the other films I've seen, The Battle of Algiers is absolutely phenomenal, and its influence can be felt in countless movies made since. Amelie is charming and beautiful, but like QUENTIN basically said, I've always thought it felt too light and inconsequential to be considered a masterpiece. It's more like a really great apéritif, but I suppose that's part of its appeal, so I don't really hold that against it, but I also can't really call it one of my all-time favorites or anything like that. Brazil is a film I admire more than I actually like. I've seen it twice, and on both occasions I had a hard time developing a concrete opinion on it. I guess it's just a movie that I know in my head is good, but otherwise its appeal kind of eludes me.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 PM
The Battle Of Algiers just barely edging out 8 1/2.

I love Amelie more than probably most here. I found it to be unique and memorable and full of charm. It's certainly a hell of a lot better than almost all the romantic comedies that came out in the past decade.

Playtime I like a lot, but prefer Mon Oncle and Mr. Hulot's holiday.

Brazil has great things in it, but is far from perfect, like most of Gilliam's films.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 AM

I love love Battle of Algiers it pains me to not give it to it but its gotta go to Brazil. 8 1/2 is probably the best made of the bunch though, the scene with all of his many loves of the past is outstanding. Ashamed to say I have not seen Playtime yet, but have seen M. Hulots Holiday and don't think its my kind of comedy
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBaxterAX View Post
Ashamed to say I have not seen Playtime yet, but have seen M. Hulots Holiday and don't think its my kind of comedy
I hate Les Vacances de M. Hulot, and Playtime is one of my favorite movies, so I don't think that means much.

Last edited by Gordon; 01-18-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM
So are we ever gonna know what the experiment is?