Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blknge89 View Post
Wait, Snoop... snoop the killer who'd be putting bodies in vacant buildings, nail gun wielding snoop, that one?
Yes. If I hadn't known before watching the show, I would have been confused, too.

Quote:
hmmm, anyway S5
Spoiler:
I was glad to see Bubs living with his sister, I haven't seen her or at least remember seeing her since S1 when B was begininng his attempt at being free of drugs. Really thought they forgot about her.
I love Bubs. I think that Andre Royo should have gotten at least an Emmy nod. I feel the same about Robert Wisdom.

How do you feel so far about what they're doing with McNulty?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM
This thread has gotten me all nostalgic for this series, so I had to pull out my box set and watch some episodes...picked the end of season 4 to watch.

One interesting connection (in my opinion) that was supposed to be written into the story, but was never done, was...(putting it in spoiler tags, just in case, even though it wasn't part of the show)

Spoiler:
The snitch Randy was supposed to be revealed as Cheese's son...they both have Flagstaff as their last name.

For anyone interesed, this series of interviews, done just as the season 5 was ending, was what drove me to watch the show. These are a great listen for any Wire fan. Major Spoilers for all seasons so only listen if you've seen the whole series...

Spoiler:
Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 AM
^ can't tell yet only that this situation, disaster of biblical size the show makes it out to be is going to test not only him but other characters as well. I can see McNaulty loosing it, shame for Beddie, I like her a lot. As a fun FYI did you know that Dominic West also played a security guard in Star Wars episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSGFaBI9PM
the comments which were a lot like the thoughts I was thinking, are pretty funny.

and one last thing before I take off to watch episode 2
Spoiler:
I didn't know the show was a prequel to Breaking Bad, look Gale Boetticher worked in Baltimore, journalism while also being a masterful chemist, interesting how he created 2 fields of work for himself.

I had just finished S4 of BB so this was a great treat[/IMG]

Last edited by blknge89; 01-09-2012 at 03:56 AM..
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Spoiler:
Meth is a very Dickensian drug.

Nothing all that spoilery, really, but I've had enough of being chastized in this thread already.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:36 AM
^ pourquoi?
about episode 3
Spoiler:
rest in peace Butchie, see and live in the light now.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Nothing to worry about. Issues from earlier in the thread. We're good.

And I agree with your sentiments in that post. I thought he was a terrific character, kind of like that guy who helped Cutty adjust.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Spoiler:
Joe goes to buy flowers for Butchie except they're not the only ones needed

rest in peace Proposistion Joe
dang is every post from this point on going to be a comment on a character's death? Aside from that, glad to see bases touched with Kima personal life and Beedie's emotions at McNaulty.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Spoiler:
^ ha just like I said, one after another
rest in peace Donnie, shame you couldn't see this whole thing through with Omar, it's okay though he flew out of the window like superman and he's okay.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 AM
^ but he ain't superman, he could be got at any time, without warning and that's how it came down, I never saw that coming.

Well I only have one more episode to go, going to watch it this sunday. Kind of don't want to, but I have to face it. Like life itself
Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Everything comes full circle, probably just about the best resolution you could get to a serialized TV series, but yeah, you're gonna be all...."NOOOOO!!!!! I WANT MOOAARRRR!!!!!"
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 AM
" What Edward Gibbon was to the decline and fall of the roman empire or Charles Dickens to the smokey, mean streets of victorian London, David Simon is to America."- Bill Moyers

Stuck fighting my way around just words for a review of the episode and the series in whole. Well I came across that quotation and I'll let it speak for me. My praise and love for the show, creator and writers can be boiled down to some simple words too or rather just one, "Masterful"

"shit you saw that coming."-Naymond
================================================== =======
Now the episode as I was watching it, loved Jimmy's wake, hated how only a fraction of what could have been dealt to Marlo was dealt, they tried though didn't they. Reginald's journey was incredible, his struggle, his fight and the reward, something we've all done so many times, a dinner with a family. Enjoyed seeing how new versions of these old characters came to life, there would another Omar and Dukie became bubs.

Marlo can dress himself up as much as he wants but blood will always be with him as his last scene showed, an obvious statement but still great. Someone will get him eventually.

They touched one everything that needed to be, it really was just an endless loop though, memorable and full of pain and reward but a loop none the less, where another series could pick up from.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 AM
I love how the final episode deals with and reveals surprise, hope, heartache and loss, the rise and fall of goodness with people we followed for 5 seasons. It couldn't have been better, IMO.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I love how the final episode deals with and reveals surprise, hope, heartache and loss, the rise and fall of goodness with people we followed for 5 seasons. It couldn't have been better, IMO.
Agreed so much. I think the final season is clearly the "worst," but the final episode and the final ten minutes reached heights that television has never seen before and may never see again.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 AM
One more thing which I'm sure nobody bothered with was this moment from the opening credits, I want to know who that actress is on the screen because she looks too damn close to a friend I knew, gets me everytime.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Idris Elba and Dominic West were nominated in the same category last night.

This amused me greatly
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Now they fuckin' figure out who those two are...
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 AM
I'd rate the seasons as: 1-3-4-2-5

I'm a little torn between seasons 2 and 5, and which I would consider the "worst." I thought season 2 was incredibly boring the first time I watched it, but decided to see it again and it was a little better the second time around. It was mainly the Docks environment that I found somewhat boring, but I did like the characters Frank/Ziggy/Nick/the Greeks. Season 5 was fine for the most part, it was just the boring serial killer thing that was uninteresting to me. Otherwise, the way everything else was handled and the way it wrapped up was fine. I love the ending montage, especially seeing
Spoiler:
Wee-Bay and Chris in the same prison together.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 AM
So stealing this...

"That woman thinks I work in the cafeteria at the airport!"

Hey, have any of you guys seen Night Catches Us? It's a really good little indie film from late 2010 with Kerry Washington and Anthony Mackie, set in '76 in Philadelphia.

I ask because Wendell Pierce (playing a rather more crooked cop than The Bunk would ever be) and Jamie Hector (portrayer of Smiert's pal Marlo, who I almost didn't recognize because he was wearing a full beard) are also both in it. It's well worth watching on it's own merits but it's almost a must-see if you're interested in all of our people from The Wire.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM
First, this doesn't actually matter. Not at all. But for discussion's sake, check out Grantland.com's March Madness-style "greatest Wire character" bracket:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...test-character

The 4 #1 seeds are Omar, Avon, Bunk and String. Hard to argue with that. Marlo and Michael being #2's is good, although I don't like Prop Joe and Clay Davis as #2's given that they're ahead of Bodie, Lester and Bunny.

The biggest crime (har har) of the whole list is that Bubbles is a #7 seed (out of a possible 8). Below the likes of Serge and Rawls. Otherwise I like it overall, and I like that McNutty is a #3 seed: an essential character but not the greatest.

What say you?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Interesting article about Simon commenting on an interview he did where he basically sounded like a jackass.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...watch-the-wire

If you haven't seen the original inteview in NY Times, here's a link: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...witter/?src=tp

I love Simon's work, but everytime he talks, I want to punch him in the face.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 AM
David has maintained most of this same stuff for a long time now. I'm not really seeing anything to get upset about, myself.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 04-15-2012 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: No such word as "manitained"
Old 04-15-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't understand why he gets grumpy about it. He mentiond Grantland's bracket a few things and it seems to really bother him. Not sure why. It's just for fun. Everyone knows it.

Heck, even when AceD posted the link to it here, he mentioned that it doesn't really matter. Everyone who's seen The Wire knows stuff like that doesn't matter. It's just a point of discussion and some fun. I feel Simon takes himself and his work way too seriously.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:26 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/the-lego-wire
Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Simon gonna complain about this also?

Favorite part: "no one likes our season! That's why!"

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 07-21-2012 at 01:00 AM..
Old 07-21-2012, 04:04 AM
Actually, that and the crack about Tremé were the only things I didn't like. I love Clay and really love Freamon's dollhouse on his desk.

"There you go again, givin' a brick when it ain't your turn to give a brick!"
Old 07-21-2012, 05:57 AM
I watched all 5 seasons over the course of about a month and have already started rewatching some episodes. The S2 storyarc, I really enjoyed. I thought it was neat how each season focused on a different aspect of the city and how it interplayed. The newspaper storyline was my least favorite, if anything, but I appreciated it because it gave the opening for closure.

Omar is a great character.

I've mastered my McNulty drinking face. Kinda raise the eyebrows, half shut eyes and throw an overbite in with a semi-duck face. Then you gotta refer to someone, using a pronoun, as being an asshole. Bonus points if you crash your car.

Too much to go into that hasn't been said here but I did just spend nearly an hour reading all your guys' posts. I really enjoyed the chess move trivia and also the connections with actors to other work. BTW - I've seen all the 90210 seasons prior to starting this show and Haha, glad he gave it up and found some nice foster parents. Too bad his fate in Beverly Hills ended up being more fatal than life on the streets.

And I find myself whistling "Farmer in the Dell" while on elevators and in hallways.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
I watched all 5 seasons over the course of about a month and have already started rewatching some episodes. The S2 storyarc, I really enjoyed. I thought it was neat how each season focused on a different aspect of the city and how it interplayed. The newspaper storyline was my least favorite, if anything, but I appreciated it because it gave the opening for closure.

Omar is a great character.

I've mastered my McNulty drinking face. Kinda raise the eyebrows, half shut eyes and throw an overbite in with a semi-duck face. Then you gotta refer to someone, using a pronoun, as being an asshole. Bonus points if you crash your car.

Too much to go into that hasn't been said here but I did just spend nearly an hour reading all your guys' posts. I really enjoyed the chess move trivia and also the connections with actors to other work. BTW - I've seen all the 90210 seasons prior to starting this show and Haha, glad he gave it up and found some nice foster parents. Too bad his fate in Beverly Hills ended up being more fatal than life on the streets.

And I find myself whistling "Farmer in the Dell" while on elevators and in hallways.
Welcome to the club
Old 07-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Actually, that and the crack about Tremé were the only things I didn't like.
I couldn't relate to the Treme joke cause I never saw the show. But the crack about season 2 was great because I really didn't like season 2. It actually almost took me out of the show completely. Took me about a month to finish that season alone. Just didn't draw me in.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 PM
^^^That should be on a T-shirt.

I know the poster reappeared in later seasons, but what was its latest appearance. Was it still up in S5?

Man, I should be rewatching this show right now. Actually I should probably be sleeping or at least working on my McNulty face.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
^^^That should be on a T-shirt.

I know the poster reappeared in later seasons, but what was its latest appearance. Was it still up in S5?

Man, I should be rewatching this show right now. Actually I should probably be sleeping or at least working on my McNulty face.
I think the last time we see it is in season 3, when Omar is throwing his and Brother Mouzone's guns into the river.

I think.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Just restarted the whole series a couple days ago for the fourth time. On S1E08. I find myself as excited and swept up and emotionally exhausted as the other three times. Love this shit
Old 07-22-2012, 06:05 PM
So, the other day, and I swear I haven't let him watch the show, I think he just picked up enough from passing through the room while it was on, or hearing us talk about it, our kid puts a slim jim in his mouth, off to the side and says, "Hey dad look: I'm Omar!"

Then last night he said he wants to dress up as Omar for Halloween. I mean, he knows this is funny and is only doing it to be funny. He gets the inappropriateness of this all.

So my question here is - How bad a father would I be to seek out a kids size bullet proof vest, just make a whole outfit? Or have I already crossed the line and should just forget about it at this point?

If other parents were cool in the neighborhood, I'd be totally down with doing some scenes from the wire with grade schoolers. As it stands though, I already have to tell him on a daily basis not to mention this or that outside.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Dunno if this has been posted, but this is a great website, even if it hasn't been updated in awhile: http://wireinspire.tumblr.com/

I even made my own....

Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM
RIP, Richard Chew (Prop Joe)

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 01-18-2013 at 08:22 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Sorry to hear this.

Nice piece from Buzzfeed.

Cheese always was an asshole.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 01-19-2013 at 12:54 AM..
Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Started re-watching the series from the bottom to the top again on the side of things, better the 2nd time around.

Finished Episode 10, season 3
Spoiler:
Rawls in the bar, now what was he up to?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 AM
That's one thread that was left dangling.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Im replying with9out reading this thread:

Im on season 3 right now... and my god this has to be the most over rated show I have ever watched!

It is good, dont get me wrong, but The Shield was a million times better.

I've heard season 4 is the best, but man, the first 3 seasons are very mundane.

and I am from Baltimore to boot! (Well near Baltimore)