Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 AM
So is anyone actually picking this up today? I'm considering it but money is somewhat tight and to be honest its not like i've been waiting years for this to come out.

I'm actually thinking i might just enjoy another play through of XIII then this game, heh.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Found a review

Think i'm going to wait for a price drop before picking this one up.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I have it pre ordered on Amazon w/ 10 dollar credit for future purchases. I may cancel it, but I really don't have much else going on in my gaming world so I think I'll get it now and play a game on it's release for a change instead of 2 to 3 years late like I do with most games.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Bah humbug, I went ahead and cancelled the pre order. I'm gonna wait and see what mainstream reviewers are giving it before I purchase. I find in general a conglomerate of a thousand reviews that show up on Amazon are pretty accurate in the scheme of things. More and more lately I have been making my game purchases based on Amazon reviewers than internet gaming magazine sites.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
More and more lately I have been making my game purchases based on Amazon reviewers than internet gaming magazine sites.
Shit don't let them know that, they will start charging you to see reader reviews next thing you know.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Gamestop's review is up

Honestly i think i'm going to pass on this installment. I enjoyed XIII a lot and it seems they've changed a lot of the stuff i enjoyed in this new one.

yeah i'll replay XIII before i buy this probably.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
20 Credit on Amazon for purchasing, plus a free "mini strategy guide". I wonder how long that is going to last, I went ahead and ordered it now. I probably won't get to put many hours into it right away, but I should be able to get a good feel of it within a week.

I will let you guys know if I end up immediately regretting it.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
20 Credit on Amazon for purchasing, plus a free "mini strategy guide". I wonder how long that is going to last, I went ahead and ordered it now. I probably won't get to put many hours into it right away, but I should be able to get a good feel of it within a week.

I will let you guys know if I end up immediately regretting it.
If its anything like the mini guide they released with XIII it should be about 5-6 hrs of gameplay deep with some summary stuff on weapons and the like.

I still do not regret buying the hardcover strat for XIII, its just an excellently put together guide and book in general. I still have my VIII one but its a bit mangled these days.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I definitely DO NOT regret buying this game.

If your one of the ones that felt FF13 had so so much potential, then I'd definitely suggest buying 13-2. I feel like it's everything 13 should have been gameplay wise.

The story (so far) is actually really intriguing. It kinda reminds me of Chrono Trigger the way they are handling time travel. The new character, Noel, is actually not a annoying douchebag for once, like most lead male characters in FF games. Noel is calm and collected, and doesn't whine like a bitch. Granted, he is wearing a pretty stupid outfit, but I guess that's to be expected.

The dialogue options seem to have little impact on the story, but what they do achieve is turn otherwise boring, but necessary, dialogue into something much more interactive. And since 13-2 is still a dialogue heavy game, it makes a difference. Even though there is a lot of dialogue, it's nowhere near as bad as 13 was as far as movie after movie after movie.

The mog clock is a fun new way to handle 'random battles'. Basically every 20 or so steps a monster appears on your screen, but you don't immediately go into battle. Instead there is a timer that appears, if you are able to 'attack' the monster within a certain timeframe you get to start the battle with an instant attack. If you wait too long, the situation is reversed and the monster gets to start the battle with an attack.

The only CON so far for me is the fact that the mostly interesting cast of 13 is not more integrated into the game.

My recommendation: If you haven't enjoyed Final Fantasy since it came to the PS2, then definitely just stay a way. At it's core it's still a Final Fantasy game.

If you enjoyed 13, but felt it could have been so much better gameplay-wise then 13-2 is definitely for you. Even if you have to wait until a price drop, buy the game eventually.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Game keeps getting better and better. I'm playing without a guide so I am sure I'm missing tons of stuff, but I am about 15 hours in and still really impressed. It's probably my favorite FF since 10-2 (which may not sound like much but I really loved 10-2.)

Anyways we will see how the ending works out. Since some FF games get pretty bad in their last half or third of the game. *cough 12 cough*
Old 02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Well aside from the awful ending, this game was really good. I'd give a 9/10 if you ignored the cut scenes after the final battle.

If you include the cut scenes after the final battle I'd probably give it a 6/10 lol. My recommendation is just to turn the game off after the last fight.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM
So i ended picking this up on the weekend used for $15 and i'm surprised at how good it is.

Playing the demo before it came out, i dunno, maybe it wasn't as polished or some of the features weren't present or something but i recall not really caring for it. But once i got into the full game i was glad to find that its actually pretty fun and engaging.

There are a few things though, thus far:

- The crystarium is, once again, pretty useless. you could just have all the spheres in a top to bottom list in a menu and get the same effect. No real choice outside of what role you lvl though they seem to have made that more restrictive so you have to actually think about what you build your guys into cause they don't look like they'll be abel to learn everything like in XIII

- Noel, he bothers me. It not his design or his voice but just how he seems to know almost everything about whats going on. It just seem odd that he has so much info unless there is an actual plot point for it.

- I thought the Moogle would be horribly annoying but is some how not.

- Some of the 'improvements' are bull, like shops. Now we have some lunatic Chocobo lady to sell us stuff instead of buying from the save points. This is pointless cause the chick is everywhere (like the save points) and she has no baring on the game outside of some dialog when you go see her. They might as well have kept the save points.

- Being able to jump is kind of cool/fun but there are tons of spots where you should be able to jump onto something only to hit an invisible wall. same with things like railings on ramps, you can just jump over them to get down quicker you have to walk the whole ramp. Now that might be nitpicky but you're given the ability to freely jump only to be restricted as to where.

Only about 3 hrs in so far. Hope it stays fun through out.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Noel was far from being a great male lead, but he wasn't terrible either.

Thinking back on the game 9 months later... I still have good memories of it. The ending was still really disappointing. And there was kind of a lull in the last quarter of the game, which seems to be a common theme with FF games for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
The story (so far) is actually really intriguing. It kinda reminds me of Chrono Trigger the way they are handling time travel.
Haven't played this one yet, but found this thread and had to ask a question: from what I'm hearing, the plot of 13-2 is a lot like Chrono Cross, where you spend the whole game essentially trying to clean up Chrono, Marle and Lucca's reckless time traveling from the first game. That the big "loose end" from trigger was what happened to Schala, and that Cross is Lucca's attempt to free her friend. Would something like that be accurate?

I remember playing the very first final fantasy when I was in Elementary school, and it was a blast. Back then, the RPG genre was completely new, Enix's Dragon Warrior having really started the whole thing (we had dungeon master knockoffs before then, but never a really full fledged RPG in the modern sense). I still think, to this day, that FF9 was one of the single most cruelly underrated games of all time. Zidane, Vivi, Dagger and co. were simply a blast to play, and the fantasy elements in the game were done pitch perfectly. Like most of this forum, I consider FF6 and 7 to be the gold standard of video gaming. FF6 was the first game, that I can remember, that did what movies had done for generations: it gave every character his or her own distinctive theme song, and FF6 was the first full fledged "plotted" game where the plot wasn't just a throwaway. Before FF6 video games didn't have plots, or musical scores on that scale. Everyone here still remembers Kefka's theme, right? Everyone still remembers the Opera scene, with Celes, the battle-hardended magitek knight, right? The world of video games took a giant leap forward with 6.

7, was for me, an even greater leap forward, as it took RPG's to the mainstream. I remember playing it with some friends in college, and they were not the kind of people who played D&D as kids (I was though, so guilty as charged), in fact they were pretty drunk frat boys, but they really dug it. I actually really liked 10, although I was frustrated by it at first, once I got the hang of it, it was just like old times. However, like another poster on this thread mentioned, I like the light hearted ones a bit more (which is why I didn't particularly care for 8) and I thought X-2 was very good. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it hit the spot for me.

I will say I was a bit letdown by 12. The main problem I had was that twelve was simply far too easy. FF has traditionally been a game were the level of difficulty is not that high. Critics have charged that it allows gameplay to take a backseat to story. However, on the scale of difficulty, 12 has to rank as maybe the easiest game in the series.

Due to my job, and the extreme amount of work that it entails, I don't have much time for hobbies (I keep up with comics, which is my main hobby). I used to be an avid RPG gamer, and I'd buy anything from square as soon as it hit the shelves. FF 6, 7, 9, 10, and 10-2 as well as Chrono Trigger and Cross, remain on my short list of all time favorite games. I'm also probably the only person on this forum who enjoyed the Kingdome Hearts series, which is an excellent platform game, IMHO. That is the reason why I'm still very open to give anything made by square a shot. However, I also know Square has come on hard times, as competitors with more innovative brands have lapsed it. I appreciate the reviews and discussion that you guys have posted, and I think I'll give 'em another shot.

Last edited by soda; 01-19-2013 at 04:36 PM..
Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
It is somewhat similar. There are "paradoxes" in different times, and you spend a lot of time fixing the paradoxes in each time period. The plot isn't overly complicated though, despite the premise of time travel it keeps everything pretty straight forward.

Also, I am right there with you, FF9 is my favorite FF of all time and easily a top ten game for me.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
I remember playing the very first final fantasy when I was in Elementary school, and it was a blast. Back then, the RPG genre was completely new, Enix's Dragon Warrior having really started the whole thing (we had dungeon master knockoffs before then, but never a really full fledged RPG in the modern sense). I still think, to this day, that FF9 was one of the single most cruelly underrated games of all time. Zidane, Vivi, Dagger and co. were simply a blast to play, and the fantasy elements in the game were done pitch perfectly. Like most of this forum, I consider FF6 and 7 to be the gold standard of video gaming. FF6 was the first game, that I can remember, that did what movies had done for generations: it gave every character his or her own distinctive theme song, and FF6 was the first full fledged "plotted" game where the plot wasn't just a throwaway. Before FF6 video games didn't have plots, or musical scores on that scale. Everyone here still remembers Kefka's theme, right? Everyone still remembers the Opera scene, with Celes, the battle-hardended magitek knight, right? The world of video games took a giant leap forward with 6.

7, was for me, an even greater leap forward, as it took RPG's to the mainstream. I remember playing it with some friends in college, and they were not the kind of people who played D&D as kids (I was though, so guilty as charged), in fact they were pretty drunk frat boys, but they really dug it. I actually really liked 10, although I was frustrated by it at first, once I got the hang of it, it was just like old times. However, like another poster on this thread mentioned, I like the light hearted ones a bit more (which is why I didn't particularly care for 8) and I thought X-2 was very good. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it hit the spot for me.

I will say I was a bit letdown by 12. The main problem I had was that twelve was simply far too easy. FF has traditionally been a game were the level of difficulty is not that high. Critics have charged that it allows gameplay to take a backseat to story. However, on the scale of difficulty, 12 has to rank as maybe the easiest game in the series.

Due to my job, and the extreme amount of work that it entails, I don't have much time for hobbies (I keep up with comics, which is my main hobby). I used to be an avid RPG gamer, and I'd buy anything from square as soon as it hit the shelves. FF 6, 7, 9, 10, and 10-2 as well as Chrono Trigger and Cross, remain on my short list of all time favorite games. I'm also probably the only person on this forum who enjoyed the Kingdome Hearts series, which is an excellent platform game, IMHO. That is the reason why I'm still very open to give anything made by square a shot. However, I also know Square has come on hard times, as competitors with more innovative brands have lapsed it. I appreciate the reviews and discussion that you guys have posted, and I think I'll give 'em another shot.
I have similar opinions to you, except I really enjoyed XII. Yeah, the main storyline was easy, and once you set your gambits and get pretty much all of them, it becomes pretty easy to grind (you can just stroll through the Sandseas without selecting a single command) but there were a ton of sidequests that made it pretty challenging. Particularly Omega XIII. He was a beast.

Most FF games are like that: not too hard to beat, but side quests and optional bosses are where the challenge can be found.

Anyway, I've played more FF games than I can count. Aside from the main series, I've played a ton of the other games like Crystal Chronicles, Tactics, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, Mystic Quest, and many others. I was grossly disappointed by XIII. I think, although my order changes, my favorites are VI, IX, and VII. XII and IV are not far behind in some order (might even like XII more than VII, just because of the characters). I hated VIII, X (I think I have to give that one another chance, though), and XIII.

The series has lost much of its allure to me. I can still get into a solid JRPG, as I had some fun with The Last Story before it got corny, but something about XIII and its sequels annoys me. Maybe because the Fabula Whatever never materiaized the way it was supposed to, so I'm just bitter. I don't know.

I also liked Kingdom Hearts, but only the consol games. I'd play KH3 on a PS3 if it came out, but I hated Chain of Memories and never bothered with the other portable ones.

My favorite Square games are from the 16-bit era. Secret of Mana (although a little dated), Chrono Trigger, FF VI, and Breath of Fire are among my favorite games ever. I think those games, and the late PS1 era, are the pinnacle of JRPGs by far.

Now, I'm a high school teacher, and really don't have time for RPGs unless it's over a break (I played Last Story over summer vacation). I like my games fairly simple, but I'd make time for franchises I trust. If there's ever a new Chrono game, I'm there. If KH3 ever happens, I'd be all over it. And if Final Fantasy dumps Lightning's story and gives us a new, likeable cast (nothing against Lightning herself, just bored with her and didn't like any one else from that game or that entire world), I'd probably get back on the ship.

EDIT: I should say that my opinions of the older games have changed in the last couple of years, as I played most of them again. VI officially became my favorite, IV dropped a bit (the moon thing bothered me more), and I still hate II. I also replayed VIII (which I still hate) and VII (which dropped a bit only because the sidequests were not challenging enough). I need to give X another shot, as I currently hate it, but so many people think I'm crazy when I say it.

EDIT 2: One other issue with IX - Kuja. He's just a poor man's Kefka. Wish there was more Garland instead.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 01-20-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM
See, the thing about 10 is that it can be a frustrating game. When I first got it, and played it, I hated it. I felt like the learning curve was too steep, but then, a few years later, and after people told me they loved it, I gave it another try and found out that it was a really great game. Not everyone's cup of tea, though. The issue with 10 is that there are some really freakin' hard things about the game that are completely not intuitive. 10 was the first FF, for example, to ditch the idea of inns, you healed your character at save points. However, that aspect was never stated in the in-game tutorials, and it took me a while to figure out. Towards the end of the game, one of the bosses (people who have played this know who I'm talking about) kept Mega-deathing me to oblivion over and over again, every time we fought. Then, I finally figured out the "trick" to victory. If I had one big complaint about FF-10, that would be it, so many of the enemies and bosses require a special "trick" to beat.

My preference in these games though it probably towards the more light-hearted and the more fantasy based games. However, FF6 is probably my favorite, if I had to pick just one. 6 was the first true ensemble cast in video games, so many classic characters and moments. As much as I liked nine, and think its underrated, Cuja was the weak link in that game. He was just never a very threatening villian. Kefka, though? He blew shit up. nine is a game I appreciated because I felt the heroes were so likable, and I really dug the pure fantasy based plot. 6 though might be as perfect a game as I've ever played. Again, the opera scene in 6 has to rank as one of my all-time favs, right up there with Aeris' prayer in 7 (and what happens to her as a result, pretty tramatic, if you ask me)

FIWW, if there ever was a game that competed, stride for stride, with 6 as the finest I've ever played, it would be Chrono Trigger. What a great deal of fun to play. Great story, memorable characters, terrific bad-guy. And a huge plot hole that set up the sequel. I remember, as a teenager, playing that game and thinking what everyone else thought in the scene where Schala sacrificed herself: "okay, but what happened to Schala?" Playing Chrono Cross, the entire time, it was obvious that Lucca was the brains behind the plot. The joy of that game, for me, was seeing Lucca's plot to save her friend unfold. I totally agree that if Square ever made Chrono Crash (the rumored title of a third game) I'd be down for it. However, that looks like a serious long shot at this point, which is too bad. Hats off to two of the best!