Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Great movie , I loved how everyone in this movie belonged in a looney hospital.
Agreed haha, besides Cooper and Lawrence, De Niro's character was definitely my favorite.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Bradley Cooper seems to be channeling Charlie Day from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Loved it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM

I checked this one out a few weeks ago. Despite that it gets a little formulaic near the end I still thought it was engaging enough. I would NOT have recognized Sally Struthers if someone hadn't pointed out that it was her.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
That's Jackie Weaver. She does look somewhat like Sally nowadays, and she does sound like her, but that's not Sally.

You mean the mom, right?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 AM

Oh damn! You're right. I was talking to some random lady in the lobby just before seeing the movie and she told me that Sally Struthers was in it. I should have known that she didn't have her facts down 100% when she said that Struthers used to star in MASH but it did look like her.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenkiller View Post
Oh damn! You're right. I was talking to some random lady in the lobby just before seeing the movie and she told me that Sally Struthers was in it. I should have known that she didn't have her facts down 100% when she said that Struthers used to star in MASH but it did look like her.
Well she does look like Sally and if I had not already checked the cast at IMDB before I went to the movie I would have believed it was her too.

That lady is all mixed up with her Sally's. Regarding MASH, she's thinking of the original movie, (not the tv series), in which Sally Kellerman played Hot Lips. However, in her mind she must have been picturing Sally Struthers since she does look like Jackie Weaver. Lol

People did used to get those Sally's mixed up years ago.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 PM
I love a movie with strong performances and this movie has several strong performances. This movie deserves all the accolades and award nominations because not only are the performances incredible, but the chemistry and interpersonal relationships help drive the movie as well. I was really impressed with Bradley Cooper and how he handled this character who's dealing with a mental disorder/chemical imbalance and how that issue is affecting his life after a stint in a mental institution. Robert Deniro and Jacki Weaver are terrific as his parents trying to help him deal with his illness as well as help him adjust to life after his hospital stay. Jennifer Lawrence is the "kindred spirit" who also has some mental and emotional issues; her and Bradley Cooper are terrific together as two souls with some serious problems and must learn to deal with them.

One thing I liked about the movie is how it portrayed a family dealing with someone who is bi-polar. It shows how difficult, crazy, and emotional it can get when the person simply loses control and simply goes off. I can say from personal experience that it's difficult to deal with and I think the movie portrayed it well.

I don't know if I'd call this a romantic comedy in that it deals with a lot of things, not just two people finding each other. It's a romantic dramedy if anything. But the thing that stands out more than anything is the performances by the main cast and if you enjoy watching great performances, you'll enjoy watching this movie.

8/10

Last edited by bigred760; 01-27-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenkiller View Post
My wife thought it was Sally Struthers as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
HUGE congrats to Jennifer Lawrence winning the SAG! Beautiful speech too.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Go behind the scenes of Oscar hopeful Silver Linings Playbook in this half hour featurette of how the film was made - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2CS
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I love a movie with strong performances and this movie has several strong performances. This movie deserves all the accolades and award nominations because not only are the performances incredible, but the chemistry and interpersonal relationships help drive the movie as well. I was really impressed with Bradley Cooper and how he handled this character who's dealing with a mental disorder/chemical imbalance and how that issue is affecting his life after a stint in a mental institution. Robert Deniro and Jacki Weaver are terrific as his parents trying to help him deal with his illness as well as help him adjust to life after his hospital stay. Jennifer Lawrence is the "kindred spirit" who also has some mental and emotional issues; her and Bradley Cooper are terrific together as two souls with some serious problems and must learn to deal with them.

One thing I liked about the movie is how it portrayed a family dealing with someone who is bi-polar. It shows how difficult, crazy, and emotional it can get when the person simply loses control and simply goes off. I can say from personal experience that it's difficult to deal with and I think the movie portrayed it well.

I don't know if I'd call this a romantic comedy in that it deals with a lot of things, not just two people finding each other. It's a romantic dramedy if anything. But the thing that stands out more than anything is the performances by the main cast and if you enjoy watching great performances, you'll enjoy watching this movie.

8/10
I had to see this before Sunday and I'm glad that I did. It's a wonderful film. BigRed calls it perfectly. The absolute best thing about this movie was the performances across the board. Yes, Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are wonderful and certainly worthy of all the awards buzz but even the supporting characters were amazing. The chemistry really works and the interpersonal relationships are very well done.

8/10
Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Finally saw this two night ago. I really enjoyed it. My wife fell asleep. I live in Eagle land and these people are that crazy about that loser team. Although I liked her role, not sure how Jenn won an Oscar for it. Bradley Cooper was way, way better in his role. Maybe if she has a few more solo scenes without Cooper that added some grit to the character, I would buy it. Overall, a decent, different type of a movie, but not anywhere near as good as everyone else says it is.

6/10