Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 AM
TokeZa, where do you get your time from?

The Brood - 5/10
Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
The Last Stand - 8/10
Your typical, enjoyable Arnie action film!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM

This is the film that I wished Punisher: War Zone could’ve been. A low budget, 80s action romp reboot of a previous comic book adaptation to film that knows what is under its belt, and delivers the goods the best way that the director and his crew can. Not to say that the film is a hallmark in brainless action films, but its heart is certainly set in the right place. Stylishly directed in some scenes with some fine lead performances, as well as some great action that these films know how to deliver, Dredd is the ultra violent action film that fans of the comic will probably love.

The film’s plot is standardly rote for a film involving a dystopian future where cops are judge, jury, and executioner in the wasteland of the setting of City One. The titular Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) teams up with rookie Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) to investigate a murder in a large apartment complex, run by drug lord Ma-Ma (Game of Thrones own Lena Headey). What starts out as routine investigation escalates into a fight for survival as Dredd and Anderson get locked own in Ma-Ma’s complex, and have to fight their way out. The plot is pretty much well known in the action genre area, primarily Carpenter’s Assault on Precinct 13, Die Hard, and even the latest action romp by Gareth Evan’s The Raid: Redemption.

But director Peter Travis know how to keep the plot moving forward and always interesting, even with the typical double-crosses and twists that most movie goers used to this sort of film will see a mile away. He also is aware of applying a subtle evolution towards the gruff Dredd and Anderson. Throughout the film, Travis acknowledges the way Anderson and Dredd’s idea of justice is handled in this crime-riddled world, and shows how each of the characters have been affected by it. Dredd’s been completely desensitized, while Anderson has lived in this world most of her life, and is only really getting into the aspect on how the law handles this reckless behavior.

Urban and Thirlby are both equally solid as Dredd and Anderson respectively. Urban maintains the constant scowl and lack of personality that, I appear, the comic counterpart attained throughout his run. But, that’s not to say that the role is one-note, as urban gives off the briefest of emotions throughout the film to show that while Dredd is a killing machine, he’s still somewhat a human being. Thirlby, as Anderson, offers the more human side that Dredd masks through his implementation of justice. There’s a complete arc with her character and while it’s fairly predictable, there is a cooler edge to the character that I don’t feel like spoiling as it gives Thrilby’s Anderson more to being just planed in the “Rookie Cop” characterization.

As for the big bad antagonist that these films always suitably bring to the table, Headey’s Ma-Ma is more of the soft-spoken, but completely in control type of action movie villain. She never seems to lose her cool when the chips are stack against her, and always willing to retaliate by any means necessary. She’s given a pretty mean backstory towards her rise to how she got to be a drug lord, and its necessary baggage towards how Heady centers her performance on.

As for the action and sets, it varies between looking fairly large budgeted towards somewhat substandard in many ways. But, with every set that looks cheap, Travis imbues some good ol fashioned shootouts that will make action fans pleased. There’s also some very neat, stylistic shots concerning a drug in the film called “Slo-Mo”, where it’s more of a Matrix “Bullet Time” effect that Travis uses to great effect. It never feels overdone and repetitive, just utilized at the right moment. Yes, the film gets pretty bloody at times, but if you dug how director Paul Verhoeven dealt with violence in films like Total Recall or RoboCop, then you’ll feel right at home with this.

Dredd is, simply put, a fine action film that fans of the genre should definitely check out. There’s nothing game-changing or genre-bending to how the film attains itself, and Dredd certainly is a true-blue bloody action romp that brings ample entertainment thanks to director Peter Travis, the actors and crew. Simply put, it’s an action film that knows what works and doesn’t work.

7/10
Old 01-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Django Unchained (10/10)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM

Mama(2013)-5/10
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM
The Miserables - 6/10
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 PM

8/10
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Django Unchained - 9/10
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Malta Story with Alec Guinness - A British WWII film about the defense of Malta with a love story thrown in. The first of the film was sort of boring but it did pick up in the second half. I wasn't expecting the film to end the way it did
Spoiler:
I thought Alec Guinness would survive and stay with the Maltese girl rather than his plane being shot down.
7/10

Of Love and Shadows - This is based on an Isabel Allende story so I was expecting a better film. Jennifer Connelly was miscast as the woman who falls for a photojournalist during a rather difficult time in Chile's history. Most of the other actors were actually Latino but they cast a white woman as one of the most important roles. It doesn't make much sense. The film also wasn't as exciting as it should have been. 4/10
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 PM
End of Watch

8.5/10
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Side By Side

It wasn't bad - a bit uneven I thought.

8/10
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Dream House - 1/5

Ugh... That was hard to watch.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceus View Post
TokeZa, where do you get your time from?

The Brood - 5/10
Well im a student living together with other filmbuffs
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 AM
God Bless America (2011)

Are you fed up with life? fed up with the people around you? fed up with the constant mindless dribble that is shown on TV 24/7? the celebrity/sport addicted media or the use of brain sapping technology like 'Twitter' and txt on smart phones etc...?. Then why not break free and go on a killing rampage to release the world of these modern day problems.

Directed by Bobcat Goldthwait (yes that lunatic from a few 'Police Academy' movies) and with an unknown cast (to me) that really do shine. The plot is cute but totally unoriginal now I'm afraid, a depressed, ill, suicidal office worker gets fired and mentally snaps. He begins a killing spree with people that really annoy him or don't really deserve what they have, in short he's sick of modern day America. Along the way he picks up and befriends a young school girl who loves what he is doing so joins in and helps him.

So yeah...its basically an update of 'Natural Born Killers' with a hint of 'Bonnie and Clyde' perhaps, no bank robbing though. Its a dark comedy positively brewing over with sadism which is accompanied by a cheerful soundtrack as the happy couple go on the lam executing people they believe to be unworthy. If you think along the lines of 'Office Space' and that angle of comedy but much much darker.

What is truly excellent about this film is the pinpoint accuracy of the story and the way it shows us how utterly god awful modern day TV is. The immense popularity of reality shows like 'Pop Idol' and 'Big Brother' where morons are displayed for public humiliation or so called talent. This is the main focus of the plot, the spark that lights the main characters fuse for action. Other issues such as celebrity obsession, sport obsession, rudeness, lack of respect, general modern day pop culture and the whole self centered approach to today's society is targeted.

It really is a joy to watch as 'Frank' and 'Roxy' gun down a group of youths in the local cinema for talking on their mobile phones and not shutting up throughout the film (oh how many times have you thought about that...don't lie). Extremist religious protesters on a march, a bloke who takes up two car parking spaces, an abrasive politician off TV and of course a spoilt brat from one of those glorious reality TV shows.

The real mission for the pair is the judges on the popular reality show 'Superstarz' (a wonderful mockery of...well I'm sure you know). This is where they are headed, to end the lives of the pretentious, insensitive, rude, obnoxious panel of judges that make money from the 'know nothing, no talent' cultural obsession of our modern age.

Like I say I hadn't heard of either main stars for this film but boy was I impressed!. Joel Murray as 'Frank' is just your every man, a bog standard blue collar office boy, but you really find yourself wanting him to win, get his point across. This character is the champion for all the regular law abiding joe's out there in reality, people who don't try to play the system, people who pay their bills and keep to speed limits.

On the other hand the character of 'Roxy' played by Tara Lynne Barr I think is just there so boys can see a female teen kick ass. Yeah I could be wrong but seeing her gunning down perps (well kinda perps) as she leans out of their yellow Camaro with a grin on her face is...well its kinda hot. I actually think Barr slightly over acts to be honest, she's very good but a bit too over excited to be in the film methinks.

Cutting right down to the bone this film is an unapologetic, blistering, scathing backlash at our society today, or should that be American society today. Its dark as hell as Goldthwait doesn't hide from the brutal truth, statements that will slap you across the face and make you pay attention.

Its not perfect, not suppose to be a serious thriller or anything of course but I was thinking that surely by the midway point there would be masses of police after them. And surely the Camaro they stole would give them away somewhat, it is big, loud, fast and banana yellow. It does make the act of multiple murders look easy as they never seem to have any trouble from any law officials anywhere!.

A fantastic film which I hadn't even heard of until I stumbled across the poster online. The beginning is by far the best and most amusing, the plot gets a touch off base as the couple start knocking people off and the film becomes more 'routine'. But the trigger happy violence against folk you love to hate turns this into some kind of feel good road movie...worryingly.

I mean seriously, you haven't ever thought about waking on stage and blowing away certain well known reality TV judges?. Then perhaps turning to the camera and telling everybody at home what a mindless moron they are...yeah if you watch these reality shows you'd best not watch this film, it might sting.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
God Bless America (2011)
I thought it had potential for the first ten minutes.
But then, 20 minutes later, I realized the movie said all it had to say within those first ten minutes. After that, it was just one rant - ranting about the same shit but with different words - after another, and I stopped caring. I pretty much hated that movie because it lost any sense of "needing" to exist at all very quickly, which is somewhat ironic because many of the issues the character had and his rants were the very thing that the movie itself became.
Oh, I get it. Wow. That's really philosophical!

I watched:

UP - 10/10

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK - 7/10
I liked this movie, but the final few moments really didn't go over for me well at all. I can suspend my disbelief, but this movie's third act really threw out all the "good" shit up to that point and destroyed its' validity by failing to confront any of the hard hitting issues - even from a glancing perspective - presented from the very beginning.
I like a movie that isn't afraid to maintain integrity, even if it's shit. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK sets forth a principle cast of characters that are deeply disturbed even if they are well-meaning at heart, and tries very hard to make you give a shit about them regardless of these flaws. It takes work to make such broken people become endearing to the audience.
All that work goes to nothing by the time the credits role. Instead, those problems through the rest of the entire fucking movie are disregarded to set the story in a direction that feels tacked on and - well, - tacky.

I still recommend it because Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper did a damn fine job.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM

7/10
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM

One Night in Turin(2010)-8/10
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 PM
The West Wing: The Complete Sixth Season

Almost there. I know it seems like I’m rubber-stamping these 9 ratings as I go along, but the show really is that great and consistent. Its weakest episodes are still more emotionally and intellectually satisfying than a lot of shows achieve in their finest hours. And there’s a lot of shuffling of the staffer deck going on at the White House this time around, as most of the key players are shifted into new positions and storylines in the final, lame-duck year of the Bartlet presidency. It’s a year that sees the President tackling peace negotiations in the Middle East, a spirited Democratic primary involving newcoming hotshot candidate Matt Santos (Jimmy Smits) vs. a field that includes VP and presumptive nominee “Bingo” Bob Russell (Gary Cole), and the dispiriting downward spiral of Richard Schiff’s beloved communications maestro Toby Ziegler when his colleagues start jumping ship and the reality of his impending irrelevancy post-Bartlet bears down on him. Probably the best work Schiff has done on the series to date, and the episode where he and Bradley Whitford have their emotional clash, and the subsequent scene with Allison Janney afterward, was a marquee episode to underline if I had to pick favorites (“Drought Conditions”, for edification). Alan Alda is another terrific addition to the main cast as moderate Republican and presumptive GOP nominee Senator Arnie Vinick, a charismatic, principled man of conviction who has a firm belief in good governance. In other words, based on today's Washington model, a wholly fictional creation.

-> 9/10
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM
The Big Knife with Jack Palance - When a big movie star declines to sign a new contract the studio boss blackmails him into doing what he wants. There were many fine performances from the likes of Rod Steiger and Ida Lupino to go with Palance. The film got progressively darker until the very end which I was not expecting. 8/10

Frankenweenie - This was really sweet and weird at the same time. I would rather this was in color but I did like the story. 7/10
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 PM

8/10
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 PM

8/10
Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM

Rounders(1998)-8/10
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM
I saw 4 great movies yesterday

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 2009 (SWEDISH) 9/10
Pray The Devil Back to Hell 2008 (documentary) 9.5/10
The Imposter 2012 (documentary) 8/10
End of Watch 2012 9/10
Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Rewatch

6/10

One of my alltime favorite cult films.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
The Watcher - 8/10
Much better than I remembered.
The Imposter - 8/10
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Searching for Sugar Man - 7/10

One of those crazy yet true stories with a bizarrely bittersweet ending. It would have been nice if the director stopped harping on royalties since Rodriguez clearly never give two shits about money, but I can understand where the concern is coming from. Rodriguez is a bit of an enigma, someone who actually lives up to the decades of hype that built up around him. This would go well together with Winnebago Man as a double feature.

Argo - 6/10

Slightly better than The Town. A fun first half thanks to the clown car of character actors doing what they do best, but in no time Affleck is dishing out one tired Hollywoodized cliche after another. A bit disappointing since Affleck is pretty talented, but he's reminding me more of Eastwood and Spielberg with each film. And for me that's a bad thing.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM
The Pirates! Band of Misfits - There were a few funny moments but many of the jokes fell flat in this one. The story wasn't anything to get too excited about either. The fight at the end was batshit insane though. 5/10

The Mark of Zorro (1920) - The fight scenes were pretty good as Douglas Fairbanks was quite athletic. The story was pretty standard fare but I pretty much expected that. 6/10

Hit and Run - I liked this more than I expected too. Most of the characters were fun. Tom Arnold was completely nuts and Dax Shepard wasn't a completely annoying douche. The one that surprised me was Bradley Cooper - I think this is the first time I actually liked one of his performances. 7/10
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM
FLIGHT (2012) - 7/10

I wish Zemeckis would do more live action films... as long as they aren't CASTAWAY.

This was a decent movie, and I like all but the final moments when it was kinda silly.

I know this is the kind of movie that people will want to debate, and a lot of the movie's point is to be thought-provoking, it seems.
I would rather just take it as a decent drama with good performances rather than argue, justify/condone Captain Whip's situation.

Also, seeing Natalie Valasquez completely naked at the beginning of the movie makes it one of the BEST openings to ANY movie; EVER.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM
The Hobbit - 5/5
End of Watch - 4.5/5
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 AM
Hitchcock

I'm curious if Tarantino liked this. The reason is; because he always talks about how if he'd do a biopic he'd do it about one moment in life of that person. Well, this is all about that one moment - the making of Psycho - and it isn't too bad.

7/10
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 AM
Indie Game: The Movie (2012) DOC - 8.5/10

Vegucated (2010) DOC - 6/10

Django Unchained (2012) - 7.5/10
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA - 8/10

THUMB WARS - 6/10

THE WORDS - 5/10
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Earlier today, I bought and watched American Mary on Blu-ray and was hugely impressed by it! Directed by the Soska Sisters and staring a mainly female cast, the film looks at the dark and wild world of body modification and is one of the most original horror films I've seen in quite a while.

I'd definitely recommend seeing it! 9/10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	am.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	11274  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM

The Seventh Continent 7/10

From Michael Haneke the director of Funny Games, The White Ribbon and Amour which is nominated for best foreign film.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Silver Linings Playbook (8/10)
Lincoln (6/10)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
A Late Quartet - 8/10
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM

7/10

8.5/10
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2105044/?ref_=sr_1
V/H/S 8/10
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM
ParaNorman - The visuals were impressive in this animated film as was the voice acting. The story was decent with a few really good scenes that barely make this my favorite animated film of the year. 2011 was a better year for animated films though. 7/10

Silver Linings Playbook - Jennifer Lawrence was awesome in this and it's nice to see Robert DeNiro actually acting for once rather than just collecting a paycheck. Even people like Chris Tucker were decent in their roles - there just wasn't a bad performance and I really liked the story. It was filled with lunacy but it was also romantic. One of my favorites from 2012 so far. 9/10
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 AM

6/10
Closed Thread