Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Best/Worst/Favorites/Etc..
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which BTTF Do You Like Better?
Part 2 15 65.22%
Part 3 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Back to the Future 2 vs. Back to the Future 3

So having watched my BTTF trilogy Blu-Ray over the past coupla days, I think most will agree that the first flick in the series is the best. (notice I said MOST people, not necessarily ALL people!)

That aside, I used to really like part 2 second in the series and 3 third of course.

Not having seen these movies for many years, I've got to say I enjoyed the 3rd movie moreso than the 2nd. Why? I just thought they played it more straight and it didn't come off nearly as hokey and ridiculous as the 2nd IMO. Instead of four characters, Michael Fox only plays two in part 3, and it was more straight-forward and a bit less convoluted. However, I DO like how part 2 did revisit the first flick which hasn't really been done before that I know of, anyway. Or at least not before it was released.

They were saying in the special features/documentary "Well part 3 isn't really a western, in so much as it's Marty & Doc in a different setting, etc." and I'm thinking part 3 most definitely WAS a fucking western flick, and it was a pretty entertaining one at that!

So what say you? Part 2 or Part 3 and why?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Part II by 88 MPH!

It had a much cooler plot, past/present/future working material, alternate dark 1985, Biff in his real element, the most action, the hilarious conversation between Biff and young Biff(truly one of the series funniest moments), Gray's Sports Almanac, Mr. Stricklan in survivalist mode, Big Busty Lea Thompson, the Doc fainting after seeing Marty return to 1955, and Cafe 80's.

While I still like Part 1 the most as a film, Part 2 comes pretty close. II is the most fun and one of the funnest, if not the funnest, time travel flicks out there. I just don't get the whole 'Part 3 is underrated theme' that is so prevalent on here. I think Part 3 blew pretty hard, save for a very few moments.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Far prefer Part 2 to Part 3 - It's got a far better story than part 3, as they go into the future, are shocked by the alternate present that Biff creates, then they go back into the past to fix it.

Part 3 is by far the weakest of the trilogy, IMO.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM
I hear what you're saying, there's some great stuff in 2 for sure. I'm not even a western fan at all (3:10 to Yuma remake, There Will Be Blood & Assassination of Jesse James the exceptions) and just was more satisfied with 3 as a whole. The one thing I DIDN'T fucking like at all though, was the flying time machine train at the end.... Nonsense! Nothing beats the DeLorean!

As ridiculous as this may sound, I felt like part 3 was more "believable" than part 2. If ONLY because Fox wasn't playing multiple characters in the 3rd one.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM
The thing that pissed me off about the time machine train was the fact that Doc Brown couldn't get the parts he required to achieve time travel, as they wouldn't be available until the 1940's.

Plus he was against time travel due to the damage they had caused by Biff stealing the DeLorean and the Doc rescuing Clara Clayton from plunging into the ravine... So why would he build another time machine?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post
The thing that pissed me off about the time machine train was the fact that Doc Brown couldn't get the parts he required to achieve time travel, as they wouldn't be available until the 1940's.

Plus he was against time travel due to the damage they had caused by Biff stealing the DeLorean and the Doc rescuing Clara Clayton from plunging into the ravine... So why would he build another time machine?
Exactly right. I woulda been pleased had Doc just sent Marty another letter to be delivered to him in 1985, much like he did at the beginning of Part 3, in 1955. The letter would explain he & Clara have 2 kids and are living a wonderful life, etc. and that would be that.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM
i voted for back to the future part 2 for zanyness. BTTF part 3 is decent but running out of steam
Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post

Exactly right. I woulda been pleased had Doc just sent Marty another letter to be delivered to him in 1985, much like he did at the beginning of Part 3, in 1955. The letter would explain he & Clara have 2 kids and are living a wonderful life, etc. and that would be that.
Doc said in the wrong hands, time travel can be dangerous (as can ANY type of power). Biff was in it for himself; Doc was not. And, as Marty observed, did that ravine NOT being named after Clara REALLY matter in the grand scheme of things? Plus, the whole 'train time machine' at the end was meant largely as a gag -- the same way the flying DeLorean was at the end of the first one (when the sequels hadn't even been planned yet). Also, as Doc said, he had to come back and get Einstein. And who's to say Doc didn't destroy it once he got back to the past? (Granted, that's a helluva lot of work to put into a single trip. )

It's funny how back in the day most people seemed to prefer Part III, whereas it seems nowadays Part II has practically usurped it. Zemeckis himself said on the DVDs that he felt Part II suffered a bit because he couldn't give it his full attention in the editing process, since he was simultaneously filming Part III. I'd still like to one day see him put out a Blu-ray of all 3 films edited together into one seamless 5-hour flick... which is really what it is anyway. Yes, there's the issue of 2 different actresses playing Jennifer, but fuck it. : P

Last edited by hoojib127; 01-26-2013 at 08:43 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Part 3.

I'm a fan of westerns and BTTF 3 did a really good job of capturing the Western feel and paying homage to several Western classics, including Once Upon a Time in the West and Eastwood's Man with No Name trilogy - essentially Sergio Leone westerns - and even Outlaw Josey Wales a little bit. And I love how Marty takes Clint Eastwood's name in the movie - that was a nice touch.

I also liked how Doc was given a love interest in this movie - giving him something to do other than be the wacky scientist.

I like the second movie, especially how it interweaves its storyline with that of the first. Still, I love the third's vision of the Old West and how it pays homage to so many good westerns.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 AM
I love them both but I slightly prefer Part 2 due to the paradoxes and stuff. That was very cool.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 AM
Part 3
The second going was all over the place with goofiness all the way through, the hydrating pizza maker for instance, come on!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Part III is more comprehensive as a whole, but Part II is darker.

Voted on Part II, for the darker reason and I love that scene in the middle where Doc explains to Marty what happened. I do really really like Part II though!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM
I thought Part 3 was a lot more entertaining and funnier than part 2, I liked how the roles of Marty and Doc were reversed even including the dialogue (Great Scott, This is heavy) and I preferred the more comical aspects of Mad Dog Tannen making him more of a buffoon than a total bastard in part 2.

And regardless of how little sense it made, I liked the ending with the train.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
10-6. Mind-boggling.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
10-6. Mind-boggling.
Why? Should the descrepancy be bigger in your opinion? Should Part 2 be killing Part 3, ya think?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Why? Should the descrepancy be bigger in your opinion? Should Part 2 be killing Part 3, ya think?
Absolutely.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Back to the Future II is sorta like Die Hard II. It just feels like a lesser repeat of the first one and not very interesting.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Both 8s but I much prefer II.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Back to the Future II is sorta like Die Hard II. It just feels like a lesser repeat of the first one and not very interesting.
... although Part II did something that, to the best of my knowledge, had never really been done in movies up to that point: taking scenes from a previous movie and showing them from a different perspective/in a different context.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 AM
I love Part III and think it's highly underrated, but Part II definitely wins it. Always preferred the future scenes to the past scenes.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM
The second is my favorite of the trilogy and the third is my least favorite, so pretty easy choice. III is a definite drop in quality from the previous two, but it's still not bad I don't think.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
The second easily. Came close to the original for me. The third was good, but the worst of the trilogy.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Absolutely.
13-7 now. Three more people voted for Part 2 vs. only one more vote for Part 3. It's winning by a good margin I'd say.

I disagree, but it is what it is.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Quote:
13-7 now. Three more people voted for Part 2 vs. only one more vote for Part 3. It's winning by a good margin I'd say.

I disagree, but it is what it is.
It's still way too puzzling. Then again, 6 people from this site think Crystal Skull is the best Indiana Jones. Go figure.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Quote:
It's still way too puzzling. Then again, 6 people from this site think Crystal Skull is the best Indiana Jones. Go figure.
Well hopefully THOSE 6 people and the 6 people who voted BTTF Part 3 as being the better sequel, aren't the same!

Actually 1 of them wouldn't be, since I was one of the six who voted here. Raiders is the best Indiana Jones flick, followed by Last Crusade.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Well hopefully THOSE 6 people and the 6 people who voted BTTF Part 3 as being the better sequel, aren't the same!

Actually 1 of them wouldn't be, since I was one of the six who voted here. Raiders is the best Indiana Jones flick, followed by Last Crusade.
Last Crusade
Raiders
Temple Of Doom
Crystal Skull

At least you weren't one of those six!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Last Crusade
Raiders
Temple Of Doom
Crystal Skull

At least you weren't one of those six!
I actually liked Last Crusade the best of all of them. However, I believe Raiders is the better movie overall.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
I actually liked Last Crusade the best of all of them. However, I believe Raiders is the better movie overall.
It's close. The opening of Raiders is stellar, no doubt and the map room scene may be my favorite of the entire series. Last Crusade's story just flowed better and it had a better script and overall better villains, plus a better and classic ending.