Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Just watched the Alvarado vs. Rios fight on HBO on Demand. Whatta fight that was! Alvarado was winning that shit, until Rios just came back and wobbled him. I also saw the Pacquiao/Marquez 4 fight on Demand and it was fucking fantastic as well.

Come to think of it, both fights were pretty similar & damned exciting!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Just watched the Alvarado vs. Rios fight on HBO on Demand. Whatta fight that was! Alvarado was winning that shit, until Rios just came back and wobbled him. I also saw the Pacquiao/Marquez 4 fight on Demand and it was fucking fantastic as well.

Come to think of it, both fights were pretty similar & damned exciting!
Yes, those fights were masterpieces. I'm glad you enjoyed them. However, fights like that only happen two or three times a year, tops. If you're willing to sit through the garbage fights (i.e. anything with Miguel Vazquez or Jonathan Gonzalez) then you'll get to see the guys who always get sucked into slugfests (Brandon Rios, Juanma Lopez, Lucas Matthysse). It's great you're enjoying these fights and I hope you have the patience to experience the great ones as they happen and truly appreciate them as the rare gems they are.

If you want to see another brilliant fight from 2012, my personal favorite was Orlando Salido vs. Juanma Lopez II. Brilliant two-way action bout, Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, absolutely brutal and dramatic. Surely on YouTube.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
Yes, those fights were masterpieces. I'm glad you enjoyed them. However, fights like that only happen two or three times a year, tops. If you're willing to sit through the garbage fights (i.e. anything with Miguel Vazquez or Jonathan Gonzalez) then you'll get to see the guys who always get sucked into slugfests (Brandon Rios, Juanma Lopez, Lucas Matthysse). It's great you're enjoying these fights and I hope you have the patience to experience the great ones as they happen and truly appreciate them as the rare gems they are.

If you want to see another brilliant fight from 2012, my personal favorite was Orlando Salido vs. Juanma Lopez II. Brilliant two-way action bout, Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, absolutely brutal and dramatic. Surely on YouTube.
Will haveta look into it Brando. Appreciate the recommendation & after watching several other Boxing fights, you're 100% right. There's a lotta shit to wade through in order to get to the good stuff!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Golovkin vs. Rosado was my favorite fight tonight. Rosado would've pushed Golovkin even harder had that cut not been so bad. Golovkin is a bit overrated but I think his power is such that he can neutralize everyone else's abilities. He's like Edwin Valero with actual technique.

Compubox numbers were bullshit all night long. When are we going to get rid of this shit? It clearly doesn't work.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
I think Golovkin is pretty solid, but no threat to Sergio. At least not based on wh at I saw yesterday. They said he was sick, so it's hard to evaluate him, but he looked way too slow and stiff to bang with Martinez. He's very sound technically, though, but he just seems a little too stiff for someone like Martinez. I think a Golovkin/Chavez Jr. fight would be pretty fun. Two guys who love to stalk and exchange. Would be quite a fun brawl.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I think Golovkin is pretty solid, but no threat to Sergio. At least not based on wh at I saw yesterday. They said he was sick, so it's hard to evaluate him, but he looked way too slow and stiff to bang with Martinez. He's very sound technically, though, but he just seems a little too stiff for someone like Martinez. I think a Golovkin/Chavez Jr. fight would be pretty fun. Two guys who love to stalk and exchange. Would be quite a fun brawl.
I'd give Golovkin a good shot against Sergio, mainly because of the style matchup. I think he's naturally a better puncher and has better technique. A guy like Sergio, who keeps his hands down and frequently gets hit, is going to have a helluva time trying to beat someone who's heavy-handed and accurate.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Maybe I'm judging Golovkin too much on this past performance where he was apparently very ill, but I don't think he'd ever lay a hand on Martinez. Just way too slow and predictable. He looked like he was lumbering out there.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Maybe I'm judging Golovkin too much on this past performance where he was apparently very ill, but I don't think he'd ever lay a hand on Martinez. Just way too slow and predictable. He looked like he was lumbering out there.
It wasn't his best performance, I'll grant you that. I think it was a combination of being sick and having an opponent who was better than his record indicated. I'm not sure who'd win the fight, but I doubt Golovkin wouldn't lay a hand on Martinez, who isn't exactly Pernell Whitaker in terms of defense. I really hope that fight happens sometime soon because both guys are big punchers with defensive liabilities.

Speaking of sick punchers, Lucas Matthysse might be the best puncher in the sport P4P. Look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNR4KODPck
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Adrien Broner may be annoying to a lot of people, but he's going to be a hard guy to beat, especially when he lets those hands go. I just wish he didn't sit around so much and let his opponents dictate the pace. He gives away the rounds and looks less dominant than he really is. That's why so many people thought he lost to Ponce de Leon and the first two rounds against Rees. When he stops aping Mayweather and actually lets his hands go, he's virtually unbeatable.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Love Broner. I understand why he copies Mayweather. Floyd is the most successful boxer of this generation and, perhaps more importantly, in perfect health (aside from brittle hands). Broner, for my money, is already a top 10 fighter.

Speaking of Mayweather, how about this Showtime deal? Came out of nowhere. I think it pretty much solidifies Canelo/Mayweather in September, but I feel it might be harder for him to make other big fights.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Love Broner. I understand why he copies Mayweather. Floyd is the most successful boxer of this generation and, perhaps more importantly, in perfect health (aside from brittle hands). Broner, for my money, is already a top 10 fighter.

Speaking of Mayweather, how about this Showtime deal? Came out of nowhere. I think it pretty much solidifies Canelo/Mayweather in September, but I feel it might be harder for him to make other big fights.
In terms of natural talent, Broner is probably top 3 in the world. He's like a hybrid of Mayweather and Roy Jones. He mimics a technician, but his style is more improvisational and free-flowing. He's built more like an athlete. Aside from occasionally not letting his hands go and yelling after every punch, I really dig the way this kid fights.

The Mayweather-Showtime deal won't hurt any major promotions. Any major promotions including Mayweather are going to involve Golden Boy/Al Haymon is some way. Mayweather doesn't fight Top Rank guys and Showtime's new executive is a former Golden Boy attorney, so they see eye-to-eye. Nothing changes except the network. It'll be interesting to hear Al Bernstein call a Mayweather fight, but other than that this isn't anything wild.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 PM
I've given up wondering when Hopkins is going to slow down to the point where he isn't a top 2-3 guy in his division. He just keeps coming back. I would really love to see him fight the winner of Froch-Kessler II. There aren't a lot of guys left for him to fight, but a fight with one of those two would be epic. He can't beat Ward or Dawson and he's beaten the other top guys. Maybe Nathan Cleverly, once he's done fighting nobodies.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 AM
That Hopkins performance was brilliant. As a boxing purist and someone who used to box a bit, I love watching him and Mayweather. No wasted movement, no bouncing around aimlessly, always balanced, always throwing from precise angles... it's a thing of beauty.

I don't know what's next for Hopkins. I want him to retire before he gets really hurt, but the fact is he's the best defensive fighter of his generation and hasn't really taken a lot of abuse over the years (and still doesn't). I know he won't fight Andre Ward. He challenged Sergio Martinez at one point, saying he'd fight Sergio if he came up to 168 (he also basically said Sergio's style is a joke and he would dominate him) but I don't see that happening.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Hopkins hung up the gloves after this one. Not to be a buzzkill, but I don't think he added much to his legacy last night. Most of Hopkins' recent victims have been young, come-forward guys who lack technical creativity, and Cloud fit that profile perfectly. We saw against Dawson that skilled boxers are simply too good for him at this stage of his career. If he couldn't beat Dawson and openly acknowledges that Ward would ace him, then why linger around? As amazing as his career has been, we're a little too familiar with it at this point.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Kind of upset I missed the Bradley fight. I was out and didn't make an effort to watch it with friends or DVR it. Apparently it was quite the scrap. Bradley seems to be trying to shed the "boring" label he's been given. Definitely gonna try and check it out of it ever replays.

As for Hopkins, while I agree beating Cloud didn't do much for his legacy, at this point, nothing really will. He's established himself as an all-time great. The only things he can do to improve his legacy would be to beat Andre Ward or win a title at Cruiserweight... neither of which is possible. So while I don't see his legacy improving at all, I'd still like to watch him fight just because I'm a purist and love watching how tactical he is in the ring.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Apparently, Robert Guerrero went on the 700 Club with Pat Robertson to promote the fight.

For the first time in probably a decade, I really hope Mayweather knocks his opponent the fuck out....
Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM
I love Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Yeah, has the potential to be the best recent trilogy other than Marquez/Vasquez (no, there was no 4th fight).
Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Did either of you see the Maicelo vs. Nugayaev fight on ESPN's Friday Night Fights this week? That was fun to watch! The commentators kept telling us how popular Maicelo was in Peru, has his own clothing line, etc. and that he may've been a bit undeserving of his fame & fortune there. Nugayaev sure as hell proved that!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Did either of you see the Maicelo vs. Nugayaev fight on ESPN's Friday Night Fights this week? That was fun to watch! The commentators kept telling us how popular Maicelo was in Peru, has his own clothing line, etc. and that he may've been a bit undeserving of his fame & fortune there. Nugayaev sure as hell proved that!
That was a lot of fun to watch.

Rigondeaux/Donaire was also fun to watch. And while I'm not shocked Rigondeaux won (everyone said this would be like Mayweather/Pacquiao, and I always thought the slick Mayweather would blast Pacman), I was a little disgusted with what Donaire said after the fight. Didn't study film? Didn't work directly with his trainer? Are you KIDDING ME???

Good fight. And the guys at HBO are so arrogant. I love how they say someone was close to "getting it right" when they were close to agreeing with them, implying that they are always right. Get out of here with that. Granted, I felt Rigondeaux won fairly easily (I had it 9-3), and I can see it being more lopsided, but I can't stand the arrogance of the commentators during the fight.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 AM
I didn't think it was possible to look like Willie Pep against someone like Donaire, but what Rigondeaux showed last night was masterful boxing at its absolute finest. And the fans were BOOING what they were seeing? Not every fight can be Rios-Alvarado. If they were, we'd get sick of it and start demanding better technical displays.

Donaire isn't accustomed to losing, so I can forgive his excuse-making post-fight. It's a sign of someone who's really frustrated with himself. He looked heavy and slow, which isn't what he is. His corner seemed befuddled and couldn't tell him anything except be aggressive and cut off the ring (Duh). Maybe he'll change some things around once he comes back from his well-deserved break.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I understand the boos, given the venue and the build up. The biggest selling point on Donaire to a casual boxing fan is that he is like Pacquiao, so I'm sure a lot of people at Radio City were expecting to see him force action the way Manny does (and casual fans are probably only familiar with Manny and Mayweather). So I get it. But I was surprised that some boxing writers who actually understand the sport (like Dan Rafael) thought it sucked. I thought it was like one of those physical 84-80 NBA Playoff games, or a hard fought 17-14 NFC Championship Game that casual fans wouldn't appreciate, but people who understand the sport fundamentally would. Guess I was wrong.

And just to clarify, I'm not upset that Doinare said those things after the fight because they could be construed as excuses (all boxers make excuses, and he didn't do it classlessly like David Haye and his infamous toe). I'm just dumbfounded that, going into his hardest fight, HE DID NOTHING TO PREPARE. How could he overlook the next best fighter in the division? How did a great trainer like Robert Garcia allow that to happen, too?

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 04-14-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 PM
What do you guys think about Mayweather jumping ship from HBO to Showtime? I guess he's gonna make huge money (as usual) but found it interesting he "switched sides" so to speak.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM
I like it in theory, although it isn't materializing the way I thought it would.

I thought the move to Showtime was to create a mega card in May that would have Canelo Alvarez on the undercard. I mean, the biggest star in Mexico fighting on Cinco de Mayo on the undercard of a main event that includes the biggest star in boxing? That had potential to do almost 2 million ppv buys, and would lead up to a huge September fight (assuming Mayweather and Canelo won) between the two stars. But it didn't happen that way, as Mayweather didn't want to agree to fight Canelo in September.

So, when I say I like it in theory, it's because Mayweather can fight more often on Showtime. The contract, I believe, is for up to 6 fights in the next 30 months. Mayweather has rarely fought twice in a calendar year, so if this actually happens, we'd get to see more of him. Seeing more of the biggest star in boxing is always a good thing.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
I like it in theory, although it isn't materializing the way I thought it would.

I thought the move to Showtime was to create a mega card in May that would have Canelo Alvarez on the undercard. I mean, the biggest star in Mexico fighting on Cinco de Mayo on the undercard of a main event that includes the biggest star in boxing? That had potential to do almost 2 million ppv buys, and would lead up to a huge September fight (assuming Mayweather and Canelo won) between the two stars. But it didn't happen that way, as Mayweather didn't want to agree to fight Canelo in September.

So, when I say I like it in theory, it's because Mayweather can fight more often on Showtime. The contract, I believe, is for up to 6 fights in the next 30 months. Mayweather has rarely fought twice in a calendar year, so if this actually happens, we'd get to see more of him. Seeing more of the biggest star in boxing is always a good thing.
Pretty crazy, but absolutely. Was reading that in The Ring magazine and certainly can't argue that more of Mayweather isn't a bad thing for sure! Thing is, now that he's required to fight more often, it's also a bigger possibility for him to actually lose a fight here eventually.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Quote:
I understand the boos, given the venue and the build up. The biggest selling point on Donaire to a casual boxing fan is that he is like Pacquiao, so I'm sure a lot of people at Radio City were expecting to see him force action the way Manny does (and casual fans are probably only familiar with Manny and Mayweather). So I get it. But I was surprised that some boxing writers who actually understand the sport (like Dan Rafael) thought it sucked. I thought it was like one of those physical 84-80 NBA Playoff games, or a hard fought 17-14 NFC Championship Game that casual fans wouldn't appreciate, but people who understand the sport fundamentally would. Guess I was wrong.
I understand casual fans booing. There wasn't a lot of landed leather in that fight and two counterpunchers usually don't create much excitement. What I don't get is why a lot of people, Rafael included, say that Rigondeaux was running and not fighting. It wasn't like he was fleeing and jabbing the whole time, a la Andre Dirrell. He was slipping and moving, brilliantly from side to side, and coming back up with counters EVERY SINGLE TIME. It wasn't an ugly fight the way a low scoring playoff game is sometimes ugly. Aesthetically, it was a brilliant display of skill and speed that is extremely uncommon. It was just disappointing that nobody got concussed.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Great skillful fight last night between Canelo and Trout. I scored it for Trout 114-113, but it could've gone either way. Paulie Malignaggi was right when he said that the 118-109 scorecard looked like it had been filled in beforehand.

Open scoring is bullshit and should've been done away with a long time ago. I'm tired of seeing fights take place in Texas. The fans are great, but their commissions sucks and their way of doing things is backwards.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I enjoyed watching Trout/Alvarez, too. I thought Trout would win, but I scored it for Canelo. Gotta give the dude props. His head movement was spectacular (seriously, when did he learn how to do that?) and his punches just did a lot more damage. Most of Trout's combinations actually missed.

I hated the open scoring, as it took a lot of the drama out of what could have been an epic 12th round. But whatever. Still a solid fight.

What's next for Canelo? He won't get Mayweather, he's not quite big enough to move up to middleweight (unless he fights another small middleweight like Sergio Martinez, but it's highly unlikely), and I don't think any other welterweights are capable of moving up to challenge him. I'd like to see Canelo/Cotto in what could be a sick action scrap, bu t something tells me Cotto is damaged goods.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Random thoughts:

I love Amir Khan. His chin is weak, but his heart is simply remarkable. He'll be hard to beat simply because he wants it more than anyone else. He's the Terry Norris of this generation.

I thought Martinez deserved his win, but he doesn't look like the guy who knocked out Paul Williams with a single blow. Maybe it's the way his opponents fight, or the fact that he's an older fighter, but something doesn't add up to what we saw three years ago.

Chris Arreola may need to find a new line of work.

Danny Garcia is a fun fighter, but I'm not convinced he's the best at 140.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
I thought Martinez deserved his win
Sorry, meant to say Murray here. Thought he won pretty clearly, IMO. Not a great decision.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Couple reactions to some recent boxing news:

I liked how Mayweather reacted to his fight with Cotto, admitting that he needed to work on his defense instead of trying to convince us he wanted to give the fans an exciting fight. His defense was on point last night.

I really wish Mares could've worked out a deal to fight Donaire or Rigo. I hate boxing politics. That kid is the truth.

Martinez needs a nice, long rest, but he deserved his win against Murray. Murray, for his part, is tough as nails and can give any one at 160 some problems.

I wish Adrien Broner didn't move up 2 weight classes. So much talent at 140 I would've liked to see him fight.

Amir Khan is grossly overrated.

Cris Arreola is fat.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
I really wish Mares could've worked out a deal to fight Donaire or Rigo. I hate boxing politics. That kid is the truth.
I'm a big Mares believer myself. He seemed to be slipping in the middle rounds and got caught a lot, but he stood up to a big puncher while moving up in weight and never seemed badly hurt. He also drilled a guy with only one previous KO loss. That said, the stoppage was fucking joke. Yes, Ponce was probably on the way out, but we'll never know because the ref pulled the plug in such a ridiculously premature manner. Such a shame that all the good featherweights belong to Top Rank because I'd love to see Mares continue this gauntlet of great opposition.

Mayweather looked like Mayweather, which is to say he looked great but nothing we haven't seen before. Guerrero did some good work but it never amounted to what Floyd did.

Funny how Klitschko fought yesterday and nobody even gives a shit that he drilled another overmatched opponent. Mayweather overshadows everyone in this sport.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Matthyse... BEAST
Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Matthysse is like a mini-Golovkin. Except for Mayweather, I don't think anyone at 140 or 147 can beat him. Too strong and too capable of finding a target. Garcia and Khan might want to get the hell out of that division.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Yeah I'd LOVE to see Mayweather/Matthyse, but it won't happen any time soon. Mayweather is more interested in Alvarez (if he wants big money ) or Alexander (if he just wants to beat up some bum).

Matthyse, though, is an animal, and I love his attitude. Because he feels he got robbed against Judah and Alexander, he admits that he's going for reckless knockouts every time. Given his strength, accuracy (almost reminds me of a younger Trinidad in that regard, especially with the power in both hands), and chin (took some bombs from Zab), he's going to just stalk all day. I think he'd destroy Khan because his chin sucks. His likely next opponent, Danny Garcia, is a tougher matchup. I think it happens in the fall, and I'd pick Matthyse in that one, too.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Froch-Kessler II was a great fight, but it seemed to me like the fight was way closer than it was presented to us. Kessler's jab landed a lot harder and his combinations were more precise. I would love to see a third fight because I don't see a whole lot separating the two.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Some great fights this weekend. I saw some things I thought I'd never see: Alfredo Angulo quit in a fight, Erislandy Lara be entertaining, and never wanting to see Yuriorkis Gamboa ever again.

I also thought that the ref in Dawson-Stevenson stopped it too early. Yeah, Dawson was probably finished, as he doesn't have a good chin or recovery powers, but as champion he deserved better. Too many refs don't realize that the guys are FIGHTING for a reason. You can rule on the side of safety, but what they are doing is inherently unsafe. Give the champ his due and let him be finished while on his shield. Shit stoppage.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Nice performance by Broner last night, save for his classless attitude post fight. Say what you want about Floyd Mayweather during fight build ups, but he's always been classy afterward. Broner really came off as a dick.

Anyway, I wish Broner didn't jump over 140. There's so much talent at that weight class, and since he never wants to fight Floyd, I'm not sure who's out there at 147 that would make for a big fight. Would rather have seen him go to 140 for a fight with Khan or Matthysse.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Sorry, but I'm backing off the Broner bandwagon for a bit until he shows something truly special against a higher caliber of fighter. I like Malignaggi a lot but he's a B+/A- level fighter at best. Broner's offense is anemic at times and even though he defends well he gets hit.

Basically, Broner looks like Andre Berto with better technique to me. Really athletic and strong but not quite sure of his ring personality. He'll surely get better as a fighter but unless he shows that improvement soon I don't think he'll be nearly the fighter that Floyd is.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM
I give Broner a lot of credit for moving up two weight classes and not looking any slower. Dude is built like an action figure.

I don't consider him "elite" yet, and I would still have preferred him going to 140 to fight someone like Khan, Matthyse, or Garcia, but whatever.