Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Dredd DVD Video Quality?

I bought Dredd on DVD and I noticed that the video quality seems to be a little blurry and not look as good as some other DVDs. I don't know if it's the way they shot it or what but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this too.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 PM
I can't speak for the DVD, but the BD has a good amount of grain in it, which I have a feeling is how it was filmed.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmushroom View Post
I can't speak for the DVD, but the BD has a good amount of grain in it, which I have a feeling is how it was filmed.
The main scene that sticks out is the scene where Mama and the henchman are walking through a hall talking about one of their men that got captured. That scene was very grainy.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Ya.. the movie was shot with Digital vs. Film, and I have noticed when you shoot Digital you always get that Grain, which I hate (I am a Film Purist and love the look of 35mm Film Stock)

You can really notice it in Michael Mann movies like Miami Vice.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Actually, hi-def digital can be grain-free, which many film "purists" hate because they like the "organic" look of natural film grain.
With that said, COLLATERAL and MIAMI VICE used standard definition digital cameras, also with extremely high-speed stock (meaning that the grain will be much more apparent) - I would assume as much as 3600 ISO - and is actually Mann's artistic choice. It's most noticeable of course in COLLATERAL for example, during handheld night shots in the streets of L.A.

With DREDD, I assume there was an extremely high grain film stock and/or digital exposure setting, causing an intentional amount of grain in several scenes. They look even more "grainy" if it's in a low-light setting.

I haven't watched the DVD, but the blu ray does have several scenes that are rather grainy, which is quite a juxtaposition to other scenes, most especially the slo-mo moments with blown contrasts very heavy color saturation.

I remember the scene you're mentioning with Mama in the halls, and yes it's rather grainy/blurry.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:37 AM
Well that's your first mistake, buying on DVD, lol. Blurry is DVDs game son. I bought the blu a week ago and it is sharp, but grain comes thru, mainly as the style the film was shot at.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huttjos View Post
Well that's your first mistake, buying on DVD, lol. Blurry is DVDs game son. I bought the blu a week ago and it is sharp, but grain comes thru, mainly as the style the film was shot at.
DVDs are blurry? Since when? The picture quality is fine.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Ever since bluray came out I just feel DVDs are subpar in quality, which they are when you compare. The only time I buy a DVD is when I want a really obscure movie where the likelihood of it ever coming on blu is very slim.