Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 AM
Any love for the Blade movies on here?

Personally I think the first two Blade movies are some of the best super-hero movies out there, but they don't seem to get much love.

Maybe people forget about them because Blade was a couple of years before the whole comic-book movie extravaganza kicked off. I mean Wesley Snipes was born to play that role and these were some eolid R-Rated movies.

Even the third one was alright, despite Blade having to take a backseat to fucking Jessica Biel and Dracula or Drake was a pretty shitty villain.

Does anyone know if they're making any more?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 AM
I've only seen the 1st one and loved the hell out of it. Will probably watch the sequels sometime soon
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 AM
I love the Blade movies. Even the third one. I mean, the third film has a few problems. I hate how they kill Whistler and the fact that his death didn't seem to matter much. Barely any reaction from everyone, even Blade himself. I also thought their version of Dracula sucked. I loved Dominic Purcell on Prison Break, but he is incredibly bland as "Drake".

The second one is definitely the best. It has the best action and the best story.

Wesley Snipes is suppose to come out of prison very soon. Hopefully that means they can do another one. I'd definitely would be up for another one.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
The first Blade is an overrated action flick. I just don't get the end, Deacon needs all the elder vampires to complete a ritual but he already killed two of them before he could start. How the fuck is it possible to complete the ritual then?

The second Blade is awesome. Luke Goss makes a great villain and the Reapers look fantastic. The fight scenes are good too.

Blade Trinity is the weakest. Ryan Reynolds was the best part about it and he steals Wesley Snipes' thunder as the charismatic Hannibal King. Oh and that 1.5 second shot that reveals that Parker Posey wears stockings was nice too. Fapppity-fap-fap.

It's strange how people complain Twilight pussified vampires when the vampires in Blade are fragile as fuck. Just about anything makes them explode into dust. If they step into a thumbtack it's bye bye for them.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
it would have to be a silver thumbtack, but yes, you're right...

I love the Blade series myself. Can't express a lot for Trinity, but I enjoyed the series. I'm even watching the Marvel "anime," which isn't as bad as I thought.

I really hope Wesley Snipes does another one...you know, after he gets outta jail.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
Personally I think the first two Blade movies are some of the best super-hero movies out there, but they don't seem to get much love.

Maybe people forget about them because Blade was a couple of years before the whole comic-book movie extravaganza kicked off. I mean Wesley Snipes was born to play that role and these were some eolid R-Rated movies.

Even the third one was alright, despite Blade having to take a backseat to fucking Jessica Biel and Dracula or Drake was a pretty shitty villain.

Does anyone know if they're making any more?
They are cool and slick flicks. The first one is almost really good. If not for the horrible CGI at the end and a couple cheesy moments, it would of been perfect. The second one has more horrid CGI but the team assembled is pretty cool even though they are corny. They fall more in the guilty pleasure category than good movie category for me.

And I wouldn't say they are among the best super hero movies made. Off the top of my head, I would rank, RDJ's Tony Stark, The Dark Knight (because of Ledger), Kick Ass, The Punisher, Hellboy, The Crow, and The Watchmen ahead of them.

Disagree completely on the third one, it is unwatchable IMO.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I just recently rewatched the 'Blade' movies. In fact, I made a point on facebook (of all places) that the movies are far superior to the comics, terms of the titular character itself. Just a quick comparison:

Comic:

-Human that hates vampires.
-No superhuman feats or skills.
-Crafted his own weaponry and is a master of using them all.
-Didn't gain any sort of superhuman powers until he made contact with Morbius.
-Worst of all...no Whistler.

Movie:

-Half-human, half-vampire, which all of their strengths and none of their weaknesses (sight, smell, hearing, etc).
-Whistler crafts all of his weapons...and their badassness.
-Needs a serum or blood to keep vampiric thirst at bay.
-Superhuman feats of strength and master of all weapons.

The movies far outweigh the comics, which NEVER happens. They somehow managed to take a badass vampire hunter and turn him into a SUPER BADASS vampire hunter. The movie movie lacked in a lot of areas, especially the villain. Really? They call him "Drake" instead of fucking DRACULA?! Dominic Purcell seemed to have phoned in that role as there was literally nothing to it. It was easily the worst incarnation of Dracula and easily the worst villain in the entire series.

In any case, the first two damned good though. As far as which one is better? I think it's a close tie, but the second takes the extra crumbles from the cake.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm with the consensus here: first two films are terrific, especially Blade II.

No one has ever said the word "Tovarich" with more style and menace than Snipes did at the end of the first one.

And Leonor Varela should be a major star.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Haven't seen the first one since it came out, so I don't really remember it, but Blade II is pretty awesome. The third one is bad though.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Looks like everyone is in agreement that Trinity is shit, and it is.

The first two are awesome though. Snipes is absolutely badass in the role, lets off some great lines ("Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up a hill" is classic just because of how random it is), and is one of the few reasons to even bother with the third one, even though he looks bored in it.

Having Guillermo Del Toro directing the second one was a huge plus as well.

Here's hoping more Blade movies get made.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
The first one was OK and I am being kind. The second I just hated.

The concept was sound. I would seriously consider checking out a reboot
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 AM
I've seen Blade and Blade II multiple times and I love the hell out of them..Only saw Trinity once though and thought it was pretty meh
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM
IMO: Blade was decent but nothing special, Blade II was really entertaining and better than the first, and Trinity was completely awful. That shitty movie left a bad taste in my mouth about the entire franchise.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 AM
I am a big fan of the trilogy. However, Blade 2 is my favorite of the three. I actually loved Dominic Purcell as Drake.

"Mother Fucker... I like that."
Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Wasn't a big fan of the first one, but it's tons better than the third which completely sucked. I love the second one; del Toro really did a great job of meshing the story and character with his own brand of style and filmmaking.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 AM
the first two were good to great. have not seen the thrid one yet even though i have it because it complete the series
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I really enjoy the series and am in the minority in liking part 3 over part 2 - although the Blade vs Nomak fight at the end of 2 is easily the best showdown of the series.

The behind the scenes stuff on Blade Trinity revealed that it was originally to be a very different movie. The original plot was essentially what became Daybreakers: Vampires had taken over the world and Blade was the last one left fighting them.

Did anyone watch the Blade TV series? I checked out the first episode and found it pretty disappointing. Beyond the obvious budget limits and a lead actor who just didn't have the presence to play Blade, the story started to go in a really stupid direction. It reminded me of shows like Whitchblade and Highlander.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM
I love the first 2, and hated the third. The second one is my favorite of the bunch, and it is the only time Blade ever goes up against a truly frightening villain (a least as far as the movies go).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post
I just recently rewatched the 'Blade' movies. In fact, I made a point on facebook (of all places) that the movies are far superior to the comics, terms of the titular character itself. Just a quick comparison:

Comic:

-Human that hates vampires.
-No superhuman feats or skills.
-Crafted his own weaponry and is a master of using them all.
-Didn't gain any sort of superhuman powers until he made contact with Morbius.
-Worst of all...no Whistler.

Movie:

-Half-human, half-vampire, which all of their strengths and none of their weaknesses (sight, smell, hearing, etc).
-Whistler crafts all of his weapons...and their badassness.
-Needs a serum or blood to keep vampiric thirst at bay.
-Superhuman feats of strength and master of all weapons.

The movies far outweigh the comics, which NEVER happens. They somehow managed to take a badass vampire hunter and turn him into a SUPER BADASS vampire hunter. The movie movie lacked in a lot of areas, especially the villain. Really? They call him "Drake" instead of fucking DRACULA?! Dominic Purcell seemed to have phoned in that role as there was literally nothing to it. It was easily the worst incarnation of Dracula and easily the worst villain in the entire series.

In any case, the first two damned good though. As far as which one is better? I think it's a close tie, but the second takes the extra crumbles from the cake.
Blade had vampire abilities since the 70s. He was always superhuman. Morbius made him stronger and more Vampire-like, but in the comics Frost bit Blade's mother while she was pregnant. This bite passed some abilities to Blade. The movie just pushed those abilities a bit further.

Also, Whistler was originally created for the old 90's Spiderman: The Animated Series. Plus, in SM:TAS, Blade was exactly like he was in the movie, he had all of the Vampire's abilities and none of their weaknesses. The movie took more than a few pointers from this series.

One more thing, in the comics, the decedents of Dracula changed their name to Drake to hide the fact that they were decedents. And as a disguise, Dracula took on the alias of Justin Drake.

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 02-15-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
The first 2 Blade movies are great, if not entirely consistent (Frost can go out in the sun wearing sunblock and sunglasses but Reinhardt's hand starts to smoke in the sun even though he's wearing a heavy, thick glove).
Great action.
Blade 3 is crap.
Top to bottom.
The only reason Ryan Reynolds is aloud to steal the show is because Snipes didn't even want to be there.
The tension between he and Goyer really comes through in Snipes performance ... or lack of performance.
Besides again being less then consistent with either of the other two films, Trinity really highlights that Goyer needs a rewrite by a talented director.
Norrington and Del Torro both took good stories and made them great movies, David Goyer had complete control of Trinity and turned out a turd which ruined not only the Blade series, but the potential spin off as well.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I like the first two Blade movies, and couldn't make it through the third. I wasn't in the mood and it was really irritating me, so I ended up leaving the room. Haven't been able to go back to it, and kind of don't want to.

I've seen the first one many times, while the second only a few, so I can only say I prefer the first one just because I remember it so well. I liked the sleek ick vibe that only the 90s could produce.

However, Nomak is a much more compelling villain. Much more badass, much more menacing, much more tragic. The things I didn't like about the 2nd was the weird techno music with slo-mo walking, and the main actress with her monotone delivery. I felt like she sucked the life out of that character. But I did love the Nomak/Blade fight at the end. Good stuff.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 AM
"Blade Trinity" may be my 3rd favorite movie ever, yep.

I recognize that it isn't spectacular, but I still love it. Ryan Reynolds is good comic relief. And I actually really like Blade in it.

Love the first one. I'm iffy on the second one, believe it or not. I thought that "Vampire King" dude was really stupid. But I love the stuff with Blade and the other Vampire Killers.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 AM
YEAH! the first two (especially 2) are awesome. Trinity is much worse, but still watchable. I really hope there's a fourth one on the way, but looking at Snipes's situation and the fact he's not getting younger it seems unlikely.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM
With the problems on set between Goyer and Snipes and Snipes lawsuit against the producers afterward I wouldn't be surprised to see a reboot before we saw a 4th film, assuming Blade is popular enough to warrant a remake (I personally love the first 2, but don't think demand would be there).
Of course Hollywood being Hollywood, there's always the draw of cash to make actors and producers kiss and make up.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I love Blade and Blade 2 as individual movies. Can't really remember a thing about Blade 3.

As a series the movies are extremely disconnected though. They work better as stand alone movies.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed View Post
With the problems on set between Goyer and Snipes and Snipes lawsuit against the producers afterward I wouldn't be surprised to see a reboot before we saw a 4th film, assuming Blade is popular enough to warrant a remake (I personally love the first 2, but don't think demand would be there).
Of course Hollywood being Hollywood, there's always the draw of cash to make actors and producers kiss and make up.
I can't really imagine anyone else than Snipes as Blade though.