Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Side Effects

Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Written by Scott Z. Burns

Genre: Thriller

Plot Outline: Emily and Martin are a successful New York couple whose world unravels when a new drug prescribed by Emily's psychiatrist - intended to treat anxiety - has unexpected side effects.

Starring: Rooney Mara, Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta-Jones

Rated R for sexuality, nudity, violence and language

Runtime: 115 minutes

This is getting really good reviews. It's also Soderbergh's last film for the foreseeable future. I haven't seen any trailers for it and I've been told not to watch any promo material, so I'll stick it out until I see it this weekend. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Looks pretty good. It seems like most of the trailer/TV spots are well hidden as to the twists and turns the story takes. I'm also digging Soderbergh collaborating with screenwriter Burns once again. The Informant and Contagion were both really well written.

Doesn't Soderbergh still have that Michael Douglas Liberace movie for HBO?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah stylistically, the one trailer I saw for this reminded me of Contagion and I loved that movie. Really excited for this.

He does indeed have the Liberace movie but this is his last feature film for the foreseeable future. He did say he's excited about TV these days so maybe we'll see more work from him on the small screen...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Doesn't Soderbergh still have that Michael Douglas Liberace movie for HBO?
Oops, forgot about that one.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Looks quite good and I'm glad I know little about it. I should be seeing it tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Yeah stylistically, the one trailer I saw for this reminded me of Contagion and I loved that movie. Really excited for this.

He does indeed have the Liberace movie but this is his last feature film for the foreseeable future. He did say he's excited about TV these days so maybe we'll see more work from him on the small screen...
I thought the exact same thing. Contagion was an awesome movie.

The previews look pretty good. But I'm afraid its going to be one of those movies, that the previews give everything away. I am pretty curious what the "shocking" ending is.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 AM

If this really does end up being Soderbergh's final theatrically released film, then at least he can say he went out on a high note. I thought this was his best film since Traffic. I loved it that much. This may be a career best performance for Jude Law and Rooney Mara is even better here than she was in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

I love the rather complicated plot. It's like a puzzle that you have to piece together one piece at a time and you don't get to see the whole picture until it's finished. What appears at first glance to be about a study of depression turns into something else and then again it turns into something else even after that. So many cool twists and turns. This is the first great movie of 2013. I loved every minute of it. I still hope Soderbergh changes his mind about quitting movies, but like I said. If he doesn't, then at least he can say he left on a high note.

8/10
Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I was going to stay away from the theatre this weekend,but this film is receiving such good reviews i can resist seeing it.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 AM
The first truly great movie of 2013. An all-around clever and engrossing entertainment with brilliant lead performances Jude Law and Rooney Mara. Mara especially delivers an impressively nuanced performance - it was a tricky character to pull off, and she delivered in spades.

8/10
Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
If this really does end up being Soderbergh's final theatrically released film, then at least he can say he went out on a high note. I thought this was his best film since Traffic. I loved it that much. This may be a career best performance for Jude Law and Rooney Mara is even better here than she was in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

I love the rather complicated plot. It's like a puzzle that you have to piece together one piece at a time and you don't get to see the whole picture until it's finished. What appears at first glance to be about a study of depression turns into something else and then again it turns into something else even after that. So many cool twists and turns. This is the first great movie of 2013. I loved every minute of it. I still hope Soderbergh changes his mind about quitting movies, but like I said. If he doesn't, then at least he can say he left on a high note.

8/10
you loved every minute of it,but you give it only an 8 not a 10,how come
Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 AM
10's are a rare thing from me. I only give a 10 if I would consider it to be one of my all time favorites.

And I didn't give it a 9 because a 9 would equal four stars, and while I loved the movie, I can't quite give it 4 stars. But I do love it. And I definitely would continue to say that it's Soderbergh's best film since Traffic.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 02-09-2013 at 02:16 AM..
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 AM
I thought it was really bad. Filled with predictable plot twists, characters that suddenly become two-dimensional in the second half, and a laughable ending. I much preferred Contagion, but even that suffered from an abrupt ending.

5/10
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM
This was a very entertaining, atmospheric and eery thriller, with some great twists and turns. I'm glad I didn't watch any promo material.

Spoiler:
When Tatum got stabbed, I could tell that many audience members were shocked (I was too). The way Soderbergh shot that was incredibly effective and killing off an actor who generally plays a lead character is always interesting.

I do think there was a bit too much explicit storytelling near the end, when they had done a pretty solid job of giving backstory without overtly showing it. I guess it's just the nature of this kind of movie though.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
This was a very entertaining, atmospheric and eery thriller, with some great twists and turns. I'm glad I didn't watch any promo material.

Spoiler:
When Tatum got stabbed, I could tell that many audience members were shocked (I was too). The way Soderbergh shot that was incredibly effective and killing off an actor who generally plays a lead character is always interesting.

Spoiler:
Kind of reminded me of the stabbing scene in Dressed to Kill
Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Director Steven Soderbergh and writer Scott Z. Burns enter the world of Pharmaceuticals and Psychiatry
and craft a smart and entertaining thriller around it.Fun and sexy twists abound in this Hitchcockian like
film.Aside from some predictable turns its a well acted film with a likeable cast that includes :Jude Law ,Rooney Mara,
Channing Tatum,and Catherine Zeta-Jones (I had forgotten how sexy she can be).
If this is truly Soderbergh's last film,he has left movie lovers with quite an intriguing finale.

Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Soderbergh's really been pumping them out the last few years, holy shit.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Really lurid, enjoyable stuff. Law and Mara are terrific. Soderbergh's style is refined and sexy. Loved Newman's score. Not what I was expecting narrative-wise, and thus far more exciting. It kept me on my toes. Very Hitchcockian.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 03-03-2013 at 02:10 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
I thought it was really bad. Filled with predictable plot twists, characters that suddenly become two-dimensional in the second half, and a laughable ending. I much preferred Contagion, but even that suffered from an abrupt ending.

5/10
I couldn't disagree more. Granted, I thought maybe the revelation of the Catherine Zeta-Jones character (the 'laughable ending' to which I assume you're referring) would get over-the-top, but Soderbergh gave it just enough restraint.

This film was an excellent commentary on how lazy many people generally are in terms of seeking the absolute truth. Most are more than willing - without question - to accept the easiest and most convenient solution/explanation that can be offered up AT THAT MOMENT... and are unlikely to ever think about it again. It also serves as a nice reminder that doing the right thing (no matter how difficult it may be -- and most of the time it is) will never come back and bite you in the ass. Ever.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 AM
talk about disappointing...

went into it excited with the cast and Soderbergh but God this was plain bad.

Story never fully develops, tries so hard with the twist, nobody stood out, completely convoluted...just a bad film from every angle.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Granted, I thought maybe the revelation of the Catherine Zeta-Jones character (the 'laughable ending' to which I assume you're referring) would get over-the-top, but Soderbergh gave it just enough restraint.

This film was an excellent commentary on how lazy many people generally are in terms of seeking the absolute truth. Most are more than willing - without question - to accept the easiest and most convenient solution/explanation that can be offered up AT THAT MOMENT... and are unlikely to ever think about it again. It also serves as a nice reminder that doing the right thing (no matter how difficult it may be -- and most of the time it is) will never come back and bite you in the ass. Ever.
I suppose like others who share my sentiments have said, the film is not what you'd expect. I went in with different expectations but the film went from intriguing to utterly predictable. However, this wasn't a fault of the actors, but merely Soderbergh's inability to tell a story worth even watching. I couldn't find one character I really sympathized with, but perhaps that was the point? I respect your admiration of the film, but I thought it was just bad
Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Yeah, I absolutely loved this. I thought Jude Law was absolutely fantastic. He gave his best performance since Closer, he was so damn good. Rooney Mara was also fantastic and I enjoyed Channing Tatum and Ann Dowd in their roles too. As for the twists, the 180 around the 30 minute mark made me gasp, I wasn't expecting that. As for the twists after that, I pretty much knew where it was going and it borrowed a bit from other films, but it didn't damper my enjoyment of it. Very entertaining, very fun and pure joy on a filmgoing level.

8/10
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Liked this a great deal. I love twisty, hitchcockian thrillers and this delivered in spades. I heard to avoid trailers and I'm glad I did.

I do agree that the end reveals were spelled out a little too much and there was one major aspect of the plot that I thought was a bit implausible, but overall an excellent film.

8/10 or B+

Also: early contender for Best Poster of the year.

I hadn't seen this one before I was browsing online just now. So much better than the four big faces with a cross that is plastered everywhere. Better tagline too.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Didn't see a single trailer for this movie, just heard that the trailer was "weak" from some people I trust and figured that the film was not going to be that good. But then the RT freshness got me curious, and I finally went to see it.

For the first half an hour I was thinking that this was heading towards complete disaster. And then

Spoiler:
Emily gave that scene on the boat

And I started to think it was a great idea, this drama about depression and the severity of it, how it impacts your daily life. And by that point I detected the eeriness that seemed to cloak the whole atmosphere of the film. And then

Spoiler:
Emily kills Martin

And i was like, holy fuck. This is really good. And it kept jumping levels until the very end. Really great stuff and the first really great film of the year.

8/10
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 PM
God, Rooney Mara looks cute as a doll in that poster.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 AM
I like this movie the more I think about it. I should check it out again soon. Law and Mara's performances are really layered and engaging.