Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 AM
Best Buy - November 27th, 2012

Men In Black 3 (available November 30th)
Exclusive Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo steelbook $19.99

The Hangover
Exclusive Blu-Ray steelbook $9.99

Sherlock Holmes

The Matrix

The Shawshank Redemption

The Hangover Part II

Green Lantern

The Departed

Inception

Exclusive plush Mickey Mouse with the purchase of two select DVDs...
The Muppet Christmas Carol DVD $9.99
Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas DVD $9.99
Disney's A Christmas Carol DVD $9.99
Santa Buddies: The Legend Of Santa Paws $9.99
(additional titles in store)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Anastasia
The Lorax (1972 version)
FernGully: The Last Rainforest
The Goonies
The Land Before Time Anniversary Edition
The NeverEnding Story
The Sandlot
Where The Wild Things Are

- - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDS

The Watch
The Expendables 2

- - - - - - - - - - -

Holiday DVDs

Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas Special $4.99
Planes, Trains and Automobiles $7.99
A Christmas Story $9.99
Elf $9.99
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas Deluxe Edition $9.99
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation $9.99
The Original Christmas Classics Gift Set $19.99
Peanuts Holiday Collection (It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown / A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving / A Charlie Brown Christmas) $19.99

Nothing here for me this week. I blame Black Friday. Both "Men In Black 3" and "ParaNorman" (DVDs) share the same price, $16.99.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 AM
Wal-Mart - November 30th, 2012

Wal-Mart has two exclusives for "Men In Black 3"; a bonus disc (DVD) for the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo and the first film side packed with the third (DVDs).

The bonus disc has a run time of 20:28 minutes and came in a CD envelope outside the case, but under their exclusive slipcover.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Target - December 4th, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises
Exclusive lenticular cover - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digitical Copy combo Digibook $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVDs

Men In Black 3
Sparkle

- - - - - - - - - -

The Simpsons: The Fifteenth Season $22.99
Eastbound & Down: The Complete Third Season $19.99

Mad Men: Season 5 $32.99
American Horror Story: Season 1 $27.99
New Girl: Season 1 $22.99
Spartacus: Vengeance - Season 2 $22.99
The Good Wife: Season 3 $32.99
NCIS: Season 9 $32.99
(additional titles on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Florida-Georgia Lane - Here's To The Good Times" with 2 exclusive bonus songs

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 CD

"Ke$ha - Warrior" deluxe editon with exclusive t-shirt

Nothing for me here this week. Next week, that'll be a different story.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Best Buy - December 4th, 2012

Finding Nemo
Exclusive plush Nemo or Squirt for $4.99 each with the purchase of "Finding Nemo" on Blu-Ray ($22.99) or Nintendo DS/3DS

The Dark Knight Rises
Exclusive steelbook for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo with "The Dark Knight Reborn" documentary $24.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy: Limited Edition Giftset
Exclusive Blu-Ray set with "The Dark Knight Reborn" documentary $34.99

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Gavin DeGraw: Sweeter Live
Exclusive Blu-Ray store release $16.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$16.99 DVD

Men In Black 3

- - - - - - - - - -

The Simpsons: The Fifteenth Season $29.99
Eastbound & Down: The Complete Third Season $14.99
The Mentalist: Seasons 1 - 3 $16.99 (each)
One Tree Hill: Seasons 1 - 9 $16.99 (each)
Two And A Half Men: Seasons 4 - 8 $16.99 (each)
The Closer: Seasons 1 or 6 $16.99 (each)
The Vampire Diaries: Season1 $16.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 CD

"Paloma Faith - Fall To Grace" exclusive deluxe edition with 3 bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 CD

"Chevelle - Stray Arrows: A Collection Of Favorites" exclusive deluxe edition with 4 bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Wiz Khalifa - O.N.I.F.C" exclusive deluxe edition with 3 bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 CD

"Hinder - Welcome To The Freakshow" exclusive deluxe edition with 5 bonus tracks

No listing for "The Adventures Of Mark Twain" special edition DVD. Their website reads $12.99 though. But will the stores carry it?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Wal-Mart - December 4th, 1012

The Dark Knight Rises
Exclusive BatCowl with Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo.

- - -

The Dark Knight Rises
Exclusive two disc DVD set.

Last edited by JohnIan; 12-06-2012 at 02:46 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Past Tense

This week we travel with an occult gumshoe, search for the Spear Of Destiny and try to prevent the end of the world and other wicked things in "Constantine"...

The motion picture opened on February 18th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $100,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 75 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts, nearly 231 million total. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "Pooh's Heffalump Movie", "The Aviator", "Million Dollar Baby" and "Hitch".

The first pressing of the "2 - Disc Deluxe Edition" came with a fifty page graphic novel anthology "John Constantine: Hellblazer". It collects the comics: "The Beginning Of The End: Dangerous Habits - Part One", "The Gangster, The Whore And The Magician" and "The First Time" along with character bios; from Vertigo DC Comics for $30.99 (see further down for street).

The DVD case and graphic novel came in an oversized cardboard slipcase (mirrored the wraparound) to hold both. It was also released without the comic for $29.99. Later pressings removed both the slipcase and comic. The film was also released as a single disc.

This set originally did not come with any inserts.

- - -

Time to take a ride on the nightmare merrygoaround. Best Buy had an exclusive, a preview disc. It streeted on December 7th, 2004. The bonus DVD has a run time of 11:47 minutes, a lone featurette, "Constantine: Sneak Peek" (full screen); no menu screen - it just plays. I have since moved the two discs set into a three disc case and have the bonus disc's sleeve inside the replacement case.

The preview disc was free... if you purchased "The Ultimate Matrix Collection", regular set or Limited Edition; $52.99/$89.99. I found it cheaper at Wal-Mart were I bought the regular. I was fortunate to have gotten that bonus disc, I don't remember, but I bought a movie on sale from Best Buy and ask if I could keep the preview - the cashier said yes. The bonus was not attached to the box sets, they were in a large cardboard display; fifty copies per store.

Wal-Mart sold the single disc edition, side packed with the paperback novelization, this streeted on July 19th, 2005. Sorry, I do not know the price. I did not buy this set. The book is 336 pages, published by Pocket Star Books.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

I have to talk about this, since it's part of the main subject, "Ultimate Matrix Collection".

The Limited Edition came with a mini-Neo bust as seen above and an eighty-four page collector's book (metallic green 3D covers). It includes a reprint; the introduction written by the Wachowski Brothers. The book outlines the content of the ten disc set (same ten discs as in the regular box set) and showcases various images; production pixs, conceptual art and trivia.

Why not?

There was another exclusive, but for "Ultimate Matrix Collection", not at any store, but through an infomercial. If you bought it from the TV offer (sixty bucks plus shipping), you would get three scripts from each movie - I remember them looking nicely printed.

What I would've liked to have seen is a lenticular cover for the 'Ultimate', moving Matrix code, that would've been cool.

- - -

Still talking about "Ultimate Matrix Collection". Something you need to know if you're an über fan, compleatist. You still need the original "The Matrix" DVD (streeted September 21st, 1999 for $24.98, a cardboard snapper case). Why?

Missing from Ultimate are two commentaries. The first is a commentary by special effects supervisor John Gaeta, editor Zach Staenberg and actress Carrie Anne-Moss. The second is a commentary by composer Don Davis that includes an isolated music score. He talks when there is nothing playing. Also missing is "Making The Matrix" featurette (twenty-five minutes), but it's purely redundant, eclipsed by the massive bonus features in the box set. Think of it like the 1979 documentary "Giger's Alien", which was not included in either box sets, "Alien: Quadrilogy" DVD (2003) or "Alien: Anthology" Blu-Ray (2010), though it was released on laser disc in Japan in the 1990s; footage from that doc does appear in the various making-of featurettes. It's redundant.

Okay. There is one other thing is missing. This is from "The Matrix: Reloaded" DVD (two disc set), the 2003 MTV Movie Awards parody (uncensored). Why is that absent? Don't know, it was cute, kinda funny.

Sure, "The Matrix" DVD was released in two different snapper cases. One was the standard black frame, the other, much harder to find was a transparent frame. I've only ran into that twice in my DVD purchases (2003 - present).

Just so you know, Wachowskis did not contribute a commentary on any of their "Matrix" films.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I'm kinda bummed that a sequel didn't happen. I rather enjoyed the film. Granted, I've read complaints where people were unhappy with the way the feature took liberties on the source material. Does the changes make an entertaining experience? Yes, yes it did. Hell, there were some who were pissed by the changes/omitting a character from the "Lord Of The Rings" novels. Not going to name him, but that hobbit was written in by the author for his child, he served absolutely nothing to the story. And he would've became the next Jar-Jar Binks. It was wise to axe him.

The underground bar owned by Midnite (Djimon Hounsou) reminds me a lot like the club, "Caritas" owned by Lorne (Andy Hallett) from the TV series "Angel", the spin-off from "Buffy The Vampire Slayer". Yes, I'm sure the television club had its inspiration from the "Constantine" comics.

I didn't see this in the theaters, I saw it on home video. I remember seeing Tilda Swinton as Gabriel trying to remember where I first saw her. It bugged the hell out of me. Later I realized the point, the 1991 movie, "If Looks Could Kill". A Richard Grieco vehicle that bombed at the box office (it made less than 8 million), which is too bad, it was a nice popcorn flick (I have the CD soundtrack). Sure - a flunking high school student, Michael Corben (Grieco), is given a second change to graduate by accompanying a French language class to France. Things go wrong when he's mistaken for an American spy. It's all fun and games (gadgets and girls) until people start getting killed. It also starred Gabrielle Anwar. There is a DVD-R release, an official one from the Warner Archive Collection. It's widescreen. Sorry, nope, it's not her character, a British government contraption tech. In fact, Swinton isn't even in that movie. *shrugs*

Anyhow, there is a stinger at the end credits for "Constantine"; what became of Chas (Shia LaBeouf) after the events. It's short and fits quite well.

There you go. The next PT could be Past Tense if that Mayan calendar is correct. I may OR may not see you here on December 20th.

This is something I should've given more thought on before that write up in March of this year, "The Day After Tomorrow" entry. It would've been perfect for this month. *shrugs*

- - - - - - - - - -

November 8th, 2014 Update...

Did some hard drive cleaning, came across a bit of relevancy; easter eggs.

Co-writer Frank Cappello gives his commentary on an animatic he created.

Disc 2 -> Special Features -> highlight "The Production Of Hell" press left; highlight symbol on the goat skull - ENTER.

- - -

Stunt coordinator R.A. Rondell talks about creating the fight scene in the hydro therapy room.

Disc 2 -> Special Features -> The Production Of Hell -> highlight "Main Menu" press left; highlight crucifix - ENTER.

- - -

Actor Gavin Rossdale discusses his make-up transformation with timelapse and behind-the-scenes footage.

Disc 2 -> Special Features -> Imagining The Underworld -> highlight "Hellscape" press right; highlight symbol on the corpse's head - ENTER.

Last edited by JohnIan; 11-08-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 AM
Target - December 11th, 2012

Ted
Exclusive packaging with talking bottle opener and bonus disc - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy $22.99

Ice Age: Continental Drift
Exclusive bonus disc - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy $22.99

The Bourne Legacy
Excluisve steelbook case for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy $22.99

Girls: The Complete First Season
Exclusive bonus disc(?) - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.00 DVDs

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears A Who!
Where The Wild Things Are
Spider-Man
The Time Traveler's Wife
Office Space: Special Edition
The Dark Knight
(additional sale titles in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

$6.00 DVD

The Lucky One

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.00 DVDs

Ice Age
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part 2
Pulp Fiction
The Notebook
Mamma Mia!: The Movie
It's Complicated

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.00 DVDs

Rock Of Ages
Dark Shadows
Magic Mike
Mirror Mirror

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

Mr. Popper's Penguins
Bridesmaids Unrated
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon
The Help
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
The Pirates! Band Of Misfits

- - - - - - - - - -

Home Alone $4.99
The Polar Express $6.99
It's a SpongeBob Christmas! $6.99
Santa Buddies: The Legend Of Santa Paws $7.99
The Search For Santa Paws $7.99
It's A Wonderful Life $8.99
Peanuts Holiday Collection (It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown/A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving/A Charlie Brown Christmas) $12.99
The Original Christmas Classics Gift Set $14.99
(additional Holiday titles on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVD

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.00 DVD

The Bourne Ultimatum

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Prometheus $14.99
Savages Unrated $14.99
The Expendables 2 $14.99
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $14.99
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $14.99
Battleship $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVD

The Hunger Games

- - - - - - - - - -

One Direction: The Live Tour $13.99
Adele: Live At The Royal Albert Hall $17.99
(additional music DVDs on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

Girls: The Complete First Season $17.99
The Wire: The Complete Series $69.99
The Andy Griffith Show: The Complete Series $69.99
Band Of Brothers/The Pacific Special Edition Gift Set $69.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series $124.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 CD

"Nashville - The Music Of Nashville" deluxe edition with four bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox" deluxe edition with five bonus tracks

A good selection of titles this week, very nice. I'm gonna find out if these bonus discs for "Ted" and the new "Ice Age" are DVDs. I hope they are. "Ted" is going for $16.99 on DVD, same price for "Ice Age: Continental Drift".
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Best Buy - December 11th, 2012

Ted
Exclusive talking, eight inch Ted bear for $4.99 with purchase of Blu-Ray or DVD

Exclusive pack with "Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas 3D Movie" - 3D Blu-Ray/Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy $29.99

The Bourne Legacy
Exclusive bonus disc - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy $19.99

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
Exclusive steelbook case with theater voucher to see "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" $9.99

The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
Exclusive steelbook case with theater voucher to see "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" $9.99

The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Prometheus
The Hunger Games
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
The Cabin In The Woods
Safe
Lawless

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World
White Christmas: Anniversary Edition

- - - - - - - - - -

Girls: The Complete First Season $19.99
Futurama: Volume 7 $14.99
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 1 & 2, 4, 5, & 6 $15.99 (each)
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 7 $19.99
American Horror Story: Season 1 $27.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 $15.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 $19.99
Family Guy: Vol. 10 $17.99
Burn Notice: Season 5 $22.99
The Glades: Season 2 $13.99
New Girl: Season 1 $17.99
White Collar: Season 3 $15.99
Glee: Seasons 1 or 2 $17.99 (each)
Glee: Season 3 $22.99
Louie: Season 2 $11.99
Bones: Season 5 $17.99
Bones: Season 6 $22.99
The Tudors: The Complete Series $64.99
M*A*S*H: The Complete Series $79.99
The Wire: The Complete Series $89.99
The West Wing: The Complete Series $89.99
Entourage: The Complete Series $109.99
Family Guy: Star Wars Trilogy $17.99
Modern Family: Season 3 $22.99
Sons Of Anarchy: Season 4 $27.99
Twenty-Four: The Complete Series $134.99
Chuck: The Complete Series $119.99
Gilmore Girls: The Complete Series $84.99
Rescue Me: The Complete Series $39.99
Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey - Seasons 1 & 2 $29.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 CD

"The Game - Jesus Piece" Deluxe Editon with two bonus tracks

Okay. The Ted bear that Best Buy is offering is crap. It doesn't look like the title character; like a bad Mexican knockoff (I can say that, I'm Hispanic). You've been warned. I would like to pick up that bonus disc for "The Bourne Legacy", but the store has a history of having bonus discs being Blu-Rays (same, should "Ted" have a bonus disc). So, I'll pass. Oh yeah, "Ted" and the new "Ice Age" (DVDs) are both priced the same, $16.99.

- - -

Update - December 15th
The bonus disc for "The Bourne Legacy" is a DVD.

Last edited by JohnIan; 12-15-2012 at 05:43 AM..
Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Wal-Mart - December 21st, 2012

The store has an exclusive DVD set for "Resident Evil: Retribution"; it comes attached with the first film (the second special edition version). The thing is, that cover for "Retribution" isn't the standard one. The website doesn't mention it, could be an exclusive as well.

- - -

They also have an exclusive for the remake of "Total Recall". A bonus disc attached to the Blu-Ray/DVD combo (sorry, don't know what format this bonus disc is). But as you can see from the image, it looks like a steelbook case. Like with "Retribution", the website doesn't mention it. This will be available on December 18th.

As with all things Wal-Mart, prices varies from store to store...

With that in mind; "Resident Evil: Retribution" $19.96 and "Total Recall" $24.96.

- - -

Correcton December 18th, 2012:

There is NO bonus disc for "Total Recall", it's just a steelbook case.

Last edited by JohnIan; 12-18-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Best Buy - December 18th, 2012

Resident Evil: Retribution (available December 21st)
Exclusive steelbook case for Blu-Ray/Digital Copy combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$3.99 DVDs

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
All-Star Superman
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
Red Riding Hood
The Final Destination
Green Lantern: First Flight
Batman Begins

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas Special
Christmas With The Cranks
The Shawshank Redemption
Horton Hears A Who!
Space Jam
The Goonies
The Three Stooges: 75th Anniversary
Die Another Day
Tomorrow Never Dies
Live And Let Die
Anastasia (animated)

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

The Campaign
The Expendables 2
Magic Mike
Arthur Christmas
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Men In Black 3
Brave
The Amazing Spider-Man
Santa Paws 2: The Santa Pups
It's A Wonderful Life: 2 - Disc Collector's Set

- - - - - - - - - -

Shameless: The Complete Second Season $24.99
Californication: The Fifth Season $24.99
Army Wives: Season 6 Part 2 $19.99
Community: Season 3 $19.99
Downtown Abbey: Seasons 1 & 2 (Masterpiece Classic) $29.99
Hatfield & McCoys $19.99
Gilligan's Island: The Complete Series $29.99
The Three Stooges: The Ultimate Collection $39.99
Baseball: A Film By Ken Burns $39.99
Tudors: The Complete Series $64.99
M*A*S*H: Martinis & Medicine Collection $79.99
The Andy Griffith Show: The Complete Series $79.99
I Love Lucy: The Complete Series $99.99
Twenty-Four: The Complete Series $134.99

(50% off HBO TV shows and mini-series [free "True Blood" sampler with the purchase of any HBO show]. Sale excludes all versions of "Girls" and "Game Of "Thrones" as well as gift sets. Prices below reflect discount...)
True Blood: Seasons 1 or 2 $22.99 (each)
True Blood: Seasons 3 or 4 $24.99 (each)
Eastbound & Down: Seasons 1 - 3 $11.99 (each)
Deadwood: Seasons 1 - 3 $14.99 (each)
Entourage: Season 1 or 8 $14.99 (each)
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Seasons 1 - 8 $14.99 (each)
The Wire: Seasons 1 - 5 $14.99 (each)
John Adams $14.99
Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 $24.99
Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 $29.99
The Pacific $26.99
Band Of Brothers $26.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CDs

"T.I. Trouble Man - Heavy Is The Head" deluxe edition with 3 exclusive bonus tracks
"Chief Keef - Finally Rich" deluxe edition with 2 exclusive bonus tracks

A pretty good selection of titles for the end of the world, but I don't see anything I want. Just so you know, "Resident Evil: Retribution" will be selling on DVD for $16.99 as will the remake of "Total Recal".
Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Target - December 18th, 2012

Total Recall
Exclusive bonus disc with Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy $22.99

Blake Shelton: Invitation Only
Exclusive store release $9.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.75 DVDs

Planet 51
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
Fried Green Tomatoes
Wedding Crashers
National Lampoon's Vacation
The Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison Collection
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
Men In Black
The Holiday
The Family Stone
Eat Pray Love
The NeverEnding Story

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.50 DVDs

4 Film Favorites: Nicholas Sparks Film Collection (Nights In Rodanthe/The Notebook/Message In A Bottle/A Walk To Remember)
4 Film Favorites: Dirty Harry Collection (Dirty Harry/Magnum Force/The Enforcer/Sudden Impact)
Cowboy Collection (The Magnificent Seven/The Good, The Bad And The Ugly/Butch Cassidy And the Sundance Kid)
4 Film Favorites: Girls' Night Collection (A Cinderella Story/What A Girl Wants/The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants/Chasing Liberty)
4 Film Favorites: Chris Tucker Collection (Rush Hour/Rush Hour 2/Rush Hour 3/Money Talks)
Rocky: Four Movies (Rocky/Rocky II/Rocky III/Rocky IV)

- - - - - - - - - -

$8.00 DVDs

Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs
Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Winter's Bone
Contagion
Burlesque
The Expendables
Total Recall/Terminator 2: Judgment Day Double Feature
Yogi Bear

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Despicable Me

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 DVDs

The Odd Life Of Timothy Green
Secret Of The Wings

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

The Watch
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Snow White & The Huntsman
Beasts of the Southern Wild

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVDs

Step Up Revolution
Marvel's The Avengers
Lawless

- - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 DVD

Ted

- - - - - - - - - -

Shameless: The Complete Second Season $26.99

Futurama: Volume 7 $14.99
Call The Midwife: Season 1 $19.99
Eastbound & Down: Season 3 $21.99
The Big Bang Theory: Season 5 $22.99
Psych: Season 6 $27.99
The Simpsons: Season 15 $27.99
The Vampire Diaries: Season 3 $28.99

Scorsese Collection (The Departed/Goodfellas/Mean Streets/The Aviator) $11.99
John Wayne: America's Legendary Hero 22-Movie (10 disc set) $14.99
(additional gift sets in store)

I might pick up that bonus disc for "Total Recall", might.

- - -

Correcton December 18th, 2012:

The bonus disc for "Total Recall" is indeed a DVD.

Last edited by JohnIan; 12-18-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Past Tense

At the dawn of what could be (allegedly) the end of the world - the final PT of 2012 brings us to near extinction with an alien species who want to trash our lights in "War Of The Worlds"...

The motion picture opened on June 29th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $132,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 234 million during its U.S. theatrical run; worldwide the it made over $591 million. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it remained at number one (a first in my PT writings).

The feature opened against "George A. Romero's Land Of The Dead", "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", "Batman Begins", "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith" and "Herbie: Fully Loaded".

This film was released in both widescreen and full screen for the single disc edition (which is what I'm going to be talking about) and a two disc widescreen special edition. The single came with an insert; two perforated coupons - save three dollars off "Madagascar" and "The Island" on DVD. Both offers were valid from November 22nd, 2005 to January 31st, 2006. It also came with a cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound (FS and WS versions).

- - -

The film streeted on home video, November 22nd, 2005. There were two exclusives. Lets address this alphabetically...

Best Buy sold it with an exclusive book, "War Of The Worlds: The Shooting Script". Well, not so exclusive, it was available at other retailers. The difference is size, the Best Buy offer was near DVD proportions, while the regular edition is what you would expect for a softcover book. The 200 page tome included the screenplay, twenty-four pages with (color) photos and various Q&A from co-screenwriter, David Koepp; published by Newmarket Press.

The book was available to Reward Zone members who bought the single disc edition for $14.99, there were an average of sixty-four copies per store. I can not recall if the book was packed with the DVD or on a cardboard shelf, it's been seven years.

- - -

Wal-Mart had the more substantial item, an exclusive bonus disc. It came in its own case, side packed with the movie - the full screen edition. This set had a $14.44 price tag. The bonus DVD has a run time of 20:46 minutes (both items in full screen).

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I did not buy this when it originally came out. I wouldn't own this movie (2 - Disc Limited Edition) until June of 2010. When I searched and bought from Ebay the SE and the Wal-Mart bonus.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise. There are only two Cruise titles in my DVD library, this flick and "The Last Samurai" (2003). I am bothered by him. It took me that long to seek it out.

It was no secret that there was some conflict on set between him and director Steven Spielberg. Cruise set up a Scientology tent on site and wanted everyone to spend some time inside. This is a movie they're making, not a recruitment vehicle. I also know that Spielberg was disappointed by Cruise - his actions tainted the box office potential. Granted "War Of The Worlds" made a lot of money (as seen above), but it could've been more.

A particular memory that continues to haunt Cruise to this day. This was the movie that he went on "Oprah Winfrey Show" to promote - the infamous lunatic couch jumping moment; May 23rd, 2005. Yeah. This was also the time in which Cruise was parading his then fiancée Katie Holmes. The media was covering him and his actions instead of the film. This was repeated at each red carpet premiere around the world. It was all about TomKat. Because of these things, this became the final Spielberg production that cast Cruise.

- - -

As I wrote, it took me this long to finally get the movie. It's a decent flick. Lots of WTF moments which made sense (the burning racing train comes to mind), I'm grateful, some planning went into the story. I rewatched it before writing this up. I still enjoy it.

I don't understand the hate for Dakota Fanning's character, Rachel Ferrier. Her actions were not annoying. She's a little kid reacting to a massacre, death all around her. What I am bothered by is her brother Robbie (Justin Chatwin). I just wanted him to die. I HATED him!

Do I need to call Lonesome Cowboy Bill to explain???

The little punk should not have survived. Yes, spoiler. It's a disservice to better people who should've made it, like the lady friend with daughter who they met at the ferry. C'mon, Robbie served no purpose other than being an asshole. If that was the goal, then good job bro.

Yes, I get it - he was angry because his dad (Cruise) didn't want kids and gave them to his mom. Sure, but right now, this moment - that's the man who's trying to keep you and your little sister alive, show some respect! It would've been a far better experience if Robbie has been written out. He drags the film. Made me want to punch him. I was glad when he took off with the army. Good. Die bastard. Die. No, he comes back at the end.

What the hell did he expect? Run with the marching army and they'll give him a gun, some ammo and a uniform? It is retard logic gearing in his noggin'? Man, this is making me mad all over again.

I did like the updated death ray from the (non-Martian) alien War Machines. The effect was scary, zap - you're dusted. The sound effects from them carry weight. You do not want to be around them, shock and awe indeed. I do agree that the ending is pretty weak. Yes, it's true to the source novel, but it felt wrong. That's it? It needed some kind of harrumph, what we got was a limp noodle.

A cool ending would've been if Ray Ferrier (Cruise) becomes the Tim Robbins' character, Harlan - a paranoid, broken man. He screws up and looses both kids, he's gone mental. The aliens still die as before. It's only at the finale does Ray realizes how much his children meant to him, but it's now far too late. That would have such a power to it. Ray is kind of a man-child, his apartment and car. Their deaths would've hit hard and made a great close - appreciate what you have, it won't last, it never does. But that would've been such a downer and doesn't equal a huge box office. Which is why I love Frank Darabont's "The Mist" (2007), that took balls.

I like this quote from Harry Knowles, proprietor of Ain't It Cool News:
Quote:
Ray’s a prick, an arrogant overgrown child, he’s that guy that was the badass at High School sports - but not good enough to get a scholarship to go anywhere. I think he knocked up the High School Cheerleader (Miranda Otto) and she stuck with him... through his steel grip on his own myopic obsession with his lot in life. How fucked over he was by the weight of her and those kids. He probably blames them for not going to college, instead of his own shit grades. He doesn’t want the family car, he wants his Mustang, cuz it’s cool. His house is a single "boys with toys" residence... Engine taken apart in his kitchen, nothing in the fridge, house a total mess. He resents his kids, but I think he loves Miranda’s Mary... and feels shame for not being able to be the man she’s currently married to. A successful "well-off" emotionally grounded man that provides everything he couldn’t begin to. And it pisses him off. He feels his ex-wife judges him, his kids judge him.
Something I noticed. Manny, the mechanic was played by Lenny Venito. Not the only time he's dealt with extraterrestrials (Venito had bit parts the first two "Men In Black" films). He's currently stars on ABC's "The Neighbors". He plays the dad of a family (Weavers) who moves into a cul-de-sac inhabited by a colony of aliens. It's an decent show, pure fluff.

Also when Ray emerges from the basement of his ex's home, he see the crashed jetliner scattered on the lawn. The first thing that popped in my head: if Denzel was drunk and flying that plane, it wouldn't have crashed. *nods*

I did like the cameo at the end. In case you missed it, the grandparents in Boston were played by Ann Robinson and Gene Barry, the stars of the original, 1953 film. Nice touch.

- - -

Problems...

1. Robbie.

2. During the 1st attack a man is seen recording first contact with his camcorder. How? An electromagnetic pulse occurred that knocking off all electronics. There is a brief moment of a man using a 35mm camera taking snaps - that works. True the camcorder scene is cool looking, but is out of place, rules-wise. Seeing some people dying would've been a nice; dead from broken pacemakers.

3. When Ray and Rachel are in the Tripod harvest basket - falling from the grenade blast; the baskets are large meshed frames, cages. The basket their on falls onto an old, leafless tree. The branches would've impaled numerous survivors, that didn't happen. Everyone just walked away unharmed. How did that happen? There should've been fatalities.

4. Robbie. Yes, twice. He made the movie twice as bad as it could've been.

5. Why is Manny so calm? Didn't he hear the nearby destruction a few blocks way? He should've at least asked Ray, 'what was all that noise?' Nope.

6. I wish the War Machines had the sound effect of the ray gun as heard from the original film - it's iconic. Sci-Fans from around the world know that noise and what it means.

The movie has various flaws, but none of them so great that they ruin the feature. Robbie, man I'm looking at you, you almost killed it.

- - -

I want to address a problem some had with the movie. We were told the War Machines were buried here years ago. The occupants rode or more accurately were transported to their vehicles by the lightening. The big question was - wouldn't we have known about the buried machines; digging the ground up for subways, sewers, plumbing and building construction? My thoughts on it is that these machines were put in place, out of phase. A state of being, just outside our existence, there and not there at the same time. A stable of Sci-Fi from such things as "Star Trek" to "H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond". When the occupants boarded their crafts it became in sync with the universe and pushed the ground around them away, parting the earth. I thought that was clever.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Well, kinda.

Released on DVD on April 20th, 1999 was the first pressing of "War Of The Worlds", the original film, obviously. It sold for $29.95, bare bones, minus the trailer.

As a cross promotion, Paramount Home Entertainment re-released the film as special edition on November 14th, 2005 for $19.99. I bought this on street, Wal-Mart I think.

Why am I bringing this up?

I really don't care for the new cover. It's okay, I guess, it gets the job done. The cover from the above release looks nicer and the color scheme matches the 2005 advertising.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

You're looking at early production artwork, the abandoned design for the Martians, the 1953 invasion. Freaky huh? Test footge from the ending was made, showcasing this critter; stop-motion animated by none other than Ray Harryhausen. It dying from our germs, taking its last gasp.

By the way, the new aliens from 2005; their faces look like monkeys. Whatever.

There you have it. If the world doesn't end tomorrow, I'll see you back here on January 3rd, 2013 - da future!

Last edited by JohnIan; 05-28-2015 at 11:03 PM..
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Best Buy - December 23rd, 2012

Prices below are from 12/23 to 12/29:

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days $14.99
Savages: Unrated $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs (price vaild 12/23 - 12/24 only)

The Dark Knight Rises
Katy Perry: Part Of Me
Arthur Christmas
Titanic

- - - - - - - - - -

How I Met Your Mother: Season 1 - 5 $13.99 (each)
White Collar: Season 1 or 2 $13.99 (each)
Bones: Seasons 1 - 4 $16.99 (each)
Person Of Interest: Season 1 $16.99
In Plain Sight: Season 3 $12.99
Burn Notice: Seasons 1 or 2 $13.99 (each)
Burn Notice: Seasons 3 or 4 $15.99 (each)
30 Rock: Season 6 $15.99
The Vampire Diaries: Season 3 $16.99
The Closer: Seasons 1 - 6 $16.99 (each)
Community: Seasons 1 or 2 $13.99 (each)
Community: Season 3 $19.99
Dexter: Season 6 $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

(prices vaild from December 23rd - 24th)

Six Feet Under: Seasons 1 - 4 $11.99 (each)
Big Love: Seasons 4 or 5 $24.99 (each)
Sex And The City: Season 1, 4, 5, 6 P1 or 6 P2 $9.99 (each)
True Blood: Seasons 1 or 2 $22.99 (each)
True Blood: Seasons 3 or 4 $24.99 (each)
Entourage: The Complete Series $109.99
The Wire: The Complete Series $89.99
Chuck: The Complete Series $119.99
The West Wing: The Complete Series $89.99

I've done with my shopping for 2012. So, I'll stay home this week.

Oh yeah, "Resident Evil: Retribution" is $16.99 and "Premium Rush" is $17.99; DVDs.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Target - December 20th, 2012

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs (price vaild 12/20 - 12/24 only)

The Dark Knight Rises
Men In Black 3 $10.00
ParaNorman $10.00

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.00 DVDs (price vaild 12/26 - 12/29 only)

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears A Who!
The Dark Knight

- - - - - - - - - -

$8.00 DVDs (price vaild 12/26 - 12/29 only)

The King's Speech
Friends With Benefits
Tombstone
The Pirates! Band Of Misfits
Mirror Mirror
Magic Mike
Rock Of Ages

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.00 DVDs (price vaild 12/26 - 12/29 only)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Big Miracle
Footloose (remake)
New Year's Eve
Contraband
The Grey

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVDs (price vaild 12/26 - 12/29 only)

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Hunger Games

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVDs (price vaild 12/26 - 12/29 only)

Breaking Bad: Season 4
Family Guy: Volume 10
How I Met Your Mother: Season 7
New Girl: Season 1

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs (price vaild 12/26 - 12/29 only)

Bones: Season 3
Pretty Little Liars: Season 2
Scandal: Season 1
Parks And Recreation: Season 4
Happy Endings: Season 2
House, M.D.: Season 8

- - - - - - - - - -

$16.99 DVDs (price vaild 12/26 - 12/29 only)

Once Upon a Time: Season 1
Grey's Anatomy: Season 8
Fringe: Season 4
Modern Family: Season 3
The Mentalist: Season 4
Grimm: Season 1

- - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 DVDs (price vaild 12/26 - 12/29 only)

Girls: Season 1
Sons Of Anarchy: Season 4
True Blood: Season 4
Dexter: Season 6
Glee: Season 3

There you go. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Best Buy - December 30th, 2012

Amazing Ocean 3D (available 12/31)
Blu-Ray 2D/3D combo - store exclusive $24.99

Fascination Coral Reef 3D (available 12/31)

Fascination Coral Reef 3D: Mysterious Worlds Underwater (available 12/31)

Cosmopolis (available 12/31)
Blu-Ray/DVD combo - store exclusive $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$3.99 DVDs

Traffic
Smokin' Aces 2: Assassins' Ball Unrated
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story Unrated

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Harrison Ford Collection: 4 Film Favorite (The Mosquito Coast/Presumed Innocent/The Fugitive/Firewall)
Sandra Bullock Romance Collection: 4 Film Favorite (In Love And War/Practical Magic/Two Weeks Notice/The Lake House)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 4 Film Favorites
George Clooney Collection: 4 Film Favorites (Three Kings/The Perfect Storm/Ocean's Eleven/Michael Clayton)
Ocean's Collection: 4 Film Favorites (Ocean's Eleven/Ocean's Eleven/Ocean's Twelve/Ocean's Thirteen)
Matrix Collection: 4 Film Favorites
International Spies: 4 Film Favorites (Spies Like Us/Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery/Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me/Austin Powers In Goldmember)
Dirty Harry Collection: 4 Film Favorites (Dirty Harry/Magnum Force/The Enforcer/Sudden Impact)
Suspense Collection: 4 Film Favorites (Seven/Heat/The Devil's Advocate/Insomnia)

- - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVDs

What's Your Number
Drive
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Descendants
This Means War
The King's Speech
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Moneyball

- - - - - - - - - -

Justified: The Complete Third Season $29.99 (available 12/31)
Justified: Season 1 $14.99
Justified: Season 2 $19.99
White Collar: Season 2 $13.99
Californication: Season 4 $14.99
Covert Affairs: Season 2 $15.99
House, M.D.: Season 8 $15.99
The Walking Dead: Season 1 $13.99
Blue Bloods: Season 2 $19.99
The Vampire Diaries: Season 3 $16.99
Archer: Season 1 $11.99
Archer: Season 2 $13.99
Tosh.0: Vol. 2 $14.99
The League: Season 1 $9.99
Saturday Nigh Live: Season 1 $14.99
Wilfred: Season 1 $9.99
Louie: Season 2 $11.99
CSI: Miami - Season 9 $22.99
Leverage: Season 4 $9.99
Parenthood: Season 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
The Middle: Season 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
CSI: Season 10 $19.99
CSI: NY - Season 7 $22.99

I'm glad there's no exclusive for "Looper", I'm saving my money for next year. I'll pick it up later, but should you want it now, it's $16.99 (available 12/31).
Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Target - December 30th, 2012

Dora The Explorer: Dora Rocks! (available 12/31)
Store exclusive release $12.99

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - Extended Edition
Exclusve Blu-Ray $9.00

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.00 DVDs

The Expendables 2
Bridesmaids: Unrated
Think Like A Man
21 Jump Street
The Vow
The Lucky One

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Dark Shadows
The Campaign

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Step Up Revolution
Snow White & The Huntsman Extended Edition
Savages Unrated
Resident Evil: Retribution
Premium Rush
Hope Springs
Moonrise Kingdom
The Five-Year Engagement: Unrated
Safe
Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection

- - - - - - - - - - -

Justified: The Complete Third Season $29.99 (available 12/31)
Supernatural: Season 7 $19.99
The Vampire Diaries: Season 3 $19.99
Shameless: Season 2 $22.99
Californication: Season 5 $22.99
2 Broke Girls: Season 1 $24.99
The Walking Dead: Season 2 $26.99
Criminal Minds: Season 7 $29.99
The Good Wife: Season 3 $29.99
Homeland: Season 1 $32.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Norah Jones - Covers" exclusive store release (available 12/31)

The same price for "Looper" as Best Buy, $16.99 (available 12/31). A nice price for "Dark Shadows", but I can't now. And I have my eyes on season three of "Archer" coming very soon as is "Dredd". *nods*
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 AM
Past Tense

The world didn't end? Sway. The first PT of 2013 gets us apes dirt level - fighting interstellar bugs in "Starship Troopers 3"...

"Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" was released on home video on August 5th, 2008.

It streeted against "Rogue: Unrated", "Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season" and "Lonesome Dove: 2 Disc Collector's Edition".

The basic edition originally came with a cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. The only insert was the instructions for the digital copy.

- - -

There were several exclusives. Lets address this alphabetically...

FYE/Suncoast offered an exclusive steelbook case for the film. This is fuzzy info, but it appears that it sold for $26.99. I'm not 100% certain if that was the release day price. It's the best I could do.

Target had two exclusives mixed into one. First they gave the DVD a lenticular slipcover that was different from the wraparound. Inside was the second exclusive; "Mobile Infantry Field Manual", a three page fold-out booklet. This set sold for $16.99. I remember not knowing about it until days later. I went to my local store, hoping they would still have one in stock. Yes. Yes, they did. I sold my extra copy on Ebay (minus the booklet and slipcover).

Wal-Mart had an exclusive bonus disc (in its own case), side packed the regular DVD. This set sold for $19.98. Sorry, no menu screen, the single featurette, "On The Bounce: The Making Of Starship Troopers" just plays. It has a run time of 24:11 minutes. This is where I first bought my copy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was another exclusive, but not solely for "Marauder". It was for the three movie compendium, also released that same date.

Best Buy had a eight inch limited edition Marauder figurine (unit #04) with "Starship Troopers Trilogy" DVD; entitled "The Ultimate Starship Troopers Collector's Set". This set sold for $39.99 (if you just wanted the three disc set, only - $29.99). I didn't have the money at the time, otherwise I would've gotten this too. I don't have much regret; where would I put this? The box was huge.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I really like this flick. This installment was the closest to the tone of the first movie. I've been reading reviews from folks who were bothered by the ideas this chapter gave.

* The framing of anti-war protesters on conspiracy charges (capital crime) - to be hanged.
* The co-opt of religion by the Federation.

Lethal pout.

I'm puzzled by some who didn't get the first movie. We were NOT the good guys. In fact the world government was deceiving us into going to war. Keep the masses frightened and angry, give them a common enemy; this runs the wheels of power.

The bugs are ruthless, true, but we started the war with them. This one world government is an empire. And as all empires do - they expand. We expanded to bug territory and thought we could kill these primitives and take their resources. They fought back.

In the first film we had a major disaster with a meteor which impacted Buenos Aires, it nearly totaled the metropolis. This act was the tipping point, a declaration of war was announced. The thing is how? How could the bugs have sent that rock to Earth? They have no FTL (Faster Than Light) carriers. In fact they spread by sending their seeds into space. They might land on a moon or a planet - new colony. Yes some could fly into space, but no faster than a jet engine. If they had sent that rock to us, it would've taken thousands of years to arrive - long before we ever had the ability of basic flight, before we first ventured into space itself. That rock could not go faster than they can throw/spew out.

The government told us the bugs sent it, they lied. We see that this world has an over population problem. This was a way to kill two birds with one stone; help them to eliminate a threat to their expansion and thin the herd at the same time. Why is this concept hard to understand?

You are a second class person without Citizenship; very little rights. By serving in the military, if you survive, you have rights. It's a militaristic state depicted here, not a happy world.

The other would be a power play. This new war could be used to justify taking away/reducing civil liberties; more fuel to keep the empire running. It's never about the individual rights, just the collective. That being the nice word for The Elite. As the old saying goes... 'it's good to own land'.

Lets get this clear - the film series is satire. I remember when the first movie came out, reading how some didn't see it any further than a sci-fi action piece. Really? Dude, that's disturbing. The military leaders were dressed like Nazis. Filmmakers made a parody of war and politics. C'mon, the protester here they were going to hang in the wheelchair... right - they built a ramp for his chair.

This reminds me of "Team America: World Police" (2004). There were viewers who didn't see anything wrong with what happened on screen (minus the puppet sex and puppet vomit). Did they not understand this was satire? It wasn't a patriotic motion picture - at all. WTF? *sigh*

Quote:
Across the federation, federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win.
I like how the film (number three) ended with a public announcement that we have a new weapon against the bugs. It left it rather open ended as to what they meant; the Marauders or government sanctioned religion. As for the folks who are saying its anti-Christian, they never said what religion they followed.

Would You Like To Know More?

Right now you can find "Starship Troopers 3: Marauder" with its slipcover at Big Lots! for three bucks. Well, most have it in stock.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Is it just me or does Jolene Blalock has a Raquel Welch vibe going on here? The image feels like an homage to "One Million Years B.C." (1966). I don't think I'm imagining it.

- - -

The dead continue to move among us - another installment of my "Night Of The Living Dead DVD Retrospective" is up now give it a click.

Since this is one of the larger months (there are five weeks here). There will be two more PTs for January. There you go. The next will hit the web on the morning of January 17th. *nods*

Last edited by JohnIan; 09-10-2013 at 03:24 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 AM
Target - January 8th, 2013

Smash: Season One
Exclusive bonus disc (?) - DVD only $26.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.00 DVDs

Leslie Sansone: 4 Mile Power Walk
Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred
Biggest Loser: At Home Challenge
(additional fitness titles on sale in Sporting Goods Department)

- - - - - - - - - -

Disney DVDs

Doc McStuffins: Friendship Is The Best Medicine $12.99
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Mickey & Donald Have A Farm $12.99
Tangled $14.99
Brave $14.99
Toy Story 3 $14.99
(additional Disney titles on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

Archer: The Complete Season Three $18.99
Dallas: The Complete First Season $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 CD

"Conor Maynard - Contrast" exclusive seven bonus tracks

"Dredd" is selling here for $16.99 and Frankenweenie for $17.99 (DVDs). I'll do my buying this week from Best Buy, better deals on "Archer" and "Dredd". Oh yeah, "House At The End Of The Street: Unrated" is $16.99.

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-06-2013 at 03:44 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 AM
Best Buy - January 8th, 2013

Frankenweenie
Exclusive Blu-ray 3D/Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy comb set packaging $29.99

Stolen
Exclusive store Blu-Ray $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

FDR: American Badass!
Dark Shadows
Dark Night Rises
Campaign
Magic Mike
Rock Of Ages
Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred
Jillian Michaels: Ripped In 30
Jillian Michaels: Killer Buns & Thighs
Jillian Michaels: Extreme Shed & Shred
Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown
Element: Yoga For Stress Relief & Flexibility
Element: Intro To Yoga
Element: Accelerated Pilates
Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Advanced
Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Express
The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Power Ab Blast
The Biggest Loser: The Workout - 30-Day Power X-Train

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

ParaNorman

- - - - - - - - - -

Archer: The Complete Season Three $17.99
Dallas: The Complete First Season $24.99
Anger Management: Season One $17.99
Smash: Season One $29.99
In Plain Sight: Season 4 $29.99
Justified: Season 3 $49.99
The League: Season 3 $17.99
Mad Men: Season 5 $29.99
CSI: Season 12 $34.99
Criminal Minds: Season 7 $34.99
Psych: Season 6 $36.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$15.99 CD

"Hollywood Undead - Notes from the Underground" exclusive 3 bonus tracks

"Dredd" is $14.99 here and "Frankenweenie" is $17.99 (DVDs). And "House At The End Of The Street: Unrated" is $16.99.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 AM
Best Buy - January 15th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Kidz Bop 23" exclusive store release

Can you tell it's a slow week? "Taken 2" is $16.99 as is "The Possession" (DVDs), both on my 'To Buy', but I'll pick them up when they're cheaper.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 AM
Best Buy - January 15th, 2013

Taken 2
Exclusive t-shirt with Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVD

Ellen DeGeneres: Here And Now

- - - - - - - - - - -

$5.99 DVDs

Bill Cosby: Himself
Will Ferrell: You're Welcome America

- - - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Jeff Dunham: Arguing With Myself
Jeff Dunham: Spark Of Insanity
Jim Gaffigan: Mr. Universe
Daniel Tosh: Completely Serious
Whitney Cummings: Money Shot
Kevin Hart: I'm A Grown Little Man

- - - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVDs

Bill Maher: But I'm Not Wrong
George Lopez: It's Not Me, It's You

- - - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVD

Dane Cook: Vicious Circle $17.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

Heroes: Seasons 1 - 4 $9.99 (each)
The Middle: Season 1 $14.99
Men Of A Certain Age: Season 1 $14.99
Parenthood: Seasons 1 or 2 $14.99 (each)
Saturday Night Live: Season 1 $14.99
The West Wing: Season 1 - 7 $14.99 (each)
Chuck: Season 1 - 5 $17.99 (each)
Falling Skies: Season 1 $17.99
Rizzoli & Isles: Seasons 1 or 2 $17.99 (each)
The Closer: Seasons 1 - 7 $17.99 (each)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 CD

"Mixtape Madness" exclusive store release

- - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Teena Marie - Beautiful" exclusive two bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 CD

"A$AP Rocky - LongliveA$AP" exclusive t-shirt

This is still better than Target's offering this week. I was hoping to find a listing for "About Cherry". Nope. Checked their website, $19.99. Anyhow, "Taken 2" is $16.99 and "The Possession" is $14.99, DVDs.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 AM
Past Tense

Last time we had interstellar insects, this outing it's space lizards in the reboot television series, "V"....

"V: The Complete First Season" was released on home video on November 2nd, 2010.

It streeted against "The Goonies: 25th Anniversary Collectors Edition", "Not Of This Earth: Roger Corman's Cult Classics" (1988, Traci Lords version), "Toy Story 3" and "Winnebago Man".

The regular edition originally came with a cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. And a three page folding booklet - episode guide/special features list.

- - -

There was a single exclusive in America...

Best Buy offered an exclusive steelbook case for the three disc set. The steelbook cover is different from the regular edition. This sold for $27.99 (it was also available for Blu-Ray, $34.99).

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Look, I'll be honest, this PT post is just an excuse for me to bitch. So much so, I'm breaking this Past Tense into two parts. *nods*

The reboot series was decent, it entertained me, true. But it failed to get the overall sense of escalation that the original 1983 mini-series had. And their overall purpose was muted. We got answers, but it felt hollow; more like - just because.

It was nice to see Jane Badler (as Diana) and Marc Singer (as Lars Tremont) on the show (second season, both), the two were main characters from the original iteration. I do appreciate the effort.

As I wrote, it was entertained, I'm glad the ABC series got a second season (also out on DVD). But I'm not sadden that it got canceled from there. Even Kenneth Johnson wasn't thrilled, the creator of the concept (effectively Nazis in space). He wanted his name removed from the 2009 series; it was listed as "created by". He felt (rightly so), that the reboot was so far removed from the name sake that he didn't want to be associated. Johnson went to the Writers Guild Of America in August of '09 trying to get his name taken off. His effort failed, the new series still bares the credit.

Lets begin.

In the original NBC presentation. The Visitors came to Earth in 50 motherships, each measuring three miles long. These were you're classical UFOs and they were awe-inspiring. For the 2009 series the ship was re-imagined, which is okay. A nice bit of foreshadowing, their motherships' looks like a serpent's head. This time only 29 spacecrafts have come to Earth.

I don't have an issue with the use of CGI, it's a tool, like any other. My problem is that SOOO much of the series was crutched by it. It looks fake, the ships, sets and Visitors themselves. The make-up, wasn't, it was CGI as well. This I'm sadden by.

- - -

Here we have two shots of corridors from each mothership. The one on the left is the reboot. The corridor looks empty (minus Marcus [Christopher Shyer] and Dr. Joshua [Mark Hildreth]), it lacks detail or even furniture. Have something there, maybe some kind of equipment. The other image is from the original, the difference is striking - it looks reality based. Space would be a commodity, you would need to utilize all the available area for storage, accommodations, equipment/machinery, medical and so forth. This looks functional, not like the lobby of some hotel. And it was built for real, not a CGI creation. Yes, that was a cheap shot.

- - -

This is my biggest grip with the reboot, the Visitor's clothing. Above we see Marcus and High Commander, Anna (Morena Baccarin) in their native outfits. They look like quasi-future business suits! What the hell? I can understand that they wanted to save money by making their clothes look human, but c'mon. This is crap.

This is how it was done, a clear demarcation of who they are and us. Their clothing did the job effectively. They may say 'we want to be friends', but their uniform says different (with black jackboots). Pictured above is (left to right) Diana, Martin (Frank Ashmore) and Mike Donovan (Singer). I was hoping for something similar for the reboot, we got businessmen (and women) in space. *shakes head*

Now some of you might say, 'Hey! That's the clothing for command, the rest wore a different outfit'. Yes, you are correct. Above is their basic uniform (as modeled by Anna's daughter Lisa [Laura Vandervoort ]). Yeah, this didn't impress me either; a blue jacket with matching pants. Man, you could do better, much better. This could almost be club-ware.

- - -

Scroll down a bit and read on to Part II with more bellyaching AND another store exclusive!

Last edited by JohnIan; 02-01-2014 at 08:54 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Past Tense

"V: The Complete First Season" - Part II

The other big issue I had was their shuttle crafts. It's like they ran out of ideas and slaps something together, good enough. The front looks like the space shuttle with a body that kinda reassemble a snake, sort of. I was very disappointed. That space ship looks so mundane, from the portfolio of a first year art student. Where was the grandeur?

That's fancy! And doesn't look familiar. When the Visitors first appeared in person ('83) it was from their shuttle. That's a super cool design. A craft that was made to be modular; it could shuttle, troop transport, fighter or cargo tanker. It makes perfect sense. You would want a versatile vehicle. This thing fits the bill. And this was a full scale prop (1 to 1 scale). Very sway.

Sure, another gripe were people calling the aliens - "The Vs", that got on my nerve. Just call them Visitors, don't placate to the Twitter crowd. *deep sigh*

- - -

Taking a step back on that shuttle. In the mini-series there was a scene where Mike's son's friend, Tommy (Josh Brooks) shows him his new toy - a Visitor craft with action figure. I was in elementary school when this aired (May 1st and 2nd, 1983). How cool is that? Man, I wanted one of those toys real bad! That thing was huge.

This was something I didn't know about until this year. There was a Visitor fighter craft and Jeep with figures toy set. Don't know where this was released. But I'm guessing this is from the later TV series (1984). In the series they used Jeeps to move about. Granted they did use a couple to some extent in the second mini-series "V: The Final Battle" ('84). I would like one, too bad the windows are painted black and not see through. If this came out today, it would have sound effects, light up and have a detailed cockpit. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet. It's all about licensing I suppose.

- - -

This is strictly for the guys (slash) pervs. What did the lizard ladies wear under their uniform? A solid, good question. Men will ponder that.

Sometimes lizard is better. *Fred Gwynne voice*

In the reboot, the Visitor Lisa (Laura Vandervoort) wore dark brown bra and matching boy shorts with an off white trim. Have nothing to complain about, it works and would be functional. She looks very nice in it.

For the original, Visitor Barbara (Jenny Neumann) wore a cream orange bikini (pictured with Mike Donovan [Marc Singer]). Okay, I guess. It does the job. That outfit is very much a product of its time. But I much prefer the lingerie worn by Lisa. And I'm guessing most of the male readers here would agree with that... and perhaps a few ladies too.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There was a second exclusive for season one. This came from North of the boarder - Canada, another steelbook case. As you can see the cover is slightly different from the U.S. steelbook (and wider). It was sold for DVD or Blu-Ray from Future Shop, the sister retail store of Best Buy. It was released on November 10th, 2010. Sorry, but I do not know the prices.

- - -

Here's the cover from the first mini-series. The came to DVD on July 3rd, 2001 in one of those hated cardboard snapper cases (for $19.95). *shaking fist* On November 8th, 2011 it was re-released (priced at $14.97), now in a standard DVD case.

Just so you know, it okay - nothing was lost, you gained. The DVD presents the mini-series in widescreen, but didn't the thing aired on TV full screen? They didn't chop up the bottom and top to make it wide. The mini-series was filmed wide then cropped for television.

- - -

So you can know what they did back in '80s. This is the real make-up they did for the big reveal by television journalist, Donovan who snuck on board the L.A. mothership. They are not like us... they are not our friends.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Above is a behind the scenes photo (from the finale); director/creator Kenneth Johnson with actress Faye Grant who played Dr. Juliet Parrish. I'll let you in on a personal secret... It was her. *whispered voice*

It was Ms. Grant who captured my heart as a boy and gave me a lifetime affinity for petite women. It's true. Man, she's so huggable and stuff.

There you have it, another cluster for you. You could say crap, but I would say - educational. The next PT for January will whack at you (that's not a sex pun- you'll see) on January 31st.

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-27-2013 at 04:36 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 AM
Target - January 22nd, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.50 DVDS

Spy Kids
Tommy Boy
Sixteen Candles

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.00 DVDs

Rodney Yee's Daily Yoga
Jillian Michaels: Killer Buns & Thighs
Dancing With The Stars: Cardio Dance For Weight Loss
(additional fitness titles in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.99 DVD

Barbie: The Princess & The Popstar $10.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVD

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Snow White & The Huntsman
Taken 2

- - - - - - - - - -

$16.99 DVDs

The Hunger Games
Total Recall

- - - - - - - - - -

Hatfields & McCoys $14.99
The Big Bang Theory: Season 5 $19.99
Once Upon A Time: Season 1 $24.99
Psych: Season 6 $29.99
NCIS: Season 9 $29.99
True Blood: Season 4 $29.99

Metaorphosis By Tracy Anderson $89.99
(free $20.00 gift card with purchase)

I'll probably pick up "Death Race 3" which is $16.99 (purchase this and "End Of Watch" [also $16.99], if you want, save $5.00 - must be on the same receipt), that's about it.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 AM
Best Buy - January 22nd, 2013

Out Of Sight
Exclusive store Blu-Ray $9.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Best Of Betty White $4.99
Best Of Beverly Hillbillies $4.99
Best Of Petticoat Junction $4.99
Best Of TV Western $4.99
Carol Burnett Show: Carol's Favorites $9.99
Happy Days: Season 1 $9.99
Increible Hulk: Season 1 $9.99
Magnum P.I.: Seasons 3 or 4 $9.99 (each)
Mama's Family: Season 1 $9.99
The Odd Couple: Season 1 $9.99
Three's Company: Season 1 $9.99

"Death Race 3" is $17.99 (DVD). Not much else to say. It's a poor week for titles here.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 AM
Target - January 29th, 2013

Hotel Transylvania
Exclusive bonus disc for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo set $22.99

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 2
Exclusive digital comic ("Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Issue #1"); DVD or Blu-Ray combo both $13.99 (each)

Nashville: The First Verse
Exclusive series sampler (episodes 1 -5) $9.00

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.00 DVDs

Alvin And The Chipmunks
Country Strong
The Princess Bride
Scream 4

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVD

Dora Rocks!
(additional titles on sale)

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

The Adventures of Tintin
The Lucky One
The Descendants

- - - - - - - - - -

Downton Abbey: Season 3 $25.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 CD

"Andrea Bocelli - Passione" deluxe edition with 2 exclusive bonus tracks

I'll pass this week; this and that, but not what I'm looking for. Better luck to you.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:40 AM
Best Buy - January 29th, 2013

Hotel Transylvania
Exclusive activity book with Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99

Exclusive Joker figurine with Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $19.99
(save $5.00 with purchase of "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1"; DVD or Blu-Ray)

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Taken 2
Ted: Unrated
The Bourne Legacy
Pitch Perfect
Total Recall (2012 version)
Resident Evil: Retribution
Dredd
The Amazing Spider-Man

- - - - - - - - - -

Downton Abbey: Season 3 $24.99
Land Of The Lost: The Complete Series $12.99
Daria: The Complete Series $19.99
Wonder Woman: The Complete Series $34.99
Month Python 16 Ton Mega Set $44.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series $49.99
Hogan's Heroes: The Complete Series $54.99
Brady Bunch: The Complete Series $59.99
UFC: Ultimate Fight Collection 2012 $79.99
House M.D.: The Complete Series $94.99
Charmed: The Complete Series $109.99

I'm bit bummed that "Pam Am: The Complete Series" is $29.99 (from their website, not their printed ad) - one dollar cheaper than its retail price. That's if the physical stores will carry it. It's on my to buy list, but I'll wait until I can find it cheaper. Funny. I remember buying that "Wonder Woman" box set from Big Lots some years back for six bucks - that was an awesome deal.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 AM
Wal-Mart - January 29th, 2013

Hotel Transylvania
Exclusive Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy gift set with plush Mavis toy $24.98 (though price varies from store to store)

Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 AM
Past Tense

This outing we slam evil over their wicked noggin' with a large red wrench in "Super"...

The motion picture opened in limited release on April 1st, 2011. It was made with a budget of $2,500,000 (estimated) and grossed over 327 thousand during its U.S. theatrical run. This was an Indie feature. The film opened number forty-eight at the box office, the following week it dropped to number fifty.

The feature opened against "Source Code", "Insidious", "Sucker Punch" and "Hop".

This release originally came with a cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. There was no insert or advertisement.

- - -

There were two exclusives for this film, both of them from Best Buy, which is pretty sway since it was barely a blip at the box office.

The first was a bonus disc, it streeted with the movie on August 9th, 2011. The set sold for $14.99 (the exclusive was also available on Blu-Ray for $19.99). It came in a two disc, transparent DVD case. There was nothing printed on the underside of the wraparound.

Above is the weekly ad announcing their particular gimmicks. I bought my copy on release day. The bonus disc has a run time of 95:33 minutes and the gallery holds 26 images. A pretty cool collection of extras here.

The second exclusive is internet based. On the Best Buy website is a 2:14 minute clip (too short to be called a featurette). Quick interviews with the folks who made the film. It's free, I've downloaded it, an FLV document. It was interesting, but parts of it are carry over from the bonus disc.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I'm sure there are a number of you who are in the dark about this flick. Okay. This is a home made super hero movie - much like "Kick-Ass" (2010), but on a much smaller budget. This isn't an action film, it's a drama with some comedic moments. It's about a middle age, broken man who got pushed too many times and takes it upon himself to make things right... with violent results.

Frank Darrbo (Rainn Wilson) works as a short order cook at a diner. It's a bland existence. There were two perfect moments in his life; the day he married his wife, Sarah (Liv Tyler) and the time he helped the police catch a crook (which was more of a finger point... he did it).

His dull life has pushed Sarah back into bad habits - she was a recovering addict. Sarah left him and hooked with a drug dealer, Jacques (Kevin Bacon); her sugar daddy/supplier. Things looks bleak for Frank when he gets beaten up trying to convince Sarah to come back to him - beaten by Jacques' henchmen.

Recovering at home from the thrashing, he hallucinates and gets the idea of how to stop crime, stop drugs - get his beloved back. Do what the cops can't do - Frank Darrbo becomes the Crimson Bolt! But his first outing as a vigilante is a failure. He decides to rethink his scheme and takes a trip to the local comic book store for inspiration. There he meets Libby (Ellen Page) who is curious about him; he's not what you could consider a fanboy. She helps him with various comic books where the hero has no super powers, but still fight crime. Crimson Bolt version 2.0 is born.

The second attempt is only slightly better than the first, but Frank gets injured. Panicking with no place to go - he heads off to the only other person he knows... Libby. Frank is somewhat of a shut-in. Crimson Bolt has made the news and she is surprised to meet the man, the guy she met earlier. Libby helps him recover and gets the idea of becoming his costumed sidekick, Boltie. Frank declines, but admits her knowledge in these kind of things - he reluctantly agrees. The problem is... she has issues, this misadventure is just an excuse for her to act out.

Not to worry, I haven't really spoiled anything, this is the set-up, much more happens. There is a moment near the end that is unexpected, it happens so fast, reality based. It's sad, but feels very natural. The end is also so right. It's not a Hollywood ending; things don't always go the way you want. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a success. Victory isn't about a parade or getting a prize. Frank finds joy and becomes a better person from his experience, made me smile and I'm sure you will too.

Lets clear something, Libby did not rape Frank. He even hugged her when climaxing. There is a moment where things got very heated after stopping some baddies (once they returned to her place). He gave in and had sex with her and immediately regretted it - vomiting in the bathroom. The whole point of become the Crimson Bolt was to get his wife back. And now he cheated on Sarah with a girl he just met a few days earlier, this wasn't his pathos, an adulterer. He was suppose to be the moral compass; his world view is very black and white. Good? There.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

There are a couple more home made hero movies; both like "Super" didn't get much attention, but deserve to be seen.

Released in 2009 from Magnolia Home Entertainment was "Special: Specioprin Hydrochloride (RX)". The movie was made in 2006. Les Franken (Michael Rapaport) is a fanboy who works as a meter maid, an awkward, quiet fellow with friends who work at the local comic book shop. Les decides to participate in a clinical trial of an experimental anti-depressant, Specioprin Hydrochloride. The drug has a side effect, super powers.

The thing is... it's all in his head.

He quits his job to undertake his new life calling - stopping villainy. This could've been so cartoony, but wasn't. Les has such a hole in his life that's so sad. He thinks, believes this drug is the cure to his situation - a way out of his monotony. There's a part towards the end when he realizes his world is a fake, Les has a breakdown in the bathroom of a convenience store. It's depressing. He wants to be someone so badly.

But when one of his friend is kidnapped for Les' drugged up acts of vigilantism. He has to go crazy one more time, become that person, be a real hero. *smile* This could be summed up as a dark comedy, but it's a drama. The arc of man who finds out who he is and comes out the other side, whole.

I do like the fact that Les' slap together costume is very utilitarian. It serves its purpose and if you were to see him on the street, you might mistaken him as homeless, that's smart.

It's pretty obvious that Les is trippin' on the pills. BUT there are two moments that make you wonder if... maybe there is something more going on here. These are not from his point of view, it's reality based. Not going to spoil them, they are head scratchers. There is wonderment out there.

- - -

The other was released by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in 2010, "Defendor". Arthur Poppington (Woody Harrelson) is a mildly retarded guy who works in construction by day and becomes a budget avenger by night - Defendor. Unlike Frank or Les, Arthur creates an arsenal of home made gadgets for his alter ego, they are functional. His motivation is retribution, the murder of his mother by a man known to him as Captain Industry (it's a huge mis-understanding).

The plot centers on a crooked cop (Elias Koteas) who's working with the Serbian mob. Arthur finds a friend in Katerina (Kat Dennings), a local prostitute that he rescues (which isn't so much a rescue). She gets entangled in his fantasy and things escalate quickly. Captain Industry must be stopped. It should be noted that Katerina does not become his sidekick, but rather his confidant, a friend.

It's apparent that Arthur is somewhat handicapped. But the people around him don't call attention to it. He isn't talked down to. It could've been a cliché. Nope. We learn that he has had a hard life, but it hasn't taken away his optimism or good heart. He genuinely want to help make the world a better place.

This too is a drama with some funny moments sprinkled in. All three films, are highly recommended; the gems that fell through the crack.

I'm done.

The next PT will surface on February 14th. *wink*
Old 02-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Target - February 5th, 2013

Peter Pan Diamond Edition
Exclusive Digibook with 32-page storybook for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 CD

"Josh Groban - All That Echoes" four exclusive bonus tracks

Yeah, that's this week - that's some list Lou.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Best Buy - February 5th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

30% off select UFC DVDs

- - - - - - - - - -

Southland: Seasons 2 & 3 (set) $39.99
West Wing: The Complete Series $89.99
Smallville: The Complete Series $144.99
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Complete Series $89.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Coheed & Cambira - Afterman: Decension" three exclusive bonus tracks with book

History is repeating itself; I don't see anything I want. I know this will change as the weeks march on, but I'm kinda glad I don't have to worry about buying anything.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 AM
Target - February 12th, 2013

Weeds: Season Eight
Exclusive bonus disc; DVD or Blu-Ray (both formats - same price) $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.75 DVDs

Happy Feet
Coraline (single disc version)
Madly Madagascar
Good Will Hunting
The Devil Wears Prada
Valentine's Day

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

($5 off when you buy "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 2" and "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1" DVD or Blu-ray - must be on the same receipt)

Pitch Perfect
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Magic Mike
Taken 2
Hotel Transylvania
The Dark Knight Rises
Looper
Total Recall
Pretty Little Liars: Season 2
Gossip Girl: Season 5

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Imagine Dragons - Night Vision" deluxe edition with 2 exclusive tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Bombshell - The New Marilyn Musical From Smash" deluxe edition with 3 exclusive tracks and interview

Some good deals this week. But my main focus on "Weeds" S8, that's about it for me this week. I'll pick up "Skyfall" at a later time; here this week for $16.99 (DVD). What I'm gonna try is price matching Best Buy price for S8, $19.99. It worked for another store exclusive some months back. *fingers crossed*
Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 AM
Best Buy - February 12th, 2013

Silent Hill: Revelation
Exclusive Blu-Ray/3D Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo - exclusive store early release $27.99

Rise Of The Zombies
Exclusive Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $9.99

WWE: The Best of WCW Monday Nitro, Vol. 2
Exclusive bonus disc; DVD or Blu-Ray editions $17.99 and 22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

The Dark Knight Rises
The Campaign
Apparition

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Paranormal Activity 4: Unrated
Hit & Run

- - - - - - - - - -

Gossip Girl: The Sixth and Final Season $19.99
Weeds: Season Eight $19.99
Nurse Jackie: Season Four $24.99
Justified: Season 3 $29.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series $49.99
The Mentalist: Season 4 $24.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 $24.99
I Love Lucy: The Complete Series $109.99

Yeah, I don't see any wants here. Just this, that and the other thing. *shrugs* "Skyfall" is also $16.99 here too (DVD).
Old 02-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Past Tense

I'm shaking like milk. For Valentine's Day we get a spirited affair with a not so dead girl in "Just Like Heaven"...

The supernatural romcom opened on September 16th, 2005. It was made with a budget of $58,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 48 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it dropped to number eight.

The feature opened against "Cry_Wolf", "Transporter 2", "The Exorcism Of Emily Rose" and "Wedding Crashers".

The DVD did not come with a slipcover or any insert.

- - -

There was a single exclusive, a gift set from Wal-Mart; DVD with its novelization. The combo sold for $19.96 and streeted on February 7th, 2006. The book was written by Marc Levy. Published by Atria Books, 234 pages. It is a smaller softcover book, not paperback sized. As I recall, this exclusive was also available for the full screen version, same price.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

As it stands in my collection (1,711 - as of writing), I only have a few romantic comedies. This is one of them. It was a blind buy, back in the day. I saw the trailer online and TV commercials, thought I would give it a go. I wasn't disappointed.

Look, I know this is fluff. And some would argue the worse kind - the pandering kind. *sigh* Don't have much of a defense for that. It is, what it is.

What I took was a sweet and charming flick, that is at its core, predicable. Which isn't a bad thing, many horror movies pretty much are clones of each other - the slasher genre comes to mind. Hell, if you've seen one car chase, you've pretty much seen them all.

The chemistry between the leads were good, both Reese Witherspoon (as Dr. Elizabeth Masterson) and Mark Ruffalo (as David Abbott) did their jobs. The humor was effective, not so much as laugh out loud moments as it was a nice chuckles and smiles. And the ghost effects were about just as you would imagine. Well, better than one of those "Topper" films (did I just show my age?).

No real problems with the movie. But I do wonder why this cost more than forty-eight million to make? The only thing that pops to mind is the price for Witherspoon and Jon Heder (who was much in demand at the time) participation. But even then, that's a lot of money, where did the rest go? There isn't many set pieces, the main being Masterson's apartment where much of the movie takes place. Oh well.

I'm glad that they used Jon Heder in a sparing way. Granted his character, Darryl does move the story forward with needed exposition; he doesn't overstay his welcome. The guy plays the same fellow in EVERY movie he's in; actors Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera have made a career out of it - though many would argue they are interchangeable (myself included).

Gonna pull out my Pig Card. This will probably offend a few. Not going to apologize, I own these words.

I do not find women with stretch marks around their mouth attractive. Yes, I know it's not their fault, they're a victim of their own genes. While Witherspoon is pretty and hovers on adorable, the moment she smiles, I kinda lose interest. The thought that immediately comes to mind is actress, Faye Dunaway.

Ms. Dunaway was decent looking in "Chinatown" (1974), but had the stretch marks. Man, seeing photos of her now or ten years ago make me cringe. Those marks get bigger and way more pronounced - that the future I see for Witherspoon. I'm talking about prominent stretch marks, not the tiny ones.

Why am I bring this up?

I'm writing about this because of the DVD cover. She's smiling and those stretch marks are present. Why? As you can see from the film's poster (where she is also smiling), they photoshopped it out. Why wasn't that employed for the cover? My eyes went straight to the stretch marks.

There you have it. This is a short entry, but gets the job done. Happy Valentines Day!

Next PT will haunt you on the February 28th.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Wal-Mart - February 12th, 2013

"The Jungle Book" Gift Set; DVD with collectible figurines, Baloo and Mowgil. $14.96 tag.

This appears to be a CGI film.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 AM
Target - February 19th, 2013

Argo
Exclusive bonus disc? Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $29.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Second Season
Exclusive bonus Blu-Ray disc for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $29.99 - bonus disc is a Blu-Ray

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVD

Dora The Explorer: Dora's Butterfly Ball

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$8.99 DVD

Sesame Street: Elmo's World - All Day With Elmo

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Bubble Guppies: On the Job!
Scooby-Doo!: 13 Spooky Tales Around The World
Tom & Jerry & The Wizard Of Oz

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Second Season $24.99

Game of Thrones: Season 1 $29.99
Girls: Season 1 $17.99
Eastbound & Down: Season 3 $16.99
Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 $26.99
True Blood: Season 4 $26.99
Band of Brothers $32.99
The Wire: Season 1 $14.99
John Adams $12.99
(additional TV sets on sale in store)

I'm hoping that DVD edition S2 of "Game Of Thrones" will have the bonus disc. I'll find out on Tuesday and post here.

- - -

Nope. The DVD does not come with a bonus disc.

Last edited by JohnIan; 02-24-2013 at 04:03 AM..
Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 AM
Best Buy - February 19th, 2013

Exclusive packaging; Greyjoy or Lannister - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $34.99

Joan Rivers: Don't Start With Me
Exclusive bonus CD $11.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Second Season $29.99
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome Unrated $14.99
Game Of Thrones: The Complete First Season $39.99
Park And Recreation: Season 2 $14.99
Saturday Night Live: Season 2 $14.99
Two And A Half Men: Seasons 7 or 8 $14.99
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Season 6 $17.99
Archer: Season 2 $17.99
Eastbound & Down: Season 2 $17.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 $17.99
South Park: Season 15 $17.99
Family Guy: Volume 9 $19.99
Psych: Season 5 $19.99

Looks like I'm picking up "BSG: Blood & Chrome" here.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:05 AM
Wal-Mart - February 19th, 2013

Exclusive bonus disc $39.99 - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo; bonus disc is a Blu-Ray

Last edited by JohnIan; 02-24-2013 at 04:03 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 03:07 AM
Target - February 26th, 2013

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (available March 2nd)
Exclusive bonus disc; 3 Disc DVD $22.99/ 2 Disc Blu-Ray $26.99; movie available at select Targets at 12:01am March 2nd, 2013

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
Re-release; exclusive 2 disc DVD gift set with authentic prop flower keepsake $14.99

Barbie In The Pink Shoes
Free "Barbie In The Pink Shoes" doll (packaged separately) with DVD or Blu-Ray combo purchase $12.99/17.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Twilight (single disc edition)
The Twilight Saga: New Moon (single disc edition)
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (single disc edition)

It's all about "Twilight" this week. If you're into that... okay. I'll pass. I do appreciate that the DVD edition ("Twilight") comes with an exclusive disc - unlike "Games Of Thrones" S2. I'm still sad about that.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 AM
Best Buy - February 26th, 2013

Freaky Deaky
Exclusive wearable sideburns $9.99

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (available March 2nd)
Exclusive collectible locket key chain for the Blu-Ray edition $22.99

The Twilight Saga
Exclusive film series collection, Blu-Ray only $44.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

End Of Watch
Death Race 3: Inferno

- - - - - - - - - -

Weeds: Season Eight $19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season $39.99
BBC Earth: Africa $19.99
The Carol Burnett Show: This Time Together $7.99
The Leauge: Season 2 $9.99
American Dad: Volume 7 $9.99
Arrested Development: Season 3 $9.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 5 $17.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 $24.99
Archer: Season 1 or 2 $17.99 (each)
Spartacus: Vengence $19.99
Family Guy: Volume 8 $19.99
Two And A Half Men: Season 9 $19.99
Psych: Season 6 $27.99
Criminal Minds: Season 7 $34.99

I see... so nothing for me here. You may have better luck though.

Last edited by JohnIan; 02-25-2013 at 02:17 AM..