Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2003, 10:31 AM
I finally figured out who Keyser Söze is!***Obvious Spoilers***

Watching The Usual Suspects for the 10000000th time last night, I finally got it sorted. The lawyer, Kobayashi, is actually Keyser Söze, who's using Verbal to tell his myth onward.

Clue 1: Kobayashi first appears after the Usual Suspects kill Saul and his bodyguards in the parking garage. He comes in to make sure that all is still cool, and one of them has freaked out, and Verbal is holding them all together.

Clue 2: Verbal loses the touch on the other guys, and they go to kill Kobayashi, who then tells everyone that if they kill him, their families will be destroyed. Hence, no killings.

Clue 3: Kobayashi doesn't completely trust Verbal(a man with that stature wouldn't trust anyone), so he frames Verbal Kint as Keyser by manipulating the crispy critter at the hospital to think that he's seen Keyser Söze, when in fact he's only seen Verbal Kint.

Clue 4: Kint's leg straightens out and hand works again, after getting out of the police station. He then enters a car driven by Kobayashi, who gives Verbal an approving look. The whole thing was to drive the police off guard on the case of Keyser Söze.

As you see there is no doubt, that he really is Keyser Söze...
Old 03-20-2003, 10:49 AM
But what about that one surviving guy from the boat, who gave the police a description of who he said was Keyser Soze, and the drawing looked like Verbal?
Old 03-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I think Verbal was Keyser Soze. Kobiyashi was just his buddy.

Try saying Keyser Soze in a normal voice. You cant right? Whenever I say that name, I automatically go into a deep evil sounding accented voice.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:12 AM
i always got the impression that verbal was soze. but i guess the other interpretation is pretty cool as well...

i still reckon its verbal mind
Old 03-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cky_landspeed
But what about that one surviving guy from the boat, who gave the police a description of who he said was Keyser Soze, and the drawing looked like Verbal?
As I said above, the guy thought he'd seen Keyser Söze, but in fact, it was Kobayashi's plan to make Verbal look like Keyser Söze, thus making himself look like he had nothing to do with it...
Old 03-20-2003, 11:26 AM
this andrew guy makes a hell of a case guys....

it was verbal though. lol
Old 03-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Just a note: Soze means "verbal" in turkish. This was intentional.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuukka
Just a note: Soze means "verbal" in turkish. This was intentional.
You almost got me there, but Verbal was just a nickname(obviously) and it was all Kobayashi's plan to make ROGER Kint look like Keyser Söze...

In fact, though it does seem like Spacey's character is Keyser Söze in the movie, they never tell it to us straight. That's the beauty of the whole movie. That's how I was able to create this theory of mine...
Old 03-20-2003, 12:24 PM
According to the filmmakers, Verbal is Keyser Soze. Though I'm sure they wouldn't mind it being open to interpretation.

Last edited by Beeblebrox; 03-20-2003 at 01:01 PM..
Old 03-20-2003, 12:30 PM
it's verbal. you're wrong, face it.

Just kidding, I like trying to read new things into the films, but this interpretation just isn't as plausible-- ie. has less evidence in the film. Also why would he not trust verbal as you say, but trust him enough to be solely responsible for throwing them off his track? plus, WE only know what Kobayashi looks like because of Verbal's story, but the cops wouldn't have a clue, so why would he need to trhow them off a track they weren't even on??
Old 03-20-2003, 08:51 PM
CONS:

-Why would Verbal pretend to be crippled? Doesn't that make it sort of difficult for the cops to figure out that he's Soze??

-Why would Kobayashi make a plan that just might not work? In fact the plan doesn't work, because the cops don't figure out Verbal is Soze until it's too late.

- Verbal made up the story using items in the police station. How could have Kobayashi planned for those items to be in there?

PROS:

- Would make for an awesome sequel (yeah, i said it!)

- Makes a kick ass topic.

- Can't really disprove it.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbaStrangelove
CONS:

-Why would Verbal pretend to be crippled? Doesn't that make it sort of difficult for the cops to figure out that he's Soze??
That it does do, since he is not Söze. I think it's all Kobayashi's plan to make it look in the end that Verbal was a fake, and thus making everyone believe that it was Keyser Söze and no one would look in the right direction.

Quote:
-Why would Kobayashi make a plan that just might not work? In fact the plan doesn't work, because the cops don't figure out Verbal is Soze until it's too late.
That's why the crispy guy at the hospital tells everyone what Keyser Söze looks like and because of the fax, now everyone's looking for a guy looking like Verbal thinking that they're looking for Keyser Söze. Genius, isn't it?

Quote:
- Verbal made up the story using items in the police station. How could have Kobayashi planned for those items to be in there?
This one was Verbal's idea. Keyser Söze told him to make up a story, and that he did do. Brilliantly.

You really can't disprove that I don't have a point...
Old 03-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Yeah this is a pretty kick ass theory, but I think its wrong. It is damn hard to disprove though.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a good theory, Andrew. Of course if you have the special edition of Usual Suspects, you know that people think it could be Verbal Kint, Kobayashi, or Keaton--indeed there are people who have Usual Suspects parties once a week and view and discuss the film. With evidence to support all three theories. That's one of the reasons this film is so brilliant, that it allows for one interpretation. Of course the fax that's received at the end of the film does really give me enough (along with the other things) to convince me as Spacey, your conclusion is as valid as any.

J

P.S. I think it should've at least been nominated for Best Picture.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:05 AM
Good theory, but I still think Verbal Kint is Keyser Soze. However, you never know, maybe it wasn't. This is probably the greatest thing about "The Usual Suspects", even though the final twist is a complete shocker, the entire film still remains a mystery.

Therefore, it's up to movie buffs such as the schmoes who loved and appreciated "The Usual Suspects" to come up with our own interpretation.....

Damn, what a magnificent film this is, I love it!

Strider
Old 03-21-2003, 04:29 AM
I hate to be a jerk - no, really, I do - but if Christopher McQuarrie says that Keyser Soze is Verbal Kint, if Singer says the same thing, if Spacey agrees, then why are we entertaining this? I really am not trying to be a jerk (yeah, really) but I own the SE DVD, the screenplay published by Faber, inc the interview with McQuarrie from Sight & Sound shortly after Sundance, and a whole rash of materials about the movie - and at no point does he ever say Verbal is not Soze. What he does say, repeatedly I may add, is that Soze is Kint - hence the name Soze, Turkish for "Verbal" etc etc and all the other clues. Kobayashi is not even Hungarian/Turkish. He is Pakistani (in the screenplay). The man is not Soze. Sorry about that. Take care, though.

P.S. Marla Singer is Tyler Durden.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Yeah I hate to agree but Reigh is right.

It's Verbal all the way. If Kobayashi wanted to try and blame it on Verbal, making him act like him, don't you think he would have given it away a bit more? And why would Verbal intentionally want to try and show people it's him anyway? Surely that'd be a bad move. Plus, with this new theory it kind of lessens the impact of the end. It's much more brilliant seeing it be Verbal.

Still, it's always cool looking at films in new ways so keep it up!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:15 PM

You really can't disprove that I don't have a point...
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I already said that.

The real point, though, is that you really can't prove that everyone including the writer of the movie, the director, the stars, the fans, and I are all wrong.

And be honest -- did you really know that Soze means Verbal?

Like I already said, "Makes a kick ass topic."

Really, be glad that someone gave you that much. You're not convincing me, and already have Reigh slamming this topic.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:13 PM
I still say it was Verbal, Kobiyashi doesn't seem like the Keyser type to me.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 03-21-2003 at 04:39 PM..
Old 03-22-2003, 05:15 AM
Although this movie confuses one on the first viewing, it is still pretty obvious that Verbal is Keyser Soze. The way he uses the notice board to create false names is genius. But the first time I saw the movie I thought Keaton would turn out to be Soze, but alas it was Verbal.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Like most of the people here, I believe Verbal is Keyzer Soze, but I really like your theory, Andrew Tom. If I hadn't heard the filmmakers say (I think it was in an interview or something) that Verbal was in fact Keyzer, I might totally believe it...
Old 03-22-2003, 01:32 PM
I adhere to the Verbal is Soze theory more. It just fits more within the context, and due to Spacey's performance, he's more believeable as Soze than Pete Postalwaite
Old 03-22-2003, 01:44 PM
i believe in verbal. i thought it was him 80% of the way through, until they made you think keaton was that soze bastard. so i changed my last minute opinion to the worse. good good shit.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:34 PM
I agree that Keyser Soze is Verbal Kint.

Props to Andrew Tom though for thinking outside the box.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by syxxpac

Props to Andrew Tom though for thinking outside the box.

I agree and only hope that one day he gives me guff for my odd takes on some movies.

One thing I loved about The Usual Suspects was the fact that the cripled underling was really the genius behind the whole thing. Agent Kujan really insulted "Verbal's" intellegence on many occassions -- making it very cool that he turned out to be the one of lessor intellegence.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Keyser Soze
Old 03-23-2003, 05:32 PM
no. I dont think that the filmakers delved this deep into it. I've heard kevin spacey in interviews talking about the character, and it is in fact keyser soze.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Kevin Spacey is Keyser Soze...

I've believed all along that it was Verbal. I mean, faking a gimp was pure classic! One of the great moments in movie history.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Wait, hold the phone. I thought Doofy was the killer.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jackson13

Shizzle....
Old 03-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jackson13
Hahahaha! I think that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Thanks babe...
Old 03-24-2003, 06:47 AM
i once heard a theory that the guy in the hospital was keyzer zose.....cant remeber why

gee rupert thats a helpful post lol
Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=Andrew Tom;700335]Watching The Usual Suspects for the 10000000th time last night, I finally got it sorted. The lawyer, Kobayashi, is actually Keyser Söze, who's using Verbal to tell his myth onward.

Really? You had to watch it that many times?

Clue 1: Kobayashi first appears after the Usual Suspects kill Saul and his bodyguards in the parking garage. He comes in to make sure that all is still cool, and one of them has freaked out, and Verbal is holding them all together.

-Wrong. Keaton is holding them together..

Clue 2: Verbal loses the touch on the other guys, and they go to kill Kobayashi, who then tells everyone that if they kill him, their families will be destroyed. Hence, no killings.

-Um, they just go to show that they can get to him as well and then kill him. Verbal lets him know about this and asks to Cal keaton's girl over to show em who's boss.

Clue 3: Kobayashi doesn't completely trust Verbal(a man with that stature wouldn't trust anyone), so he frames Verbal Kint as Keyser by manipulating the crispy critter at the hospital to think that he's seen Keyser Söze, when in fact he's only seen Verbal Kint.

-Again, Koba is soze's lawyer to pull him out. He goes in cuz that guy in th ship has seen verbal aka soze's face and goes there to kill him and be sure of it. he has koba do all the dirty work for him.
-To prove it, as kujan says, "Keaton was soze and went to the ship to kill the only man who had seen his face to kill him personally", keaton wasn't and soze kills keaton, but if soze went to kill that dude personally, then, when soze opens the door to kill him, he sees soze face and screams, "I did not tell them anything".. He recogises verbals face as soze and gets scared.

Clue 4: Kint's leg straightens out and hand works again, after getting out of the police station. He then enters a car driven by Kobayashi, who gives Verbal an approving look. The whole thing was to drive the police off guard on the case of Keyser Söze.

-Nah.. As verbal says, "The only person he'll come for is me, and then you wont hear from him again". Point is, after verbal walks out of the station, he wont be resurfacing ever again.
Tell me this, no matter how much verbal helps koba/soze according to your theory, would soze really Chauffeur verbal? Somebody of that stature wouldn't be driving a car himself..

As you see there is no doubt, that Kint really is Keyser Söze...