Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Jedi are essential to Star Wars

Who would want to watch a Star Wars movie where there's little mention of The Force, and there's an absence of Jedi? Not me. Am I alone?

I've just felt like Jedi were the best part of the Star Wars movies, and what really distinguishes them from so many other space sagas.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 05:25 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
They're dull. I would prefer them to be in the background.

The new trilogy suffered having them as protagonists.

The protagonists of the old trilogy were mostly regular people and other beings whose vulnerability was a mainstay of the excitement and danger.

Jedi should definitely feature, but as benevolent guides to help a regular and more fragile characters who struggle to distinguish friend from foe. Working out who are the jedis and who are on the dark side would be an interesting drive to the story.

I can pretty much agree with this. In the OT, the Jedi and Sith didn't get into too many fights. In fact, there are only 3 instances when a lightsaber is shown A New Hope: Luke gets his fathers lightsaber, Obi-Wan cuts off Ponda Baba's arm, and the fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader. Empire: Wampa cave (another disarm), Han cutting open his Tauntaun, fight between Luke and ghost Vader, fight between Luke and Vader. Return: Jabba's palace, fight between Luke and Vader. The PT seemed to feature them a lot more, expect for Phantom, which outside of out the beginning and the final fight, didn't have a whole of lightsaber action.

I, too, think the Jedi and Sith should be secondary characters (at least with lightsaber play) to the story as a whole. That's what we have awesome games for. I feel that if we have a movie focusing mostly on Jedi and such, it would be an oversaturation. It would also distract from the storyline and character development if any new characters come into play.

Now, I'm not saying Jedi and Sith shouldn't be in the movies (spin-offs, I assume if that's where you're going with this), as they very much should be and most likely will be in some sort of capacity (maybe Boba Fett offs a couple of Jedi for a bounty), but they shouldn't be the main focus. Afterall, that's what we have the PT for as it focused literally all on Jedi/Sith and not so much on other characters.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Who would want to watch a Star Wars movie where there's little mention of The Force, and there's an absence of Jedi? Not me. Am I alone?

I've just felt like Jedi were the best part of the Star Wars movies, and what really distinguishes them from so many other space sagas.
I did not read any of the books, so I have no idea what happens beyond the movies. All six Star Wars movies are all about Anakin and then Luke. The Skywalker family. Everything else is background. I would be very interested to see if they continue with the Skywalker family or go in a new direction. The Jedi stuff and the Force are background to the people. I can see the first new one going very political and Jedi based.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Jedi are emotionless do-gooders. Even Luke became SO boring in ROTJ because he was trying to be all mysterious and jedi-y.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 AM
I was bored by the whole good guys versus bad guys. We need some grey area characters.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I did not read any of the books, so I have no idea what happens beyond the movies. All six Star Wars movies are all about Anakin and then Luke. The Skywalker family. Everything else is background. I would be very interested to see if they continue with the Skywalker family or go in a new direction. The Jedi stuff and the Force are background to the people. I can see the first new one going very political and Jedi based.
As I've said elsewhere, it would make little sense to continue with the episode numberings if these next 3 movies didn't have any direct ties to the first 6. Keep the Skywalkers/Jedi/Sith the main focal point of the movies; save the other, more peripheral characters for featuring in that live action TV series Lucas was proposing.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 AM
And if they do feature them at least put against an enemy in which the force doesn't work against like the yuuzan vong or something like that.

The first trilogy worked because the characters where vulnerable, han solo a man, obi wan a pensioner, and luke was a kid to which the audience could easily identify with.