Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Gay's contract was awful and the Grizz committed a lot of money to other guys down the road. Randolph and Gasol are gonna be making over $30 million combined over the next 3 seasons. They just couldn't afford paying a starting frontcourt $45 million, which would've been the case had they kept Gay.

They signed Gay before they changed their identity. Now, they're the most physical team in the league and they run their offense through the best big man combo in the league. They need a small forward who matches the physicality, plays D (somehow, Gay is an awful defender, despite his length, reflexes, and athleticism), and can spread the floor (Gay is an average jump shooter). He just doesn't fit the new mold of the team.

They're worse right now, but they did have a solid playoff run 2 years ago with Gay hurt. Can they beat OKC now? No. but I'm not sure they could've before. I would've liked to see them go down swinging and keep Gay for this season, but I understand the business implications.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 01-31-2013 at 10:06 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Gay is decent and I get why the Raps might want him, but this isn't the one move that will make them a playoff contender. They had a few guys who were coming into their own this year in Calderon, DeRozan and Ed Davis. Now Calderon is getting shipped off. Get rid of Bargnani or Valanciunas or one of your many mediocre Eastern Europeans, not the one guy who kind of made sense in your system
Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
Gay is decent and I get why the Raps might want him, but this isn't the one move that will make them a playoff contender. They had a few guys who were coming into their own this year in Calderon, DeRozan and Ed Davis. Now Calderon is getting shipped off. Get rid of Bargnani or Valanciunas or one of your many mediocre Eastern Europeans, not the one guy who kind of made sense in your system
Calderon has been playing like this for years. He's always been one of the most underrated PG's in the league but lacks exposure due to his simple unflashy approach and because he plays in Toronto.

I agree about Bargnani but am willing to give Jonas a fair shake. He's shown flashes of being a more rough and rumble rebounder/blocker with a waaaay better low post game than Andrea.

Don't really like this trade though. Ed Davis was really showing signs this season and I've heard nothing but mediocre things about Gay.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Looks like the Celts have lost Sullinger for the rest of the season, (he's undergoing back surgery). That's a bummer since he contributed a decent amount of offensive rebounds to our team, a trait that the Celtics have been lacking since the loss of Perkins. I'm still not ready to doubt their playoff potential yet, but one more loss off the roster might change my outlook.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
Looks like the Celts have lost Sullinger for the rest of the season, (he's undergoing back surgery). That's a bummer since he contributed a decent amount of offensive rebounds to our team, a trait that the Celtics have been lacking since the loss of Perkins. I'm still not ready to doubt their playoff potential yet, but one more loss off the roster might change my outlook.
Saw that and wasn't all that happy about it. Sullinger's been doing great overall for his rookie season, especially rebounding for sure. I guess they had Fab Melo play his first NBA game yesterday.... When I was watching him in the summer league, I was none too impressed. Hopefully I'm wrong on him....

Good win for Boston vs. Orlando regardless though.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Saw that and wasn't all that happy about it. Sullinger's been doing great overall for his rookie season, especially rebounding for sure. I guess they had Fab Melo play his first NBA game yesterday.... When I was watching him in the summer league, I was none too impressed. Hopefully I'm wrong on him....

Good win for Boston vs. Orlando regardless though.
I agree with you about Melo and the win over Orlando wholeheartedly. Maybe the rest of the team is starting to step up their game because they realize how dire things are with Rondo gone. Having a point guard like Rondo is awesome, but if some of your players aren't use to playing at his pace/on the same mental level as him, then I could see how everyone could just sit back and let him do most of the work w/o setting up anything themselves. With Rondo out, the rest of the Celtics have to put more thought and effort into how they will design and execute their plays. I'm not saying that playing in the NBA with a teammate like Rondo makes game-play a total breeze, but it's certainly easier when you're a big guy and all you have to do is stand under the basket until Rondo feeds you some crazy-ass pass that makes it by three defenders for the easy basket.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Quote:
I agree with you about Melo and the win over Orlando wholeheartedly. Maybe the rest of the team is starting to step up their game because they realize how dire things are with Rondo gone. Having a point guard like Rondo is awesome, but if some of your players aren't use to playing at his pace/on the same mental level as him, then I could see how everyone could just sit back and let him do most of the work w/o setting up anything themselves. With Rondo out, the rest of the Celtics have to put more thought and effort into how they will design and execute their plays. I'm not saying that playing in the NBA with a teammate like Rondo makes game-play a total breeze, but it's certainly easier when you're a big guy and all you have to do is stand under the basket until Rondo feeds you some crazy-ass pass that makes it by three defenders for the easy basket.
Well said sir, I think you're absolutely correct on that! Having a premier PG definitely makes the game easier for all. So take him out of the equation, and you've got Pierce playing like it's 2008 again, and KG playing consistent & steady like he has been for the past 5 years or so. I really like Avery Bradley as well, but I read somewhere Ainge may be looking to trade for a better point guard (can't remember the names mentioned now). So we'll see how that ends up, by around the 21st of the month, which I believe is the trade cut-off date.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Celts beat the Clippers!!!! They're making a hell of a push with Rondo gone!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Celts beat the Clippers!!!! They're making a hell of a push with Rondo gone!

Note to self: Stop reading this thread when I've got Celtics game set on DVR to watch after work.

Last edited by jaw2929; 02-03-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Note to self: Stop reading this thread when I've got Celtics game set on DVR to watch after work.
Sorry man, didn't mean to spoil it for ya, hehe.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Sorry man, didn't mean to spoil it for ya, hehe.
It's cool, I ended up watching it anyway. Cuz living in Phoenix, I can only see the C's games that're nationally televised or that are on NBA TV. (I don't wanna spend the money for league pass).

It was a helluva game, and I figured it was going to end up being a blow-out! But then LA came back & Truth showed why he's a future hall of famer. My favourite player in the league getting it done in the clutch! When he hit that three, I was like "nail in the coffin!"
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM
So it looks like Howard won't be traded by the deadline, which creates an interesting off-season scenario. Who will he sign with? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like it's possible for him to sign with the Nets. Houston is interested, but is that a place that he really would want to go? Dallas is aging and probably wouldn't be a contender unless they sign someone else as well. LA can pay him the most money and give him the most years, but he doesn't seem to like the pressure or being pushed by Kobe to be better. I don't get it. I can see how there could be a clash of personalities, but Kobe is literally changing his entire offensive mindset to help him and the team. Do you really want to go to a Nets team with a bunch of aging supporting players and a confrontational Deron Williams?

Where do you guys think Chris Paul will sign? I'm not so sure he will sign with the Clippers. They've got a good thing going now, but he wants to win and I don't think the Clippers have what it takes to do that.

It'll be an interesting off-season, no doubt.

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-06-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
So it looks like Howard won't be traded by the deadline, which creates an interesting off-season scenario. Who will he sign with? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like it's possible for him to sign with the Nets. Houston is interested, but is that a place that he really would want to go? Dallas is aging and probably wouldn't be a contender unless they sign someone else as well. LA can pay him the most money and give him the most years, but he doesn't seem to like the pressure or being pushed by Kobe to be better. I don't get it. I can see how there could be a clash of personalities, but Kobe is literally changing his entire offensive mindset to help him and the team. Do you really want to go to a Nets team with a bunch of aging supporting players and a confrontational Deron Williams?

Where do you guys think Chris Paul will sign? I'm not so sure he will sign with the Clippers. They've got a good thing going now, but he wants to win and I don't think the Clippers have what it takes to do that.

It'll be an interesting off-season, no doubt.
All very good questions. I think Howard could end up self-destructing and his career will be more of a case of "oh what he could've accomplished". One of those guys.... That, or he'll play outta his fucking mind once he's on the right team. The Lakers don't seem to be that team at all, despite Kobe's best efforts.

CP3? I think he should stay with the Clippers. I think they're a more mature Blake Griffin & maybe one of two other key pieces away from being a Championship contender.

An interesting off-season indeed. Anyone think that Miami repeating this year is a foregone conclusion? Or can another team like New York or OKC dethrone them?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
All very good questions. I think Howard could end up self-destructing and his career will be more of a case of "oh what he could've accomplished". One of those guys.... That, or he'll play outta his fucking mind once he's on the right team. The Lakers don't seem to be that team at all, despite Kobe's best efforts.

CP3? I think he should stay with the Clippers. I think they're a more mature Blake Griffin & maybe one of two other key pieces away from being a Championship contender.

An interesting off-season indeed. Anyone think that Miami repeating this year is a foregone conclusion? Or can another team like New York or OKC dethrone them?
As of right now it looks like the Heat will most likely be repeating their success, but you never know. I would love for the Celtics to give them hell in the playoffs, but it's too early to tell if they can even get that far. In any case, I don't think NY or OKC are the teams to beat them, but the Clippers are an interesting team and I wouldn't count them out of anything this year.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I was watching Miami slaughter a fully healthy Clippers team.... I don't know what LA's problem was, really. But watching, they definitely have one of the deepest benches in the league!

So Boston's on another 6 game winning streak since Rondo went down. Whatta bizarre up & down year it's been so far for them!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
I was watching Miami slaughter a fully healthy Clippers team.... I don't know what LA's problem was, really. But watching, they definitely have one of the deepest benches in the league!
They're just not as good as Miami. They may have a deep bench, but they also have a few headcases on that bench, and with guys coming back from injuries and taking their playing time, I don't think it's going to be quite the Shrek and Donkey show it was earlier in the season.

Paul is good enough that they'll get through a few rounds of the playoffs, but their big guys are raw and the bench rotations will be an issue. I think they'll have trouble beating OKC or San Antonio and, if they somehow make it to the finals, they don't have a hope in hell of beating Miami.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Paul is good enough that they'll get through a few rounds of the playoffs, but their big guys are raw and the bench rotations will be an issue. I think they'll have trouble beating OKC or San Antonio and, if they somehow make it to the finals, they don't have a hope in hell of beating Miami.
It doesn't help either that Paul can't walk to the mailbox without getting injured. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets hurt again sometime before or during the postseason. Conversely, LeBron is the most consistently healthy player in the league.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Only team I can see beating Miami is San Antonio. But I don't know if they can get through the Thunder.

Miami would trounce OKC in a Finals rematch.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Miami would trounce OKC in a Finals rematch.
You think it'd just be a repeat of last year? I mean in all likelihood, it's gonna probably end up being a rematch between the two in the Finals anyway. I hope not, because I'd rather see two entirely different teams competing for the Championship.... But being a realist about it, I think it'll either be an OKC/Miami Finals rematch or (god forbid) a possible San Antonio/Miami Finals this year.

If it's the Spurs? I hope the Heat bend those fuckers over and ass-rape them HARD!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
i put this in a spoiler tag so I don't ruin it for jaw, but....
Spoiler:
Boston continues their streak with 6 straight home game wins by defeating the Nuggets in triple OT and snapping their 9 game streak! Man, Boston is on a roll and the loss of Rondo has yet to really effect them.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
i put this in a spoiler tag so I don't ruin it for jaw, but....
Spoiler:
Boston continues their streak with 6 straight home game wins by defeating the Nuggets in triple OT and snapping their 9 game streak! Man, Boston is on a roll and the loss of Rondo has yet to really effect them.
I love it, I believe that was actually the 7th game they've won in a row now, boss. Fantastic! And I appreciate the spoiler tag, lol! You don't haveta use 'em anymore though, I'll just stay out until I've seen the game or know the result & then I'll come in to discuss their current greatness! LoL!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Quote:
You think it'd just be a repeat of last year? I mean in all likelihood, it's gonna probably end up being a rematch between the two in the Finals anyway. I hope not, because I'd rather see two entirely different teams competing for the Championship.... But being a realist about it, I think it'll either be an OKC/Miami Finals rematch or (god forbid) a possible San Antonio/Miami Finals this year.

If it's the Spurs? I hope the Heat bend those fuckers over and ass-rape them HARD!
I think the Spurs can beat OKC this year. The younger guys seem more ready now, and Tony Parker has gotten even better (possibly the most underrated player ever). Spurs/Heat is my prediction.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I really do not care for All-Star weekend. I'm not a fan of exhbition games to begin with.... And then they turn the whole Saturday Night thing into an East vs. West thing with points being awarded? How silly is that shit? WHY? Why not just let each event stand on its own and let whoever wins, win?

The three point shootout isn't as thrilling as it used to be though it was probably the best thing of the whole night, really. Glad Irving won, he's a helluva player and is only gonna be getting better!

Slam Dunk contest isn't what it used to be either... With the exception of maybe 3 or 4 dunks it was a yawn fest. Plus whatever happened to the REAL stars participating? Like the Jordan's and Wilkins'? I mean I'm not taking anything way from guys like Gerald Green (who's first dunk was probably the highlight of the whole thing IMO), but I'd rather see a LeBron James vs. Blake Griffin dunk off anyday!

And what's with all the gimmicks? Stop it already! Remember the days when Vince Carter didn't need to jump over anyone or anything and still throw down some nasty dunks & win?

Anyway, I'm not going to bother watching the All-Star game tonight.... I just don't care. It's not thrilling to me when everyone's constantly traveling (even MORE than they usually do in regular games) and nobody's even TRYING to play defense at all. It's a waste. Looking forward to resuming the regular season and seeing what happens by the trade deadline!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
So the trade deadline is fast approaching. Any deals you guys think will go down or want to go down?

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-19-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
So the trade deadline is fast approaching. Any deals you guys think will go down or want to go down?
Rumour is that Monta Ellis will be traded for Josh Smith.... Milwaukee wins if that trade goes down!

There were rumours of a Rondo for Dwight Howard trade as well.... But Boston wanted a guarantee that Howard would sign on for longer, if they were to pull the trigger on it. Eh.... No thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Rumour is that Monta Ellis will be traded for Josh Smith.... Milwaukee wins if that trade goes down!

There were rumours of a Rondo for Dwight Howard trade as well.... But Boston wanted a guarantee that Howard would sign on for longer, if they were to pull the trigger on it. Eh.... No thanks!
I wouldn't be opposed to trading Rondo at this point, and that's basically a 180 on the perspective I had on him last season. I think this because Rondo's playing style used to be based on unselfish basketball and from what I've seen from him this season, that has changed. He did something I didn't even consider this season, he became the selfish assist guy. Pre-injury, he was more concerned about racking up his assist stats than making the right plays or taking shots himself. The stats looked great on paper, but they didn't help the Celts win games one bit. Add to that the fact that he looked like he had a major chip on his shoulder this season, (starting fights and getting ejected from games) and you have a player in need of a major attitude adjustment.

I really hate to say this, but the Celts have done better w/o Rondo this season than they have with him. Perhaps his torn ACL will give him time to reflect and get his shit together. Also, I said I wouldn't be opposed to a trade, but Howard isn't the player to make a deal for because he's currently the cancer of the 2012-13 Lakers.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I really do not care for All-Star weekend. I'm not a fan of exhbition games to begin with.... And then they turn the whole Saturday Night thing into an East vs. West thing with points being awarded? How silly is that shit? WHY? Why not just let each event stand on its own and let whoever wins, win?

The three point shootout isn't as thrilling as it used to be though it was probably the best thing of the whole night, really. Glad Irving won, he's a helluva player and is only gonna be getting better!

Slam Dunk contest isn't what it used to be either... With the exception of maybe 3 or 4 dunks it was a yawn fest. Plus whatever happened to the REAL stars participating? Like the Jordan's and Wilkins'? I mean I'm not taking anything way from guys like Gerald Green (who's first dunk was probably the highlight of the whole thing IMO), but I'd rather see a LeBron James vs. Blake Griffin dunk off anyday!

And what's with all the gimmicks? Stop it already! Remember the days when Vince Carter didn't need to jump over anyone or anything and still throw down some nasty dunks & win?

Anyway, I'm not going to bother watching the All-Star game tonight.... I just don't care. It's not thrilling to me when everyone's constantly traveling (even MORE than they usually do in regular games) and nobody's even TRYING to play defense at all. It's a waste. Looking forward to resuming the regular season and seeing what happens by the trade deadline!
I love the 4th quarter of the All-Star game, when the best players are on the floor and its personal. The last two years, you can see Kobe going HARD at Lebron (remember last year, when Lebron passed up a shot at the end of the game, and Kobe chided him and said "you gotta shoot that"... it's brilliant).

Dunk contest is lame because no stars are involved. I did like that Terrence Ross won without any props, aside from a Vince Carter jersey. But I think the other guys were just too shook by the spotlight.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
I really hate to say this, but the Celts have done better w/o Rondo this season than they have with him. Perhaps his torn ACL will give him time to reflect and get his shit together.
Nothing to hate saying, because it's actually true boss. Their win/loss records speaks for itself.... They're something like 9-2 since he went down with injury. Rondo's a helluva player for sure, but I don't disagree with any of your points about him needing an attitude adjustment. Plus, it wouldn't hurt me if Boston ended up trading him in the off-season.... If they traded Pierce or KG I'd be pissed. If they traded Rondo, I'd just shrug. (so long as it isn't for Howard, lol!)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Nothing to hate saying, because it's actually true boss. Their win/loss records speaks for itself.... They're something like 9-2 since he went down with injury. Rondo's a helluva player for sure, but I don't disagree with any of your points about him needing an attitude adjustment. Plus, it wouldn't hurt me if Boston ended up trading him in the off-season.... If they traded Pierce or KG I'd be pissed. If they traded Rondo, I'd just shrug. (so long as it isn't for Howard, lol!)
They would have definitely traded KG if he didn't have his no-trade clause. If they could have gotten DeAndre Jordan and Bledsoe it would be a fantastic haul, but I doubt the Clips would have offered that.

They are not a better team without Rondo. Not when it matters. Yes, Rondo doesn't go hard every single night, but he does when it matters. They can't beat Miami in a series with their current lineup. There chances with Rondo would be very small, but they'd exist. As it stands, they don't. I'm glad they didn't move Rondo, but it's kindof a lost year at this point -- and almost definitely KG's last year.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
As it stands, they don't. I'm glad they didn't move Rondo, but it's kindof a lost year at this point -- and almost definitely KG's last year.
We'll see.... As far as it being KG's last year? What do you mean? In the league, or with the Celtics? Because this past off-season he signed a new 3 year deal with Boston.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Another big loss.

Josh Smith is a F'n terrible player. I hate the guy with a passion. Hopefully he leaves during the offseason. I don't care if the team gets nothing in return. I just want to see him leave.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Another big loss.

Josh Smith is a F'n terrible player. I hate the guy with a passion. Hopefully he leaves during the offseason. I don't care if the team gets nothing in return. I just want to see him leave.
I know he's frustrating, but let's evoke It's a Wonderful Life and imagine what Atlanta would be without him. They'd probably be duking it out with Washington in the division standings and running the offense through Jeff Teague. He's a good trade piece and for your sake if Atlanta is going to trade him they'd better get something damn good in return.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM
So all you Lakers fans must be happy they're finally above .500 now. Kobe's second consecutive game with 40+ points and 10+ assists. I think LBJ is a fucking fantastic player, but I refuse to say he's BETTER than Kobe. I just don't believe it. At the very least they're equal in greatness and both can share the title of being the best player in the league, as far as I'm concerned.

I've always hated the Lakers, but I've always loved Kobe. Right player, wrong team. LoL! I think LA will make the Playoffs though, but there's NO WAY IN HELL they're winning the Championship this year.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Quote:
So all you Lakers fans must be happy they're finally above .500 now. Kobe's second consecutive game with 40+ points and 10+ assists. I think LBJ is a fucking fantastic player, but I refuse to say he's BETTER than Kobe. I just don't believe it. At the very least they're equal in greatness and both can share the title of being the best player in the league, as far as I'm concerned.

I've always hated the Lakers, but I've always loved Kobe. Right player, wrong team. LoL! I think LA will make the Playoffs though, but there's NO WAY IN HELL they're winning the Championship this year.
For one game, Kobe can be as great as any one in the league right now, including Lebron.

But the fact is, Lebron is the best player overall by far because of what he can do throughout the season. That streak of 30+ points on 60% shooting was unheard of. His youth allows him to dominate almost effortlessly on a nightly basis.

On Friday, that Lakers/Raptors game was a brilliant performance by Kobe (in spite of a ton of turnovers). And he's still the guy I want with the ball in his hands in a close game, especially since now he has a teammate he actually trusts taking big shots (Nash) so he won't force as much late in games. It's been fun to watch Kobe evolve as a player at this age, and his relationship with Nash is something every young player should study: the bonding stories about them, the film sessions they have, the way they communicate and yell at each other on the court without getting offended... it's incredible to watch. I do think they'll get into the playoffs, but it won't matter unless they get the 6 seed. Even though they haven't beaten the Clippers this year, I think they can bang with them in a 7 game series. Lakers would get crushed by Spurs or Thunder, though.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Another big loss.

Atlanta didn't trade him because the offers they got weren't overwhelming and I think they (foolishly) believe his AAU friendship with Dwight Howard could lure him into coming to Atlanta.

I like Smith as a player, although he should never take threes. He's a solid help defender and moves well without the ball. In a good system, I think he reigns in the mistakes and can make meaningful contributions. I don't see the Hawks keeping him, though, because he's a max contract player.

I know, I know... it's hard to believe someone is going to offer Josh Smith a max contract. But look at the other guys who are max, or near-max, players in the league. The market determines the salary. Josh Smith is a better player than Rudy Gay. He's more proven than Roy Hibbert or Eric Gordon (Smith's max will be more than Hibbert or Gordon because of experience, though). Heck, I think he even brings more to the table than Blake Griffin thanks to his defense. Someone will offer Smith a near-max deal and he'll mmostt likely walk over the summer.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Even though they haven't beaten the Clippers this year, I think they can bang with them in a 7 game series. Lakers would get crushed by Spurs or Thunder, though.
I would actually prefer that they play the Spurs if they get in. I think the Spurs would win, but I don't think the Spurs would crush them. Even when the Lakers were stinking it up early in the season, the Lakers had one very close game against them where the Lakers had control pretty much the whole game, and another where the Spurs had control, but the Lakers were right in it at the end. I think the Lakers could make it a 6 or 7 game series. I think they match up pretty well with the Spurs.

They can beat OKC in LA, as they've already shown this season, but the Lakers simply can't keep up with them in a 7 game series. They could probably take them to 5 or 6 games though, because OKC is wayyy to reliant on the jump shot, and if you go cold at Staples, you're fucked.

While I think a Clippers series would be exciting and it gives the Lakers the benefit of not having to travel, I just think the Clippers are too deep and too quick for the Lakers aging 8 man roster to take them to more than 5 games.

I don't think they get past the first round in any scenario, but I'm just glad they have an opportunity to get in. It's definitely been the roughest season since 2005 and it's nice to see the guys finally settle into their roles. I like how Dwight, even when he isn't having a big offensive night, is always making big plays on the defensive end.

Last edited by Bourne101; 03-11-2013 at 12:55 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
For one game, Kobe can be as great as any one in the league right now, including Lebron.

But the fact is, Lebron is the best player overall by far because of what he can do throughout the season. That streak of 30+ points on 60% shooting was unheard of. His youth allows him to dominate almost effortlessly on a nightly basis.
I loooooooooooove Kobe, but I actually think you're being a little generous. I don't think Kobe has been at Lebron's level this season for any amount of time. To conserve himself Kobe has (wisely) become a bit of a slouch defensively, going for steals and overplaying passing lanes too much. Lebron has been the best defender in the league this year. And stats are a skewed thing in basketball, but Bron's numbers are just insane -- 18, 7 & 7 is an off night for him this year. He is so far above any player in the game right now at getting easy points, which is what matters. I've been his biggest critic in the world, especially in regards to his jumpers, but now that he's knocking them down with regularity, even from 3? Just insane. He's finally earning the "we are all witnesses" statement.

Don't get me wrong, Kobe is still a rung up on the all-time ladder until and unless Bron gets more rings. But in my 20 years of watching the NBA I don't recall a bigger gap between the best player in the league and the next rung of players. Again, to be extra clear: I love Kobe. I think Kobe has been on the level of Durant, Chris Paul, Melo, etc this year. But Bron's just been on a tier none of them have touched this season.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
But in my 20 years of watching the NBA I don't recall a bigger gap between the best player in the league and the next rung of players.
I've been watching for just about the same length of time... However, I DO remember there being a bigger gap between the best player in the league and the next level of players under him. His name was Michael Jordan.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Quote:
I've been watching for just about the same length of time... However, I DO remember there being a bigger gap between the best player in the league and the next level of players under him. His name was Michael Jordan.
I disagree, dude. Be it Magic, Barclay, Malone, etc... I think there was always a player at the same time as MJ that was closer to his greatness than anyone currently is to Lebron's current greatness. Kobe or Duncan a few years ago? Yeah, that'd be different. But right now, the gap is larger in my mind.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Quote:
But in my 20 years of watching the NBA I don't recall a bigger gap between the best player in the league and the next rung of players.
That's an interesting point.

The last truly, overwhelmingly dominant season I can remember was Shaq in 2000. Team won 67 games and he averaged 29.7, 13.6, and 3 blocks on his way to MVP. That was the last time I remember watching a season and thinking, "man, no one can touch this guy."

This year, there are a few guys who can dominate a single game the way Lebron can, but no one comes close to him overall. I think he's having a similar season to Shaq in 2000, and the gap between Lebron/Durant is about the same as the Shaq/Duncan gap was in 2000.

I think I agree with you on MJ. In any given year, there was always someone else who was pretty spectacular. Let's just look at MJ's MVP seasons:

1988 - Larry Bird averaged 30-9-6 while shooting 50-40-90

1991 - Karl Malone put in 29-12. Magic was still cooking at 19 points, 12.5 assists, and 7 boards

1992 - David Robinson put up 23-12 with 6.8 blocks + steals to win Defensive POY.

1996 - probably the biggest MJ gap. Robinson led the league in PER, but at that point no one really took him seriously (Olajuwon became the premiere center beyond any doubt). Throw in the fact that the Bulls won 72 games, and really, no one was close

1998 - height of the Malone vs. Jordan debate (which turned out to not really be a debate, but whatever). Malone was on his level for the regular season at that point, even if MJ was robbed in '97.

Interestingly enough, the best player of the Jordan era other than MJ is probably Olajuwon, and I didn't even mention him. MJ is, by far, better than Lebron, Kobe, or any other perimeter player not named Magic. But there were other HOF players who were pretty spectacular in his time.