Old 02-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Great bits in otherwise bad/mediocre films

I was watching The Matrix Reloaded last night and this isn't a film I particularly enjoy apart from the freeway chase and the staircase fight. Those are some phenomally exciting scene in an otherwise anti-climatic and frankly average movie.

I was never a big fan of True Romance (I know it's widely liked), but I do LOVE the scene between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken.

I enjoyed every scene that Jet Li was in in the third Mummy film, which was otherwise a turd.

What are your guys favourite scenes in otherwise crap films?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM
SMOKIN' ACES

I absolutely hated that movie. Even a star-studded cast couldn't save that steaming pile of a film.

...until the very last scene. The only redeeming part of the movie is at the very end, right before the credits roll.

I'm referring to the song "Dead Reckoning" by Clint Mansell.
That song in that scene alone made it all worthwhile.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Julianne Moore's cameo in The Lady's Man is usually the first thing that comes to mind.

Doom - Not a specific scene, but it was cool when Dwayne Johnson slowly turns into an evil psycho by the end.

Showtime - The car chase was pretty cool.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post

Doom - Not a specific scene, but it was cool when Dwayne Johnson slowly turns into an evil psycho by the end.
I personally thought the "first-person" sequence kicked ass. The rest of the film is really just a lot of dull build-up.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Crossroads(1986) - The guitar duel scene makes a pretty average movie more than worthwhile.

Bachelor Party - The Donkey cocaine scene and Tawny Kitaen's snatch(first beaver I ever saw).

The Hotel New Hampshire - ANY scene with Jodie Foster.

Day Of The Dead(1985) - the last 10 mins
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM
van helsing-black and white opening sequence-the score
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Gollum in The Hobbit comes to mind immediately.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
I personally thought the "first-person" sequence kicked ass. The rest of the film is really just a lot of dull build-up.
I thought that scene was really amazing as well. Though I have the gamer bias. I can understand why the average movie goer would have hated it.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I was never a big fan of True Romance (I know it's widely liked), but I do LOVE the scene between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken.
This, all day long. Couldn't agree more man! Good call & great topic!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
I was disappointed by it because it wasn't done in one continuous shot - there were lots of edits that made it feel like a shooting gallery. Cool concept, but the execution left me wanting more.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM
A few more...

Johnny Depp's cameo, Jack and Jill
The meta opening scene, Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Elephant vs. horse, Alexander
Waking up in a tub of ice, Urban Legends: Final Cut
You. Should. Have. Bought. A. Hamster!, Rat Race
"We loooove premarital sex!", Jason X
Double lightsaber battle, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Cameron Diaz's breakdown, My Sister's Keeper
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM
^Good call on Phantom Menace.

Also the beautiful opening of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm surprised When A Stranger Calls hasn't been mentioned yet. I don't think I need to mention which scene.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Definitely good call on Phantom Menace, I wanetd Darth Maul to win, that's for sure!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Matrix Revolutions-city battle and final fight
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Running Scared had a couple of awesome parts in it.

The first involves the scene where the kid is trapped at the pedophile couples' apartment.

Second, is the showdown between the Russian gangsters and Paul Walker at the hockey ring.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
I thought Running Scared was a pretty good movie, all up.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
The beginning of John Carpenter's Village Of The Damned was quite good.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I'm surprised When A Stranger Calls hasn't been mentioned yet. I don't think I need to mention which scene.
That's the first thing that came to mind. It's a scene that has totally eclipsed the entire rest of the movie it's in. I mean, it's not even really a horror movie after the opening sequence. It's kind of just a lame 70's crime movie after that. The fact that most people don't even acknowledge this speaks volumes of how much better the opening scene is than the movie that follows it.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 PM
It's probably the biggest reason I enjoy Hudson Hawk - which is a guilty pleasure of mine, though I understand most everybody thinks it's a big pile of crap. The scenes where Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello are singing songs to time out what they need to get done.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
I thought Running Scared was a pretty good movie, all up.
Yeah I enjoyed it as well but I'm just going by Rottentomatoes approval ratings (its only at 40%)
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Jonah Hex was pretty terrible and while I wouldn't say it was a GREAT scene, the cameo with Jeffrey Dean Morgan was a surprisingly good scene
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
The Pterosaur scene in Jurassic Park 3. Hate the film, love that scene.
The forest battle in Transformers 2. The only good thing in that whole flick.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
The plane crash in Flight comes to mind.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever - I can't remember specifically as it's been so long since I saw the movie, but I recall this movie having some really awesome stunts, including an extended car chase/shoot out resulting in two cars flipping out at the same time over Antonio Banderas.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I liked Mia Kirshner's small part and there is a certain death sequence I think is fantastic in de Palma's adaptation of The Black Dahlia. Actually, he directed the shit out of that movie, it's got some classic de Palma shots in it, it's just unfortunate that the script was such an epic fail (coming from a fan of the book). Also de Palma took it far too over-the-top with the campy elements in the second half and the cast ended up being pretty weak.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I liked Mia Kirshner's small part and there is a certain death sequence I think is fantastic in de Palma's adaptation of The Black Dahlia. Actually, he directed the shit out of that movie, it's got some classic de Palma shots in it, it's just unfortunate that the script was such an epic fail (coming from a fan of the book). Also de Palma took it far too over-the-top with the campy elements in the second half and the cast ended up being pretty weak.
I actually agree on the Mia Kirschner section and think those were amazing scenes. The rest of the film was terrible though