Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (July 18th, 2014)

With Matt Reeves directing and Andy Serkis returning this already has a good start. And now that the casting heating up with Jason Clarke and Kodi Smit-McPhee being recently added it seems like it is shaping up nicely so far. I am a little worried that Rupert Wyatt left, even though Matt Reeves is a good director, and that there has been script rewrites but I hope this will be good because I though Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by ThunderStorm; 07-18-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 AM
I would like to see the trailer to this l did see the rise of the planet of the apes and wonder how the go with making another it is nice that the actors who starred in the previous one are coming back together but for them to do a good job they have to come up with a good script
Old 02-23-2013, 05:27 AM
I was absolutely surprised by Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I thought it was going to be this terrible cluster of bad storytelling and acting, but boy, was I wrong. I look forward to its sequel even more because I personally think Reeves is a very underrated director and I look forward to the darker spin he'll most likely put on this franchise.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Apparently it takes place 15 years after the events of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I hope we see at least through flashbacks the falling apart of humanity and the take over of the apes.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm friggin pumped for this!! Could be one damn awesome, epic sequel.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
I'm friggin pumped for this!! Could be one damn awesome, epic sequel.
agreed. I was shocked at how good the cgi was in Rise of the Apes. Probably some of the best I've ever seen.

Can't wait for the sequel.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Gary motherfucking Oldman joins the cast!!!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/gary...et-of-the-apes
Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
Gary motherfucking Oldman joins the cast!!!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/gary...et-of-the-apes
Oh shit!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
That gif is awesome haha.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhh shit is right!!!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 AM
Keri Russell has joined as the lead female role. This cast is getting interesting that is for sure.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/keri...et-of-the-apes
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
So....I'm assuming Franco's character bites the dust before this entry begins?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
So....I'm assuming Franco's character bites the dust before this entry begins?
That's what I am guessing. I don't think it is a huge deal as long as we have some line or something about his fate.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Quote:
That's what I am guessing. I don't think it is a huge deal as long as we have some line or something about his fate.
Yeah I'd imagine we see Caesar's remorse in some scenes
Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Judy Greer has been cast as the lead female ape role she is playing Cornelia.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/judy...et-of-the-apes
Old 05-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Caeser on a horse, also a first looks at Jason Clarke. Apparently production just started this week I believe.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Apes on horses!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Michael Giacchino is set to score.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=104286
Old 05-15-2013, 05:15 PM
I really enjoyed Rise of the Apes but I didnt care too much for Franco's character. I couldnt believe that the stoner Franco could be a brilliant scientist so I hope his character doesnt appear in the sequel.

Really looking forward to this!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I really enjoyed Rise of the Apes but I didnt care too much for Franco's character. I couldnt believe that the stoner Franco could be a brilliant scientist so I hope his character doesnt appear in the sequel.

Really looking forward to this!
I don't think he is which is great in my opinion, I didn't care for his character at all as well haha.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Some set photos, what is the Human Nation?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=80280
Old 05-26-2013, 04:20 PM

damn thats pretty cool

And thanks for the updates Thunderstorm. I think this will be another great sequel.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Quote:
damn thats pretty cool

And thanks for the updates Thunderstorm. I think this will be another great sequel.
No problem man, and I think this movie is gonna kick all kinds of ass.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 AM
Is now opening July 18, 2014 instead of May 23, 2014. This and X-Men: Days of Future Past got switched.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=81947

Last edited by ThunderStorm; 06-21-2013 at 02:57 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Awesome interview with Matt Reeves.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...ostHeaderPanel
Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to Reeves likely darker take on the sequel. I love the photo you posted, Thunderstorm.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
I'm definitely looking forward to Reeves likely darker take on the sequel. I love the photo you posted, Thunderstorm.
Yeah I thought that photo was pretty awesome too. And I agree about looking forward to Reeves directing and a darker tone.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 AM
An Ape on a horse with a gun? Fuck yeah.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
An Ape on a horse with a gun? Fuck yeah.
FUCK YES! It doesn't get much cooler than that! I'm so there.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Watch out for the Simian Flu.

http://www.simianflu.com/us/#!/the-simian-flu-and-you
Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Description of footage from SDCC.

Spoiler:
We see the ruins of humanity. It's eight years later. Four years spent fighting the virus and four years spent "fighting each other". Clarke's character, dressed almost in a Dark Tower Gunfighter-style costume steps through the Redwood Forest. He shouts out that he wants to speak with Caesar. We pull back from Caesar. He looks much older with grey hairs. Behind him is an army of apes. Cut to the title and that's it for Apes.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Caesar looks like a badass.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Cant wait for this one!!! Looking badass!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Apparently this is the teaser poster it is pretty sweet in my opinion.

I read somewhere this is fake, it is still pretty cool though.

Last edited by ThunderStorm; 11-02-2013 at 09:27 PM..
Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I've never really liked the Planet of the Apes franchise, so take this with a grain of salt if you wish, but I really didn't care for Rise of the Apes. While some people criticize Gravity for being a simple survival story we've seen before, I criticize Rise of the Apes for the same thing in application to the sci-fi genre. We've seen that story in science fiction a million times before and all the typical trappings and cliches are in place in the film, (the scientist that pushes his work too far, the calamity that results from the arrogance of the scientist, the idiotic bully that provokes a creature or protagonist etc). I'll never get why everyone went so gaga over that film, despite the decent CGI.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I think a lot of folks liked Rise of the Apes because of Andy Serkis' performance. Just brilliant and perhaps should have gotten an Oscar nom. Really the only thing I didn't like was the casting of James Franco. Totally miscast there. Other than that it was a spectacle to watch the rise of Cesar and his ape buddies and how they took over the city.

Also the ending credits were well done too.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 11-07-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Wait, is this actually coming out next year?

Not that I personally care, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of the most overrated Blockbusters in the last five years. Just surprised I haven't heard much about it.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Quote:
I think a lot of folks liked Rise of the Apes because of Andy Serkis' performance. Just brilliant and perhaps should have gotten an Oscar nom. Really the only thing I didn't like was the casting of James Franco. Totally miscast there. Other than that it was a spectacle to watch the rise of Cesar and his ape buddies and how they took over the city.

Also the ending credits were well done too.
Concerning Serkis' possible oscar nom, I'm not sure how you would go about it. When you think about it, you'd have to divide the award between Serkis and the computer effects team because the performance isn't entirely his. That's my attitude towards mo-cap performances in general. It's different if you've got a guy like Ledger in makeup, where you can see all his little mannerisms and expressions through the costume. With CGI, the effects are often enhanced to the point where your not just showing an actor's performance, you're actually enhancing the performance itself. I don't think Andy Serkis' voice is used in the final cut and many of his expressions or gestures are enhanced to the point that he is pretty much rendered a skeleton or blueprint for the final image. I'm not trying to say he isn't talented, I just don't see how you could say that he really owned that performance outright. Makeup and costumes are nothing more than well designed skins without a talented actor inside them, but with CGI it's a different story.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Oh no doubt. It was a team effort. I'm probably reaching here on his Oscar consideration haha. but I just really liked his motion cap performance.

Flaws aside, I just thought the film was badass from start to finish and I cant wait for the trailer for the sequel.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Oh no doubt. It was a team effort. I'm probably reaching here on his Oscar consideration haha. but I just really liked his motion cap performance.

Flaws aside, I just thought the film was badass from start to finish and I cant wait for the trailer for the sequel.
I'll give the next film a crack despite my feelings about the first one. Dawn is dealing with the more interesting part of the story anyhow.