Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Do You Like "Skinhead" Movies?

This topic was prompted by my first viewing of a movie called "This Is England." I wrote a very short summary of it in the What Are You Watching thread. What movies that feature skinheads, do you like, if any? I only know of Romper Stomper, American History X, and, This Is England. And I like all three of them. Especially Ed Norton's film. That kerb scene never fails to get to me. OUCH!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
This is England is pretty amazing.

I've always been mixed with American Histroy X. I love its ambition and its heart, but it is pretty fucking preachy.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
This is England is pretty amazing.

I've always been mixed with American Histroy X. I love its ambition and its heart, but it is pretty fucking preachy.
Yea, TIE was amazing. I also never forget Norton's big speech to his family. But I do agree with your comments on it. It's still veyr powerful entertainment.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 PM
American History X is the only one of this very miniscule subgenre that I've seen and I liked it, though it is too overdone.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 PM

American History X is one of my all time favorite movies. Absolutely brilliant in my opinion. One of the best 'skinhead' movies around, although I've been wanting to watch This is England.

It's probably only me, but in American History X... the scene with Beverly D'Angelo as she walks away from the camera in slow motion, as the camera hangs back was breath taking. There's something about that scene that gets to me for some reason.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 PM
romper stomper is great.i liked how the main character hando,unlike american history x didn`t learn a lesson or change his ways.

The Believer starring ryan gosling is pretty good.loved the ending "theres nothing up there danny." or something like that.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 AM

is the one I enjoyed.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 AM

American History X is an undisputed masterpiece, no doubt. It IS preachy, but Norton's acting (and most everyone else's), is so incredible that any heavy-handed message is forgivable...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorrick brown View Post
romper stomper is great.i liked how the main character hando,unlike american history x didn`t learn a lesson or change his ways.

The Believer starring ryan gosling is pretty good.loved the ending "theres nothing up there danny." or something like that.
Totally agree. Romper Stomper is fucking hardcore. Its an ugly ugly film but so good. It leaves an awful taste in your mouth that there are people out there like that.
One of Russell Crowes greatest performances.

Also American History X is just fantastic.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 AM
The only skinhead films I have seen are American History X and Romper Stomper.

I am not at all ashamed to admit that I like both of them.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Only seen American History X - love it.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM
American History X and Romper Stomper were both good, This is England was a shitfest though.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:05 PM
American History X is a masterpiece, as is This is England. I haven't seen Romper Stomper but it is now first on my list of films to see since I realized you guys all loved it. I'll also check out The Believer.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
American History X is no doubt a great freakin' movie.

Higher Learning features some skinheads, but is not predominantly about them. I thought it was a pretty good movie nonetheless, though it's been a while since I've seen it.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Romper Stomper - 4/10
American History X - 9/10
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
American History X is a great movie that deals with that touchy subject.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Romper Stomper, from what I saw, was just plain awful. American History X is completely carried by Furlong's and Norton's peformances, same can be said about The Believer but with Ryan Goesling, and This Is England was a great movie, because of it's subtlety in its message.

I can watch skinhead movies only if they are good.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman69 View Post
Romper Stomper, from what I saw, was just plain awful.
Good, we agree.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
American History X is no doubt a great freakin' movie.

Higher Learning features some skinheads, but is not predominantly about them. I thought it was a pretty good movie nonetheless, though it's been a while since I've seen it.
Higher Learning was a great film, Michael Rapaport was amazing in that movie. But yeah other than that the only skinhead movie I've seen is American History X. One of my favorite movies I must say, Edward Norton kicked ass.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 AM
i havent seen Romper Stomper before, but after reading this thread im inclined to check it out. i very much enjoyed American History X, it gave good insight to what "skinheads" actually go through and believe. i have been wanting to see This is England ever since i heard about a couple months ago, i just havent gotten around to it. i think its safe to say that American History X is a very powerful, moving, and emotional movie and i feel it everytime i watch it.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorrick brown View Post
Thank you for that. I just really needed to see that!

Kidding.

Still that was just a horrible scene.

Although, and this is completely off topic so I'm sorry, but The Sopranos actually had an even worse scene like that. Because when Tony Soprano did that to another guy it actually showed the guy's teeth coming off and stuff. It was totally gross. Made me cringe.

Never seen The Sopranos but I saw that clip and it was just horrible. Turned me off from seeing the show although I do plan on still checking it out (I saw like half of the pilot).

Back on topic:

American History X was excellent. Great Ed Norton performance.

Haven't seen the other movies everyone has mentioned though I do plan on checking them out.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Actually, American History X was the very first movie I saw with Ed Norton in it. So I was off to a great start with this actor. And I've admired his work ever since then. Can't wait for The Incredible Hulk!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Love all three mentioned by OP.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:37 PM
American History X = Perfection. I didn't find it preachy since the message is so important and I felt like I was watching the Norton character figure out his misbeliefs in the worst way possible, not like I was being taught a lesson. Great story, great acting, great message.

Which brings me to Higher Learning. Ugh. Where do I start.

1. Ice Cube and Busta Rhymes are not moral compasses. To cast them as such is laughable at best, irresponsible at worst.
2. Why were the campus police so interested in keeping the weakling skinhead alive? Is it supposed to be part of the conspiracy- you know, "he's too important to the cause"? I didn't get that part of the movie.
3. Tyra Banks looks outstanding, but she can't act- Another casting misstep.
4. Neither can her movie boyfriend, I don't know his name. But as he ran thru the halls trying to get to the skinhead sniper (up in the belltower, how cliche) he looked like he was trying to convey anger, it was horrible acting.
5. Finally, "white people" parties are just as enjoyable as "black people" parties. I find "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns-N-Roses to be just as good as the bass heavy rap song they used to "show" how rap is better than rock.

Anyway, I've spent too much time on such a rediculous movie. I'm out.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 AM
The only skin head movie have watched is Romper Stomper you have to have a tough stomach for that film
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
This Is Englad was fucking awesome. American History X is definitely a masterpiece. I've been wanting to see Romper Stomper and Made in Britain with Tim Roth too.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 AM
And there's also two season's (?) series of This Is England. '86 and '88. First has 3 episodes and second has 2 episodes. It's like a sequel to the movie. Pretty cool.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:40 PM
nope, but here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8pvaJ4rPvw
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 PM
I was having a look at that clip and l have to say it looks pretty good
I might see if l can rent this movie out and watch it
It looks volient but it looks as though it has a pretty good story line from waht l can see of it

I like things that are quite scary
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I saw American History X in an English class in college and I enjoyed it.