Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM
BEST ACTRESS goes to..... Jennifer Lawrence
BEST ACTOR goes to...... Daniel Day-Lewis

BEST PICTURE IS........................

ARGO

Last edited by Ruly2; 02-24-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 11:03 PM
So glad the political machine could invade the one thing I had left so god damn blatantly...
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM
The moment Michelle O showed up, Argo was a lock. And this hosting bitch sucks.

/rant.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Knowing how tough dementia can be, I can imagine Amour being a tough film to sit through. But I definitely intend to see it sometime soon.

Naomi Watts should have won best actress though. I've said it before and I'll say it again. She was incredible. It was such a tough and demanding role. Both physically and emotionally.

Go DDL! THE performance of the year! Period.

Best speech of the night goes to Ben Affleck. Loved his speech!

Overall it was a good show. Not perfect by any means, but I had a good time and most of the winners were great.

2012 was a great year for movies!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
The moment Michelle O showed up, Argo was a lock. And this hosting bitch sucks.

/rant.

I thought for a moment it meant Lincoln would win.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Don't want to make fun of Jennifer Lawrence's faux pas on the steps but that was just karma. Schadenfreude, I know.

Argo joins The Artist and The King's Speech as perfectly decent movies that no one will remember in 10-20 years.

Waltz and Tarantino winning were the only genuine surprises for me all night.

Zero Dark Thirty, by far the best of the nominees, has to settle for a sound award. Better than nothing?

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 02-24-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Sound editing being a tie has made me confused as to whether I should I count it as me getting it correct or incorrect since I guessed one of them right, Zero Dark Thirty, but I could also count it as wrong since I didn't think there would be a tie with something else.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Phoenix got robbed.

Lewis now holds the record for most best actor wins.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM
I was unsure of how to interpret Jennifer Lawrence's onstage birthday wish to Emmanuelle Riva. I'm sure she meant well by it, but it still kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I'm probably just being a dick though.

All in all, the only reason I didn't do better with my predictions is because I actually decided to take a chance on Amour by predicting it for Actress and Original Screenplay. I guess that really was just wishful thinking all along.

I should have seen Brave coming, and in fact, I almost predicted it, but I thought, "No, the Academy won't give it to a lesser Pixar effort when there's actual, good competition this year." My mistake.

I should have also seen the writing on the wall for Christoph Waltz.

No real surprises, other than the tie for Sound Editing. I don't think anyone ever sees a tie coming.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Q. How do you give a speech so arrogant and self-centered it comes across as obnoxious for Hollywood
A. See: Tarantino
Wait, what? He said that actors make his screenplays look as good as they do and said that it was a great year for writing. Maybe I need to listen to it again, but I didn't find it arrogant or self-centered.

Anyway, I thought it was a great list of winners. Waltz and Tarantino winning made my night. I thought Hoffman was the best supporting actor of the year, but Waltz was also incredible in Django. Another favorite win of mine was Ang Lee. Not only is what he pulled off an incredible achievement, but does he not look like the nicest goddamn person on the planet? He seemed even happier seeing some of his crew win than when he won himself.

As for the show, it was certainly better than the last three years (best since Jackman). There were some dull spots and MacFarlane never seemed as in control as I expected him to be, but there were some great moments and while the show dragged a bit, I thought it was more because of the production itself (the Chicago/Dreamgirls shit was unnecessary) than MacFarlane.

Best speech was Day-Lewis for sure. His joke about Streep was hilarious.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Best speech was Day-Lewis for sure.
Agreed. His was the only speech this year I thought was memorable at all. Despite my preference for Emmanuelle Riva, I was almost hoping that Quvenzhane Wallis would win Best Actress by the end of the night just so we could get a memorable speech.

I also agree with you that the Chicago/Dreamgirls numbers were unnecessary. If you're going to celebrate music in movies as the theme of the show, fine, but why stick to musicals from the past 10 years? That seems kind of dumb. And although I'm glad I didn't have to sit through all of the Best Original Song nominees performed live, it was still kind of unfair that they only actually performed one of them in full, then another two in part, and then two of them not at all.

I'd give the show about a C. There was nothing memorable about it, but it wasn't totally embarrassing like the Hathaway/Franco ceremony.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
I loved the Chicago/Dreamgirls/Les Miz performances.

If any of the performances were unnecessary it was the final performance. Amusing but pointless.

Even though it was part of the James Bond tribute, I could have done without the Goldfinger performance.

And Seth McFarlane's opener really did go on too long. The dancing performances by the likes of Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Daniel Radcliffe were boring.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 PM
I think Ben's speech was the best. Followed by QT. And then DDL.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I loved the Chicago/Dreamgirls/Les Miz performances.
I didn't think they were bad performances (the Chicago lip sync was lame, but the Les Mis one was fairly impressive), but it just seemed to go on forever.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 PM
I thought this year was a great show. Macfarlane did a great job as host and the amount of entertainment this show had was a notch above other years.

The winners all were great, I can not complain about any winner, even though I had my bets on other winners for certain categories, the fact that every category had 5 (or 9) great nominees meant there were no upsets and deserving winners all around.

I saw briefly on the last page that someone thought Tarantino's speech was arrogant?! Please expand on that! His entire speech was about how casting great actors is the reason he wins the awards because they escalate what he wrote to the greatness that they become! And then his parting sentiment was how this year in particular had 10 great nominees and this was a great year for writing!

I dont get all the hate for Jennifer Lawrence... she is my number 1 hollywood hotty! I love her, her personality is very pure and funny and I was glad she won.

And of course seeing Ben Affleck get his 2nd Oscar was the cherry, super happy for him! Seems like a genuine dude, but being a fan of Kevin SMith means you have never left Affleck's side, cuz he was the bomb in phantoms yo!

all in all... a great show this year!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 AM
I will give the production major credit on one thing though... when Ang Lee was announced as the winner of best director, they simultaneously showed the reactions of the other four nominees and Russell's reaction box was replaced with Emmanuelle Riva's reaction. I love O. Russell and had no problem with the BAFTA thing, but that was hilarious.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 AM
I haven't watched the Oscars for several years now. I just don't care to watch them, but congratulations to all the winners anyway.

Waltz became a member of some exclusive clubs tonight.

He became only the second actor to win an Oscar without a SAG nomimation. The other was Marcia Gay Harden.

He's also become one of only a few actors to win two Oscars for films by the same director. Dianne Wiest did it with Woody Allen, Jack Nicholson did it with James L. Brooks, and I think Walter Brennan did it with William Wyler. There could be more, but those are the ones I can remember.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 AM
i am not sure of the facts here, but can someone enlighten me:

Has any other actor been one of the main stars in the best picture winning movie in back to back years the way John Goodman now is (for The Artist & Argo)??

i like the little trivia bits like that! like when John C Reilly became the only actor to ever be in 3 of the 5 best picture nominees in 1 year (Chicago, Gangs of New York & The Hours)

Posted from Joblo.com App for Android
Old 02-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post

Has any other actor been one of the main stars in the best picture winning movie in back to back years the way John Goodman now is (for The Artist & Argo)??

i like the little trivia bits like that! like when John C Reilly became the only actor to ever be in 3 of the 5 best picture nominees in 1 year (Chicago, Gangs of New York & The Hours)
Meryl Streep was in The Deer Hunter and Kramer Vs. Kramer. They were supporting roles, but she got nominated for both and won for the latter. I can't think of anybody else right now.

I like the trivia stuff too. One I love is how William Hurt was in four back to back Best Picture nominees in the 80's. They were Kiss Of The Spider Woman, Children Of A Lesser God, Broadcast News, and The Accidental Tourist. If you include The Big Chill, he was in 5 Best Picture nominees in one decade. That's impressive.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Tired and kinda drunk...some childish ranting may ensue..

For such an "unpredictable" year, it's the closest I ever got to getting every single category right! 22/24! And I didn't even enter JoBlo's contest thing, man...Murphy's Law..

Anyways, quick thoughts:

- THE GOOD -

- Ang Lee winning. Agree with Bourne, he looks like the nicest person ever and it was awesome seeing him win. Makes me really want to meet him in person because he just seems grateful to be alive, let alone be winning awards. What a guy. PLUS, he totally deserves an Oscar for what he pulled off with Life of Pi. Loved that film.

- A first ever tie! I know it was just a sound category but it was awesome to witness that: both Zero Dark Thirty and Skyfall deserved that Oscar for Sound Editing and I'm glad Zero Dark didn't go home completely empty handed.

-Waltz winning for Django. Waltz's win was one of the two I missed out on (I predicted DeNiro) but it's pretty amazing to think that the guy was a struggling nobody before he met Tarantino and now he's got TWO freaking Oscars. Granted, Hoffman did deserve it more than anyone but if you think about it - none of those actors, including Hoffman, got out of their comfort zones to portray their characters so it's not like Waltz was undeserving. Dr. King Shultz is just as good a character as Hans Landa in my opinion and I was happy for him.

-Argo winning Best Picture. Not my first choice, not my second choice, not even my third. But Argo is a great movie, and when I first saw it never in a million years did I think it would be seriously considered an Oscar movie. And yet, here it is, Best Picture winner. Can't wait to see it again, really happy it won - moreso for Ben Affleck whose speech was very endearing.

-Daniel Day-Lewis's speech. I mean, shit. I wanted Phoenix to win, I think Phoenix even deserved it slightly more even though a tie in this category would of been so awesome, but leave it to DDL to compress all the class in the room and make you understand why he's so deserving of being the first in history to win three Best Actor Oscars. His speech was funny, graceful, touching and the most memorable of all speeches of the night. What a guy.

-Life of Pi deservedly winning in Visual Effects and Score (seeing as how the best scores weren't even nominated)

-Lincoln winning Production Design. As it should of.

-THE BAD-

-I won't say Seth MacFarlane was "bad" but he wasn't as good as I thought he'd be. The Flight sock-puppet thing was easily the funniest bit of the night, but the random William Shatner bit, the songs (apart from the boobs one which was pretty good) and just his introductions to the presenters....definitely fell below expectations for me.

-Chris Terrio winning over Tony Kushner's Lincoln. Terrio's speech was one of the best even though he looked fucking high on coke as fuck. What bugs me is that Argo's script was excellent but it wasn't award worthy compared to Kushner's poetic dialogue in Lincoln.

-Tarantino winning over Mark Boal's Zero Dark Thirty. I loved Django Unchained, it's No.10 in my Festival/Theater Top 10, but the true winner of original story should have been Mark Boal's seminal work with Zero Dark Thirty. From beginning to end, ZD30 was razor sharp with its dialogue and action. Django mucks it up with the last 20 minutes or so and for this messiness alone it didn't deserve a win. But QT's speech was fine, yeah he went on a bit about how awesome his characters are but then shifted it to his love of the actors. Plus he gets respect for giving a shout out to the competition. (So high on coke though)

-The musical numbers - Chicago, Dreamgirls, the Les Miserables people all singing over each other all different songs - enough already. This obsession that showbusiness has with musicals and musical numbers hit the apex of annoyance in this show. Even the In Memoriam segment had to be rounded off by a sad song. Give me a break.

-THE UGLY-

-Jennifer Lawrence winning over Emmanuelle Riva. Chastain wasn't winning, that was obvious, even though she's the one who deserved it more than of them. So my focus and hope shifted to Riva. My second blunder. I was a fool to think that the Academy would actually do the honorable, justifiable and generous thing by awarding first-time nominee & screen legend Emmanuelle Riva on her 86th birthday. Then Lawrence falling because of that stupid wedding dress she had on kinda made up for it but then she had the balls to say "Happy birthday Emmanuelle!!" like they're BFFs or something? This Oscar race and how she's handled it has really smeared her reputation in my eyes, she seems like a nice enough person and she's funny when she wants to be, doesn't hurt that she's cute as a button neither, but the immaturity and self-obsessed arrogance she's shown through-out this campaign has made me kinda hate her a bit.

Overall? Not bad, not bad at all. It was a great year in film and I'm very happy for Life of Pi, Christoph Waltz, Daniel Day Lewis, Amour (Foreign Film is a big deal) and Argo for their wins.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post

There have been several instances of this. The most recent one I can think of is Russell Crowe starring in Gladiator (2000) and A Beautiful Mind (2001).
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 AM
DMM, I know you're not a fan of SLP or Lawrence's performance, but I think her reputation is just fine.

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-25-2013 at 01:59 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 AM
From the fake Michael Haneke Twitter:

"congrats 2 those wot won oscars. i c u in the parms dorz winners only lounj. looks prety empty from hear lol"
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 AM
The best moment of the show was Harvey Weinstein running to the bathroom to take a dump.

Second best was trying to figure out what happened to Kristen Stewart backstage before she presented. Hair messed up, a limp, a (sex) bruise on her arm...

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 02-25-2013 at 02:11 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 AM
Sometimes I don't understand people.

I know some people don't like Jennifer Lawrence, but for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone can say that Lawrence came off as arrogant, self centered and immature. It boggles my mind that somebody would think that from her speech. I mean, it's not the greatest speech in the world. And I can understand being tired of seeing her win everything. Although that's not HER fault. It's the awards people's fault.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Second best was trying to figure out what happened to Kristen Stewart backstage before she presented. Hair messed up, a limp, a (sex) bruise on her arm...
Her looks aside, she was probably in some pain since she was on the red carpet with crutches. That's why she was limping.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 AM
I don't waste my time with the red carpet jazz, I didn't know she had crutches. I just assumed it happened seconds before stepping out.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Apparently she cut her foot pretty bad with glass. Ouch. I actually have a lot of respect for her for coming out despite this accident. No one would have blamed her for canceling at the last minute. But she didn't. Good for her.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Sometimes I don't understand people.

I know some people don't like Jennifer Lawrence, but for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone can say that Lawrence came off as arrogant, self centered and immature. It boggles my mind that somebody would think that from her speech. I mean, it's not the greatest speech in the world. And I can understand being tired of seeing her win everything. Although that's not HER fault. It's the awards people's fault.
Quote:

DMM, I know you're not a fan of SLP or Lawrence's performance, but I think her reputation is just fine.
I was just upset last night. If you didn't notice my little blurb at the top, also a little drunk and nonsensical....so that's why you "couldn't understand people" ilovemovies.

Lawrence won for an inferior performance to the ones she was up against and she won mostly because of Weinstein and because she's the "it" girl now, Hollywood princess, darling whatever you wanna call it. It's typical awards farce and since I take all this stuff with a grain of salt anyway, it doesn't really bother me that much. I'm sure her reputation is fine but I can still see an obnoxious and slightly immature attitude ("Happy birthday Emmanulle!!" - seriously? Bad taste) which will hopefully improve as she grows up a bit. She's still a kid.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM
I still don't see how wishing Riva a happy birthday is immature. What you see as immature I see is sweet and nice. I personally hope that part of her never changes.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
A few surprises here and there and a pretty 'ok' ceremony. But there is nothing sweeter than winning your Oscar pool with everybody in the room... especially when one or two people are in the early lead and bragging about it, only to fall behind and eat my dust! Never count on beating a Schmoe!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Another year, another Oscar ceremony. Even though I always watch these, they tend to feel less relevant year after year.

I managed to see five of the nine Best Picture nominees before the ceremony, which is a first for me. My personal picks were either Argo or Zero Dark Thirty (pleasantly surprised by how good this film was, when I was just expecting a piece of propaganda), so I'm happy Affleck got it. FINALLY the Gigli and Bennifer jokes can stop; the man has proved himself.

Some random thoughts:

- Seth McFarlane was a good host, getting off some pretty good jokes ("Cocaine trees as far as the eye could see"). Like Family Guy, it was all completely random, but it worked. Proof that the Oscars don't have to be so damn highbrow all the time.

- One exception to this: William Shatner. Am I the only that finds nothing special about this man? He's a horrible actor IMO and not funny at all.

- Ang Lee seems like the nicest, most humble man in the world.

- I'm a massive QT fan (even if he comes off as an egomaniac at times), so I'm happy he won the Screenplay award. Django is not BP material, but the writing is ace.

- No disrespect to Shirley Bassey, but the Bond tribute was LAME. A song and a montage, that's it? Having all the Bonds onstage would have been epic - but Sean Connery probably said No since he's enjoying retirement too much, and that killed the idea.

- Using the Jaws theme to cut people off was cute at first, but disrespectful after a while.

- Michelle Obama presenting Best Picture felt out-of-place. The minute they announced her I thought for sure Lincoln was going to win (The White House gives an award to one of its most famous tenants - it just seemed so obvious). Thankfully it didn't happen.

- They still can't find a way to cut down the length of these shows. Here's an idea: stop with all the musical numbers!

- Christopher Plummer, Daniel Day-Lewis, Ang Lee: total class.

- Did anyone else find it odd that Meryl didn't even open the envelope before announcing Day-Lewis? Nothing wrong with the win itself, but it just seemed really strange

- Haven't seen Brave, but judging from the so-so reviews and everyone calling it Pixar's worst, I was expecting Ralph or Frankenweenie to take it home. And then the director goes up on stage wearing a kilt: Tool.

- Once again, the In Memoriam segment leaves people out, among them Larry Hagman and David R. Ellis. I miss Tony Scott.

Last edited by EZM22; 02-25-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Watch the great acceptance speeches from last night- Daniel Day-Lewis, Jennifer Lawrence, Ang Lee, Quentin Tarantino and more - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2Fu
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Jimmy Kimmel debuts Movie the Movie: 2V last night - watch hilarious trailer - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2Fo
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Shatner is awesome! Not only is he Captain Kirk but he's also Denny Crane!

Seriously, while his acting was iffy at times on Star Trek, I thought he was pretty phenomenal in Boston Legal. Not just doing the comedy but also the few dramatic bits he had to do from time to time.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Quote:
I still don't see how wishing Riva a happy birthday is immature. What you see as immature I see is sweet and nice. I personally hope that part of her never changes.
It will. Sweet and nice would be if she followed it up with a few nice words about her seeing as she was her biggest competition. So yeah, that attitude will change.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Wondering why Tarantino had no wife or kids to thank
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post
There have been several instances of this. The most recent one I can think of is Russell Crowe starring in Gladiator (2000) and A Beautiful Mind (2001).
Forgot about Crowe. I always forget Gladiator won Best Picture that year.

Still can't think of anybody else though other than Meryl Streep who have done this.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm still trying to process the Ed Harris stool joke. Clint Eastwood reference? It's like the duck in Ted being called James Franco.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM
what's up with that newspaper calling Quvenzhane Wallis a 'cunt'. I think it just illustrates why American journalism has no integrity