Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
what's up with that newspaper calling Quvenzhane Wallis a 'cunt'. I think it just illustrates why American journalism has no integrity
It was the Onion. If you don't know who they are, look them up.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
they should let us know that they fired the person who said it. they just said the person was 'punished accordingly' but as you know that could mean different things to different people
Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 PM
-It was nice seeing Life of Pi get the attention it so deserves.

-Lawrence winning best actress was a very "wtf" moment for me.

-Argo winning best picture, but Affleck not even nominated for best actor?

-Brave winning best animated film when Wreck-it-Ralph was vastly superior.

-Seth McFarlane being called a bad host? James Franco and Anne Hathaway were bad host, at least McFarlane wasn't afraid of who he insulted.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post

Unless you mean Affleck not being nominated for Best Director, I don't think anyone should be surprised. It was a good performance but considering the amount of high quality performances that did get nominated, his didn't really deserve the nomination. But for director? He did get snubbed but the fact that he got snubbed is probably what propelled the film to winning Best Picture. If it was nominated, another movie would've probably swept
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
what's up with that newspaper
lol
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM
I would like to hear an explanation as to why only three of the five Best Song entries were performed, yet there was a ton of time dedicated to singing other songs (and the Les Miserables song wasn't even performed in its entirety). The James Bond tribute was okay, I guess. Did we need a separate tribute to musicals that only included three musicals from the past ten years?

The tie for sound editing was pretty messed up. That's always the one category were people always admit they don't understand what it is or how to vote on it - and it ends up in a tie. Mark Wahlberg's response to the audience surprise was pretty funny. He basically shrugged and said "Hey, tough titty."

Did anyone else find it weird that the orchestra was in another building down the street? WTF?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Quote:

-Argo winning best picture, but Affleck not even nominated for best DIRECTOR?

-Brave winning best animated film when ALL OTHER FOUR NOMINEES were vastly superior.

-Seth McFarlane being called a bad host? James Franco and Anne Hathaway were bad host, at least McFarlane KINDA wasn't afraid of who he insulted.
Fixed
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM
The Onion tweet about Wallis was way over any sane person's line. Just absurd. The fact that they retreated from it is a testament to how out of line it was. While they're not very clever, I generally dig what they do, but this was way too much and they need to more formally and outwardly address it.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Well maybe I'm going to hell but seeing as its the Onion I really don't think it's that huge of a deal. It was obviously a joke and a jab at everyone going gaga over Wallis just coz shes a cute kid. I wonder how many people retweeted that Onion tweet. I follow them but that one flew by me (and even though I don't find it so offensive as so many people do, i wouldn't retweet it. Cunt is a nasty word no doubt)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
I'd feel a little different if they hadn't deleted and sorta-kinda apologized. It showed that they thought it was a bit too much.

To be clear: you can totally make fun of a child in the public spotlight. But not in that way.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:

-Brave winning best animated film when Wreck-it-Ralph was vastly superior.

-Seth McFarlane being called a bad host? James Franco and Anne Hathaway were bad host, at least McFarlane wasn't afraid of who he insulted.
1 True
2 I had a feeling she would win after the third joke SM made about her
3 Or director
4 I guess it wasn't. I think most people just punch the Pixar movie out of habit.
5 No, he just apologized after every joke.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I dont get all the hate for Jennifer Lawrence... she is my number 1 hollywood hotty! I love her, her personality is very pure and funny and I was glad she won.
And she was great in Silver Linings!

Now put that Oscar on the shelf and show up on set six hours early so that we can paint you BLUE head to toe for the next X-Men film...
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
I just noticed that the acting winners at the Oscars match the Golden Schmoes winners four for four. Surely that's a first.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
good to know that seth macfarlane hates women
Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Forgot about Crowe. I always forget Gladiator won Best Picture that year.

Still can't think of anybody else though other than Meryl Streep who have done this.
Actually, there's an event more recent example: Guy Pearce in The Hurt Locker (2009) and The King's Speech (2010).

Also, if this counts, Julie Andrews in My Fair Lady (1964) [she provided the singing voice for Audrey Hepburn] and The Sound of Music (1965).

Christopher Walken in Annie Hall (1977) and The Deer Hunter (1978).

Clark Gable in It Happened One Night (1934) and Mutiny on the Bounty (1935).

Michael Peņa in Million Dollar Baby (2004) and Crash (2005).

Last edited by Tkeyjw; 02-26-2013 at 01:01 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 AM
I completely forgot about Gladiator and Beautiful Mind winning back to back... and didnt know about Streep... I guess it just hit me this year with John Goodman because of how much I love him and i thought it was a cool little thing that im sure he is (the littlest bit) proud of!

I also noticed that Kyle Chandler was in 2 of the Best Picture Nominees this year (and of course 1 of them being the winner) Argo & Zero Dark Thirty.

The show seems to be very split with people on who enjoyed it and who didnt... i thought it was one of the best shows in recent memory. They broke up the awards greatly with great entertainment, perhaps my love of Les Miserables clouds my judgment, but that cast performance was pry the best live performance I have ever seen at the Oscars, with maybe the exception of Robin Williams doing Blame Canada!

I guess it goes to show how this country is now, which is a damn shame... you cant do anything but say "hello" and "Good bye" because anything else SOMEONE will be offended by!

We have Anti Defamation leagues who do nothing but wait for someone to say something a bit off kilter so they can get their names in the paper or on the internet.

But with the ratings being nearly 20% better than last years ratings, I wouldnt be surprised if Mcfarlane is asked back
Old 02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post
Actually, there's an event more recent example: Guy Pearce in The Hurt Locker (2009) and The King's Speech (2010).

Also, if this counts, Julie Andrews in My Fair Lady (1964) [she provided the singing voice for Audrey Hepburn] and The Sound of Music (1965).

haha right on... so I was just way off in my assumption Goodman was the first!!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post

Clark Gable in It Happened One Night (1934) and Mutiny on the Bounty (1935).

Michael Peņa in Million Dollar Baby (2004) and Crash (2005).
Wow, you did your homework. Good job.

John C. Reilly was mentioned earlier about being in the most Best Picture nominees in one year and I've been trying to think of actors who were in two Best Pictures in one year.

There's Viola Davis last year with The Help and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

John Goodman with The Artist and Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close.

Emma Thompson with In The Name Of The Father and The Remains Of The Day.

Robert De Niro with Goodfellas and Awakenings.

John Malkovich with The Killing Fields and Places In The Heart.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head, but I know there's more.

With the expanded Best Picture Field, I'm sure John C. Reilly's record will be tied or even broken one year.

Also something else I noticed, we had two acting winners this year who were also previous winners on their last nominations. Add Ang Lee in for director and I think this could be a record.

Also, three of the acting winners were also on their second nominations.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 02-26-2013 at 01:20 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 AM
I don't know if any of you guys read the blog I've started up. I suck at promoting it because I hate being "that guy" but this is the only movie forum I'm actively on so I'm that guy now. Shit.

Anyways, my post Oscar thoughts in full are here: http://grapevinepics.com/post-oscar-good-bad-ugly/
Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 AM
i dont get the love for Jennifer Hudson... i think she is one of the most over rated oscar winners ever... her performance at the oscars last night was ok, but she just screams her way through the song and she gets a fucking standing ovation?!

also... for them touting a huge homage to James Bond, a couple minutes of clips with a live performance of one of the songs does not an homage make... im not even a Bond fan, but shit i expected more!

Posted from Joblo.com App for Android
Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 AM
I hated Dreamgirls and thought Jennifer Hudson's performance was overrated and actually quite irritating, but that said, I thought her performance last night was absolutely stellar.

And yeah, the Bond tribute was a bit of a bust. They could have and should have done a lot better. The Goldfinger performance was okay but Adele's performance was amazing as usual.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 AM
The Goldfinger part was impressive given the fact it was done so long ago.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Wow, you did your homework. Good job.

John C. Reilly was mentioned earlier about being in the most Best Picture nominees in one year and I've been trying to think of actors who were in two Best Pictures in one year.

There's Viola Davis last year with The Help and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

John Goodman with The Artist and Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close.

Emma Thompson with In The Name Of The Father and The Remains Of The Day.

Robert De Niro with Goodfellas and Awakenings.

John Malkovich with The Killing Fields and Places In The Heart.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head, but I know there's more.
Off the top of my head, the following came to mind:

Albert Finney in Traffic and Erin Brockovich.

Jeff Goldblum in The Right Stuff and The Big Chill.

Faye Dunaway in Chinatown and The Towering Inferno.

I thought of one each for the next two and realized that there are at least two years where the same two actors were both in the same two movies that were both up for Best Picture. In both cases, one of the two films won:

John Cazale in The Godfather Part II and The Conversation.
Robert Duvall also in The Godfather Part II and The Conversation.

Geoffrey Rush in Elizabeth and Shakespeare in Love.
Joseph Fiennes also in Elizabeth and Shakespeare in Love.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM
This year: Kyle Chandler in Argo and Zero Dark Thirty

And he'll more than likely be working the awards circuit next year for Wolf of Wall Street as well. I'm really happy to see him getting awesome work, the guy is great.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Actually, John C. Reilly's record is shared. He was the fourth person to appear in three Best Picture nominees in the same year. The other three are Claudette Colbert (1934: It Happened One Night, Cleopatra, Imitation of Life), Charles Laughton (1935: Mutiny on the Bounty, Les Miserables, Ruggles of Red Gap), and Thomas Mitchell (1939: Gone with the Wind, Stagecoach, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington). Reilly's inclusion is perhaps more impressive, however, because he was the only one to have achieved this feat in a year of five nominees as opposed to ten nominees for Mitchell and twelve nominees for both Colbert and Laughton. Also worth noting is that in all four of these cases, the actor appeared in the Best Picture winner.

Hooray for Oscar trivia!

In any case, starring in two Best Picture nominees in a single year has been done many times. It happened several times just last year:

Brad Pitt in The Tree of Life and Moneyball
Jessica Chastain in The Tree of Life and The Help
Viola Davis in The Help and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
John Goodman in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and The Artist
Tom Hiddleston in Midnight in Paris and War Horse

So yeah, I'd say that's not really too big a deal if five actors can do it in a single year.

Last edited by Tkeyjw; 02-26-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 AM
To add one more to this increasingly growing list of actors in two Best Picture nominees, Danny Glover with The Color Purple and Witness.

Something else I just noticed. With Argo winning Best Picture, this is most likely the first time where multiple producers for the Best Picture Oscar were all actors.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Any early predictions for next year? A couple of stand-outs that I am greatly anticipating:

- Steve Carell for Bennett Miller's Foxcatcher. He'll be be playing John Du Pont, the paranoid schizophrenic who killed Olympic wrestler Dave Schultz, a complex role as it is and one that will have him coming far out of his comfort zone.

- Matthew McConnaughey for Dallas Buyers Club. The physical transformation itself is already extraordinary. This role seems like it will be the apex of the new age of his career.

And of course, The Wolf of Wall Street is something that I'm sure will prove to live up to expectations if script reviews, the cast, and Scorsese's track record are enough to go by.

Last edited by Reckoner; 02-27-2013 at 03:27 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Any early predictions for next year? A couple of stand-outs that I am greatly anticipating:

- Steve Carell for Bennett Miller's Foxcatcher. He'll be be playing John Du Pont, the paranoid schizophrenic who killed Olympic wrestler Dave Schultz, a complex role as it is and one that will have him coming far out of his comfort zone.

- Matthew McConnaughey for Dallas Buyers Club. The physical transformation itself is already extraordinary. This role seems like it will be the apex of the new age of his career.

And of course, The Wolf of Wall Street is something that I'm sure will prove to live up to expectations if script reviews, the cast, and Scorsese's track record are enough to go by.
Can't wait for Foxcatcher.

The David O. Russell Abscam movie sounds like a solid bet for some awards.

Inside Llewyn Davis, Twelve Years a Slave, and The Monuments Men are others to look out for. Impossible to know who specifically will stand out in these, if any.

Also - Sandra Bullock in Gravity. Cuaron is brilliant and it's a basically a one-woman show. Not to mention I think I read somewhere that the first scene of the movie is basically a 30 minute long take or something? If this ends up being great no way she isn't nominated.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Do you guys reckon The Place Beyond the Pines will have much of a chance?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
I think it would if it were released later in the year. It seems to be getting the Zodiac treatment. It's also pretty bleak, which could work against it. Acting-wise, Dane DeHaan probably stands the best chance (although everyone is really good in it). Cianfrance should get nominated because he pulls off some incredible stuff in this (both story-wise and visually), but I honestly think it will just get left behind after its March release. Very few films can keep momentum going for that long, even one as great as Pines.

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-27-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
It looks absolutely riveting and I'm sure it'll be worthy of awards (at least if Bourne's hyping is any indication haha) but I think, like most films released at this point of the year, it's going to need a ton of support to get to the finish line... especially if the rest of the year will carry films of the same quality.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
The Place Beyond The Pines will really need the critics to bring it back at the end of the year to help its awards chances, assuming it gets the reviews.

But even if it can't make it in for Director or screenplay, I don't think that means its chances for an acting nomination or two are out.

Richard Jenkins, Kate Winslet, and Julie Christie managed to get nominated for spring releases and Melissa Leo got in for a summer release.

If the passion is there for one or more performances, like the ones I just mentioned, it's possible.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
In terms of other films that haven't been mentioned that could be nominated...

Labor Day is one to watch out for. It sounds like Paramount is very happy with it too. The Counselor could also be in there, with its November release date. The script for that one was incredible, although it is very bleak. Her is another one. Spike Jonze directed it and it has a hell of a cast (including Joaquin Phoenix, who I think it going to kill it based on the photos I've seen). Scott Cooper's Out of the Furnace also has a stacked cast and sounds great. Prisoners from Denis Villeneuve (Incendies) also sounds great and was one of the hottest unproduced scripts there for a while.

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-27-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
You can't count out Meryl Streep for August: Osage County. She's always in contention.

I actually think if she had lost for The Iron Lady, she probably would have been nominated this year for Hope Springs as a filler nominee.

Also I think Bruce Dern for Nebraska is a good possibility. He's a veteran who hasn't been nominated in a long time and it's an Alexander Payne film.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:26 AM
Saving Mr. Banks sounds like it could end up getting a ton of nominations. So does Captain Phillips.

Rush looks to be a return to form for Ron Howard, especially since it was written by Peter Morgan.

Finally, this may be wishful thinking on my part, but if Man of Steel is half as awesome as it looks I think it could get more than just technical nominations. But, then again, if none of Chris Nolan's Batman films were able to break in (a part from Heath Ledger), then maybe not.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Finally, this may be wishful thinking on my part, but if Man of Steel is half as awesome as it looks I think it could get more than just technical nominations. But, then again, if none of Chris Nolan's Batman films were able to break in (a part from Heath Ledger), then maybe not.
I do think that's wishful thinking on your part. Zack Snyder is pretty divisive with critics, to say the least. I think the best it can hope for is generally positive reviews with a few raves, because I definitely don't think it's a movie that almost everyone will be going crazy over like The Dark Knight.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 PM
If Superman is a big critical and box office success, it will certainly help Amy Adams, since she'll also have the Spike Jonze and David O. Russell films later on in the year.

Do we know if the Russell film will be done in time for this year?

Also, does anybody know the specifics of her role in it? Is the role strong enough for a nomination or even a win?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Hopefully next year will FINALLY be Naomi Watts turn to win with that Princess Diana movie that she has coming out.

As for Amy Adams role in the David O. Russell flick, I believe she is playing Cooper's partner and love interest. It sounded like a fairly substantial role when I was reading about it.