Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Should Celebs Charge For Autographs?

I wanted to include a poll with this thread, but it appears there's no option for that yet. Anyway, here's my story...

I've been going to local conventions in my area since 2004, and very few celebrities have signed for free. This really bugged me a lot at first, and still does to a certain extent. My basic view is this: if the promoters are covering the guests' hotels, flights, and/or appearance fees, why do the celebs feel a need to stuff their wallets even more by harping on fans? I understand wanting to be compensated for your time, but at what point does it become overkill? The most I ever recall paying is $40, and that was once...but I've heard of stars who charge insane amounts, like $80 for Patrick Stewart, $150 for Mark Hamill, or over $400 for Harrison Ford! As much as I enjoy some folks' work, there's no way I'm putting up with that.

What's your take on this subject in general? Good, bad, indifferent?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM
If people are willing to pay it then they're simply waiting to be exploited, sadly.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd say definitely not right if you're talking about strictly a signature especially when it comes to big names like Harrison Ford and Patrick Stewart. You know celebs like that aren't hurting for money so it's just wrong in my opinion.

I've been to a few horror conventions and met a few minor celebs (compared to everyone in Hollywood, but some could be considered horror icons) and actors/actresses who don't really get much work anymore. While they all sold pics you could buy from them to get signed, I don't think any of them charged for autographs of other things or to get personal pictures with them with the exception of one out of the dozen or more I've seen. Considering these were celebs who weren't huge, I had no problem buying pics to get signed from the ones I liked though. Plus they weren't overly expensive. $25 was the most I paid and that was for Taylor Mane... so not really a mega star, but the dude was super nice so I didn't mind.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM
My only autograph is from Vince Regan. He signed my The Art of 300 book. Had to pay 15 euro's if I'm not mistaken.

But do the celebs get (all) the money or does the organization get the dough? I always thought the latter.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM
From the conventions I've gone to, it depends on the contracts done with the celebs.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
How fucking corrupt do you have to be to make millions and then have the audacity to ask average joe fans for cash in return for a copy of their own signature?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
fuck no, they already make enough money as it is
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Well most of you have never been involved in setting up a convention and bringing in the big names to show up and sign. These celebrities are either paid up front or promised a certain cut of autographs/entrance fees. It isn't like Patrick Stewart takes your $200 and jams it into his wallet. That goes to the promoter, at the end of the day it is usually the promoter who sets up pricing. At the end of the day, the celebs get their cut. Yea it sucks to pay $400 or whatever you mentioned for Harrison Ford but you think he is gonna hang out and listen to SW and IJ nerds all day for minimum wage? Fuck no. Plus it isn't just Harrison getting paid in this example, his agent gets a cut of that too. So now your $400 (or $15 in the case of the Peter Mayhew I purchased), is now split at least 3 ways.

If you make $100/hr as a programmer or doctor and you live comfortably, would you take a job that pays $8/hr just because you do not need the money? Your time is valuable. The same goes for these guys/gals.

Keep in mind though that 9 times out of 10, these celebs you are paying to sign things at conventions will do so for free if you find them in an airport or movie set. Not as easy to track them down this way but it works.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
I do feel these days that celebs ask for too much money to be seen in public or in a concert

I know alot of singers want around 600 dollars or more to have them perform a concert for there fans and l can tell you l would prefer to keep my money in my purse than hand over that much money

I can not understand why it can not be 20 dollars to see a celeb or singer and if you are a well known star you will make alot of money anyway by doing this

I think being famous these days has gont to the head of some celebs or singers and it is the fans that made themhuge not the other way around
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
I do feel these days that celebs ask for too much money to be seen in public or in a concert
I bet you wouldn't complain if it were Paul Hogan asking for a couple hundreds dollars for an autograph
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Oh Paul Hogan wouldn't get a dollar out of me even for a autograph
Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 PM
I'd love to meet Paul Hogan, but if he wanted a ton of cash, I'd be severely disappointed.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Sure for $5 or $10? Why not? Most I've paid or will ever pay is probably $15 or so. Beyond that, their signature ain't worth it to me. I also like the idea of a photo op moreso than a damned signature on something.... Actually PROVES you met them.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM
It's dumb, honestly.

I'll stick to meeting celebs on Broadway and getting pictures/autographs for free.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Sure for $5 or $10? Why not? Most I've paid or will ever pay is probably $15 or so. Beyond that, their signature ain't worth it to me. I also like the idea of a photo op moreso than a damned signature on something.... Actually PROVES you met them.
True, and when I first started attending cons, most didn't charge for posing with fans. Now, the shows here in Dallas use a professional company called Froggys, and its mostly a cattle call. I've seen photo-op prices as high as $70, but I've heard other conventions charge a lot more.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
How fucking corrupt do you have to be to make millions and then have the audacity to ask average joe fans for cash in return for a copy of their own signature?
+1
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
How corrupt do you have to be to make millions, and then have the audacity to ask average Joe fans for cash in return for a copy of your signature?
Fixed.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Some people have no common sense on how these things work I see.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
Well most of you have never been involved in setting up a convention and bringing in the big names to show up and sign. These celebrities are either paid up front or promised a certain cut of autographs/entrance fees.
I can't speak for every organization, but C2 Ventures in Dallas doesn't pay appearance fees. They just cover the hotels and flights.

Quote:
It isn't like Patrick Stewart takes your $200 and jams it into his wallet. That goes to the promoter, at the end of the day it is usually the promoter who sets up pricing.
Again, not at the local ones here. One of the guys who runs the local shows told me the celebs' agents set the rates, and the promoters aren't even allowed to negotiate.

Quote:
At the end of the day, the celebs get their cut. Yea it sucks to pay $400 or whatever you mentioned for Harrison Ford but you think he is gonna hang out and listen to SW and IJ nerds all day for minimum wage? Fuck no.
Then in my opinion, he's let the fame go to his head, and isn't worth meeting. People like me gave him the bulk of his notoriety by paying to see his work, and he's nothing without the fans.

Quote:
Plus it isn't just Harrison getting paid in this example, his agent gets a cut of that too. So now your $400 (or $15 in the case of the Peter Mayhew I purchased), is now split at least 3 ways.
Well, I'm not interested in stuffing anyone else's pocket; that should be the celebs' responsibility. I do have a cool story about Mr. Mayhew, though; the company my aunt once worked for does his taxes, and she got to meet him a few times.

Quote:
If you make $100/hr as a programmer or doctor and you live comfortably, would you take a job that pays $8/hr just because you do not need the money? Your time is valuable. The same goes for these guys/gals.
It would depend on the job, and how much I already had in the bank.

Quote:
Keep in mind though that 9 times out of 10, these celebs you are paying to sign things at conventions will do so for free if you find them in an airport or movie set. Not as easy to track them down this way but it works.
Yeah, but unless you live near a regularly-used filming location, you still have to pay a ton of cash to get there. It sucks, plain and simple.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Who cares. If people are willing to pay then let them.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
I can't speak for every organization, but C2 Ventures in Dallas doesn't pay appearance fees. They just cover the hotels and flights.
Many of them still do though.

Quote:
Again, not at the local ones here. One of the guys who runs the local shows told me the celebs' agents set the rates, and the promoters aren't even allowed to negotiate.
That is the case many times, the agent will set a certain price but the promoter will still bump that up to make money.

Quote:
Then in my opinion, he's let the fame go to his head, and isn't worth meeting. People like me gave him the bulk of his notoriety by paying to see his work, and he's nothing without the fans.
So because you are a fan of his movie, he should, out of his own pocket, take time to come to the convention while sitting around for 2 or sometimes 3 days and gets horrible writers cramp all for free because you paid to see a film of his? If you were a doctor and you had a patient pay you thousands of dollars should the next few visits be free just because they paid him in the past?

Quote:
Well, I'm not interested in stuffing anyone else's pocket; that should be the celebs' responsibility. I do have a cool story about Mr. Mayhew, though; the company my aunt once worked for does his taxes, and she got to meet him a few times.
You may not be but that does not change the fact that the person in question DOES have to pay these people. And yes, Mayhew was awesome and a convention nerd I was in line with had gotten his autograph like a dozen times at different conventions and said Mayhew is always awesome to his fans.

Quote:
It would depend on the job, and how much I already had in the bank.
Not much I can say about this, that is cool for you but most want to get paid what they are worth for their time, money or not. I would not go back and work at Arby's just because I had money in the bank and time to waste.

Quote:
Yeah, but unless you live near a regularly-used filming location, you still have to pay a ton of cash to get there. It sucks, plain and simple.
That is true and hence why these conventions pay big bucks to bring in celebs and in turn charge big bucks.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Fixed.
Ah, yes. My bad. That's on-the-fly posting for ya.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Quote:
That is the case many times, the agent will set a certain price but the promoter will still bump that up to make money.
I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:
So because you are a fan of his movie, he should, out of his own pocket, take time to come to the convention while sitting around for 2 or sometimes 3 days and gets horrible writers cramp all for free because you paid to see a film of his?
I'm saying that when they're not working or around their families, celebs should put their fans first. If someone gets their travel and hotel paid for them to attend a convention, that should be enough. There's no need for asking fans to cover their other expenses.

Quote:
If you were a doctor and you had a patient pay you thousands of dollars should the next few visits be free just because they paid him in the past?
Of course not, but that's a bad analogy. How is signing autographs and taking pictures for 2 days worth the same treatment they get for acting, dealing with explosions, running like crazy, etc. for 3 or 4 months?

Quote:
You may not be, but that does not change the fact that the person in question DOES have to pay these people.
Fine, but let them do so out of their own pockets, not mine.

Quote:
And yes, Mayhew was awesome and a convention nerd I was in line with had gotten his autograph like a dozen times at different conventions and said Mayhew is always awesome to his fans.
Yeah, he's pretty cool. I mentioned my aunt to him once, and his wife reminded him about her.

Quote:
Not much I can say about this, that is cool for you but most want to get paid what they are worth for their time, money or not. I would not go back and work at Arby's just because I had money in the bank and time to waste.
It all comes down to selflessness, and how much some are willing to show it over others.

Quote:
That is true and hence why these conventions pay big bucks to bring in celebs and in turn charge big bucks.
That doesn't make it right for the celebs to be more focused on profit than people.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 PM
If it is at a convention the whole process is a business transaction. Everyone expects to get paid. Everyone going should expect to pay.

Out in public is another issue and they should not charge, but it would be really funny if someone like Jaime Fox or Alec Baldwin asked for $5 in cash before they sign anything.

I really hate the comment that they already make enough money. That has nothing to do with it. No matter who they are or how much money they have, their time is valuable and everyone knows that at a convention they are paid to show up and everyone knows if they charge for a picture or sell you something that is part of the deal.

I do not have any autographs and I never will. It does nothing for me, but if you like it I am happy for you.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 PM
I went to a Chiller convention and paid each cast member of the original Last House On The Left $20 apiece for them to autograph a poster, I thought it a bit hefty, but a worthwhile exchange for a somewhat under-appreciated film. When I ran out of 20's, the guy who played the chainsaw wielding dad, signed it anyway.

William Shatner, on the other hand, wanted $495 for 15 mins with him at Comic Con. I just laughed and thought, "What a S'pange!" But yeah, there was a line to see him. So I laughed again.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Alec Baldwin asked for $5 in cash before they sign anything.

Not going to lie, I think it would be awesome if Baldwin were asking for $5 to sign stuff in the street. Would be a hilarious sight.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
I really hate the comment that they already make enough money. That has nothing to do with it. No matter who they are or how much money they have, their time is valuable and everyone knows that at a convention they are paid to show up and everyone knows if they charge for a picture or sell you something that is part of the deal.
Really? I don't know about you, but if I was already financially set for life (as virtually anyone who makes 7 figures a year is -- providing they don't have a bad spending habit/gambling addiction and invest wisely), but any time I genuinely had something better to do with my time I'd do that instead, be it a public appearance or not -- no fee required. Let's not make money a drug in this world any more than it already is.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
William Shatner, on the other hand, wanted $495 for 15 mins with him at Comic Con. I just laughed and thought, "What a S'pange!" But yeah, there was a line to see him. So I laughed again.
But The Shat is a big name compared to Dick Inurazz who's biggest role is playing a background alien for five seconds in Star Wars 30 years ago. And his only income comes from sitting behind a desk every week signing a few photo's for the die hard fans.
Meanwhile William Fatnner has the choice of going to a convention, doing a segment on the Academy Awards show, having a cameo on a sitcom, being a guest on a gameshow. Of course it will cost more money to see him.

Harrison Ford loathes Star Wars and Indiana Jones fans. If he ever decides to appear at a convention to sign all the Indy and Han merchandise the geeks will bring he can ask topmoney. And fans will gladly pay because it will be the only time in their life to get a scribble and a condescending look from Ford. Supply and demand.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM
they've have a shit load of money already. and they're celebs because of us - fans. so they should be happy that we want their signatures
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_state View Post
They have a shitload of money already, and they're celebs because of us - fans. So, they should be happy that we want their signatures.
Agreed.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
But The Shat is a big name compared to Dick Inurazz who's biggest role is playing a background alien for five seconds in Star Wars 30 years ago. And his only income comes from sitting behind a desk every week signing a few photo's for the die hard fans.
Meanwhile William Fatnner has the choice of going to a convention, doing a segment on the Academy Awards show, having a cameo on a sitcom, being a guest on a gameshow. Of course it will cost more money to see him.

Harrison Ford loathes Star Wars and Indiana Jones fans. If he ever decides to appear at a convention to sign all the Indy and Han merchandise the geeks will bring he can ask topmoney. And fans will gladly pay because it will be the only time in their life to get a scribble and a condescending look from Ford. Supply and demand.
I see. You misinterpreted my post as being anti-capitalistic. It wasn't. I assure you.

My point was that $495 for some time with Captain Kirk is not a worthwhile exchange to me. But whatever floats the other's boats, I say. I just find it too hilarious. Supply and demand indeed.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Really? I don't know about you, but if I was already financially set for life (as virtually anyone who makes 7 figures a year is -- providing they don't have a bad spending habit/gambling addiction and invest wisely), but any time I genuinely had something better to do with my time I'd do that instead, be it a public appearance or not -- no fee required. Let's not make money a drug in this world any more than it already is.
Well said.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Not going to lie, I think it would be awesome if Baldwin were asking for $5 to sign stuff in the street. Would be a hilarious sight.
What if he gave a discount if you used your Capital One credit card? Now that would be funny.

Quote:
LOL You must not make much money and grew up poor. Most people who make 1, 2, 3 mil a year are not set for life. Most people who made $50k and now make $2 mil live a life of someone who makes $2 mil and all that goes with it. There are few jobs by percentage that pay 7 figures and the ones that do, do not last forever. By percentage, most 7 figure jobs last less than 10 years.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 04-15-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
I recently attended a horror convention and I was really excited to meet Brian O' Halloran. I go up to him, have him sign my Brutal Massacre DVD and all is well. However, after he signed it, he THEN asks me for $25. I basically didn't have a choice since he already signed it. I payed him and with my standing there, he pulls out a blue hand bag (not an actual hand bag, just a little bag that looked like it was a pencil holder) and puts my money in a sea of other money, not really caring. I got a picture and that was great but I was pretty upset. Not all the celebrities put up notes that said they were charging or not since I specifically avoided those who had signs up. I think I'm more upset with the fact that there was no sign, I basically didn't have a choice but to pay.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Quote:
LOL You must not make much money and grew up poor. Most people who make 1, 2, 3 mil a year are not set for life. Most people who made $50k and now make $2 mil live a life of someone who makes $2 mil and all that goes with it. There are few jobs by percentage that pay 7 figures and the ones that do, do not last forever. By percentage, most 7 figure jobs last less than 10 years.
Uh, yes they ARE. The trick is to not become shallow and materialistic and spend all of it on frivolous shit you really don't need. Again, if you save and invest wisely, you should have no trouble making that last until the day you die. I know our society puts an emphasis wealth, status and materialism, but be a bigger person and don't succumb to that bullshit.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
What if he gave a discount if you used your Capital One credit card? Now that would be funny.
" A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Charging. Always be charging, always be charging....... for my autographs! "
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
I recently attended a horror convention and I was really excited to meet Brian O' Halloran. I go up to him, have him sign my Brutal Massacre DVD and all is well. However, after he signed it, he THEN asks me for $25. I basically didn't have a choice since he already signed it. I payed him and with my standing there, he pulls out a blue hand bag (not an actual hand bag, just a little bag that looked like it was a pencil holder) and puts my money in a sea of other money, not really caring. I got a picture and that was great but I was pretty upset. Not all the celebrities put up notes that said they were charging or not since I specifically avoided those who had signs up. I think I'm more upset with the fact that there was no sign, I basically didn't have a choice but to pay.
LOL. Shoulda just left.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Uh, yes they ARE. The trick is to not become shallow and materialistic and spend all of it on frivolous shit you really don't need. Again, if you save and invest wisely, you should have no trouble making that last until the day you die. I know our society puts an emphasis wealth, status and materialism, but be a bigger person and don't succumb to that bullshit.
Sorry dude, you know nothing of taxes and costs of things. It has little to do with being materialistic. You get rich, you move to a bigger house that has bigger property taxes and needs more shit to fill it and maybe you have more kids and they cost more and you have to pay for all your own shit like college for your kids, because you make too much to get any help and you buy the kids cars rather than make them buy it themselves, you eat at better places, you go on better vacations, you buy super prem gas rather than regular, you have to drive a better car, you buy better toilet paper, you pay for all the prem cable channels on your bigger tv and because of that your electric bill is higher and you pay more for all the maint of you new big yard and the pool you buy anbd you buy better gifts for family, because you can. All these things are pretty much regular like type stuff just more expensive. If you have money, you dont eat at McDonalds, you go to Chilis for lunch. You will prob say it is materialistic, but it is not. This is life when you have some money to enjoy it and it goes fast, so you need to keep making it so you can keep this lifestyle. Maybe you are not basing your thoughts on reality and because you have little or nothing have a hated and jealousy for those with shit.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
It has little to do with being materialistic.
It has everything to do with being materialistic.

Quote:
You get rich, you move to a bigger house that has bigger property taxes and needs more shit to fill it and maybe you have more kids and they cost more and you have to pay for all your own shit like college for your kids, because you make too much to get any help and you buy the kids cars rather than make them buy it themselves, you eat at better places, you go on better vacations, you buy super prem gas rather than regular, you have to drive a better car, you buy better toilet paper, you pay for all the prem cable channels on your bigger tv and because of that your electric bill is higher and you pay more for all the maint of you new big yard and the pool you buy anbd you buy better gifts for family, because you can.
There's nothing inherently wrong with any of that. But if doing all that taps into your wealth to the degree that a million dollars or more a year doesn't cover you for life, then you are simply an immature and materialistic individual who needs to grow up and spend money wisely. None of the things you listed -- repeat, none -- are necessary. There's no need to not make your kids work for a car, to drive a more reasonable car, to not get premium channels, etc etc. There's just no reason. As you said yourself, it's done "because you can." But here's the thing: if you can't make it work and still have plenty of money left over, then well, you can't do it.

All of that is total immature keeping-up-with-the-Joneses bullshit that invades the lives of people who haven't grown up at all since high school. Why do you need a nicer car? So people know you have money? Why does that matter? It doesn't. At all.

Quote:
This is life when you have some money to enjoy it and it goes fast, so you need to keep making it so you can keep this lifestyle.
It only goes fast if you spend it poorly. There's no requirement that it goes fast.

Quote:
Maybe you are not basing your thoughts on reality and because you have little or nothing have a hated and jealousy for those with shit.
Or maybe some of us aren't driven by bullshit that won't last. I have very little money and many things are a struggle, but I don't envy those with wealth in the slightest. There are legitimate complications that come with wealth that I just don't care about or have time for, and the benefits of wealth I also don't care about or have time for. My life just isn't based on or about money. If people with great amounts of money are happy, then good for them. If they're like you and just feel a constant need for more and lack of satisfaction with what they have, well, then I sincerely feel bad for them and wouldn't trade my life for theirs.