Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Ethan Hawke Movies?

Hi there everyone,

Who here loves a bit of Hawke?

Besides his looks, Ethan Hawke is also known for some fantastic movies including the fantastic Sinister in which he gives one of his best performances. He's no newbie to horror films either with one of his best roles being in the excellent Daybreakers which offered a bloody fresh take on vampires, away from all the sparkly nonsense. He's also stared in such great films as Staten Island, Lord Of War, Assault on Precinct 13 and of course White Fang!

But what are some of your favourite his films?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
He is a good actor but for some reason I just do not like the guy. I also think he was the weak link in Training Day.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
He is a good actor but for some reason I just do not like the guy. I also think he was the weak link in Training Day.
I thought he was great in Training Day, the exact opposite of Lorenzo and he kicked some serious ass too. He's excellent in the whole poker game/assasination scene with his face displaying such a mixture of emotions. He's just a fine actor.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I thought he was great in Training Day, the exact opposite of Lorenzo and he kicked some serious ass too. He's excellent in the whole poker game/assasination scene with his face displaying such a mixture of emotions. He's just a fine actor.
Eh, I disagree. He just isn't in the same league as Denzel and it showed. I did think he was pretty good in Sinister but something about him, he always comes off as....a douche...I think that best describes the vibe I get when watching him.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Eh, I disagree. He just isn't in the same league as Denzel and it showed. I did think he was pretty good in Sinister but something about him, he always comes off as....a douche...I think that best describes the vibe I get when watching him.
I dunno, Denzel was in fine booming mode and it was an overbearing performance, Hawke nicely underplayed his character and let Denzel show off his posturing skills. No doubt that Denzel is a fine actor, but I think Hawke played the part he had really well.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Training Day
Taking Lives
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Those are probably my favourite performances by him.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
I think he is a good actor.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
I thought he was excellent in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, but I still don't think he'll ever top the Before Sunrise trilogy. Unless they keep making more of them.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Training Day
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
These two. He also played the perfect pretentious dickhead in Reality Bites.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Not a fan of his poetry huh?

I dig him as an actor (he was insanely good in Tape) but yeah I think he is probably a smug prick in real life. Plus I can't believe he cheated on Uma Thurman with his ugly nanny. Fuckin dumbass

Anyways if I had to rank his performances it would go something like this...

1. Tape
2. Gattaca
3. Before Sunset
4. Great Expectations
5. Hamlet
6. Training Day
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
he was good in Training Day
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Loved him in this one http://www.filmtied.com/Lord-of-War
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Don't really have anything to add. I'll say my favorite movie of his is probably Gattaca. Also loved Snow Falling on Cedars. And the guy was even bad fucking ass alongside Laurence Fishburne in the remake of Assault on Precinct 13.

Also loved Daybreakers. The best recent vampire flick.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM
He looks dead up like Johnny Drama (Kevin Dillon) in Sinister. Good actor though. Nothing special but he's consistent. I like a lot of his films but he's not the type of actor where if I see his name on the poster I automatically want to see the film.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I've only seen a small handful of Ethan Hawke flicks, my favorite being Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. That movie got snubbed for so many Oscars, Hawke for Best Actor being one of them.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
I've only seen a small handful of Ethan Hawke flicks, my favorite being Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. That movie got snubbed for so many Oscars, Hawke for Best Actor being one of them.
Great call there dude. I totally forgot about Before The Devil Knows You're Dead
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM
All about the Hawke.

Dead poets society and Gen X are by far my favorites.. Ethan blows up the screen, and I'd watch any movie that he's in.
I'm definitely gonna check out his upcoming film 'Getaway'.
I'm not sure about his dynamic with Selena Gomez...not so hot for her. but I'm very interested to see how that goes down. You got my vote Hawke!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM
The Hawk-ster!

Dumphee, I don't know whether Gen X was really one of his best.. but I agree with you about Getaway. I'm pumped. I have high hopes for it... and give Selena a break! It's a new genre for her, but she delivers time and again. Should be interesting to see them work together.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Getaway!

K Winston, I agree.. I don't know if Gen X was one of his 'best'.. Training day and a Mightnight Clear, i mean, WOW.
I kinda really appreciate the fact that you're singing Selena's praises though. That's cool you have faith in her as a guy. I'm excited about Getaway.. Ethan and Selena is such an interesting combination!

Last edited by S Howard; 03-01-2013 at 05:34 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Winston View Post
Dumphee, I don't know whether Gen X was really one of his best.. but I agree with you about Getaway. I'm pumped. I have high hopes for it... and give Selena a break! It's a new genre for her, but she delivers time and again. Should be interesting to see them work together.
Yes because Monte Carlo was such a GREAT movie!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 AM
He's amazing in Before Sunrise and Sunset but he is overshadowed by Delpy which I tend to find in most of his films.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Ethan Hawke is the man!

Love the Hawke! I'm really looking forward to Getaway that's out in August. I feel like Selena Gomez has big shoes to fill if she's going to be leading lady in such a big production, with such well reputed actors. Can you believe Jon Voight is in it too?
I'm definitely not missing this!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 05:06 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I liked him a lot in "Reality Bites."
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Cant believe it took that long for someone to say 'Reality Bites'. I think it's kind of a no-brainer. Although respect should be given to Dead Poets, Before Sunrise and Gattaca.

But if someone were to come up to you and say: "I'm building a time-capsule and what I really need is the quintessential Ethan Hawke movie, that there ever was. Can you help me out?" I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better than his work in 'Reality Bites'.

Just for the record though, nobody would EVER say that to you.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:50 PM
I love the Hawke! and I'm really excited for his new film thats coming out in August.. 'Getaway'. The shelby mustang looks like such a babe, haha! and I think its brilliant to cast Hawke and Jon Voight together.. cinematic magic !
Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I agree with you Dingler, I'm looking forward to 'Getaway' too! I'm glad people are talking about it because it's gonna be goooood. The mustang is such a beauty.. so is Selena : } Ethan and Selena is an interesting combination, but after seeing her in Spring Breakers, I think she's really grown into her own and will do an awesome job.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM

Thanks for letting me know about Getaway, guys! I just looked it up and I'm so happy Selena is in it! it's her first action film and I'm sure she'll do an awesome job. She has a lot of respect for the craft and I can imagine she trained and really got herself in shape mentally and physically for this role. I mean, she must realize what an honor it is to be cast with Ethan Hawke, the man the legend!
I'm excited for this movie.. Getaway has quite a ring to it. It's gonna be huge, I just feel it!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Getaway!!

I can't wait for Getaway to release.. I'm really happy Ethan is doing a movie this year. I saw him on stage a couple years ago, and was blown away! I'm not sure about Selena as a choice of actress.. But I'm sure she'll deliver. Well... she better! because I'm sure a lot of people have high hopes for this film.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Dingler View Post
I can't wait for Getaway to release.. I'm really happy Ethan is doing a movie this year. I saw him on stage a couple years ago, and was blown away! I'm not sure about Selena as a choice of actress.. But I'm sure she'll deliver. Well... she better! because I'm sure a lot of people have high hopes for this film.
I was browsing message boards like a g and I just came across this bad-ass new still from Getaway! Thought i'd share..
http://www.getawayfansite.com/#!unti...c8bw/image1h1r
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Oh yeah, and..Training Day was my favorite Hawke movie. Hamlet, and Before sunset were definite contenders too. Maybe he'll wow us in Getaway?

Last edited by S Howard; 04-18-2013 at 05:45 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Getaway trailer?

So I heard amazing things about Before Midnight at Tribeca. I can't find a trailer for his next movie Getaway coming out August 30, 2013. You have a release date! Where's the trailer?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 AM
I still need to see Hamlet.