Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
The Insider

How fucking good is this movie? I just watched it for the first time in years and it is undoubtedly a modern classic. It also has to be one of the best ensembles in recent memory. Pacino, Crowe, Plummer, Hall, Gambon, McGill. These guys all just killed it.

Can't wait for Mann's upcoming cyber-terrorism thriller.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Huge fan of this one as well, and I'd even rank it above Heat as Mann's best work to date. It's a masterfully crafted film - as a thriller it's incredibly taut and erudite and as a character study it's compelling and riveting. That scene where Crowe starts hallucinating about his daughters as "Iguazu" plays in the background is as haunting as it gets. Powerful stuff.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:52 PM
I love this film too. It's Crowe's best performance and Pacino and Plummer are equally great.

I hope Mann can return to this level of quality in the future.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I blind bought this years ago for $4 on dvd...I don't rememer much of it...I'll have to pop it back in and check it out this week.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I agree that it's Mann's best film. Crowe and Pacino are amazing in the movie. Gripping and fascinating from beginning to end.

As far as I'm concerned Mann has made 3 great movie and several very good ones. The great ones are this, Heat and The Last of the Mohicans. Actually, maybe a 4th one could be added but I need to give Public Enemies a re-watch before I include it with that group.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 PM
I loved and still love this movie. The next movie Crowe did was Gladiator. He goes from fatty to buffy. I love movies like this that just shows you how shitty the world of media can be.

There are several awesome moments in various scenes

"Mike"? Try "Mr. Wallace." We work in the same corporation, doesn't mean we work in the same profession. What are you gonna do now? You gonna finesse me? Lawyer me some more? I've been in this profession fifty fucking years. You and the people you work for are destroying the most-respected, the highest-rated, the most-profitable show on this network!

Boy, you got rights... and lefts. Ups and downs and middles. So what? You don't get to instruct anything around here! This is not North Carolina, not South Carolina, nor Kentucky! This is the sovereign state of Mississippi's proceedings. Wipe that smirk off your face! Dr. Wigand's deposition will be part of this record! And I'm gonna take my witness' testimony whether the hell you like it or not!

What the hell do you think I am? A 78 year-old assassin? You think I'm gonna karate him to death with this notepad?

You'd better take a *good* look, because I'm getting two things: pissed off and curious.