Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM
"Key" films you haven't seen (could be embarrassed)

My mate claims to be a major movie buff, but the the "key" films he hasn't seen include the Godfather trilogy, Scarface and Goodfellas.

I therefore have refused to acknowledge him as a film buff because he hasn't seen these really important films, but it got me thinknig about some probably major big imporant or "key" films I've yet to see.

1. The Rocky Horror Picture show
2. Gone with the Wind
3. 400 Blows
4. Jean de Florette
5. The Good, the bad and the Ugly
6. Seven Samurai or the Magnificient Seven for that matter
7. It's a Wonferful Life
8. Sunset Boulevard
9. Spirited Away
10. Anything with Charlie Chaplin in

I mean I should really see these films at somepoint. Come on guys what are you really embarrased at not having seen?!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Citizen Kane
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post
Citizen Kane
I made a point of sitting down to watch that and I was bored beyond tears. Maybe it was because I knew what/who Rosebud was?!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I made a point of sitting down to watch that and I was bored beyond tears. Maybe it was because I knew what/who Rosebud was?!
Citizen Kane is deemed a classic not because of Rosebud, but because of its many cinematic conventions that paved the way for many other filmmakers to utilize. Deep focus, camera movement / technique, staging. It was inventive for its time. If you can't finish it, at least watch it with Ebert's commentary.
----------------------

Seven Samurai - I always hold this off because of its length.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM
1. The Godfather Part II (I bought the Blu-ray Complete Coppola)
2. The Good, Bad, and the Ugly
3. The French Connection
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Out 1
Werckmeister Harmonies
Satantango
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Spirit of The Beehive
Floating Weeds (1959)
Underground
The Red and The White
A City of Sadness
Songs from The Second Floor
Louisiana Story
Eureka
The works of Apichatpong Weerasethakul
The works of Jia Zhangke

Movies more widely considered "key":
The Sound of Music
An American in Paris
Mary Poppins
On the Town
The Music Man
The King and I
Fiddler on The Roof
All That Jazz
Julia
Cleopatra
The Bitter Teas of General Yen
Love and Death

Movies I'd consider "key":
Milestones
Route One, USA
The Battle of Chile
La Commune (Paris, 1871)
Street Scenes
Still Life ('74)
A Thousand-Year-Old Bee
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
Scenes from The Class Struggle in Portugal
Invasion (1969)
The Round-Up
The Quince Tree Sun
Belfast, Maine
State Legislature

For the first group, it's mostly that I've built them up in my head so much that I have to watch them under the perfect conditions which is hard to do given my work schedule/living with others/the length of many of them. The second group I either don't have an interest in seeing (the musicals) or just have the usual reasons for not getting around to yet. The third group I can't find anywhere except, in some cases, terrible quality YouTube versions I've not yet resigned myself to settle for.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 02-22-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm not reallly embarrassed about not having seen certain movies.

But here are a few that are key for me that I haven't seen.

Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdwon
Zelig
Naked
Grave Of The Fireflies
Sherman's March (I have it so I hope to see it in the next few days)
The Purple Rose Of Cairo
The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie
Opening Night
Love Streams
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Casablance
Sunset Blvd
Dr. Strangelove
M
Double Indemnity
The Great Dictator
Cinema Paradiso
Das Boot
The Treasure of Sierra Miedre
The Third Man
Singing in the Rain
All ABout Eve
Witness for the Prosecution
Some Like it Hot
The Sting
Yojimbo
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Mr Smith. Goes to Washington
The Great Escape
The Seventh Seal
Wild Strwaberries
Rebecca
The Malteste Falcon
Touch of Evil
It Happened One Night
Cool Hand Luke
Strangers on a Train
High Noon
The Grapes of Wrath
Gone with the Wind
Notorius
The Night of the Hunter
Persona
Dial M for Murder
Who's Afraid of Vigina Woolf
Stalker
Groundhog Day
Gandhi
Sleuth
Stalag 17
The Hustler
Anatomy of Murder
The Graduate.
The Manchurian Candidate
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Roman holiday
Rope
Harvey
All Quiet on teh Wetsern Fornt
Battleship Potemkin
A Streetcar Named Desire
Nosferatu
Papillon
Happiness
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Gone with the Wind
Sound of Music
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Seven Samurai - I always hold this off because of its length.
I'm typically the same way with very long movies, but Seven Samurai is in my top 10. I don't want to build it up too much for you, but I will say that, in my opinion, it does not feel as long as it is. It's briskly paced considering its epic length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Werckmeister Harmonies
Satantango

Spirit of The Beehive
The works of Apichatpong Weerasethakul
I haven't seen any Bela Tarr films either. Since I just got through explaining that Seven Samurai is long but doesn't *feel* long, I can counter that by saying that the reason I haven't gotten around to Tarr's films is because I've heard from numerous sources that they do indeed feel as long as they are. That doesn't mean I won't like them, but I feel like I really need to find an afternoon to devote to seeing Satantango when I know I'll be in the right frame of mind to sit through it.

About the other two I quoted from you, though, I'm pretty sure you'd love The Spirit of the Beehive based on what I've gathered about your taste, and I actually just got around to seeing Tropical Malady the other day. It's not the type of film that I can say for sure if anyone will like it, since it's really a one-of-a-kind type of movie. I personally loved it, but it's one of those movies you really need to judge for yourself. I'd strongly recommend it, though, even if only to say that you've seen it.

Aside from the aforementioned fact that I haven't seen any Bela Tarr movies, here are some films ranked high on the recently updated "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?" top 1,000 films of all time list that I haven't seen:

Sunrise
L'Atalante
Andrei Rublev

The Apu Trilogy
Pierrot le Fou (I've seen a lot of other Godard movies, and while I admire him more than I actually like him, I still feel compelled to see this)
Shoah
The films of Roberto Rossellini
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
The Mother and the Whore
Los Olvidados
(a film I REALLY want to see since Bunuel is my favorite director, but I haven't been able to find a good copy anywhere)
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (I actually just recorded this on my DVR the other day)
Beau Travail
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post
I'm typically the same way with very long movies, but Seven Samurai is in my top 10. I don't want to build it up too much for you, but I will say that, in my opinion, it does not feel as long as it is. It's briskly paced considering its epic length.
Yeah i really didn't notice the length while watch it, either.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Michelangelo Antonioni
Akira Kurosawa
Hayao Miyazaki

L'âge d'or
Ordet
The Rules of the Game
Tokyo Story
The Night of the Hunter
Lawrence of Arabia
The Third Man
Citizen Kane
The Innocents
The Searchers
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
North by Northwest
Stalker
Solaris
Andrei Rublev
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Pink Flamingos
Raging Bull
Paris, Texas
Star Wars
Brazil
Amelie

Last edited by viceus; 02-27-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Citizen Kane is deemed a classic not because of Rosebud, but because of its many cinematic conventions that paved the way for many other filmmakers to utilize. Deep focus, camera movement / technique, staging. It was inventive for its time. If you can't finish it, at least watch it with
I've had it on DVD for years, but its sat on the shelf still in its wrapper... I'll get around to watching it one day.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Many classics. Especially pre 80's, but even some 80's/90's/00's such as Amadeus, The Last Emperor, etc
Many documentaries
Many foreign language flicks.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Yeah i really didn't notice the length while watch it, either.
Ok, I know exactly what you guys mean then. It's one of those 3 hour films where you're so pulled in - the time just flies. Heat is like that for me and some others.

Alright then, I'll get on it this weekend! Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
So gabriel1980 do you consider yourself a movie buff then? At what point can someone say he's a movie buff? What criteria does a movie have to have to be included in the training of a movie buff?

I don't read many books and the only ones I did read have all been adapted to movies. My sister does read a lot. But I read a Shakespear story in school once and I've read Catcher in the Rye. Does that make me the better reader because at least I read some classics and she didn't?

I'll bet if your mate would take a movie quiz he'd still know who starred in The Godfather, Scarface and Goodfellas. I'll bet he knows what you can't refuse, what friend you have to say hello to but maybe doesn't know how funny Joe Pesci is.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Eh, you can't watch them all. Everyone's had that "You haven't seen that movie" conversation about any number of movies. Truth is that if you spent all your time watching the movies people told you you needed to see, then you would never have time to watch the movies you wanted to see.

In recent years, I have actually caught up on some classic movies I had never seen: Citizen Kane, Giant, Gone with the Wind, Rosemary's Baby, The Third Man, Touch of Evil, Bullit, The Godfather Trilogy, Goodfellas, etc. But there are still plenty of "key" movies that were either critically or commercially successful that I have not seen.

The Shawshank Redemption
Brazil
Dr Strangelove
Casablanca
Dark Star
Flashdance
Buckaroo Banzai
The Wild Bunch
(Any Clint Eastwood spaghetti western for that matter)
Raging Bull
The Sting
The Sound of Music
Rebel Without a Cause
A Better Tomorrow
Talk to Her
The Lion King
Wall E
Up
Stripes
Mad Max
Seven Samurai
Rear Window
The Big Lebowski

Nor can I say I'm in a big hurry to see them.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
The Godfather
Star Wars (the only one i have seen is the one with Haden Christiensen)
It's a wonderful life
Citzen Kane
Blade Runner
There Will be blood
Old 02-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Out 1
Werckmeister Harmonies
Satantango
Berlin Alexanderplatz

For the first group, it's mostly that I've built them up in my head so much that I have to watch them under the perfect conditions which is hard to do given my work schedule/living with others/the length of many of them.
Not to put too much pressure on you, but Berlin Alexanderplatz really is one of the greatest films in the history of cinema, and I think it contains one of the few performances I would put up there with DeNiro in Raging Bull.

I don't know if you've ever had a three or four day weekend come after a long anxiety driven period work, and just burned through a TV show like Mad Men as a sort of decompression (perhaps one of life's greatest experiences, along with sleeping eleven hours but still waking up at four in the morning after a couple sleeplesss nights) but I really recommend you consider reserving Berlin Alexanderplatz for a weekend like that.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM
the big two for me are:

The Wizard of Oz
The Karate Kid (original)

My buddies give me shit all the time, cuz I am the "movie guy" of the group and they cant believe I haven't seen either of those. And before a few years ago I had never seen Top Gun, and they gave me shit for that!

I have plans to watch Wizard of Oz before the new Oz movie comes out, I own it on Blu Ray, I bought the big $70 box set that came out, just never sat down to watch it!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
I've sat down and tried to watch Bicycle Thieves 2 or 3 times but I've turned it off each time, it's so depressing.

I was trying to watch the imdb 250 at one point so I've seen almost all of the key ones listed there. I know this is highly subjective but if you've not seen The Searchers, Dr Strangelove, Grave of the Fireflies or any Chaplin (I like Modern Times the best) I'd get on that right away. Cinema Paradiso and The Third Man as well.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Quote:
2. Gone with the Wind
Don't bother.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Spirit of The Beehive
Log off and go watch it right now.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Gone With The Wind
The Searchers
True Grit(either)
The Third Man
Touch Of Evil
Woman Of The Dunes
The Apu Trilogy
The Blues Brothers
Stripes
Giant
Rebel Without A Cause
It's A Wonderful Life
Das Boot
Grapes Of Wrath
To Kill A Mockingbird
Spartacus
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Dubbs View Post
Don't bother.
The first half of GWTW is suitably epic and well worth seeing. The second half is weaker but I'd say it's worth seeing on the whole, for historical value if nothing else.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Gone With The Wind
The Searchers
True Grit(either)
The Third Man
Touch Of Evil
Woman Of The Dunes
The Apu Trilogy
The Blues Brothers
Stripes
Giant
Rebel Without A Cause
It's A Wonderful Life
Das Boot
Grapes Of Wrath
To Kill A Mockingbird
Spartacus
I haven't seen any of these either. Expect Gone With the Wind, I had to watch that fucking bullshit with my wife.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm not really embarrassed at not having seen different films, but there's quite a few on my list. Many of them have already been mentioned, like "Gone With the Wind" and the "Godfather" series. I guess I'm just not into a lot of so-called "classic movies".
Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Raging Bull
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Wow, if I were to sit down and make a list of all the Key films I haven't seen, I'd be here all day.

I say just watch what you're really interested in, what you really like. For example, I'm big on gangster/crime films - so I'll make it a point to always watch those.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
Wow, if I were to sit down and make a list of all the Key films I haven't seen, I'd be here all day.

I say just watch what you're really interested in, what you really like. For example, I'm big on gangster/crime films - so I'll make it a point to always watch those.
Have you seen State of Grace? If you like gangster films, that's a must.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Have you seen State of Grace? If you like gangster films, that's a must.
I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 AM
You wont be considered as big film buff until you see all of IMDB top 250,AFI top 100,BFI top 100,top 100 films in world/foreign language cinema,top 500 worldwide highest grossers,atleast 1 film in filmography of totalfilm's 100 greatest directors