Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 AM
http://www.filmtied.com/21-Jump-Street

Not bad, but if it really is the best comedy of last year (like many claim) then it was a terrible year for comedies. Great cameo from Depp and Tatum was surprisingly funny.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Went for the Trifecta tonight.

Seven Psychopaths

Mind Blown. Sam Rockwell gave one of the greatest comedic performances I've ever seen. Man.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Celeste & Jesse Forever

A romantic comedy with heart and brains, which I suspected would be the case given how awesome Rashida Jones is in all things. Here she writes and stars alongside Andy “I’m on a motherfuckin’ boat” Samberg, and it’s a breakout performance for her when her charismatic turn in I Love You, Man was often overshadowed (albeit necessarily) by the bromantic relationship of Rudd and Segel. However, as enjoyable as this was, the motivating factor at the centre of Celeste and Jesse’s divorce still eludes me. I just don’t get it. The joke is that these two are the best of friends, still have the urge to fuck on occasion, and are thus clearly perfect for each other… and yet they’re still getting divorced. Their engaged friends (Eric Christian Olsen and Ari Graynor) had it right in the pivotal scene at the beginning that lays the premise out for us – this is really fucking weird. There’s some intangible disconnect in there somewhere, but it doesn’t make any sense. Maybe it’s not supposed to? Anyway, after I frazzled my brain thinking about it for a while, I finally let it go and just got swept up in the journeys these two characters take in moving on from their dependence on each other, with all the hilarity and heartache that ensues. And what’s funny is I had “hilarity and heartache” written before I hunted down a poster for this space. Coincidence, yet… not. Sure, I could’ve used different words, but fuck it.

-> 8/10
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM

8/10
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
The Color of Money - This definitely is not as good as The Hustler but Paul Newman does give a good performance. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is also good as the girlfriend of Tom Cruise. The ending wasn't very satisfying given the buildup to a match between the two pool players but there were a few incidents earlier that were entertaining. 7/10
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM

6/10
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM
This is 40

8/10
I think Judd Apatow has really been coming into his own and a much better and more mature effort than Funny People. Good humor, real, hilarious and dramatic when it needed to be. I feel like this is what he wanted to pull of with Funny People.
My biggest gripe with it though is that it all kind of wrapped up too conveniently and the last twenty or so minutes felt tacked on and rushed.

Smashed

6/10
A solid indie drama but nothing special...even though I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul. And it was nice to see MEW show off her more serious acting chops.
Biggest problem is that some plot lines went nowhere and it all seemed a little shallow overall (for example, Paul's character could have benefited from more screen time and development)
Really wanted to like this one...oh well.

The ABC's of Death

NA/10
Well this really is a mixed bag...the good news is that there really is something for everyone (especially if your a horror buff) Bad news is there may be a lot that you are indifferent about. I feel like different people would like different segments for different reasons.
Here were my favorites:
-H for Hydro Electric Diffusion (well executed, and fun, for how bizarre it was)
-J for Jidai-geki (one of the 'odd' ones, but still pretty entertaining...never got bored)
-Q for Quack (great 'breaking the 4th wall' concept and very funny)
-T for Toilet (claymation but a fantastic balance of gore and comedy)
-X for XXL (probably the best all-around of the lot)
-Y for Youngbuck (my absolute favorite)

I wouldn't mind knowing other peoples favorites too, as some segments are definitely worth talking about.

Last edited by Bahs; 03-05-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 AM

The Dark Crystal(1983)-7/10
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahs View Post
I wouldn't mind knowing other peoples favorites too, as some segments are definitely worth talking about.
D Is For Dogfight is fantastic, it's also the only one I'd recommend bothering to watch.

Noobz - 7/10
Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Jack the Giant Slayer(2013)-8/10
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Nob Hill - A 40s musical drama with a love triangle between people of different classes. The film was decent but nothing too memorable. George Raft and Joan Bennett were probably the best parts of this but they've both made many better films. 5/10

The Naked Civil Servant - A short biopic of Quentin Crisp. There was quite a bit of dry humor but the story wasn't as entertaining as it could have been. 6/10
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Red Sonja (1985)

The third film in the Conan trilogy...well it pretty much was wasn't it. This film is directed by Richard Fleischer who also directed 'Conan the Destroyer', the same studio, Dino De Laurentiis Company, made all three films, Sandahl Bergman was in this film and 'Conan the Barbarian' and of course Arnie starred in all three.

I mean lets be honest here, Arnie plays 'Lord Kalidor', the character is virtually a Conan clone, I dunno why they didn't just make him 'Conan' and be done with it. I believe 'Sonja' comes from the Conan universe originally (I may be wrong) so why not?. I'm guessing there may have been copyright issues somewhere.

So its the same story again for this fantasy adventure, need I describe the plot?. A small band of goodies up against an evil baddie leader and all her baddie warriors who are all holed up in an intimidating fortress. Arnie rides around in his rather unattractive red sparkly jumpsuit (changes to a black number out of the blue half way through) whilst Nielsen sports a long red mullet cut, but she's still cute.

This is suppose to be the weakest of the Arnie broadsword adventures but personally I don't see it. Its no worse than the other two and gives you just as much visual sorcery. In fact there's more fantasy stuff going on here than 'Barbarian', giant pet spiders, giant skeleton bridges, a metallic sea monster thingy and a silly 'Flash Gordon' style baddie wizard. This film boarders more on other films such as 'Krull' and a bit of 'Willow' in my opinion.

Reasonable amounts of blood and limb chopping but not overkill. Everything looks a bit tacky later on in the film but again no worse than the other two films. Unfortunately there is an annoying kid in this film, kinda like 'Data' outta 'The Goonies' or 'Short Round' outta 'Temple of Doom' (same kid actor there), tends to give the film a more slapstick approach at times, 'Conan the Barbarian' was always the most grown up of the three.

At this point I reckon Arnie was possibly getting worried he may end up typecast as a barbarian meathead in fantasy films. I can see why this was his last as all three of these films are very similar and not overly wonderful frankly. Still the musical score was always in good hands with Morricone at the helm, how did they manage that?. As a kid I loved these films, nowadays the rose tinted shades can't quite save them, amusing and naff, oh and the baddie Queen is a lesbian. Oh yeah, the whole story is down to Sonja simply rejecting her advances at the start. fancy that haha.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
Red Sonja (1985)
Unfortunately there is an annoying kid in this film, kinda like 'Data' outta 'The Goonies' or 'Short Round' outta 'Temple of Doom' (same kid actor there), tends to give the film a more slapstick approach at times, 'Conan the Barbarian' was always the most grown up of the three.
You mean Data and Short Round are the same kid - Johnny Ke Quan - right?

Ernie Reyes, Jr. is the kid in RED SONJA - who is also the dude that The Rock fights in THE RUNDOWN, where he's thrown all over the place in the trees and gets his ass beat.
He's also a classic figure from the always-classic THE LAST DRAGON.
And I loved watching the TV show "Sidekicks" when I was young, because I started taekwan do at that age and loved to watch Ernie be a badass.

I also recall an interview where Arnie said he did this movie "as a favor to a friend" and he didn't really do it except to pay a debt to said friend. Whoever it was.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Ernie Reyes, Jr. is the kid in RED SONJA - who is also the dude that The Rock fights in THE RUNDOWN, where he's thrown all over the place in the trees and gets his ass beat.
Haha! I remember first seeing that scene and saying - "that's the dude from Surf Ninjas!"
Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Room 237 - 6/10

Compliance - 4/10

One of the most difficult films I've sat through.

Take Shelter - 9/10

Stoker - 7/10

Such a pleasure to watch, but it's sort of a polished turd. Wook has put painstaking precision in to harmonizing the visuals and sound here. I mean, it really is impressive. There's a particularly splendid shower scene which intercuts with a previous scene to triumphant effect. If I were rating it on a technical level then it would get top marks, but it suffers from a shoddy script. Also, Wook was running with a Gothic tenor with actors performing in a particularly cold manner, which actually comes across as stilted and left me feeling disconnected. Saying this, it's hard not to recommend a film that is, as said above, a bloomin' treat to sit through.

Last edited by viceus; 03-07-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM

21 and Over(2013)-6/10
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Safe

A Jason Statham movie, first and foremost. But Boaz Yakin brings to the table some unexpected visual panache, a few truly great one-liners, and a stronger underlying theme of redemption that gives Statham something to work with as an actor. His character, a down and out former cop turned cagefighter under the thumb of the Russian mob, starts out quite definitively on the bottom. You’re waiting for him to come to life for the first twenty minutes, but until then, he’s a bum. And he should be, quite frankly. No Transporter-like confidence advantage here. Now that’s a place you can build a story around. So when he eventually fights his way through Triads, Russian mobsters and a gang of crooked cops, it actually means something beyond just the usual “they wronged him, so now they gotta pay”. His rapport with Mei (Catherine Chan), the young Chinese girl who inadvertently saves him from a suicide attempt while being hunted by the bad guys, is a surprising strength for the movie. It came across as a gimmicky action hero/spunky kid sidekick trope in the trailer - and it is to some extent - but the two personalities mesh well. But yeah, okay, the action sequences are where the money’s at, and it shows. All of them are rock solid reasons to watch this if you’re an action fan, but it’s the incredible five minute shootout in a Chinatown gambling den that impressed me the most.

-> 7/10
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM
It's the Rage - A fairly poor film about one shooting accident changing the lives of several people. Jeff Daniels was decent but a lot of his costars weren't and the story was lacking. 3/10

48 Hrs. - This was a solid buddy cop film but I thought it would be funnier. I did like the relationship between Nolte and Murphy and the scene in the bar was really good. 7/10
Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 PM

I don't know what to really say about this film. On one hand it's completely emotionally painstaking, but on another its odd inclusion of musical notes leave me a bit confused.

8/10
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Oz the Great and Powerful (6/10)

The final act really saved this movie. It was clever, imaginative and tied into the original Wizard of Oz film in all sorts of neat ways. It also showcased the three witches more, they are the best part of the film. Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz really chew the scenery with their roles, Weisz was probably my favourite. Michelle Williams was lovely as always as Glinda. But this movie really, really took time to get going. The first act (Kansas + arrival to Oz) is really slow, filled with mawkish dialogue - the girl from Kansas who can't walk? LOL, seemed like something out of a parody - and even bad CGI. The sets and especially backdrops looked completely fake in the first few sequences. It was so distracting. It did get much better though. The china-girl was a great visual effect and also a sweet, likable side character. I still feel I'm being a bit generous with the grade, but at least by the end of the film it had justified its existence - moreso than some other long-winded prequels released lately...
Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 AM
The Master

This movie has some great scenes(like the scene when he first opens up to 'The Master') but overall it was a disappointing film to sit through. the scenes and dialogue felt uninspired. the speech that philip seymour hoffman's character gives about the dragon was the worst piece of dialogue I have ever heard from a pt anderson movie.

7/10
Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 AM

Videodrome(1983)-7/10
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Another masterpiece from Paul Thomas Anderson. 10/10
Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 PM

The Last Exorcism: Part II(2013)-4/10
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Rabbit Hole - A couple of excellent performances from Kidman and Eckhart in this tale of a couple trying to move on after their child's death. I liked Dianne Wiest as well in her supporting role. 8/10

Hotel Transylvania - Ugh. This just wasn't funny at all. It was actually pretty boring for the most part. 3/10
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM

7/10

5/10
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
The Blizzard

Offers some beautiful photography of wintry Russian landscapes, but as a drama it falls flat and feels twice as long as it actually is. I kept checking my watch, in fact. The twist in the final act was more or less nicely directed, if a bit of a random turn, but the central romance between the rich maiden heiress Mariya (Valentina Titova) and her Russian Army Officer suitor (Georgi Martinyuk) had no passion whatsoever. Or at least, I didn’t feel any. And the flashback story of Mariya’s heartache over an elopement gone fatefully wrong three years prior wasn’t any more interesting, since her love interest in that case, another young officer (Oleg Vidov) was a complete fucking nitwit. His big breakdown scene afterward was hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Sorry, Oleg. I’m sure the story read better on the page from where it originally came, but as a film that relies too much on intrusive narration that apparently decided the actors couldn’t be trusted to convey the story, it’s a modest – but still respectable on some levels - failure.

-> 5/10
Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 AM

Demolition Man(1993)-7/10
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM
THOR - 8/10

Even better than I remembered. I love my new sound system, too. OMG

Up next is CAPTAIN AMERICA. Just because.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Pitch Perfect

8.5/10

Oz the Great and Powerful

5/10
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Arbitrage - Richard Gere did a very nice job as a billionaire trying to cover up both a financial crisis and a car accident. Susan Sarandon was also very good as his wife. I didn't really care for the detective - he was too creepy. I didn't really expect that ending but I'm not sure if that's a good thing in this case. 7/10

I, Anna - This noirish thriller had some good characters - especially Charlotte Rampling in a lead role - but the story took a really long time to go anywhere. By the time anything exciting happened the film was nearly over. Most of the actors did a fine job with what they had to work with but the script wasn't on par with their abilities. 5/10
Old 03-09-2013, 07:54 PM

7/10

Forget Richard Roundtree and Fred Williamson. Rudy Ray Moore is the best star of blaxploitation cinema.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 PM

8/10
Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 PM
MONSTERS INC. in 3d - 10/10

Love this movie so much. The 3d is wonderful, with a great natural appearance and no "flashy" shit. Just, an added dimension for a greater ambiance.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
You mean Data and Short Round are the same kid - Johnny Ke Quan - right?

He's also a classic figure from the always-classic THE LAST DRAGON.
And I loved watching the TV show "Sidekicks" when I was young, because I started taekwan do at that age and loved to watch Ernie be a badass.

I also recall an interview where Arnie said he did this movie "as a favor to a friend" and he didn't really do it except to pay a debt to said friend. Whoever it was.

Johnny Ke Quan...yes.

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

The first film to get Arnie on the way to the man he is today, and the first of three very similar fantasy flicks. Based on a pulp comic character from the 30's this film franchise turned the idea on its head and into a cult spanning many different formats and influencing other fantasy films, it also helped some videogames along the way.

The plot is simple, 'Conan' is taken from his family who have been conveniently killed by a band of nasty warriors dressed in black. He is put into slavery and made to do hard labour for the rest of his foreseeable future. The torturous slavery makes 'Conan' big and strong despite the apparent lack of decent food, nutrients, fishfingers or milk. He eventually is sold into gladiatorial fighting where he becomes a brilliant battler and swordsman and wins his freedom. From there on he's off to avenge his families death, as you do.

Obvious premise but its an old film folks. Yes the film is old, back in 82 things were different, what you see now when watching is a horribly cliched, predictable, hammy, semi cheap looking mess, but back then it was fresh...ish. All the bad guys wear black and look a bit camp with their wigs and handlebar moustaches, you wonder why exactly these groups of bad guys always attack and kill helpless useless peasants, what's in it for them? why they always leave one kid alive to grow up and take revenge on them?? and what is James Earl Jones character actually up to? what's his goal? his plans? why do all those people follow him? etc...

Yeah I know I'm being picky, it matters not really, the film is old and all these barbarian films are pretty much the same, its all about the spectacle and fantasy right. This first film is definitely more adult than the rest, lots of blood splashing about with limbs being hacked off hehe good stuff. Yet despite that there isn't too much action really, more character development surprisingly and what action there is has some nice effects too, nice snake work and some nice animated spirits also.

To be honest I've actually always preferred the original 'Beastmaster' film over 'Conan'. There a few nice moments in this but really its pretty tepid, if only 'The beastmaster' starred Arnie. And what the hell was that huge wheel thing 'Conan' pushes for half his life suppose to be? a mill? a well? or merely for torture? a plan that backfired for 'Thulsa Doom' methinks.

In the end the final teasing image and narration about 'King Conan' is actually far more interesting and intriguing than the film that preceded it.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 AM

The Missing(2003)-7/10
Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Conan the Destroyer (1984)

So we've had basic plot idea number one: family killed, take revenge. This sequel goes with basic plot number two: given quest by ruler to find something, but its a trick...yes I just blew a huge spoiler so sue me.

Yep, the rather devious and clearly untrustworthy 'Queen Taramis' asks 'Conan' to go off and find a sacred object so she can awaken a God, hmmm I smell something fishy. So 'Conan' agrees because the evil Queen says she will resurrect his lover from the first film 'Valeria' if he succeeds, oh come on 'Conan' don't be dumb!. Did I mention this was all a big trick by the naughty Queen?.

The main draw here is the cast really, Arnie's team are a much more interesting group this time with the insane Grace Jones, annoyingly crap acting of Tracy Walter, Mako back as the obligatory team wizard, d'Abo as the young virginal Princess and ex basketball star Wilt Chamberlain, a very colourful bunch. They are all up against the gorgeous and stunning Sarah Douglas who as usual is doing what she does best, being a sexy evil villainous bitch, oh my!.

The main problem with this sequel despite its better looks, fancy titles, a bigger Arnie and overall slightly sexier production values, is the fact it was watered down. The film aims for more comedy, slapstick and visual buffoonery over blood n violence, nothing wrong with this I guess but for me its a thumbs down. The first film was more adult and gave the film a grittier nastier feel, this just feels like a kids adventure at times. Even with Basil Poledouris booming musical score (first films sounded like 'Total Recall', this sounds like its been extracted from 'Robocop') it doesn't make much difference.

I must admit to enjoying these films much more when I was but a mere sprogling. The fact its Arnie in the main role as 'Conan' saves the film from doom in my opinion as there isn't too much more on offer. There isn't much action of note, not much blood, set pieces are drab and the adventure a bit dull, the only thing to lift you is the nice monster sequence at the end (head looks a bit like the 'Brundlefly' creature from the Cronenberg film). That and Sarah Douglas being all sexy n evil (oh my Queen!), for me these films haven't aged so well and I still prefer 'Beastmaster'.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:39 AM
Last few days:

Let There Be Light -8/10
The Master -8/10
Heat -10/10
Elf -7/10
Incendies -8/10
Evil Dead (2013) -5/10
The Bounceback -N/A
Before Midnight -9/10
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM
CAPTAIN AMERICA - 8/10
As I said earlier that I'd watch it; well, I did! Great movie, honestly.

ROCK OF AGES - 7/10
Such a fun, and funny movie. Tom Cruise is great in it!

HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH - 8/10
I don't know how to categorize, nor explain this movie. The music is astounding for one thing. If I do put a band together in a few months like I hope to when I have the time, I will cover one or two songs from this soundtrack. It's too good to pass up.

FIRFLY:
"Ariel" - 8/10
"War Stories" - 10/10
"Trash" - 9/10
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Cloud Atlas

6/10
Too ambitious for it's own good.
Started to feel uninterested in it after about the halfway point.

Identity Thief

7/10
Not perfect, a lot of jokes didn't land, but really benefits from the two leads (Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy). They play off each other really well.
A big gripe is that the villains were not all that great, and were done away with too easily at the end.

Seven Psychopaths

7/10
A bit too disjointed and self masturbatory for my liking.
It did have some real great moments though.

Last edited by Bahs; 03-10-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Closed Thread