Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Jeremy Irons on gay marriage

Academy Award winning actor Jeremy Irons said Wednesday that while he doesn't have much of a strong opinion either way on same-sex marriage, he believes it poses interesting questions, including whether allowing same-sex marriage would open the door for interfamilial relationships.

"Could a father not marry his son?" Irons asked HuffPost Live host Josh Zepps. Irons argued that "it's not incest between men" because "incest is there to protect us from inbreeding, but men don't breed," and wondered whether same-sex marriage might allow fathers to pass on their estates to their sons without being taxed.

"It seems to me that now they're fighting for the name," Irons said of advocates for same-sex marriage as opposed to civil unions. "I worry that it means somehow we debase, or we change, what marriage is. I just worry about that."

Irons reiterated that he "[doesn't] have a strong feeling either way" on same-sex marriage, and said that he "[wishes] everybody who's living with one other person the best of luck in the world, because it's fantastic."

"Living with another animal, whether it be a husband or a dog, is great," he said. "It's lovely to have someone to love. I don't think sex matters at all. What it's called doesn't matter at all."

Irons also blasted New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg over the proposed restrictions on soda, describing himself as a "complete libertarian" and likening Bloomberg's policies to a "nanny state."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3009495.html

Totally disagree with him but he is entitled to his opinion. I'm still a fan of his. And on a sidenote, does anyone else love Dead Ringers? Personally I think its his best role and probably Cronenberg's most underrated film
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Irons View Post
"it's not incest between men"
Incest:
noun
[mass noun]
  • sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.
  • the crime of having sexual intercourse with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild.

As for Dead Ringers, definitely one of Cronenberg's best.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Academy Award winning actor Jeremy Irons said Wednesday that while he doesn't have much of a strong opinion either way on same-sex marriage, he believes it poses interesting questions, including whether allowing same-sex marriage would open the door for interfamilial relationships.

"Could a father not marry his son?" Irons asked HuffPost Live host Josh Zepps. Irons argued that "it's not incest between men" because "incest is there to protect us from inbreeding, but men don't breed," and wondered whether same-sex marriage might allow fathers to pass on their estates to their sons without being taxed.

"It seems to me that now they're fighting for the name," Irons said of advocates for same-sex marriage as opposed to civil unions. "I worry that it means somehow we debase, or we change, what marriage is. I just worry about that."

Irons reiterated that he "[doesn't] have a strong feeling either way" on same-sex marriage, and said that he "[wishes] everybody who's living with one other person the best of luck in the world, because it's fantastic."

"Living with another animal, whether it be a husband or a dog, is great," he said. "It's lovely to have someone to love. I don't think sex matters at all. What it's called doesn't matter at all."

Irons also blasted New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg over the proposed restrictions on soda, describing himself as a "complete libertarian" and likening Bloomberg's policies to a "nanny state."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3009495.html

Totally disagree with him but he is entitled to his opinion. I'm still a fan of his. And on a sidenote, does anyone else love Dead Ringers? Personally I think its his best role and probably Cronenberg's most underrated film
Bloomberg is a weasel.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 PM
While I don't think he meant for it to come off as hateful, comparing same sex marriage to incest, which is what he did, is definitely very insulting.

What he says is very odd because he's contradicting himself. On one hand, he says loving anybody is wonderful and he says he doesn't have strong feelings about either way. But on the other hand, he not compared same sex marriage to incest but he also admits to be concerned what this would for marriage.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM
What JI says, probably sounds better, because he has an awesome voice

I really do not like it when people (supreme court people as well) bring up, "where is the line? incest? beasts? ect"

To me, if two people marry is a church it is a marriage, Everyone who is joined by a government or on a boat is a civil union. I support gay people being able to be together and have all the rights as a married couple, but two gay people does not make a marriage. Sorry, you can not change the definition

Last edited by Erroneous; 04-07-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Only Jeremy Irons can say "I have no strong opinions of gay marriage", and then immediately follow up with a strong opinion on gay marriage.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
two gay people does not make a marriage. Sorry, you can not change the definition
From polygamists to wives being exchanges of property between patriarchs to this sudden fetish for strict monogamy, I guess technically you can. Frequently, at that, as long as it suits society's progressive needs. The Bible - and which version one chooses to take their definition from - sure as hell isn't giving you any legally argumentative leg to stand on, so... yeah, what was your point again?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Maybe he means that you can't change the definition of marriage again. Not again. If we change it yet again the whole damn thing might fall apart at the seams.

And that might not be far off from the truth. These people voicing concern over the sanctity of marriage are right. The sanctity of marriage is taking a big hit from all sorts of areas. I genuinely think there's a danger of marriage becoming an outdated concept, and while that's not the fault of people who are gay wanting to enjoy the same ceremonies as people who are straight, this makeover is correlated to the collapse of marriage because it's connected to the failing, fading idea of marriage stringency. I think the rigidity of marriage as a law, a religious foundation, and as a ceremony means a lot to a lot of people, and they're sad to see it invalidated. Obviously marriage shouldn't be limited to people who are straight and obviously marriage has been taking plenty of hits all over the world for all sorts of different reasons. But there are people out there who ended up getting married because it's the right thing to do, and the more that rightness opens up to all sorts of people in all sorts of different circumstances under all sorts of different definitions, the more and more it's demystified. I think lots of people are losing their solace in marriage because that's happening. Those people shouldn't be catered to anymore and they are going to have to suck it up and roll with the punches, but I get it.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 AM
Opinion is opinion, no one can condemn and insist what is right or wrong. A recent ruling in Brazil is once again bringing the political theater of concept of marriage to the front - and conservatives in the South American country are up in arms. BBC News reports that a notary in Sao Paulo has recognized a civil union between 3 individuals - two women and one man. According to Public Notary Claudia do Nascimento Domingues, the trio has lived together long enough to warrant family rights, and Brazilian law has nothing that forbids such an arrangement.