Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Agreed. Avengers & Amazing Spider-Man sucked balls. Dark Knight Rises was good, but certainly not as good as the 2nd one. Prometheus ruled, but yeah.... Not really interested in a whole helluva lot they've been putting out there this year.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch Stunner View Post
If you think 2012 is the worst movie year ever, you're either really young or just haven't seen enough movies. This year wasn't that bad and the summer was awesome.
Well one doesnt just go to every movie knowing they going to be silly and a waste of money

There hasnt been much to go and see at the cinema

But l have to say that there is two but l have already mentioned one the other is So mental which is coming out on October the 4th
Both are Australian movies
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch Stunner View Post
If you think 2012 is the worst movie year ever, you're either really young or just haven't seen enough movies. This year wasn't that bad and the summer was awesome.
Or the movies this year really suck ass.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM
My favorite films each out of the past 20+ years about 80% were initially released in the Oct-Dec months.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I've pretty much stopped going to the big Summer Blockbusters in theaters. 99% of them are either sequels, remakes, reboots, whatever.

Some of them can turn out to be good, but I prefer original stuff, which would mostly include independent and foreign films.

The best movies I've seen this summer are Beasts Of The Southern Wild and Moonrise Kingdom.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM
I did not see Ted. I heard that was funny.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Well l have been told that ted is a good movie

But there are a few dirty parts in the movie regarding this cute little bear
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 PM
I mean what's the point if you're just gonna say "so and so doesn't interest me". We could suggest good/great movies all day long and all you have to do is say "Looper doesn't interest me" and that's that. Every review I've found has said Looper is not only great but a very smart, well written sci fi movie. Who gives a shit that Bruce Willis is in it? It's Rian Johnson (Brick) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a sci-fi movie that's supposedly awesome.

Anyways, you're not entirely wrong. This year has been relatively underwhelming. Obviously it's not the worst year ever, but "2012: A slightly below average year for movies so far" and nobody comes in this thread. And how great that would've been.

I do like the timing of the thread though, well done on that. Who needs all the Oscary perstige films in order to judge a year? Not when you've seen 10 movies, half of which were about superheroes.

In summation, see Looper.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion. I would just ask Erroneous to list his Top 10 from this year compared to his Top 10 from last year or even the year before just to see how awful 2012 has been.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well l have been told that ted is a good movie

But there are a few dirty parts in the movie regarding this cute little bear
LOL. Yeah, he's cute but he can be quite shocking and at times obnoxious for the cute little teddy bear he appears to be.

Really fun movie, I loved it.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion. I would just ask Erroneous to list his Top 10 from this year compared to his Top 10 from last year or even the year before just to see how awful 2012 has been.
Well if you did that you would find that last years veiwing was better than this years movies

This year there seems to be a lack of actiing talent

Or there are movies that are remakes which after all you dont half of the time want to keep seeing movies like this

I do think that this thread is interesting plus
Scotch what are your best movies from last year and this year so you and Erroneous can compare your list and his
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
LOL. Yeah, he's cute but he can be quite shocking and at times obnoxious for the cute little teddy bear he appears to be.

Really fun movie, I loved it.
Well l couldnt beleive it when l seen the preveiws of ted and seen this little fella doing his stuff

hey Erroneous you should get this movie on DVD and tell us what you think of it

it is a funny movie
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 AM
That not strictly true, is it.

Things don't usualy start rolling until late September/early October, but Killer Joe and The Raid were two unexpected early shiners for me. Since, we've had The Imposter, Holy Motors, and Looper. I've tried my best to keep well away from films I know aren't to my liking and only put the time in for genuine interests.

Looking ahead, we have . . . Barbara, The Hunt, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Central Park Five, The Master, Tabu, Spring Breakers, Amour, Post Tenebras Lux, Berbarian Sound Studio, Beasts of the Southern Wild, A Royal Affair, Laurence Anyways, The Details.

Tons of potential and itīs more than likely others will crop up towards the back-end of the year.

Last edited by viceus; 10-02-2012 at 06:14 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow.. I thought I am the only one who felt that 2012 is the worst year for movies. I can't seem to find many movies watchable and most of which i saw turned out to be disappointing. I'm not saying all movies but most of them were not impressive :/
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM
I guarantee everyone who is saying this is the worst year for movies will be singing a different tune 6-8 months from now after they've got a chance to see mostly everything on netflix. Oct-Dec is always gold (usually a minimum of at least 5 top 10 type films) and we already have had The Avengers/DKR/Looper/Argo/Moonrise Kingdom/The Master already released that wouldn't look bad on any top 10 of the year on a movie list this century.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
I thought 2011 was pretty weak myself...2012 has been pretty solid and its looking like its gonna finish strong with the likes of Looper, Argo, Seven Psychopaths, Cloud Atlas, Lincoln and The Hobbit....and Django!!

Case in point: No disrespect - but Jonah Hill and the fat chick from Bridesmaids got nominated for Oscars...OSCARS! Shows it was a down year right there...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM
True that. If anything 2012 is already better than 2011. I had only one American film rated a 9 or higher I think I would already have 3 this year. I gave 7 films a 9 in 2010.

Last edited by creekin111; 10-12-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM
What still has yet to be released this year is...
Lincoln
The Hobbit
Les Miserables
Django Unchained
Wreck It Ralph
Hitchcock
Killing Them Softly
Cloud Atlas
Flight
Anna Karenina
Life of Pi
Zero Dark Thirty

And there are always one or two dark horse films that come out of nowhere that wind up being surprises not to also mention the few foreign films that come out.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM
So now that mostly everything from last year is on video now I think everyone has had a chance to see what they wanted to see. IMO much better than last year not as good as '10.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Yeah 2012 was awesome.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Yeah 2012 was awesome.
Its definitely hard to argue that it was anything below average (at least for modern standards). There were actually a few more surprises for me the last year than normal. Amore, Silver Linings Playbook, Skyfall, Beasts of the Southern Wild & The Perks of Being a Wallflower weren't really on my radar but I was surprised at how much I embraced them. So as expected there can be unexpected surprises year to year. Of course a few disappointments but not so much or as much as other years.

Last edited by creekin111; 04-27-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Least number of dvds I have bought from a given year ever. I still say 2012 was the worst year for movies in years.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Least number of dvds I have bought from a given year ever. I still say 2012 was the worst year for movies in years.
Well that's probably because you bought Blu-Rays instead or you're just waiting for them to come down in price like other years.

But seriously what 2011 movies do you have over...

Life of Pi
Lincoln
Argo
Django Unchained
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Amore
The Dark Knight Rises
Skyfall

?

IMHO outside of Hugo & The Artist I think those are much better than anything else from the prior year. Probably 2005 is the year I have the most amount of dvds but its far from my favorite year. For me I don't think its any indication perhaps because my taste is more refined now so I'm less choosy... or it could be that I'm a cheap ass now.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Well that's probably because you bought Blu-Rays instead or you're just waiting for them to come down in price like other years.

But seriously what 2011 movies do you have over...

Life of Pi
Lincoln
Argo
Django Unchained
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Amore
The Dark Knight Rises
Skyfall

?

IMHO outside of Hugo & The Artist I think those are much better than anything else from the prior year. Probably 2005 is the year I have the most amount of dvds but its far from my favorite year. For me I don't think its any indication perhaps because my taste is more refined now so I'm less choosy... or it could be that I'm a cheap ass now.
Smart ass. I am skipping blu ray.
I am renting Life Of Pi tonight.
Lincoln, I would not see more than twice.
Argo was OK and not something I would rewatch.
Django I need to buy
Skyfall and Dark Knight I have as well as The Avengers
Brave I have (kids)
That's it. The others are all one and done. I only buy what I really like and will see again and again. I don't just buy everything. I used to buy like 20 movies a year at least. Not much interests me enough to re watch over and over
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Jonah Hill got cast in movie that was really well-made and Moneyball was a way better movie than The Artist.

Moneyball was written by the writer who wrote Schindler's List and Aaron Sorkin who wrote and got an academy award for the social network.

I thought 2012 was a better year for movies than 2011

Quote:
this kind of confused me. list his top 10 from this year (2013) and compare it to his top 10 from last year (2012) or even the year before(2011) just to see how awful 2012 has been. maybe you meant 2013
Old 04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Smart ass. I am skipping blu ray.
I am renting Life Of Pi tonight.
Lincoln, I would not see more than twice.
Argo was OK and not something I would rewatch.
Django I need to buy
Skyfall and Dark Knight I have as well as The Avengers
Brave I have (kids)
That's it. The others are all one and done. I only buy what I really like and will see again and again. I don't just buy everything. I used to buy like 20 movies a year at least. Not much interests me enough to re watch over and over
Oooo... Life of Pi in HD!? My fav movie last year. I really don't know if rewatchability is a pure indicator of how much you like a film. Schindler's List is one of my top 10 films but I've haven't had the urge to watch it again as much as many others.

Lincoln deserves a rewatch down the line even if you have no desire to watch it again in the near future. IMHO Daniel Day Lewis had the best lead performance since his last lead performance in There Will Be Blood although with Firth's in the King's Speech sandwiched above both in between. Acting like that alone is worth watching again every now and then. Oh and Wreck It Ralph would be fun for the kids as well.

Last edited by creekin111; 04-28-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Still have quite a few to catch up on. So far, nothing I've seen has been as great as A Separation from 2011, but there still were some nice surprises for me this past year, which include:

Arbitrage
Celeste & Jesse Forever
Damsels In Distress
Headhunters
Safety Not Guaranteed
Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 PM
It's all opinion based. 2012 movies I bought....

American Reunion
21 Jump Street
Project X
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Lawless
Django Unchained
Skyfall
The Cabin in the Woods

I really love most of these movies. That's my preference. We all know that 2012 can't compete with the 1970s in terms of cinematic achievements but at the same time I don't think it was the worst 12 months in movie history. It's completely subjective.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Well yeah.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:22 AM
2012 was an awesome year for movies and there are still several movies I need to catch up.

Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Cloud Atlas, Hitchcock, Jeff Who Lives at Home, Ruby Sparks, Your Sister's Sister, ParaNorman, Frankenweenie, Arbitrage, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Moonrise Kingdom.

I still need to see all of the above. Even without any of them though, It's still an amazing year.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 PM
2012 Films I have Bought because I enjoyed them enough to buy them:
21 Jump Street
Amazing Spider-Man
Argo
The Avengers
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Cabin in the Woods
Dark Knight Rises
The Grey
Killer Joe
Looper
The Master
On the Road
Prometheus
Searching for Sugar Man
Skyfall
Spartacus: Vengeance
Ted

Still Want to Get:
Django Unchained
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Holy Motors
The Hunt
Killing Them Softly
Lawless
Life of Pi
Perks of Being a Wallflower
Rust and Bone
Seven Psychopaths
Steven Wilson: Get All You Deserve
The Intouchables
West of Memphis
Zero Dark Thirty

And that is still leaving off a lot that I saw which i do not want to own and others that I need to see, pretty solid output in 2012 if you ask me

Last edited by Hucksta G; 04-28-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM

I thought 2012 was a solid year.

We got Looper, The Master , Killing Them Softly , Django Unchained , The Dark Knight Rises etc etc.

Cant really complain here.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM
2012 movies that I own on DVD/Blu-Ray:

The Dark Knight Rises
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Grey
Looper
The Avengers
Snow White and the Huntsman
Men in Black 3
Safety Not Guaranteed (Redbox that I never returned)
The Odd Life of Timothy Green
Skyfall
The Bourne Legacy
Man on a Ledge
Gone
Safe House
John Carter
The Expendables 2
Your Sister's Sister (blind buy, haven't seen it yet)
Ruby Sparks (blind buy, haven't seen it yet)

DVD/Blu-Ray's that I accidentally own because I never Returned to Redbox:

Hope Springs
Jeff, Who Lives at Home
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Hitchcock
Anna Karenina
Moonrise Kingdom
Beasts of the Southern Wild
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Movies I Intend to buy:

Life of Pi
Django Unchained
Lawless
American Reunion
Seven Psychopaths
Trouble with the Curve
The Woman in Black
Zero Dark Thirty
The Amazing Spider-Man
Argo
The Impossible
Jack Reacher
The Possession
The Raven
The Sessions
Silver Linings Playbook
21 Jump Street
Wreck it Ralph
The Campaign
Flight
House at the End of the Street
Parental Guidance
The Words
Lincoln
Chronicle

I'll probably also end up blind buying Cloud Atlas when it comes out to Blu-Ray.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Reading through the thread again has been amusing to say the least, especially looking at how this summer has gone with movies.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Reading through the thread again has been amusing to say the least, especially looking at how this summer has gone with movies.
Me too. People forget sometimes I guess.

And yes you still can't count out 2013 until December 31st, 2013 but smh @ this year so far.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Well I just got back from Elysium and dug the hell out of it. But yeah 2013 takes the cake easily for the being the worst year for movies in a long time.

The only three films I've really liked this year are The Place Beyond the Pines, Only God Forgives and now Elysium.

Lets hope the fall and winter has some good ones.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Well I just got back from Elysium and dug the hell out of it. But yeah 2013 takes the cake easily for the being the worst year for movies in a long time.

The only three films I've really liked this year are The Place Beyond the Pines, Only God Forgives and now Elysium.

Lets hope the fall and winter has some good ones.
i actually liked other than those, europa report,the wolverine,byzantium,trance,spring breakers.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm sure 2013 has a chance to turn it around but if anything there has been a high number of poorly reviewed films this year. Much much more than usual it seems. Just as recently now as Getaway getting ripped apart by the general consensus. Razzies are gonna have a lot of snubs this year.

Getaway
Hansel & Gretel
Scary Movie 5
The Big Wedding
Stranded
The Last Exorcism Part II
The Canyons
Temptation
Paranoia
A Haunted House
Texas Chainsaw 3D
After Earth
The Haunting in Connecticut 2
The Smurfs 2
Planes
R.I.P.D.
The Colony
Grown Ups 2
A Good Day to Die Hard
Jobs
The Numbers Station
Love and Honor
The Purge
The Lifeguard
Identity Thief

There's more and plenty more left in the year to go.

... I mean... lord almighty...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm actually pretty happy with the 2013 films in my top 25 of the year so far out of the 41I have seen, bring on the next few months.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I can't believe everyone hasn't realized yet that 99.9% of the best movies come out Oct-Dec.
So now that its October we have...
Rush (technically Sept 27th but close enough )
Gravity (last week)
Captain Phillips (this week)
12 Years a Slave (after that)
The Counselor (after that)
Blue is the Warmest Color
Wolf of Wall Street
Nebraska
Inside Llewyn Davis
American Hustle
The Monuments Men
Saving Mr. Banks
Her

...etc. And again you always get the occasional great under the radar film between now and then.

Never judge a film's year by its summer.

Last edited by creekin111; 10-08-2013 at 10:50 PM..