Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Deathproof

I finally worked up the nerve to see this.

So... discussions? Thoughts? Did you like it, hate it? Why did Stuntman Mike want to kill those girls? What was the movie's purpose? etc etc etc...

I'll start it off. I suppose QT wanted to make an homage to those cheesy old stunt car movies, and he's made a fantastic one with his typical touch to it. That was the whole purpose to the movie, which is why I didn't feel cheated by the randomness of it. I've never seen any of thse old movies or TV shows, but I get a sense that this is what they would have been like. And I like how every now and then someone uses a cell phone or an iPod to remind us that we are still in the 2000s.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 PM
what cheesy old stunt car movies are you referring to? I honestly don't know any

I think Stuntman Mike was a psychopath
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 AM
I dont know about those movies, many of them are mentioned in the dialogue. Vanishing Point was one of them.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:38 AM
I liked Deathproof. In fact I liked it better than any of QT's other stuff since Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. I am not saying it is as good as his first two flicks (which are absolute classics IMO), but it is certainly the most like those films of all his other stuff. Which is probably why I like it the best of the rest.

Every time I watch a QT flick I keep hoping he will capture that lightning in a bottle that he did with his first two films again. And every time I am disappointed. But Deathproof came the closest to me.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Vanishing Point is not cheesy.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 AM
ok i think the essence of the thread has been lost (mind you, 'cheesy' need not be a bad thing, but i think that's another discussion). i only he meant QT seeked to reflect that style more than in any of his other movies.

rustysyringe, i agree with you to an extent. i love the fact that Tarantino did the cinematography himself. oh and there were some brilliant stunts in this movie.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:16 AM
Save for the extremely well done car chase at the end, this is easily one of the worst movies I've seen. So boring and tedious that it was almost painful to watch.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Hated it. Absolutely hated it. Easily Tarantino's worse film. The dialogue was awful and so was all the actresses' acting. The only saving grace was that there was a lot of hot eye candy which was nice. Oh and Kurt Russell was cool as Stuntman Mike but I didnt like
Spoiler:
how he got defeated. He became a complete bitch near the end which was disappointing. I really wanted him to kill off all those annoying girls. Oh well
Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Another one worth mentioning is Dirty Mary Crazy Larry - which they do mention in the film and that film isn't cheesy either. Not all grindhouse films automatically were cheesy or bad. There were some interesting stories being told with a very low budget.

Death Proof is a great homage though, loved it.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 PM
i would rate 3/5

It's his worst film*note i have not seen jackie brown

I thought the actress's could not handle the QT dialog very well which made QT dialog really bad and drag on. Kurt Russel made for a great creepy guy. The final chase was great though.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Okay, to answer your initial question (and I was pretty sure that you didn't mean 'cheesy' as that much of a pejorative but I still thought that needed to be noted), yes, this film pretty accurately captured the spirit of '70's action chase movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Hated it. Absolutely hated it. Easily Tarantino's worse film. The dialogue was awful and so was all the actresses' acting. The only saving grace was that there was a lot of hot eye candy which was nice. Oh and Kurt Russell was cool as Stuntman Mike but I didnt like
Spoiler:
how he got defeated. He became a complete bitch near the end which was disappointing. I really wanted him to kill off all those annoying girls. Oh well
Wow.

Just...wow.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:
I thought that was amusing. The first half of it was lacking a bit, but I like the movie overall.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Deathproof is half the movie experience IMO.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM
For those of you who missed seeing Grindhouse in the theater it kinda defeats the effect of watching it by itself. I felt Planet Terror with the fake trailers complimented each other really well. It was definitely one of the most unique experiences at the theater I've ever had.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post

Wow.

Just...wow.

Care to clarify?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 AM
The actual car chase sequence, was, what, fifteen minutes long - twenty at best? The rest was excruciatingly tedious dialogue between two equally insipid groups of girls. Hardly a great homage to the great car chase movies of the 70s.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 AM
True, but there is humor in the sheer inanity of it all.

And what a great soundtrack. It's not a great QT film, or even a great film at all, but it is certainly enjoyable. I think the fact that it had no "point" or no "resolution" is putting a lot of people off. I understand not a lot of movies can get away with that (a la American Psycho).
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 AM
I enjoyed it. Not so much the lengthy dialogue, could have chopped a lot of that out, but otherwise a cool film with cool cars. KR did a great job as Stuntman Mike.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Quote:

Care to clarify?
Not really. I think it's pretty self evident.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 AM
Quote:

Wow.

Just...wow.

I agree with almost everything he said about the movie.

Definitely QT's worst movie. His only bad one.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 AM
My problems with that post aren't really aesthetic.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 AM
I liked it, well loved I guess since I bought the film.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Love Death proof.i think its a cult classic,even though the haters hate it.its actually what its supposed to be.it is a homage to Grindhouse genre,b-movies,badass chick flicks,slasher,car stunt movies.B-movies depend more on Style rather than story.i really enjoy watching Death proof.i watch it quite often.it has cool dialogue,one of the best and realistic Car chases ever filmed,best gory Car crash scene,sexy girls and Stuntman Mike.first group of girls are bitchy,slutty who die,and the second group of girls are kind of good girls who kill the villain.i will never get bored of it despite watching it many times
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Love Death proof.i think its a cult classic,even though the haters hate it.its actually what its supposed to be.it is a homage to Grindhouse genre,b-movies,badass chick flicks,slasher,car stunt movies.B-movies depend more on Style rather than story.i really enjoy watching Death proof.i watch it quite often.it has cool dialogue,one of the best and realistic Car chases ever filmed,best gory Car crash scene,sexy girls and Stuntman Mike.first group of girls are bitchy,slutty who die,and the second group of girls are kind of good girls who kill the villain.i will never get bored of it despite watching it many times
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Not really. I think it's pretty self evident.
lol
quick teasing me Buck. I want to hear your thoughts on this. Did you actually think this turd of a film was decent?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 PM
It's definitely QT's weakest effort in my opinion, but I don't think it's anywhere near as the worst thing I've seen in theaters. There are definitely memorable sequences ("Hold Tight"/"Ship's Mast Sequence") and the plot as a whole is engaging for most of the screen time. There is a sense of immense repetitiveness once the first act ends and the second begins, but the actors are all engaging that i didn't have that big of a problem with it.

If it's on, I'd gladly watch it all the way through.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM
I had already seem Planet Terror so I couldn't complain too much but Deathproof was tough to sit through
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM
what a piece of mother fuckin shit
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Spoiler:

Totally agree there. He turned into a complete pussy.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
I recommend seeing Jackie Brown. It's not great or anything...but it's an entertaining, fun movie. I'm not feeling any of QT's "newer" stuff. Inglorious Bastards was OK but kind of run of the mill.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM
He didn't want to kill those girls, he had to kill those girls. *evil laugh* It's the "only way he could shoot his goo."

I think it's QT's best film. Seriously, it's his most entertaining film by far. And using a car as the slasher's weapon... genius.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Deathproof lacked the signature Tarantino energy. The chase scene at the end was great, and one of the best car chases i've ever seen. But the rest of the movie was just lame in my opinion. Even Tarantino himself was disappointed with Deathproof calling it his worst film.
I don't hate deathproof, but I don't really plan on watching it again.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:
I really wanted him to kill off all those annoying girls. Oh well
Haha. That would've been cool.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I think almost any Hollywood director would trade their left nut if their worst feature was "as bad" as Grindhouse. I refuse to even acknowledge Death Proof as separate from Grindhouse because it wasn't released in theaters that way. I almost look at it like judging his segment in Four Rooms of course to a lesser extent because it was short. They totally butchered up the dvd release. It should have always been kept together with the fake trailers.

Last edited by creekin111; 05-05-2013 at 07:36 PM..