Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 PM
"Mastered in 4K"

Sony is set to roll out the first 10 "Mastered in 4k" on May 7.
Here are the titles,prices and cover arts. As more 4k blurays come out. I'll add them here.I'll also update this thread with info too

The Karate Kid (2010) SRP: $19.99

Glory SRP: $19.99

Ghostbusters SRP: $19.99

Battle: Los Angeles SRP: $19.99

Angels & Demons SRP: $19.99

Spider-man (2002) SRP: $19.99

Taxi Driver SRP: $26.99

The Other Guys SRP: $26.99

Total Recall (2012) SRP: $ 35.99

The Amazing Spider-Man SRP: $40.99

[updated 4/5]
Added the links for BestBuy.com which is displaying the films as "Bluray". 'Ghostbusters' and 'Battle-Los-Angeles' links are for Amazom.com, because [as far as I can find] Amazon is only listing theses two on their site...

[update 4/8]
Serengeti: Nature's Greatest Journey (Limited Edition - Filmed in 4K ULTRA HD) Blu-ray SRP: $19.99
Release date: June 6,2013

[update 4/10]
Galápagos: The Mysterious Islands Blu-ray (Filmed in 4K ULTRA HD) SRP: $19.99
Release date June 6,2013

Last edited by Ruly2; 04-10-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
what is Mastered in 4k mean?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Does anyone even own a 4k TV or player?

Honestly, many theaters show movies in 2k. Do we really need 4k for our 30-60 inch screen TVs? You won't even see a benefit.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post
It's four times the resolution of 1080p.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Well to put it simply, 4K is a new video format that uses an image with a resolution comprised of roughly four thousand vertical lines, hence the acronym 4K. In actual fact the precise resolution of 4K video is 4096 x 2160, which is why it also sometimes referred to as 4K2K, offering over twice the number of vertical lines compared to standard high definition video and effectively creating an image with more than four times the resolution. To put this in perspective, a standard high definition image has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and is capable of delivering an image comprised of just over 2 million pixels. However a 4K image, with has resolution of 4096 x 2160, can deliver an image that is comprised of a whopping 8.8 million pixels.
http://www.avforums.com/home/What-Is-4k.html
Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 PM
with these 4K titles.. do I have to buy all new hardware.. is there a 4K specific player and a 4K specific TV??

I own an LG 3D Blu Ray player and an LG 3D TV, and if I have to purchase all new equipment, i aint doin it!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
with these 4K titles.. do I have to buy all new hardware.. is there a 4K specific player and a 4K specific TV??

I own an LG 3D Blu Ray player and an LG 3D TV, and if I have to purchase all new equipment, i aint doin it!
Yeah, you have to buy a new TV & a new player. It's the equivalent of upgrading from DVD to BluRay. You need a TV to handle the large resolution, and a player to play it.

The cheapest TV cost around $8,000.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Quote:
These are normal Blu-rays, just taken from a 4k digital master/source.

Looks like the Blu-ray equivalent of Superbit DVDs.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM
dates got moved up by 1 week

All 10 'Mastered in 4K films were officially announced on amazon.com today today..
They were dated for May 7th But now they will release on MAY 14th. more info when i get home...

[update 12:59pm]

Here is the Amazon link that displays ALL of the "Mastered in 4k" blurays".

I should also note that Best Buy STILL has all 10 films listed as having a street date of MAY 7th

Last edited by Ruly2; 04-08-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
These are not pure 4k movies.

It says "mastered in 4k", which means that these blurays are sourced from a 4k source.
So what? There are shitloads of movies mastered in 4k/8k, but they can't be played at native resolution on standard blu ray players.

If you have a 4k TV/projector, and you have a 4k "upconverter", it's not going to play at native 4k resolution.
The video quality is minimal at best.

This is just like the "Superbit Edition" DVDs back in the day. They claim these will have an improved color gamut to produce nicer picture at 4k resolution...
This means virtually nothing. All this is is a repackage of a bare-bones edition of movies, utilizing the entire disc for only video and audio.
This is fine, but here's the kicker: there are already a LOT of movies that have done this, it's just not posted on the box.

Take for instance AVATAR. That had no extras on the disc, just the movie.

As for audio: bluray is already uncompressed, source-quality audio. You could play a bluray in a movie theater and it would sound as good as any movie in the theaters. There is no audio difference.
So you're gaining NOTHING with audio on these.

As for video: the most relevant note for these discs is that the bitrate is as high as possible for video.
In the end, this won't make a difference at all in actually display quality. Today's encoding processes are much more proficient, allowing crisper display/resolutions with less memory usage than before. Just because the bitrate number is "higher" it doesn't mean it's "better".

Even with a 4k player, upconverted blurays are still playing 1080p. They are not going to automatically transform into a higher display resolution.

Until there are actual 4k bluray players, there will always be "mastered in 4k" movies. We already have hundreds of titles like that, usually boasted with classics that were scanned into that resolution, then transferred to a bluray (at lower, standard bluray resolution).
You will read about these boasts on movies such as PATTON, WIZARD OF OZ, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, SAMSARA, TAXI DRIVER, etc....

In short summary:

This is not new, they are NOT "native" 4k resolution blurays. They are bare-bones re-releases in which all the information coded on the disc is ONLY video/audio for the movie.
There will be zero difference in sound, and video quality would be marginally better in SOME cases, if no difference at all.

There will never be 4k movies on standard bluray players.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
These are not pure 4k movies.
I believe.. There was one film that was filmed in pure 4k.. and that would be 'Serengeti: Nature's Greatest Journey' (6/4/13). 'The Hobbit[4k]' probably wont come out until the "extended edition" does..
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruly2 View Post
I believe.. There was one film that was filmed in pure 4k.. and that would be 'Serengeti: Nature's Greatest Journey' (6/4/13). 'The Hobbit[4k]' probably wont come out until the "extended edition" does..
Blu-ray players are 100% INCAPABLE of playing native 4k resolution.
These are normal blurays, but bare-bones editions to use all the disc space for video/audio.

The movies are put onto bluray - in 1080p - from a 4k master, which could have been natively shot with a 4k digital camera, or was scanned at that resolution (or higher) from the film negative for preservation.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Tech companies need to get their collective shit together with HD/3D/4K....

I'm not old enough to remember: was it ever this bad with VHS and BETA?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
Tech companies need to get their collective shit together with HD/3D/4K....

I'm not old enough to remember: was it ever this bad with VHS and BETA?
No. VHS & BETA was like the Bluray vs HD-DVD battle. The battle only lasted a few years (if that). VHS won, and then it was the standard for over 30 years.

So far, in 15 years we have gone from VHS->DVD->HD-DVD->Bluray->3D Bluray->And now the upcoming 4K "bluray replacement".

I have personally replaced my movie collect three different times. I'm tired of it. The moment I build up my movie collection, it becomes obsolete and I have to replace it with some new format.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 AM
It has more to do with the ever-increasing leaps in technology.
This could be a very long post, but....

Beta/VHS was the first form of home entertainment movie viewing. And recording. Before that, it was rare to be able to watch movies at home whenever you wanted to.

CRT televisions existed for literally DECADES without a dramatic upgrade in video quality. There was black and white, then color TV... after that, flat screen CRTs, with slightly better analog display.
Laserdiscs were also a pretty good niche market, with video quality comparable to DVD (in some cases "better", because it was still an analog source, meaning that it looked better on non-digital displays) and it was around since 1979 or so, blooming at its peak around 1985 - 1999.

This is when home video rentals became commonplace.

DVD was the first format to be available in digital form, and was a dramatic leap in video/audio quality. About this time, too, PCs became more affordable to everyone, in which you could have a proficient personal computer for less than a thousand bucks.

From 2000-2004, DVDs finally took hold with consumers and began the decline of VHS dominance. Also, DVDs were the first to release movies at affordable retail cost, pushing the outrageous VHS rental prices of $100-200 per copy for rental stores into obsolescence.

It was around 2004 the first HDTVs started to come out. Digital, "hi-def" displays allowing better-than-DVD resolutions.
Now, of course, it's commonplace.

Blu-rays were on sale around 2006, right? Well, DVD had a ten year shelf life by that point. VHS was retired after about 25 years(?). Hell of a run.

Thing is, since DVDs came out it's become easier to acquire shit on the internet, download it, rip it to your (now cheap) PC, etc....

As for blu-ray, it's the first time you can have sound quality that matches - even surpasses - that of regular cinemas. It's also great to watch on very large screens, even a 100+ inch screen. DVDs can't do that. They look "ok", but nowhere near as good once you get above 42" displays (even smaller you can tell the difference).

4k isn't widely available yet. It's for super-rich high end consumers, and even so most people won't notice the difference in video quality from 1080p to 4k when it DOES come out. Which will probably be in another 5 years, that's my guess.

As for "I keep replacing my collection..." Well, VHS to DVD was quite a leap. They were also completely different formats, so yeah, switching over was a hassle for many.

However, I believe DVDs will still be around for a long time to come because it's a digital format, and is fully compatible with all bluray players.
I guarantee 4k players in the future will also play 1080p blurays, and I'm 99% sure they will all handle DVDs as well. This means even with new equipment, you don't have to buy 4k movies if you're happy with what you've got.

Also there are plenty other ways of acquiring movies in great quality these days. It's not like going VHS to DVD in any way. Times - and technology - have changed.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Other "Mastered in 4k"

Godzilla[1998] [UV + 4K-Mastered BLURAY]
SRP:$19.99
Release date: July 17

Other JULY 17th 4K BLURAYS
Men in Black
Spider-Man 2
Moneyball
Pineapple Express
Talladega Nights

All films above were found on videoeta. Only Godzilla's info shows
[update]: links found on Walmart.com..

Last edited by Ruly2; 05-11-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 AM
This Is The End
After Earth
Elysium

all say "Mastered in 4k" on the back of their Blurays. more will be added

Last edited by Ruly2; 10-07-2013 at 06:38 AM..
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM
ya, i saw that Mastered in 4K on the back of This Is The End and was wondering what that meant... cuz 4K discs require different players, not just Blu Ray players... so I wonder if the original print was mastered in 4K and then downgraded for a 1080 Blu Ray.. if that even makes sense?!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Quote:
ya, i saw that Mastered in 4K on the back of This Is The End and was wondering what that meant... cuz 4K discs require different players, not just Blu Ray players... so I wonder if the original print was mastered in 4K and then downgraded for a 1080 Blu Ray.. if that even makes sense?!
All I noticed on the back on AFTER EARTH was that the "expanded sound"
can be achived by using a "xvYCC"-compatable TV or Bluray player.

found this wiki page that might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XvYCC..

Justt brefly reading it. It sounds like theses two blurays [This is the End & After Earth] may be "Upconverted version" of the
actual 4K Blurays [$35,gold and blue covers]. I'll watch it tonight and let you know..

The next Bluray that will say on the back "Mastered in 4k" will be Elysium on 12/17.

Last edited by Ruly2; 10-08-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Old 11-21-2013, 07:14 AM
[[updated] Original Robocop [4k Bluray]

Robocop (Remastered)
Release Date: 1/21/2014
Amazon.com: 4K Bluray

[Updated on 1/8/2014]
Best Buy's release date is set for January 5th,2014

Here is a Fill list of special features:
Spoiler:
  • Remastered Theatrical Feature Blu-ray
  • Q&A With the Filmmakers (2012) [42min 36sec]
  • Flesh and Steel: The Making of Robocop [36min 55sec]
  • 1987 Featurettes:
    • Shooting Robocop [7min 59sec]
    • Making Robocop [8min 1sec]
  • The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Animator Phil Tippett [6min 2sec]
  • Deleted Scenes:
    • play all [2min 51sec]
    • OCP Press Conference [1min 17sec]
    • Nun in the street interview [16sec]
    • Topless Pizza [27sec]
    • Final media break [51sec]
  • Villains of Old Detroit [16min 59sec]
  • Special Effects: Then and Now [18min 22sec]
  • Robocop: Creating a Legend [21min 9sec]
  • Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg [38sec]
  • Commentary with Director Paul Verhoeven, Writer Ed Neumeier and Executive Producer Jon Davison
  • Theatrical Trailer [1min 38sec]
  • TV Spot [31sec]

[updated on 1/8/2014]
Best Buy.com now lists 'Robocop Remaster' as 1/5/2014. Also I updated spec above
to include the full details of "4k mastered bluray"

Last edited by Ruly2; 03-16-2014 at 01:19 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM

Spider-Man 2 (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy) (2004)
Source: Amazon
Release Date: April 22nd,2014
Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM
I dont know how I forgot about this:

CAPTAIN PHILIPS [Mastered in 4k]
Release date: 1-21-2014
Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Fargo [4K REMASTERED]
Release date: APRIL 1ST
source: Amazon.com

Rain Man [4K REMASTERED]
Release date: TBA
Source: Amazon.com

The Man With No Name Trilogy [4K Remastered]
Release Date: APRIL 1ST
Source: Amazon.com

**These three films above are all being release by Fox Home Video********

Last edited by Ruly2; 02-04-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 AM
AMERICAN HUSTLE (MASTERED IN 4K)
Release date: 3/18
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what is happening. It's like your friend who has a Lamborghini and is quite proud, but your sorry ass lives in a suburban school zone, so it won't mean a whole lot when he comes to pick you up.

It's worth pointing out that with current players there is basically no difference between whether something is sourced 2K or 4K. 2K is more than plenty for the state of things.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Found this on Amazon Canada:

Robocop Trilogy (Bilingual) [4K Blu-ray]
Actors: Peter Weller
Release Date: May 6 2014

No word on the US version and I fell that the remake will come out on this date too but nothing is confirmed on that yet.

Here is another " MASTERED IN 4K" movie that is coming out:

Spider-Man 3 [4K MASTERED] - 4/22

There are some i forgot to mention when they came out:

Grown Ups 2 [Mastered in 4k]* - released on Nov 5th 2013
Smurfs 2 [Mastered in 4k]* - released on Dec 3rd 2013

* see the back of the bluray combo pack

Last edited by Ruly2; 03-16-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Old 03-18-2014, 03:57 AM
Terminator 2 please!!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Lots of good explanation posts here on 4k...imo, its a high end gimmick...

and if you "kinda" want to experience 4k at home RIGHT NOW and with..you are there feeling?

Step 1 - Get out your reference quality blu ray and pop it in.....Avatar usually will work AWESOME
Step 2 - If you have an LCD tv with a "smooth motion" setting..ie, the setting where you get that reality or soap opera effect (which for some movies, I personally love)..set your TV to that setting

You now have as close to a 4k experience you can get with what ya already have at hand.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Sept. 16
Ghostbusters: 30th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray]
Ghostbusters II: 25th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray]
Theses will arrive together in a digipack. Both films are "Mastered in 4K".

Last edited by Ruly2; 06-05-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Aug 19th
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [says "Master in 4k" on the back of the 3D bluray]

I dont know how I forgot about this:

MONUMENT MEN [Mastered in 4k]
Released on: 5-20-2014

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-10-2014 at 08:52 AM..
Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington [4K-Mastered] -12/2/2014

Fury [4K-Mastered] -1/27

My Best Friend's Wedding [4K-Mastered] - 2/3

Last edited by Ruly2; 12-07-2014 at 03:26 PM..