Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 AM
Mark Kermode; My favourite critic

I've been listening to Mark Kermode for years, ever since the long dead BBC Radio 1 show Clingfilm, which aired when I was in my early teens. Dr Kermode (his PHD is in horror fiction) is now the resident critic on BBC Radio 5 Live, and his hour long review slot every Friday on Simon Mayo's show is a hillarious, if often rambling, weekly treat.

Two things set Kermode apart, particularly in this age, when any uninformed 'fan' can hold forth their opinons on movies via the net. First is his encyclopaedic knowledge, you'll really have to dig to find something Kermode hasn't seen, and doesn't know a lot about. Second is the fact that, even when I don't agree with him (and I often don't) I believe every word that comes out of his mouth is his honest to God, nigh unshakeable, opinion. That's particularly valuable, while quote whores run rampant in both online and offline press.

Kermode become especially noted for how cross he can get when he doesn't like a film, and for two years running 5 Live's website has hosted the 'Adrant' calendar, with a different Kermodean rant behind each window (my particular favourites include the Wicker Man remake, Little Man, The Holiday and Sex and the City).

Kermode's taste can be baffling (He named High School Musical 3 as one of his favourite films of 2008), but he's always entertaining and informative. He's the kind of critic I aspire to be.

Classic Kermode
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Sex and the City
Daddy Day Camp

A-Z Archive

Video Blog

Kermode Awards 2007
Kermode Awards 2008
Old 01-05-2009, 05:41 AM
He's the most honest, informed and naturally hilarious film critic out there.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 AM
i quite like kermode, sometimes he's a bit too obessesed with cult films which aint really my thing but whatevs when he caines a film it makes for a good watch. i also enjoy his input on newsnight review, no so much on the culture show. i don't like that show much at all

tony rayns is probably my favourite i'd say
Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
His review of Mamma Mia is genius. He admits to crying... TWICE !!! I remember thinking the exact same thing as him when Stellan Skarsgard appeared as one of the possible Babypapa trio.

Also Pierce Brosnan's singing really is the funniest element of any movie I've seen this year. He makes every innocent lyric sound like a death threat.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post

Also Pierce Brosnan's singing really is the funniest element of any movie I've seen this year. He makes every innocent lyric sound like a death threat.
so your saying mamma mia is worth the watch bc? my sis got it for mama for xmas, i might have to check it out

then i'll kill myself

Last edited by Cosimo; 01-05-2009 at 08:13 AM..
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Motta View Post
so your saying mamma mia is worth the watch bc? my sis got it for mama for xmas, i might have to check it out

then i'll kill myself
It's truly awful but extremely enjoyable...the 'plot' frequently goes off on ludicrously random tangents in order to shoehorn another Abba classic into the proceedings. There's a subplot involving a supergay black cocktail waiter trying to get off with Meryl's pug-ugly malnourished orange friend who must be 500 years old if she's a day! She ends up singing "Does Your Mother Know" to him and her dancing involves showing her stringy undercarriage and flaunting her tin ribs. It's the stuff of nightmares.

But yes, it's incredibly funny...for all the wrong reasons. Pierce's tuneless droning takes the cake...and I'm still wondering how the hell Stellan got involved !? I wonder if the casting director saw him listening to tales of old men being wanked on public transport in Breaking The Waves...or maybe it was when he was raping Kidman in Dogville?

"I tell ya...that foreign guy would be perfect singing Take a Chance On Me with Mrs Overall! Get his agent on the phone goddamnit!"

Weird shit.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/si...gon/2717142334

oh no! skarsgard is quality, he was a fiend of the highest degree in dogville and now he has to do this mumbo jumbo just to pay the bills, oh lords

i ates musicals, i ates em so much!!

might have to watch his scenes though, just to see the carnage for myself
Old 01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I dont agree with him much of the time, but he is a very entertaining critic. I agree that he seems like one of the most honest critics out there.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM

I'm thrilled to see a thread on Kermode. I've been listening to his podcast for a year, I think he's one of the most insightful and entertaining critics we have. I agree too when it comes to his honesty.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-08-2010 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
He's entertaining and honest, but that's about where it ends. He's so completely full of himself that it's hard to take anything he says seriously. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe we need some lighter, more entertaining critics, but he's not exactly what I would call a trustworthy critic. I mean, High School Musical 3??? Come on now.
I think one of the best attributes to being a respected critic is being sure of your ratings. He stands firmly behind everything he says. He also is insanely enthusiastic about every film he reviews. There is nothing worse than a critic saying "well, i guess some will like it. i didn't really put much thought into what it is trying to say." (like half of the new 'At the Movie' reviews, in so many words).

Also, his points on HSM3 were totally valid i think. I also think a lot changes once you become a parent. You start giving HSM and Twilight slack for completely different reasons (i.e. they aren't full of sex, swearing and excessive violence).
Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-08-2010 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 AM
I kind of agree with Bourne101 here. I don't use Kermode as a barometer of what to see, except on horror movies, as he REALLY knows his shit there. Even if you don't agree with them though I think any critic who is so passionate and honest about movies, and seemingly so immune to hype (he was one of the few not to wildly overpraise films like Iron Man and The Dark Knight last year) is to be respected and encouraged.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 AM
I watched his Pirates review, and he's good but does go on a bit long. The video gives me mixed feelings about how it shows the crew loafing around and ignoring it. I'd probably rather hear it on a podcast or something. He's funny in that review. I liked he's sensibilities.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:45 PM
His Bride Wars rant was pretty funny.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Kermode reviews Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen for his video blog.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I want to thank you SAI for introducing me to Kermode. I subscribe to the podcast and listen to his film reviews every week. He is such a great critic and I love his rants. Listened to the entire Edinburgh podcast last night and the "Transformers 2" review was classic.

"I haaaaaaated it"
*thunderous applause*

Old 06-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Hah! The video review was perfect. That's how I feel about everything Michael Bay does.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM
I've said for years and years - Mark Kermode and Kim Newman should team up for an Ebert & Siskel type show. Why nobody has capitalised on this is beyond me.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
My first introduction to him was via Bourne's mention of him in his Inception review and ever since he's been my go-to critic. The guy clearly gets cinema.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 PM
He is one of my favorite critics, if not my #1 favorite. His enthusiasm, knowledge of cinema, and openness to all genres distinguish him from most critics. The only downside is that his show is 2 hours long as opposed to the original 1 hour that it used to be a few years ago. I find that any kind of podcast that is more than an hour long tends to run out of steam. Therefore, I am a little more selective of the reviews/interviews that I listen to, but that doesn't make him any less great.