Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I saw it once in 1997, but I recall enjoying Mimic.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 PM
This one has already been made, and there's an onset picture, looks pretty good.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/fir...uropa-project/
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 AM
That does look promising. Thanks for posting, overwatch, dude. I like this bit.

"The only thing more intimidating and unpredictable than the trip itself is what the team will encounter upon arrival..."

Side note. Only just today I got Apollo 18 to watch. May post comments about it tomorrow. I have a gut feeling that ti will suck. But I will remain optimistic.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Saw this thread and muttered to myself, "Yeaaah, buddy!" I love this little atmospheric, sometimes "spacey," sci-fi/horror subgenre.

And thanks for the shout out on one of my old reviews GOW, I can't believe you remembered my Dante01 and Eden Log reviews. I really enjoyed Eden Log and Dante01 is worth a look, although it does drag considerably and feature a very strange resolution.

I've been trying to get a hold of Cargo for about six months now--guess I'll have to order it online.

Oh, and here's an upcoming film that may appeal to you GOW (although it isn't spacey): Frost.

Plot description:
Quote:
"A young couple, physiologist Agla and filmmaker Gunnar wake up at a glacier drilling camp only to find the camp mysteriously abandoned and their co-workers gone. When searching for the lost team they realize they’re up against an unknown, deadly force."
Seems like there's a bit of potential... It's on my radar for sure.

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 02-12-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Funnily enough I couldn't finish Apollo 18 or Cargo, and I always take the effort to finish films I start watching.
We mustn't forget that prometheus definitely looks like it belongs in this genre of films.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I really did not care for Apollo 18.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
God of War, I am writing a space/horror (actually a few) script at the moment. So this thread therefore, is awesome.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Saw this thread and muttered to myself, "Yeaaah, buddy!" I love this little atmospheric, sometimes "spacey," sci-fi/horror subgenre.

And thanks for the shout out on one of my old reviews GOW, I can't believe you remembered my Dante01 and Eden Log reviews. I really enjoyed Eden Log and Dante01 is worth a look, although it does drag considerably and feature a very strange resolution.

I've been trying to get a hold of Cargo for about six months now--guess I'll have to order it online.

Oh, and here's an upcoming film that may appeal to you GOW (although it isn't spacey): Frost.

Plot description:

Seems like there's a bit of potential... It's on my radar for sure.
Hey, Cappy. Frost does look and sound like something we would dig for sure. I too am gonna keep an eye out for this one. Thanks, dude.

I saw Eden's Log. I did like it but didn't understand the ending. I loved the atmosphere to the film. There were times when I was a bit confused. But overall, I did enjoy the theme.

I got a hold of Cargo at Cronos' recommendation. And I enjoyed it also. Not too sure if you will like it. But it's most definitely worth at least one viewing.

I still have not seen Dante101. But I will

Oh, and you write cool reviews, dude.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Funnily enough I couldn't finish Apollo 18 or Cargo, and I always take the effort to finish films I start watching.
We mustn't forget that prometheus definitely looks like it belongs in this genre of films.
Cargo is very interesting. And I also enjoyed Apollo 18. And yes, Prometheus most definitely falls into this category. Can't wait.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Quote:
I really did not care for Apollo 18.
Granted, it's odd. But is this based on true events? Or is that all BS for dramatization purposes? I enjoyed it for what it was. But I doubt I will watch it again any time soon.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
God of War, I am writing a space/horror (actually a few) script at the moment. So this thread therefore, is awesome.
Sounds juicy, man. do tell us about your script when you can. I love sci-fi-survival horror stuff both in games and movies.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 AM
So I watched Love (2011) and unfortunately its not very good. It's a cross between Moon and Solaris, but is not as good as either of those films. It looks great for the little money they had, but the lead actor isn't great, neither is the music (which appears to be a major selling point of the movie). But the cinematography is pretty great, and the set is really effective. So looks quite good, but is pretty uninteresting.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Granted, it's odd. But is this based on true events? Or is that all BS for dramatization purposes? I enjoyed it for what it was. But I doubt I will watch it again any time soon.
Apollo 18 is about as real as The Blair Witch Project.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Ok, so there isnt enough of these movies around. Is anyone familiar with any kind of literature in the "space-horror" genre?

I read Sphere a long time ago. Not awful.. It was Critchon, basically.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Two flicks pop in my head;

"Moontrap" (1989)
Very Borg-like critters, plus Bruce Campbell and Walter Koenig. Still not on DVD. The crew of the space shuttle explore a derelict in earth orbit. They find something terrible and a mystery that leads them back to the moon. The mechanical beasties are football sized and look quite menacing when put all together.

"Within The Rock" (1996)
There's a rogue moon heading towards earth for Deep Impact, the only way to prevent this Armageddon is to drill on the rock and set off explosives to work a jets to alter its course. As they excavate for the incendiaries they find a fossil of an unknown creature. As it turns out this isn't petrified, it's a rock monster! The crew still has to meet their deadline to save the planet, plus manage to stay alive from the beast. This is a low budget feature, but for whatever reason, I like it. It's on DVD.

Man, I haven't thought about "Moon 44" or "Dark Side Of The Moon" in ages.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 PM
SOMEBODY is getting prepared to watch Prometheus!

Sunshine rivals Alien as the absolute greatest fucking Science Fiction film I've ever seen.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM
can someone please give me a list of good romantic comedy from 2005-2011? like these movies that ive seen:

date night
killers
the switch
valentines day
the bounty hunter
the proposal
shes out of my league
the ugly truth
17 again
national lampoons van wilder
just friends
THE CHANGE-UP
SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE
just go with it
life as we know it
the 40-year old virgin
500 days of summer
when in rome
hes just not that into you
4 christmases
crazy stupid love
the backup plan

thanks alot in advance, 5 stars for best answer
i have the list of movies 2011: http://www.isongs.pk/2011-movies/
but i like more
Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by safia1230 View Post
can someone please give me a list of good romantic comedy from 2005-2011? like these movies that ive seen:

date night
killers
the switch
valentines day
the bounty hunter
the proposal
shes out of my league
the ugly truth
17 again
just friends
THE CHANGE-UP
SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE
just go with it
life as we know it
the 40-year old virgin
500 days of summer
when in rome
4 christmases
crazy stupid love
the backup plan

but i like more

Quote:
No, it's all baloney. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on it though--it held my interest throughout, being the sci-fi/horror geek I am, but I'd never watch it again.

Finally watched Cargo as well after ordering it online. I dug it. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but in an interesting way. I might write a review once I have more time on my hands.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by safia1230 View Post

date night
killers
the switch
valentines day
the bounty hunter
the proposal
shes out of my league
the ugly truth
17 again
just friends
THE CHANGE-UP
SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE
just go with it
life as we know it
the 40-year old virgin
500 days of summer
when in rome
4 christmases
crazy stupid love
the backup plan

but i like more
Idiot
Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Apollo 18 is about as real as The Blair Witch Project.
I thought the Blair Witch Project was true
Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Quote:
No, it's all baloney. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on it though--it held my interest throughout, being the sci-fi/horror geek I am, but I'd never watch it again.
Same here. But I kinda liked it. I too won't be watching again for a long time.
Quote:
Finally watched Cargo as well after ordering it online. I dug it. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but in an interesting way. I might write a review once I have more time on my hands.
Yes. Please do. You are very scarce, Cappy. I am glad you enjoyed Cargo. I also enjoyed it. Cronos also recommended it to me years ago.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 AM
So, I finally saw Dante01. And I didn't mind it at all. It took me 4 consecutive nights to get through it though.
But only because I was exhausted all week. Not a bad flick for what they did with it. The limited sfx were good.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Two films coming out next year that fit in with the genre that I am looking forward to (other than gravity of course):
Europa - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/
Last Day on Mars - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1709143/
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Two films coming out next year that fit in with the genre that I am looking forward to (other than gravity of course):
Europa - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/
Last Day on Mars - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1709143/
They both look pretty cool, dude. Thank. Should I add Prometheus to this list?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 AM
you coud check out pitch black or maybe doom.not quite in the same bracket as the three you listed but they are both good solid sci-fi/horror movies
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM
dan in real life
intolerable cruelty
nick and norahs incredible playlist
stranger than fiction
run fatboy run
the ex
hope this list helps
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
SOMEBODY is getting prepared to watch Prometheus!

Sunshine rivals Alien as the absolute greatest fucking Science Fiction film I've ever seen.
are you kidding.sunshine is a pretty good movie, however ,alien is one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made .it is universally accepted as one of the milestones of current science fiction and rightly so.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambilliam View Post
are you kidding.sunshine is a pretty good movie, however ,alien is one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made .it is universally accepted as one of the milestones of current science fiction and rightly so.
It's all subjective sir.

Prometheus is in that upper echelon as well. Top 5 Science-Fiction films for me all-time:

1. Alien
2. Sunshine
3. Prometheus
4. The Terminator
5. Predator
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 AM
So by now I'm sure we've all seen the trailers for both Gravity and perhaps the lesser known Europa Report as well.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
So by now I'm sure we've all seen the trailers for both Gravity and perhaps the lesser known Europa Report as well.
I actually saw Europa Report 2 days ago on a dvd screener my friend gave me. I had forgotten about this topic and your comments about the film. I enjoyed it alot. It is filmed like a documentary most of the time. And it manages to capture a very claustrophobic and scary atmosphere. I think alot of people will say it's boring, dumb and stuff like that. But I thought it was very thought provoking. If you do manage to see it, please let me know what you think of it. The last few minutes are pretty cool. I wont give away any spoilers.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
It's all subjective sir.

Prometheus is in that upper echelon as well. Top 5 Science-Fiction films for me all-time:

1. Alien
2. Sunshine
3. Prometheus
4. The Terminator
5. Predator
more like sci-fi horror flicks.
i might add Aliens at nb 2 ,but maybe aliens is considered an action movie scifi rather than scifi horror.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Quote:
I actually saw Europa Report 2 days ago on a dvd screener my friend gave me. I had forgotten about this topic and your comments about the film. I enjoyed it alot. It is filmed like a documentary most of the time. And it manages to capture a very claustrophobic and scary atmosphere. I think alot of people will say it's boring, dumb and stuff like that. But I thought it was very thought provoking. If you do manage to see it, please let me know what you think of it. The last few minutes are pretty cool. I wont give away any spoilers.
i just watched europa report, i found very engaging and nice to look at, keeps u guessing till the last minute.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambond View Post
i just watched europa report, i found very engaging and nice to look at, keeps u guessing till the last minute.
Yes. I also enjoyed it very much.

Now there's another one on the horizon. It's called Last Days Of Mars. It looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_C8_xmixrg
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Well I just posted a big reply about Europa and Gravity but this crappy website crashed, and I lost it. I can't be fucked typing it again. But does anyone know of any future space thrillers that are coming out soon.