Old 05-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Antichrist (Yay or Nay)

So folks lets talk Antichrist! Anyone else absolutely love the hell out of this film?

Plot: After their child dies, a grief-stricken therapist and his wife seek respite at their cabin in the woods -- where very strange things begin to happen.
I sure do. I thought the performances were great (esp Gainsbourg) and I thought the direction was one of the best of 2009 (its my 3rd faorite film of 2009, right behind 1. Moon and 2. District 9)

Anyways, Dafoe was excellent in this as well and was great as the creepy manipulative husband.
I applaud the actors for going the extra mile and rreally putting themselves out there. Kudos to them!

And now lets talk about Lars Von Trier. What a great job he did here with directing this film. I cant even start to name off all the fucked up shit that went on in this film. And I have no clue how he came out with this film lol. There were a lot of gorgeous shots in this little film esp the ones out in the misty woods. Just beautiful.
I gotta give it up to Lars for going the extra mile & not holding it back.

9/10

Oh and who else loved the creepy little fox?

"Chaos Reigns"

So damn good haha

Thoughts?

Last edited by echo_bravo; 05-16-2013 at 01:44 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM
To address what you brought up, Dafoe's performance is great, but Gainsbourg is the one who truly steals the show. Some have argued Dafoe was the antichrist because of his constant need to manipulate and control, and Gainsbourg is the victim (although her actions would say otherwise). And I've also heard the same idea reversed. I think both of them represented stereotypes for their respected genders. Dafoe represented the notion men are controlling, manipulative, and don't convey emotions. Gainsbourg represented women as overly emotional, sex driven, and unpredictable.

Some have regarded Trier (aka Terrance Malick's evil brother) as a misogynist, but I would wholeheartedly disagree. The women in his movies are often empowering and mislead by their male counterparts. In Antichrist, you have a woman is grieving after the death of her son which she feels completely responsible for. Also mix in that she's clearly psychological unstable and her husband acting her personal therapist is only plunging her further into insanity.

When you add in the additional horror elements like a talking fox ripping his intestines out, or a crow who ultimately betrays a man, you have to question what these things represent. I personal thought the three beggars were representing the three wisemen from the biblical tale. Instead of bringing gifts, they each want something or each represent a stage from the seven stages of grief.

I'm glad to see someone else loved this film. It's easily in my top 5.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM
My opinion is whatever is between Yay or Nay...
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
My opinion is whatever is between Yay or Nay...
that'd me "Meh"

But the Boner scene of this movie still haunts my every dream!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
that'd me "Meh"

But the Boner scene of this movie still haunts my every dream!
Yep I remember that and the clitoris scene well.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 AM
This movie was insane beyond the realm.

I love it though. The performances were very well played, intense and realistic. The actors alone must have drained themselves emotionally playing these roles. Then again, professional actors do this for a living.

The graphic content was realistic enough as well. Of course...shoot me if that ever really happens, that had to have been medically researched because I don't think I could live through anything like that and hope I never have to.

Willem Defoe is one badass incredible actor and is it just me...or does he look exactly the same in every movie??? Not that's it a bad thing. I especially loved his performance in the action packed film "To Live and Die in L.A.", but that's a non-horror related jewel.

I give A-C a 8.5 rating out of 10 overall.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM

Really glad I'm not the only that absolutely loves the hell out of this movie.

And yeah aceofspades, Dafoe is a really underrated actor. Have you seen Shadow of the Vampire? Personally I think thats his best performance by far.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM
absolutely loved this movie. super eerie, trippy, great acting and directing.

also loved melancholia.

really excited for nymphomaniac.

checking out dancer in the dark this week.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 AM
nay nay nay, the most revolting and pointless film I've ever seen
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
nay nay nay, the most revolting and pointless film I've ever seen
Why is it pointless?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I won't say it was pointless, but it went a little too far with the intensity and graphic visuals for my taste.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth View Post
absolutely loved this movie. super eerie, trippy, great acting and directing.

also loved melancholia.

really excited for nymphomaniac.

checking out dancer in the dark this week.
You should also check out Godville, Europa, and the Five Obstructions if you haven't already. All great!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Big NAY!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
You should also check out Godville, Europa, and the Five Obstructions if you haven't already. All great!
i got into Von Trier with Antichrist, then Melancholia. I figured Dogville, Europa, Element Of Crime, etc were a lot less accessible, but based off of the reviews for Dancer In The Dark and Dogville, I got a lot of catching up to do from Lars.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth View Post
i got into Von Trier with Antichrist, then Melancholia. I figured Dogville, Europa, Element Of Crime, etc were a lot less accessible, but based off of the reviews for Dancer In The Dark and Dogville, I got a lot of catching up to do from Lars.
Five Obstructions is probably the most accessible of the three I mentioned. It's a documentary about creativity, and it's very good. The other two are great too and definitely worth a watch if you liked Antichrist and Melancholia.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Really glad I'm not the only that absolutely loves the hell out of this movie.

And yeah aceofspades, Dafoe is a really underrated actor. Have you seen Shadow of the Vampire? Personally I think thats his best performance by far.
Shadow of the Vampire? No, I have not seen that one....yet. I'll be sure to check it out.