Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Silent Hill

Just finished watching this for the first time since it came out and I'm once again reminded of how terrifying and atmospheric it is. I did not play the games, but my friend is a huge fan and told me that they were incredibly terrifying. Judging this film merely on the grounds of cinematic presentation of horror I'll have to say that this is one of the best horror films of the 00's.

I'm also reminded of The Mist when I watched this.

I thought Christophe Gans did a solid job with the material. Essentially every sequence is chilling.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 AM
It's really a nice movie.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 AM
I thought it was okay. One of the better video game adaptations. Still not as good as the Silent Hill 2 video game, probably the best horror game ever made in my opinion.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 AM
This and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within are the best video game adaptations. And I would personally argue Max Payne as well. But I'm like the only one who loved that movie.

About Silent Hill, I will say that I enjoyed the quiet, eloquent eeriness of the first two thirds more than the over the top climax. Still a great movie though with an AMAZING production design and art direction, fantastic cinematography and excellent use of sound. And a solid central performance from Radha Mitchell.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM
I would hardly call Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within a video game movie. I mean yeah, there's the name, but it's not like the games at all. Not thematically, not story-wise, or anything. Final Fantasy has always combined science fiction and fantasy whereas the movie is pretty much straight-up sci-fi.

I didn't like it that much, to be honest. And not for the reasons I mentioned. I just didn't think it was good.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Silent Hill will forever be one of those polarizing horror films that get shat on by pretty much everyone of "intellectual" repute and that I'll gladly stand up and say "eat a bag of dicks" to defend. After all, who can get under someone's skin better than Pyramid Head?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
I thought it was okay. One of the better video game adaptations. Still not as good as the Silent Hill 2 video game, probably the best horror game ever made in my opinion.

This.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Silent Hill will forever be one of those polarizing horror films that get shat on by pretty much everyone of "intellectual" repute and that I'll gladly stand up and say "eat a bag of dicks" to defend. After all, who can get under someone's skin better than Pyramid Head?
The bits in the games with him are horrifying. He can't be stopped. You just have to stall until you can get away. Very frightening, making the player completely powerless.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
The bits in the games with him are horrifying. He can't be stopped. You just have to stall until you can get away. Very frightening, making the player completely powerless.

It also didn't make sense for Pyramid Head to be in the movie because his existence was representative of the main character in the game.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 AM
It takes me 3 days before I can sleep well. This movie keeps on annoying my mind.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
It also didn't make sense for Pyramid Head to be in the movie because his existence was representative of the main character in the game.
I've heard this often, but the film mythos abandons the games entirely (until the sequel attempted to patch certain elements up.) In the films, Pyramid Head is a guardian to Alessa and therefore his presence makes sense. He is symbolic on an entirely different level, not akin to the game universe.

Silent Hill is my favorite horror movie. I was lucky enough to have caught it opening weekend upon its original release, and I was blown away. The atmopshere is stunning and adds to the unsettling nature of the film. I love the game references, particularly the camera angles and creatures. The score is straight from the games and enhances the creep factor. As far as I'm concerned, it really is the best video game adaptation--Final Fantasy: Advent Children would be the second.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
I've heard this often, but the film mythos abandons the games entirely (until the sequel attempted to patch certain elements up.) In the films, Pyramid Head is a guardian to Alessa and therefore his presence makes sense. He is symbolic on an entirely different level, not akin to the game universe.

Silent Hill is my favorite horror movie. I was lucky enough to have caught it opening weekend upon its original release, and I was blown away. The atmopshere is stunning and adds to the unsettling nature of the film. I love the game references, particularly the camera angles and creatures. The score is straight from the games and enhances the creep factor. As far as I'm concerned, it really is the best video game adaptation--Final Fantasy: Advent Children would be the second.
Good point. I did enjoy the movie, and thought it was a pretty good adaptation. But I just wish it could have been something even more grand. I would have loved it to have been written by the writers of the game, with an original Yamaoka soundtrack. A completely new story. Or I would have wanted it to be a very faithful adaptation. Instead it just felt like a lazy combination of the first three games. But I still really enjoyed it.
But you're right, it is probably one of if not the best video game adaptation.