Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandgurl View Post
I have never had a tip.
Well have you ever had a job as a waitress?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandgurl View Post
I have never had a tip.
So then I take it you just never let anybody cross the bridge?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
I have worked in the food industry and it is very unrewarding. I so did not work in a tollbooth!

Haha!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I think mandatory tipping is crap.
I believe everyone should be paid a fare wage, but if you are in the service industry you shouldn't expect a tip just because you are a server or bartender, etc.
A tip is an extra thank you for being pleasant and attentive.
I'm always willing to tip, my girlfriend thinks I am too generous, all you have to do is be friendly, but a shitty server is going to get zero from me.
There have been times that I have left nothing and the server deserved exactly that.
I've worked in tourism for 15 years, people not tipping comes with the territory.
With some people it's just their culture and you have to roll with it, dealing with other cultures is part of the territory.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 AM
Alright, this is probably going to be a long post, so I hope somebody actually decides to read it.

Coming from a former server, the fact that you are expected to tip is pretty much shit. I am a very generous tipper if the service is great. I look at it this way; I am paying at least double for a meal that I can make at home, if you can't provide good, proper service, why should I tip you?

Now I have rarely ever stiffed somebody. The most recent time (which was back in April), I was out to dinner with a friend and the service was just terrible. It was honestly the worst service I have ever had in my entire life. Add on top of that, she was completely miserable. During our meal the manager came over to our table and asked how everything was going. I didn't want to totally throw this girl under the bus. At first I thought she may have just started because she seemed a tad flustered, even though she only had five tables, including us. I know how it is when you first start as a server and have no experience, it is seriously hard fucking work and they don't get enough credit for what they do. So anyway, I asked the manager if the girl was new and he replied no. So I explained to him the laundry list of things that have gone wrong and also told him that I was a server at Applebee's and that just wasn't how guests should be treated. He apologized quite a few times and said he would have a talk with her. Right after he left the table, she came over to grab our bill. When she came back to give me the change (and mind you, I was still going to tip her. Not a huge amount, but I didn't want to be a total dick), she literally slammed the money next to me on the table and said in the most bitter, sarcasm tone I have ever heard, "thanks guys! Have a wonderful night! And I'll make sure to come visit you at Applebee's!" Needless to say, I was pretty floored. First off the manager shouldn't have talked to her about this while we were still there and second off... REALLY?! I wanted to cunt punch her, seriously. So I complained to him AGAIN and he took my name and my number and nothing came of it. I went back a few months later, and I had to be seated in her section because she was waiting on all the tables behind me, but I had a different server, so she must have remembered me and passed my table off to somebody else. I was never so pissed off at someone who was waiting on me. It was ridiculous.

When I'm out at a restaurant, I really don't expect a ton. Obviously if there is something wrong with the food or it sucks, it's not the servers fault and I would never bitch them out for it or penalize them. If you are friendly, act like you care and THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL, make sure my fucking drink stays full, you're golden. That is one thing that pisses me off the most is the drinks, especially when it's gone and they keep walking by and just aren't paying attention.

But of course customers are dicks too. I'll never forget this customer I had during my first week of serving on my own. He was a rich snobby guy and acted like he was totally better than me. He asked about this random dish on the menu, which I haven't had anybody order before and I wasn't sure what came on it. I looked at the menu and told him (he for some reason took offense to this, but whatever). He also ordered a cup of coffee. So when I put his order in, I went to get his coffee and whoever took coffee last never brewed more and it was empty. So I made more and explained to him that I was making a fresh pot and it would just be a few minutes. Now, I was really busy this night (if I remember correctly it was New Years Eve) and like I said, it was my first week. I totally forgot about the cup of coffee. He flagged me down about ten minutes later and I apologized and grabbed it for him. After his meal and after I gave him his bill, I got him a to go coffee. It wasn't much, but I felt like shit I forgot his coffee and tried to right my wrong a bit (I also didn't charge him for it). WELL, turns out this fucking prick complained to me manager about the whole thing. He also complained that I didn't charge him for his coffee and also gave him a to go coffee. REALLY? I try to do something nice and you complain? Fucking asshole. I got a write-up for that.

People do have to give credit to the servers though, it's a much harder job than it looks. There is a ton you have to do and there is a ridiculous amount of multitasking going on in your head. A lot of people aren't cut out for it. They get paid shit (I got $5 an hour, which I guess is more than what is the average from what you guys have said) and they literally make their money in their tips. Now I'm not complaining because I made AWESOME tips. I was working two serving jobs last year and would usually make about $200 a day between the two of them, and these were just shit chain restaurants (Applebee's and Friendly's). If it wasn't for those tips, I definitely wouldn't be able to live on the $45-$75 paychecks I would get every week.

Sorry for the book guys. I hope someone reads the damn thing.

Last edited by Moviefan02000; 06-11-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 AM
I read your long story, Movieman, and it was better than many movies I've seen!

I don't recall many times where I didn't leave a tip. I hate the forced gratuity charges that are hidden in small print on menus, though.

In terms of politeness: I understand that the job is hard. I ordered a $25 prime rib at this restaurant on Saturday, for example. It came out looking good, but actually it was flash-cooked, not marinated, not "medium-rare" more than "uncooked raw" and was so fatty and grisly that I literally could NOT eat it.
Worst steak. Ever.
I had about four bites, then on the fifth bite I just kept chewing and chewing. A couple minutes later I put the undissolved meat into a napkin, wrapped it up tightly and waited for the server to take away my almost completely uneaten steak.
I couldn't even cut it!

So the waitress comes by and says "You finish this?"
"Yeah," I said. "It was so fatty I couldn't even cut it."
She immediately seemed to get defensive and curtly apologized.
I just replied, "Don't worry, it's not your fault. That's how it goes."

One time I was at a restaurant at 1:00am, had dinner. I waited and waited and WAITED for the server to come by so I could ask for dessert. After about 15 minutes, I was just amused by the amount of time he was taking ignoring me. I would look straight at him as he walked by, and instead of calling out - he was walking briskly by - I just wanted to see how long it would take him to ask if I'd like a) a refill on my drink and/or b) the check.
I wasn't expecting him to ask me if I'd like dessert at this point.
After at LEAST 20 minutes, I was fed up. I waited a good ten minutes for him to come by again, and he never did.
The restaurant wasn't busy at all, either.
Total amount of time waiting was thirty minutes, minimum.

I just went up to the front till and paid what I owed. With an extra dollar, because I didn't have exact change. With the check he haphazardly threw on my table when he served my dinner.

As I was outside, I saw him freaking out, thinking I'd dined and ditched.
Well, fuck him. He didn't even deserve that fucking 80-cent tip.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 06-11-2013 at 06:38 AM..
Old 06-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I read your long story, Movieman, and it was better than many movies I've seen!

In terms of politeness: I understand that the job is hard. I ordered a $25 prime rib at this restaurant on Saturday, for example. It came out looking good, but actually it was flash-cooked, not marinated, not "medium-rare" more than "uncooked raw" and was so fatty and grisly that I literally could NOT eat it.
Worst steak. Ever.
I had about four bites, then on the fifth bite I just kept chewing and chewing. A couple minutes later I put the undissolved meat into a napkin, wrapped it up tightly and waited for the server to take away my almost completely uneaten steak.
I couldn't even cut it!

So the waitress comes by and says "You finish this?"
"Yeah," I said. "It was so fatty I couldn't even cut it."
She immediately seemed to get defensive and curtly apologized.
I just replied, "Don't worry, it's not your fault. That's how it goes."
Well thank you, sir!

As far as something like that goes, I definitely would have complained. True, it isn't the servers fault, but it's a fault that should have been corrected. I'm sure they would have given you no issue on exchanging it for something else, or for them to make you another steak. At the Applebee's I worked at, we seemed to have to worst cooks ever. They were always fucking up orders. I'll never forget this guy who wanted his steak medium and it was literally blood red and still mooing. I like my steak medium rare but holy shit, this was nasty.

Even if you got something you just didn't care for they would exchange it for something else. They would usually bitch behind their backs of course but it was never an issue.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Okay. Let's try to be clear on this: No one is making less than minimum wage. The 2.14/hr is the base pay, plus tips.

Federal Minimum Wage

As of 2011, the federal minimum wage for wait staff is $2.13 per hour plus tips, and the general federal minimum wage rate is $7.25. If the total of your tips plus your hourly base rate do not equal at least the federal minimum of $7.25 per hour your employer must make up the difference. In addition, your employer may not classify you as a tipped employee if you receive less than $30 in tips per month. If you do not qualify for tipped employee classification, the minimum amount your employer can pay you is $7.25 per hour.

(link)
Like I said, I'm Canadian, and was unsure how it worked in the United States. I worked in a restaurant where the waiting staff made under minimum wage, so it must work differently. Simple as that.

Also, shit, even with the CDN to USD conversion, your minimum wage is low. Damn.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
The working man is not meant to succeed. He is meant to slave over those who do.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Do people care about the rules around here? lol Move or lock this thread already or at least stop bumping it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 PM
What is so wrong with this thead? Seriously...
Old 06-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Its in the wrong forum. It should be in politics. Or at least keep politics out of it. Sorry I don't make the rules.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Politics in this thread are minimal. If anything its in between Rant and Misc. Its surely not a Political statement/conversation/debate of any kind. It seems fine where it is, but thats just my 2 pennies.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Sure no slippery slope about talking about minimum wage. None at at all. By the way I know you are working to post on here for free but if you're going against the rules Mr. Blo will ban you. You see, property rights > worker's rights. Maybe we can get a message board poster union going and get a government imposed minimum wage to post on these message boards?

Last edited by creekin111; 06-24-2013 at 11:45 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 AM
I honestly didnt intend for this to get political. My bad
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
It wasnt... but it seems certain people are lobbying to encourage it to become such.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Hey its not your fault. This could reasonably be a personal psychological look at tipping but instead some want to exploit their politics. Sometimes you can't help it people just want to throw politics into everything.

"My dog died today"
"Good, now the job creators over at Alpo won't be lining their pockets."

Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
"My dog died today"

bwhahaha
Old 06-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
"My dog died today"

If nothing else... people will laugh. Thats nasty.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetEnLow View Post
Well have you ever had a job as a waitress?
No. I am a layer of bricks. Shouldn't I get a tip for building your house?