Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM
summer 2013 box-office predictions

since there's only a month left till iron man 3 i thought we should start predicting the box-office right now and pray that this cold weather goes away and i could start drinking slurpee again.

iron man 3 ($400 Million)
the great gatsby ($100 Million)
peeples ($50 Million)
star trek into darkness ($350 Million)
epic ($120 Million)
fast and furious 6 ($230 Million)
the hangover part 3 ($220 Million)
before midnight ($10 Million)
now you see me ($45 Million)
the purge ($50 Million)
after earth ($120 Million)
the internship ($70 Million)
man of steel ($260 Million)
this is the end ($80 Million)
the bling ring ($20 Million)
monsters university ($300 Million)
world war z ($75 Million)
the heat ($140 Million)
white house down ($150 Million)
despicable me 2 ($200 Million)
the lone ranger ($120 Million)
grown ups 2 ($110 Million)
pacific rim ($65 Million)
the conjuring ($55 Million)
R.I.P.D ($90 Million)
red 2 ($85 Million)
turbo ($105 Million)
the wolverine ($170 Million)
2 guns ($125 Million)
300:rise of an empire ($60 Million)
the smurfs 2 ($130 Million)
elysium ($95 Million)
planes ($63 Million)
we're the millers ($57 Million)
kick-ass 2 ($77 Million)
percy jackson 2 ($97 Million)
the to-do list ($36 Million)
the mortal instruments ($78 Million)
the world's end ($40 Million)
you're next ($25 Million)
closed circuit ($15 Million)
getaway ($35 Million)
satanic ($30 Million)
one direction ($75 Million)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 PM

OK, it's that time of year again...

Domestic Totals:

Iron Man 3 ($411 Million)
The Great Gatsby ($88 Million)
Peeples ($39 Million)
Star Trek Into Darkness ($285 Million)
Fast and Furious 6 ($220 Million)
The Hangover part 3 ($269 Million)
Now You See Me ($33 Million)
The Purge ($47 Million)
After Earth ($179 Million)
The Internship ($102 Million)
Man Of Steel ($280 Million)
This Is The End ($55 Million)
Monsters University ($290 Million)
World War Z ($75 Million)
The Heat ($65 Million)
White House Down ($89 Million)
The Lone Ranger ($125 Million)
Grown Ups 2 ($162 Million)
Pacific Rim ($180 Million)
The Conjuring ($26 Million)
R.I.P.D ($79 Million)
RED 2 ($79 Million)
The Wolverine ($209 Million)
2 Guns ($101 Million)
300: Rise Of An Empire ($150 Million)
The Smurfs 2 ($139 Million)
Elysium ($115 Million)
We're The Millers ($21 Million)
Kick-Ass 2 ($54 Million)
Percy Jackson 2 ($88 Million)
The To-do List ($28 Million)
The Mortal Instruments ($33 Million)
Getaway ($41 Million)
Riddick (66 Million)

Notes:

The Great Gatsby and The Heat could go either way. Sandra and Leo's box office track record are all over the place. So hard to gage those two.

Unless it's Pixar, I don't care about kids cartoons.

This Is The End could be this year's Ted. I though Ted would do nothing last year and was as wrong as could be.

Why on earth is R.I.P.D and RED 2 releasing on the same day???

You would think all the sequels to mostly very average films would spin off the exact same box office as the first. None of these films will gain any audience but ticket prices are higher... Percy Jackson, Kick Ass, 300, RED, Smurfs, Fast and Furious, Grown Ups.

It's a big league superhero summer yet again but I only see Iron Man breaking the 300 million dollar mark for the entire summer. Some very close but nothing is lining up as mega-big.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Domestic solely

*Actual Box-office in bold

Iron Man 3 ($360-400 Million) ($408,351,942)
The Great Gatsby ($150 Million) ($144,840,419)
Star Trek Into Darkness ($300-320 Million) ($227,271,488)
Fast and Furious 6 ($220 Million) ($238,497,875)
The Hangover part 3 ($226 Million) ($112,200,072)
Now You See Me ($40-50 Million) ($116,096,827)
The Purge ($32 Million) ($64,473,115)
After Earth ($150 Million) ($60,522,097)
Man Of Steel ($250 Million) ($289,875,976)
This Is The End ($55 Million) ($96,677,932)
Monsters University ($280-300 Million) ($261,420,191)
World War Z ($95 Million) ($198,540,021)
The Heat ($65 Million) ($155,847,878)
White House Down ($100 Million) ($72,117,169)
The Lone Ranger ($140 Million) ($87,801,908)
Grown Ups 2 ($140 Million) ($128,044,631)
Pacific Rim ($70 Million) ($98,772,359)
The Conjuring ($30 Million) ($130,246,000)
R.I.P.D ($45 Million) ($32,524,750)
RED 2 ($105 Million) ($51,258,889)
The Wolverine ($190 Million) ($123,311,000)
2 Guns ($100 Million) ($62,961,000)
The Smurfs 2 ($145 Million) ($60,566,000)
Elysium ($120 Million) ($63,969,000)
Kick-Ass 2 ($60 Million)
Percy Jackson 2 ($90 Million)
Riddick ($60 Million)

Last edited by Roy Batty; 08-25-2013 at 06:14 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 PM
I think World War Z is gonna bomb. It just doesnt look good and I bet the word of mouth is gonna be really bad too. Hope I'm wrong though.

I'll compile a box office prediction list later on.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 AM
I think people are underestimating The Conjuring on here. How much did Insidious take in total box office? More than 40 to 60 mil, right? I expect to see something similar with this film.

Iron Man 3 could be the Mega-hit of the summer, based on how popular Avengers was and how popular the Marvel franchise is in general right now.

I hope Man of Steel, Star Trek, and Pacific Rim perform to great numbers. I know it will likely never happen, but it would be awesome if Elysium was the biggest draw this summer.

There is also some serious overestimating going on here with M. Night's new film. The guy's last three or four movies tanked critically. Even if word of mouth is positive, I'd be surprised if people didn't catch on to the pattern by now. It's a shame because the trailer indicates the movie could be decent, but I'm not counting on After Earth breaking the 150 mark domestically, especially since it's being released around so many other big films.

Last edited by psycheoutsteve; 04-21-2013 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-21-2013, 01:21 PM

yeah psychoutsteve, I'm really hoping Elysium is a huge box office hit. I hope Neil goes 2 for 2. It looks outstanding and it should be great.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 PM
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...-record-112811

5 Reasons Hollywood Isn't Celebrating a Record Summer Box Office

It's always interesting to look over these predictions as summer comes to a close. I'll grade myself later but that article link is pretty interesting.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 AM
As always, some of my predictions were spot on while others were underestimated or overestimated. I'm glad crap like The Hangover, The Lone Ranger, After Earth, and RIPD flopped. What I'm surprised by is how much Now You See Me, The Purge, and The Conjuring did.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM
I'll credit myself with 2 accurate predictions I made.

1. I saw the success of The Conjuring coming from a mile away. Wan did Insidious and that was a huge hit and the trailer for The Conjuring was creepy perfection. Not sure why anyone was that surprised by this one.

2. I knew the Lone Ranger was going to flop big time. There was just no appeal to it. The world was probably thinking here's Johnny Depp in yet another heavily costumed kitschy role, and who the fuck is Armie Hammer?!!

None of the other predictions I made were that on target.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Every year we a talk about flops and bombs, am I glad that will smith and johnny depp finally got a taste of it.....hell fuckin yeah I am. Smith is one of the most over praised actors of our generation and depp, well he needs to stop playing Halloween with all the dress up and same shit. I hope its a wake up call to these guys.

But......but on a positive side if hollywood has a record breaking year in revenue than that's good for us film lovers. That means that movies of all sorts will get to be seen the year after and after. Yeah hollywood churns out some turds every year but there is also a lot of good low proflie movies that come and outshine the normal fare each and every year.

We can sit and come complain about quality, but if hollywood stops making a profit, well us movie lovers of all types are fucked.

Yes, even though that almost all the hyped blockbusters blew rhino cock this year, it was the ones in between that blew us away. Hell The Place Beyond the Pines was the best movie I saw all year, was it a $200 million budgeted film? No. But if the studios don't make more year end and yea out, we won't be so privileged to see all the hidden gems that under the the superfluous $200 million blockbusters.

The way I see it is, if you continually bitch about box office and the quality of movies each and every year, than guess what? You're seeing the wrong fucking movies. I'm not dissing anyone's taste, to each his own. But maybe expand your horizons just a tad and see that not every year sucks for movies.

Last edited by PBateman; 08-25-2013 at 09:02 PM..
Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
I'll credit myself with 2 accurate predictions I made.

1. I saw the success of The Conjuring coming from a mile away. Wan did Insidious and that was a huge hit and the trailer for The Conjuring was creepy perfection. Not sure why anyone was that surprised by this one.
I wasn't surprised by The Conjuring's success, I was surprised by how big of a success it was. With over $130 million in box-office receipts, I did not see that coming.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I think World War Z is gonna bomb. .
Shows what I know
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
I wasn't surprised by The Conjuring's success, I was surprised by how big of a success it was. With over $130 million in box-office receipts, I did not see that coming.
You predicted it would make 30 million...that's a real low-ball considering the success of insidious.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
You predicted it would make 30 million...that's a real low-ball considering the success of insidious.
That's successful for its small budget. So as I said, I predicted it to be a modest success, not a huge success that it became.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Quote:
That's successful for its small budget. So as I said, I predicted it to be a modest success, not a huge success that it became.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Shows what I know
To be fair to you, EVERYBODY thought that movie was gonna flop. Then it turned out to be a surprise hit.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Quote:
It's not like there's some sort of consolation prize for whoever was right. I said it would be successful. You said Insidious made 40-60 million, so you wouldn't be surprised if it did similar when it fact it doubled that, so we were both far off.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
It's not like there's some sort of consolation prize for whoever was right. I said it would be successful. You said Insidious made 40-60 million, so you wouldn't be surprised if it did similar when it fact it doubled that, so we were both far off.
I didn't say insidious made 40 to 60 million. I just said it was successful. In the end it had over a 100 million I think, but I'm not sure of the exact figure. It was a hell of a lot more than 40 to 60 million if I'm remembering correctly. Yeah, there's no gold star for accurate predictions, but point is that you can't admit when you're wrong.

30 million is not the kind of prediction you make if you believe the film will be successful, especially when taking into account how well Insidious did.

Last edited by psycheoutsteve; 08-27-2013 at 05:25 PM..
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Quote:
I didn't say insidious made 40 to 60 million. I just said it was successful.
Actually, you did...

Quote:
I think people are underestimating The Conjuring on here. How much did Insidious take in total box office? More than 40 to 60 mil, right? I expect to see something similar with this film.
Quote:
but point is that you can't admit when you're wrong.
Isn't this admitting I'm wrong...

Quote:
What I'm surprised by is how much Now You See Me, The Purge, and The Conjuring did.
Quote:
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Actually, you did...

Isn't this admitting I'm wrong...
I said it made MORE than 40 to 60 million. Read more carefully.

And no, you didn't actually admit that you were flat out wrong, the best admission you gave is that you were surprised, which was all well and good until you started trying to claim that you predicted the movie a success of a lesser magnitude. You're like, So ,I was surprised by how good the film did, but I totally thought it was gonna be successful.As I said before, taking into account Wan's horror resume and the success of Insidious, 30 million would be nowhere near success for The Conjuring. You need a lesson in humility or something...

Last edited by psycheoutsteve; 08-28-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Quote:
I said it made MORE than 40 to 60 million. Read more carefully.

And no, you didn't actually admit that you were flat out wrong, the best admission you gave is that you were surprised, which was all well and good until you started trying to claim that you predicted the movie a success of a lesser magnitude. You're like, So ,I was surprised by how good the film did, but I totally thought it was gonna be successful.As I said before, taking into account Wan's horror resume and the success of Insidious, 30 million would be nowhere near success for The Conjuring. You need a lesson in humility or something...
You do know making an estimate of something by saying more than something between something else is not really an estimate. I could say I'm going to make more than $2000 to 2500 on my next paycheck which means what exactly? It's just a poorly educated guess.

And are you kidding me regarding the humility thing? You're really this caught up in the idea of me not flat out saying " I was wrong about my The Conjuring prediction." Unlike you, who instead of admitting you were wrong, you opted for the arrogant response of saying you weren't surprised by its success (although you low-balled it yourself) and are now criticizing me. Oh the hypocrisy.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 AM
I'm happy The Conjuring and Now You See Me were surprise hits. Enjoyed both a lot. Everybody also expected World War Z to flop badly, so I'm glad that didn't either. It was definitely one of the more pleasant surprises of the summer.

Disappointed that White House Down flopped though. I thought that was a ton of fun.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
You do know making an estimate of something by saying more than something between something else is not really an estimate. I could say I'm going to make more than $2000 to 2500 on my next paycheck which means what exactly? It's just a poorly educated guess.

And are you kidding me regarding the humility thing? You're really this caught up in the idea of me not flat out saying " I was wrong about my The Conjuring prediction." Unlike you, who instead of admitting you were wrong, you opted for the arrogant response of saying you weren't surprised by its success (although you low-balled it yourself) and are now criticizing me. Oh the hypocrisy.
By asking didn't the conjuring make more than 40 to 60 million? the only thing the 40 to 60 million is referencing was the average guess/estimate of the users on here for the conjuring's box office take. I was surprised by those estimates because I knew that Insidious did much better than the 40 to 60 million range. I was just asking for confirmation from other users on here that Insidious did that well. Maybe I could of been clearer with that, but that's what I meant. I should of just looked up and posted the total box office figure for Insidious and saved myself the trouble of confusing/misleading people. Believe me though, I'm not bullshitting you when I say I saw this movie's huge success coming. That was just about the only accurate prediction I had.