Old 08-29-2002, 08:07 PM
A Question About Jason Voorhees

Ok , so he drowned as a kid at Camp Crystal Lake , correct? Well , if he drowned then how come when someone is in the water like in Part 6 (He went to the boat that Tommy was in.) and Part 4 (Raft scene.) how is he such a good swimmer?!? Wouldn't he suck at it , like he did when he was a child? Just a thought that crossed my mind ....
Old 08-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nightmare_Dreaming:
Ok , so he drowned as a kid at Camp Crystal Lake , correct? Well , if he drowned then how come when someone is in the water like in Part 6 (He went to the boat that Tommy was in.) and Part 4 (Raft scene.) how is he such a good swimmer?!? Wouldn't he suck at it , like he did when he was a child? Just a thought that crossed my mind .... </font>
thats a good question...i wanna know, how does he swim? and i know he just cant stand in the water because he isnt that fuckin tall.

later

[This message has been edited by Boogeyman (edited 08-29-2002).]
Old 08-29-2002, 08:34 PM
It's a Friggin' movie! LOL. But it really doesn't have an Explanation.

Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?
Old 08-29-2002, 08:50 PM
im sure hes had time to learn.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:17 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sam Hain:
im sure hes had time to learn. </font>
This sound logical, I agree.

Old 08-29-2002, 10:35 PM
When did Michael Myers learn to drive? In the original "Halloween" he murders his sister when he`s a little kid. Then years later when he escapes the mental institution he can drive! He drives in some of the sequels too.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Jason started swimming laps in between the off season, and became quite the proficient swimmer. Obviously he was thinking along the lines of, "No more of that drowning bullshit." He can also out dive the likes of Greg Louganis. He is great.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:40 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elgyn:
When did Michael Myers learn to drive? In the original "Halloween" he murders his sister when he`s a little kid. Then years later when he escapes the mental institution he can drive! He drives in some of the sequels too.</font>
lol, Perhaps It as natural to him as Swimming is for Jason after that near drowning incident.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:06 PM
Quote:
When did Michael Myers learn to drive? In the original "Halloween" he murders his sister when he`s a little kid. Then years later when he escapes the mental institution he can drive! He drives in some of the sequels too.</font>

its pretty easy to drive since you only have to do a few things. pedals. steering wheel. keys. radio.

doesnt take too much effort.

later
Old 08-29-2002, 11:08 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boogeyman:

its pretty easy to drive since you only have to do a few things. pedals. steering wheel. keys. radio.

doesnt take too much effort.

later
</font>
It's just the other people you got to watch out for. Though swimming isn't too difficult either, The Human body has positive buoyancy so..

Old 08-29-2002, 11:51 PM
Quote:
When did Michael Myers learn to drive? </font>
That question was answered in "Halloween". Dr. Loomis said that he must have learned. (While being in the institution)

So that proves the point that Jason had to of learned over the years.

Old 08-30-2002, 12:00 AM
So Myers had driver's ed at the institution?

[This message has been edited by Gregorious8 (edited 08-30-2002).]
Old 08-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Okay, ever since Jason's near-drowning he learned how to be a better swimmer--self taught of course. By the time part 6 is around he's undead so he doesn't have to worry about dying anymore.

As for Michael, haven't you seen Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers? The fucking Druids were behind this all along! They controlled his every move!
Old 08-30-2002, 01:16 AM
How do we know he couldn't swim in the first place? People that can swim are not entirely immune from drowning.

And before you start saying that Mrs Voorhees said "he wasn't a very good swimmer", it's pretty clear that when she says this she's covering up something else she was going to say, and therefore this could be easily dismissed as a lie.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:18 AM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gregorious8:
So Myers had driver's ed at the institution?

[This message has been edited by Gregorious8 (edited 08-30-2002).]
</font>

Thinking about Myers driving is one of the funniest things ever
Old 08-30-2002, 01:39 AM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scully1888:
How do we know he couldn't swim in the first place? People that can swim are not entirely immune from drowning.

And before you start saying that Mrs Voorhees said "he wasn't a very good swimmer", it's pretty clear that when she says this she's covering up something else she was going to say, and therefore this could be easily dismissed as a lie.
</font>
Pamela Voorhees was covering up the fact that Jason was retarded.

Old 08-30-2002, 02:10 AM
Ok,how about Jason dident swim.Maby he walked or some shit. Plus it dosent take a real genius to figure out how to swim. I mean shit,I can swim with no arms. But on the other hand he was retarded. Maby someone else drowned him. Maby he could swim but someone else murderd him. There are alot of mabys though. And this is a fuckin movie,not exactly a movie made to have that much logic.

Peace

Old 08-30-2002, 10:33 AM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KingPhenom007:
Pamela Voorhees was covering up the fact that Jason was retarded.

</font>
Yeah, I agree, It was pretty obvious she was gonna say something along the lines of that, Then said that ''He wasn't a good swimmer''. He probably wasn't, but the Human body has positive buoyancy, So he may have been able to stay afloat in water, even If He couldn't swim. Maybe He was murdered, or maybe he almost drowned and was so traumatized or frightened he ran into the woods, trying to get home..

If I remember correctly the police told Alice at the end that there was no boy in the lake, or: no body.

[This message has been edited by Jason Voorhees (edited 08-30-2002).]
Old 08-30-2002, 12:58 PM
In F13 Part 2,we learn that Jason has lived off the land,and he constructed a shack to live in,so right there it proves he's resourceful enough to survive outdoors,I'm sure he learned to swim in that time.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:06 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bulletproof:
In F13 Part 2,we learn that Jason has lived off the land,and he constructed a shack to live in,so right there it proves he's resourceful enough to survive outdoors,I'm sure he learned to swim in that time.</font>
Ya,I am gonna hafta agree with Bullet on this one. He could have easily learn how to swim. Also,I wish they would'ev put Jasons shack in the movies more. Tht would'ev been cool as shit

Peace
Old 08-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanx for all the replies people.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:36 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nightmare_Dreaming:
Thanx for all the replies people.</font>
We do what we can

Old 08-31-2002, 06:25 AM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">origenaly posted by asyouwish530
"No more of that drowning bullshit."</font>
LOL jason saying that would make me laugh

[This message has been edited by heretic (edited 08-31-2002).]
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Why the fuck is he afraid of water in Freddy vs. Jason? Isn't he in the water in at least a third of his films? Didn't he spend years in the water before he was resurrected in the 8th film after getting his head cut up to shit by a boat engine propeller?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
Why the fuck is he afraid of water in Freddy vs. Jason? Isn't he in the water in at least a third of his films? Didn't he spend years in the water before he was resurrected in the 8th film after getting his head cut up to shit by a boat engine propeller?
Maybe because he drowned in the 1st Friday the 13th movie as a kid, and it's psychologically harmful to his psyche?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM
It's always a good counter response to anwser a question with an uncertain assumption and question of your own.

It's damaging to his psyche so he decides he just wants to hang out in the lake, around the lake, at the scene of where he drowned in the first place. Has no hesitation of going into anykind of water in the previous 8 films.

I bet his psychiatrist told him it would be a theraputic experience. That feels better, I think I'll go on about my daily routine now of killing mindless whores and campers.

It all makes sense now thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by SL Dubbs; 05-02-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lives View Post
Thinking about Myers driving is one of the funniest things ever
I wonder if he's ever gotten road rage. This is just a parody waiting to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn View Post
When did Michael Myers learn to drive? In the original "Halloween" he murders his sister when he`s a little kid. Then years later when he escapes the mental institution he can drive! He drives in some of the sequels too.
He was taught by Dr. Wynn, stoopid!!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
It's always a good counter response to anwser a question with an uncertain assumption and question of your own.

It's damaging to his psyche so he decides he just wants to hang out in the lake, around the lake, at the scene of where he drowned in the first place. Has no hesitation of going into anykind of water in the previous 8 films.

I bet his psychiatrist told him it would be a theraputic experience. That feels better, I think I'll go on about my daily routine now of killing mindless whores and campers.

It all makes sense now thanks for clearing that up.
Anytime.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
I wonder if he's ever gotten road rage. This is just a parody waiting to happen.

He was taught by Dr. Wynn, stoopid!!
HAHAHAH

Dr. Loomis took him in the back of the asylum and let him get some hands on experience in the back staff parking lot. Because teaching a psychotic/psychopath/sociopath would better from hands on learning rather than visual aid like most drivers.

Last edited by SL Dubbs; 05-02-2012 at 06:34 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I love what I've gotten out of this thread so far

-Dr. Loomis Taught Michael to Drive in the insane asylaum

-Jason has repressed memories and is scared shitless of water where he spends a lot of his time when he's not walking it off killing campers and whores. Memories that only Freddy Krugger can trigger

-A poster decides to take sudden interest in my post and a topic he doesn't know shit about just because some other member got his/her feelings hurt in another topic that he tryed to defend.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Obviously, he learned to swim when the Navy SEALs came there to train. Crystal Lake is way out of the way and makes the perfect training ground for Ruby Ridge/Branch Davidian scenario type training. Jason probably noticed their training from a distance and instead of trying anything dumb and getting his ass destroyed, he decided to watch and learn. Basic survival swimming and tacitcal knife use were the two classes he really paid attention to. Hence, knife throwing AND swimming in Jason Lives. This also explains gloves and a tactical gear belt.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Maybe because he drowned in the 1st Friday the 13th movie as a kid, and it's psychologically harmful to his psyche?
How about if you drown and you're dead, your psyche doesn't fucking matter anymore because you are dead?

I don't think a guy who is walking out in front of speeding Chevy Astro's or taking an axe in the forehead and living to talk about it is scared of anything.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Another question is why would people continue to go out there after a countless number of people have been killed and slaughtered? It's not until the 9th film when law enforcement actually does anything by organizing a swat team to clean up the problem? seems a little late in the game....maybe should of thought of that 50 body's ago. How would these swat team members slip in camp crystal lake woods undetected? unless they were some of Jason's ex seal buddies that know and have studied all his tactial moves. When it comes to unwelcome guest in his woods Jason kills them faster than a nympho in heat fucks their next victim. I want answers....DAMNIT!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU80 View Post
Obviously, he learned to swim when the Navy SEALs came there to train. Crystal Lake is way out of the way and makes the perfect training ground for Ruby Ridge/Branch Davidian scenario type training. Jason probably noticed their training from a distance and instead of trying anything dumb and getting his ass destroyed, he decided to watch and learn. Basic survival swimming and tacitcal knife use were the two classes he really paid attention to. Hence, knife throwing AND swimming in Jason Lives. This also explains gloves and a tactical gear belt.
John Rambo taught Jason to swim, hide, and kill. One killing machine passes his knowledge onto another.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Are people still asking about this? I remember the debate over Jason being afraid of water in FvJ nine years ago. I realize this debate has become humorous, but I'll bite anyway.

Jason drowns in 1957. However, his body resurfaces and he survives. He finds himself lost and learns to adapt to the surroundings. Deep down, in his mind and his dreams, part of him is afraid of water. For obvious reasons. Upon discovering his mother's vengeance towards foolish people re-opening the camp and her fate years later, he will do anything he has to in order to go after future victims. Including stepping into the water. Part of him still fears it, but another part of him steps up and will do what it must in the name of vengeance.

Someone also wondered how Michael was able to drive, so what the hell? Michael is possessed by pure evil. Period. By either just plain evil or Thorn from Druid beliefs. Which ever one you like best, take your pick. I appreciate both ideas. The point is, if a possessive evil can inspire Michael to pick up a knife, then it will make him be capable of naturally driving a car to get him back to Haddonfield. It's not really Michael driving, it's the evil. And so on.

Those are my serious answers, and here are the humorous ones.

Jason drowns. His body resurfaces and he survives. After several years surviving on his own, Jason meets a young David Hasselhoff from "Baywatch." and there is an over-the-top montage of David teaching Jason how swim in the lake. He also teaches Jason how to run in slow motion on the off-shore. It's not as stimulating as watching his female co-stars run in slow-motion on the beach of "Baywatch," but he does anyway. Over a campfire, David tries to understand Jason's fear of water and help him get over it. Jason doesn't quite know how to communicate his fear, or talk period, but David tries to motivate him anyway with an over-acted speech he sends to the TV academy for an Emmy nomination. I don't think he got the nomination.

Jason finally learns how to swim and celebrates with David and some attractive woman enjoying the lake. David proceeds to have his way with all the women. Something inside Jason tells him that people are being naughty and he kills the women. He almost kills David, and David realizes what a mistake it was to help someone like Jason. David leaves Crystal Lake and never returns. It is a chapter in David's life that he choose to never acknowledge. If you ever see him struggling for the right words, or his next lines, on "Baywatch," he's having a flashback of his time spent with Jason. Part of him feels bad for Jason, and another part is happy he can swim, but he ultimately realizes the damage he's caused by inspiring him to face his fears. He's partially responsible for creating a monster.

As for Michael, I don't have a humorous take of his ability to drive. He's too serious a guy. Neither he nor Jason ever say a goddamn word to me, but Jason has a way of shrugging his shoulders and looking around to express his own sense of humor.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 06-28-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Old 06-29-2012, 04:35 AM
In Freddy Vs. Jason, Jason is terrified of water.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
Are people still asking about this? I remember the debate over Jason being afraid of water in FvJ nine years ago. I realize this debate has become humorous, but I'll bite anyway.

Jason drowns in 1957. However, his body resurfaces and he survives. He finds himself lost and learns to adapt to the surroundings. Deep down, in his mind and his dreams, part of him is afraid of water. For obvious reasons. Upon discovering his mother's vengeance towards foolish people re-opening the camp and her fate years later, he will do anything he has to in order to go after future victims. Including stepping into the water. Part of him still fears it, but another part of him steps up and will do what it must in the name of vengeance.

him to face his fears. He's partially responsible for creating a monster.
I was being sarcastic when I asked. It's not made to make sense because it's bullshit that doesn't make any sense. The movie wasn't pieced together very well and wasn't out to win academy awards obviously. Maybe raspberry awards.

There is no deep inner problem he has with water, because he spends most of his time in or around water so that theory is shot to shit along with any other.

Last edited by SL Dubbs; 06-29-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Old 06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
I realized that this whole thread was sarcastic. That's why I also provided a hit-or-miss humorous answer. That said, he could still be afraid of water in his subconscious and be able to deal with water in reality. It may not make total sense, but it is fantasy. Who says he can't conquer water, when his thirst for vengeance is more powerful? I think so anyway. Does it really matter if he's a member of the undead for him to fear it in his mind? I don't think so. I think the idea worked for FvJ and makes sense within the whole series.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare_Dreaming View Post
Ok , so he drowned as a kid at Camp Crystal Lake , correct? Well , if he drowned then how come when someone is in the water like in Part 6 (He went to the boat that Tommy was in.) and Part 4 (Raft scene.) how is he such a good swimmer?!? Wouldn't he suck at it , like he did when he was a child? Just a thought that crossed my mind ....
You are okay with the logic that a dude can be brought back to life time and time again but can't learn to swim?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezercoke View Post
You are okay with the logic that a dude can be brought back to life time and time again but can't learn to swim?
Imagine him walking into the local YMCA wanting swim lessons. Don't think it would turn out to well.