Old 10-24-2002, 09:38 AM
Salma Hayek

With all the press for Frida, Salma Hayek has gotten herself a very prominent thrust back into the spotlight.

Speaking personally, I've always respected Salma more than J. Lo or Penelope Cruz as a model for Hispanic women in the movie industry, because A.) she seems to be a much better actress and 2.) she isn't afraid to work in risky independent features (Dogma, Timecode) and 3.) she's stolen 2 roles from J. Lo

I'm very curious about Frida, I'm not buying into the hype, but the woman was an insanely interesting person as well as her hausband so I'm interested in seeing how the film portrays her life.

So what's your opinion of the woman?
Old 10-24-2002, 09:40 AM
I also like Salma Hayek alot better as an actress than J.Lo or Penelope Cruz.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:32 AM
I suppose I like her better than J Lo or Penelope Cruz. But that's not saying much. I think Rita Moreno is probably more of a Hispanic female role model.

I do think it's ballsy for her to take on the role of Frida Kahlo, as Frida was an excessively ugly woman. Very talented, but severely unfortunate looking. I wonder if they'll ugly her up as much as necessary to be accurate. Moustache and all?
Old 10-24-2002, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Grebdron
I suppose I like her better than J Lo or Penelope Cruz. But that's not saying much. I think Rita Moreno is probably more of a Hispanic female role model.

I do think it's ballsy for her to take on the role of Frida Kahlo, as Frida was an excessively ugly woman. Very talented, but severely unfortunate looking. I wonder if they'll ugly her up as much as necessary to be accurate. Moustache and all?
I saw a clip of her on a talk show she was on. They gave her a monobrow, which she talked about... she said Frida's romance was between a very hairy woman and a very fat man... but they didn't ugly her up, other than the monobrow.

Btw I'm not sure I think she is all that much of an actress... I mean I thought her dialogue in Dogma was poorly delivered... stilted. She is definately a hottie though.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Heavenley
I also like Salma Hayek alot better as an actress than J.Lo or Penelope Cruz.
Same here. Penelope is ok, JLo is an arrogant diva/bitch, but I love Salma. She's sweet and way more talented.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:42 PM
I saw a clip of Salma in her new movie as Frida Kahlo............even with the uni-brow she's still a really pretty looking lady.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:54 PM
i really like SALMA, i just watched FLED and she is in that, great flick. i really dont like J HO, she seems like a real "im a diva, im famous all must bow down b4 me" type bitch. and i have never really found PENELOPE CRUISE...!! very attractive, i will never understand how tom cruz...!! went from nicole to penelope, id rather be banging nicole!!
Old 10-24-2002, 03:34 PM

Salma Hayek is a fine actress, havent seen a bad performance by her. J Lo is a better actress than singer but that aint saying much, and as for Penelope Cruz what the fuck she actually been good in...ever?
Old 10-24-2002, 03:53 PM
All right, all right...I can only put up w/ so much Cruz abuse. Catch Open Your Eyes, or Belle Epoque or one of her other Spanish films before you pass judgement on her. English is her second language and she's obviously self-conscious while speaking it. It's hindered all her performances so far.

Add to that that she's trying to keep her legs and arms away from Tom Cruise and Nic Cage so they don't get bitten off while those two oafs chew the scenery, and she's hardly been in the most comfortable environment, lately. It's not really a zero-sum game bewteen her and the other two. There's room for all three of them.

I'm happy to see Salma step up to ther plate and do something really worthy, and not be content to do Wild, Wild West-style stuff for her whole career.

As for JLo...ah, never mind... Even I can't defend her.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:03 AM
Penelope has failed to give even one good english performance so far, but she pretty much rocks in all of her spanish roles. She just can't speak english and comes off as unnatural and forced. I think she should return to Spain.

Anyway, Salma has always been a talented actress, but she has been typecasted as the non-acting, non-substantial hottie too much.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:14 PM
I think her acting is always attrocious, but she's usually nice to look at when she doesn't have a uni-brow.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:14 AM
yes yes, that unibrow makes her kinda goofy looking. but in that same movie, she makes out with ashley judd, so it can't be that bad
Old 12-25-2002, 07:35 AM
Next to Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts, she's the hottest woman on this earth and I don't mind doing it with her anyday. She rocks and is a very groovy check, she's an underrated actress who deserves sooooooo much more recognition, her performance in FRIDA had me convinced and I just love her!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2002, 01:08 PM
I haven't been convinced of Salma's acting, but she seems like a wonderfully neat human being. She appears to be down-to-earth, grounded, and very funny. Overall a very "cool" chick.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:00 PM
Salma Hayek is surely one hot babe, but as an actress she has yet to convince me she isn't in the pretty-but-dull-acting game of Penelope Cruz. And I rather doubt the supposedly flawed FRIDA will change my perception of her.

Still, I would love to bang her!
Old 12-25-2002, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Asokan

Still, I would love to bang her!
Yea, she's interesting in bed. Very playful.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nicholas_Kross
Yea, she's interesting in bed. Very playful.
oh wow, first you played playstation w/ George Clooney and now you banged Salma Hayek. very funny.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed
oh wow, first you played playstation w/ George Clooney and now you banged Salma Hayek. very funny.
jealousy is a b%$#

Old 12-31-2002, 08:37 AM
i think salma hayek is very talented, and also very elegant. i like her...i have never seen her in a bad role or portraying a character badly. she is very respectable imo.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Pudge
very attractive, i will never understand how tom cruz...!! went from nicole to penelope, id rather be banging nicole!!
not i, cruise made the right move... but of course i find kidman unattractive!

the unibrow/monobrow is salma's own, the make-up people for the flick didn't give it to her, she just let it grow out.

i really like and respect her as an actress. and she just happens to be one of the hottest women on earth!
Old 12-31-2002, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by uncle_el
i find kidman unattractive!
You, my good man, are insane.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by uncle_el
i find kidman unattractive!
How could you say such a thing about my wife!
Old 01-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Acting? Who cares? I just like looking at her. She's all that! I get hungry just looking at her.

El Negro
Old 01-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by James Logan
You, my good man, are insane.
perhaps i spoke/wrote too harshly. i should have said that i don't find her attractive. i think she's ok/average looking, and she's way too pale for me.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:39 PM
I HATE Salma Hayek. My whole family hates her. I don't know about her acting skills, since I've never seen any of her movies, but I hate her. Most people who like her are americans. I don't know any mexican who likes her. She treats the mexican press bad, and she's just annoying. I really am sorry that she is a mexican.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Martha
I HATE Salma Hayek. My whole family hates her. I don't know about her acting skills, since I've never seen any of her movies, but I hate her. Most people who like her are americans. I don't know any mexican who likes her. She treats the mexican press bad, and she's just annoying. I really am sorry that she is a mexican.
i'm confused.