Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Final Destination 2 (Minor Spoilers!)

When within the first fifteen minutes of a horror film you already have a tit shot and a body count above ten, you know you're in for fun times.

Final Destination 2 begins much the way its predecessor does: a slow pan around the main character's room, with the credits superimposed over. This time, said character is a 20-year-old woman named Kimberly, and she happens to be watching television.

Exactly one year has passed since Flight 180 exploded. On the television, the incides of FD1 are discussed... i.e., why did they die? One of the people on the program brings up the theory that death wanted to tie up its loose ends and so, three minutes in, anybody who missed out on the original is up to speed.

Kimberly is planning a little trip to Daytona Beach with three of her friends. She borrows her dad's SUV and hits the road.

But much like Alex in the original, Kimberly gets a vision -- a monster pile-up with her and her friends getting killed. Immediately she stops the car, cutting off the on-ramp.

Instead of waiting a month like in the original, Death starts right away -- Kimberly's friends are killed immediately after the accident, and she is saved only because she's pushed out of the way by Officer Thomas Burke. Death has skipped her.

From this point on, the survivors are picked off one-by-one in a series of gruesome death scenes. After the first, Kimberly consults the only survivor from Final Destination -- Clear Rivers (poor Alex took a brick to the head five months back).

FD2 takes everything FD1 did to the next level. The deaths are more gruesome (airbags!) and the characters are more clichťd. Unfortunately, the tone is also a bit lighter.

However, this is a fun film the whole way through. You don't really care about any of the characters getting killed save one (where I literally paused for a few minutes), but the kills are gruesome and the pace fun. It never slows down, and we never want it to.

Does it surpass the original? I don't know. But it definitely doesn't embarass it.

8/10
Old 01-31-2003, 05:22 PM
I'll be posting on Sunday.

Matt
Old 02-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Damn, I was looking forward to this film but they have kinda screwed it for me before I have even seen it....

They are advertising the film over here now and they have made the TERRIBLE mistake of using footage of teens talking enthusiastically about the film after just seeing it........Every film that has been advertisied using that gimmick has reeked.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Final Destination 2- 9/10

Genre- Horror

Rating: US R/ Can 18A for Graphic Accidents Involving Extreme Gore, brief Nudity and Terror.

Director- David R. Ellis

Cast:
Ali Larter .... Clear Rivers
A.J. Cook .... Kimberly Corman
Michael Landes .... Officer Thomas Burke
Terrence 'T.C.' Carson .... Eugene Dix
Keegan Connor Tracy .... Kat

Plot:
Right before a huge traffic accident, Kimberly Corman has a premonition of her and her friends deaths. Of course, like the first, Death comes back to work them over in gruesome ways.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this more than the first, there, I said it. Even though I felt the original was a great horror movie (8/10), this one had me even more at the edge of my seat. The first one had an amazing opening that scared me away from planes for the last few years, this one has now scared me off of highways. Not fully of course but now I'll be so cautious. I also found the characters more realistic and talented. The deaths were more elaborate and disgusting (nice) and it felt more intelligent, twists and turns galore and an ending that has to be seen to be believed. An all out kick ass movie that I will buy the second I see it on the shelves.

Acting- 9/10
A.J. Cook is beautiful and talented, her emotions were perfect. Larter was better than in the first and actually impressed me at times. The rest of the cast is pretty good too but couldn't live up to A.J.

Directing- 10/10
Brilliant action sequences, deaths and accidents. Perfection!

Gore- 10/10
I won't give specifics but I'll say what kind of deaths we get.
Exploding body, smashed body, crushed body, severed arm, severing of several parts of the body (awesome), impaling in head and lots more!

Nudity- 4/10
A brief breast shot from an anonymous biker and A.J. Cook wearing a shirt that exposes her nips. She's later briefly in her bra. None for the ladies.

Matt
Old 02-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Final Destination 2

**Some minor spoilers throughout**

Man, where do I even begin with this review? How about I start by saying this movie kicked ass. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and was even startled a few times. Itís also nice to know that there are still people out there with the balls to make a bloody, gory and violent movie. This isnít toned down like They or Darkness Falls. This is a movie that doesnít pull any punches and I loved every minute of it.

So, Iím sure every pretty much knows the plot already. While on her way to Daytona Beach with her friends, Kimberly, played by A.J. Cook, has a vision of a huge, bloody car crash. Terrified of the events about to unfold she stops her car, thus saving herself and several other people. Just like the first film, this screws up the way death has worked things out. Now death is out to get all the survivors and heís not playing around. Helping out is Clear, the sole remaining survivor from the first film. A rather weak explanation is given for Alexís character.

Boy did this movie ever take me by surprise. I have seen the original once and thought it was pretty good but not great. Therefore, I havenít been too interested in seeing this one. However, the previews looked good so I went ahead and gave it a chance this afternoon. Am I ever glad I did. This movie kicks so much ass. From the opening car crash I was hooked. And let me just say this about the car crash. That scene was one of the most realistic, scary, and bloody car crashes that I have ever seen put to film. That scene along was worth the price of admission. Also, each and every time that death finally got to someone I was surprised by the ingenuity put behind the method. These are some classic, well-thought out death scenes people. I havenít seen stuff like this since the 80s. Almost each death surprised me more than the last.

Now, I wouldnít say that this is a very scary movie. There were a few times that I cringed and one time that my heart jumped by thatís about it. This movie is more about fun than being scary. I will admit, however, that I found myself paying extra careful attention to what other motoristís were doing on my way home. You can never be too careful.

The acting was ok in the movie but nothing special. Ali Larter, reprising her role from the original, played the paranoid pretty well. Iíve never seen A.J. Cook in anything before but she did alright as the main heroine. The one person I did like was Michael Landes as the cop. I thought he did a decent job.

The one thing, well thereís actually many things, that I loved about this movie is the way death is presented. Things start to happen and you think youíve figured out how deathís going to get someone but then it goes a different route. I love how paranoid the characters got and how everything was shown as being a potential tool for murder. Really, makes you pay close attention to your surroundings.

Like Iíve been saying this is a great movie. Possibly one of the best times Iíve ever had watching a horror movie. This is a fun, exciting, and entertaining movie. Itís too bad all movies canít be this much fun.

Final Score Ė 9/10
Old 02-04-2003, 02:53 AM
If any of the site moderators are willing to, I just think it would be damn funny to search the forums for the words 'Final Destination 2' and 'FD2' just to see how many of these damn threads exist! lol.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Death is coming...

*I didn't know where to post my review. There are like 3 different threads about this movie and the first one. I chose this one because it had more replys*

FINAL DESTINATION 2 (2003)

Plot:
Driving with a group of friends to Daytona Beach, Kimberly (A.J. Cook) has a sudden premonition that saves them all from a catastrophic freeway pileup Ö or so it seems. Ali Larter returns from the first film as Clear Rivers, the lone survivor of the Flight 180 airplane crash, whom Kimberly goes to see once death starts coming after her friends. Itís a rollercoaster ride of fear and fate as Kimberly races to save her friends and herself from the implacable jaws of death.
Director: David R. Ellis
Cast: A.J. Cook........Kimberly
Ali Larter........Clear
Michael Landes........Thomas
Keegan Connor Tracy........Kat
Tony Todd........Buldworth
Terrence "T.C." Carson........Eugene
Jonathan Cherry........Rory
Lynda Boyd........Nora
James Kirk........Tim

My Thoughts: I said it before. I can't get this movie out of my head. Since the first time I watched it I've been thunking about it. And I'm surprised of how much my rating and love for this movie has grown. The first time I saw it I was so disappointed, I even hated it. And gave it a 4/10 or D+. But then I decided to give it another try and liked it a little more(6/10 or C+). But then it was a 6/10 or B- and now it's a 7/10 or B. And a possible 8/10 some day.
Of course, this one is no way better than the first one. But it's tons of fun! I mean from start to finish you can't wink a second.

Acting:
A.J. Cook was good, she's very cute. Ali Larter was even better here and looked hot. Michael Landes was horrible IMO, he was emotionless. Keegan Connor Tracy was my fav. gal and I really wanted her to be the surviver, but I'm not going to tell you if she makes it or not. The rest of the cast was pretty good, especially for a horror movie. Of course Tony Todd was great.

Direction:
Amazing! This guy Ellis did a terrific job with the camera. It was filmed much better than the first one. The car pile up at the beginning leaved me with my mouth open. It was a very good work.

Script:
Good. I liked the connections between the two movies. Some times it was too over the top or a little lame. But it was ok.

Gore:
Fucking A+!!!!! If you tell me this movie isn't gory then you need an eye check. Totally fucked up! We get to see all kind of gruesome deaths. Like a ladder in the eye, exploding bodys, crushed and burned bodys, bodys cut in half, decapitations, impale head, you name it!!!

T&A:
All the girls look great. And there's a titt shot of a biker girl. Decent.

Ending:
LAME!!!!!! LAME!!!! God I hated the ending. It totally ruined the movie. This is not a parody!!!! Come on!!!

Overall:
Lots of fun. Not a great movie, but a very enjoyable one.

Grade: 7/10 or B

Old 07-14-2003, 07:06 AM
Plot:
Kimberly, an all around normal youth, is driving with her friends in Daytona bound Highway 23, much like the original, she has a premonition (hands down the harshest five minutes in my horror history) about a huge car pileup which not surprisingly comes true. Now, after cheating death, the dark entity sets off to clean house again...

What I thought:
Now, this is a sequel to 2000ís surprise hit, and my favorite movie, ďFinal DestinationĒ. I want to add how much I was expecting this movie (ever since Final Destination mostly) and now I am happy to report that the movie was not a letdown and the three year wait was very much worth it.

I will start off by mentioning what I did NOT like about this sizzle sequel, I know I shouldnít compare this with the prequel, but that way, youíll get better the idea. One of the many things I adored about the first movie was itís freaky and very scary atmosphere but where is it!? Not here! The movie is mostly shot in daytime, and that lowered a lot the sense of creepiness. One more thing I couldnít stand is that they turned this movie into another pop corn horror movie. It has way too many jokes I didnít appreciate all that much (the last frame comes to mind) and that mucho lowered the tension, which was another of the many things I adored about the prequel. But it knows it's cheese, the laughs are 100% intentional and they really work, this is dark-ish humor and it's greatly used.
The script had some flaws right there, maybe it is just me but maybe it didnít explain fully the idea of deathís design, I didnít fully get it, but then again, maybe it was just me. The characters are much less developed as in the original, as being a bunch of strangers, you couldn't care less for most of them...they are all stereotyped and I was only waiting for most of them to die...(I kinda loved Nora actually) and add to that some extremely disposable side-characters (BBQ kid...lmao). As for the acting, I must say it's mostly convincing; if it's not the at times tacky dialogue pulling some characters down, it's mostly fine. I really didn't like Eugene I don't know what pissed me off, if it washis characters or just HIM...I was waiting for the Angel of Death to do his thang on him.
But I want to add that the movie's cast is a fucking charm! Not only was the acting extremely convincing, the actors are a much cheery looking bunch and you root for them simply because they all charm you every second they are on screen, Keegan Connor Tracy and Jonathan Cherry take the cup for the most charming actress to grace a screen. And Linda Boyd does one hell of a job, I loved her and her son, Tim (James Kirk) was kickass, he didn't have much screen time but he kicked ass. Ali Larter and AJ Cook are not only extremely talented...THEY ARE SO HOT!

And guess what mistake the sequel did? The same as in Final DestinationÖa scene where some of the characters visiting the same creepy mortician (Tony Todd) we saw before, again, his character is not explored in any level, the scene again slowens the pace big time and is much more useless than in the original.

Now, for the upside, this is by far the ballsiest R rated movie I have ever seen. I was extremely uncomfortable and was yelling like a maniac in the movie theater. I am not talking only about ball gripping tension, but the goriest, most Ďout thereí kill sequences I have ever seen. Remember how harsh the run over kill was in the original Final Destination? Thatís nothing ok? Hear me out here. The kills are just amazingly strong and mind bendingÖawesome shite. I also mucho enjoyed the fact of Ďdeathí being again only a sadistic presence that we feel all around us. For some reason I felt it much more time than in the first one, there are thousands of accidents hereÖ
I think it is brilliant to make the movie's kills so graphic since the second someone kicks the bucket in the movie, this made me like really frightened because I know what could come but not exactly, so every second someone was going to die, you are hitting your knees, houling and holding the edge of your seat in anticipation and it was even more brilliant to make extremely unexpected, let alone gory deaths that made me jump like a fucking kangoroo on crack (final KA BOOM comes to mind).
I also appreciated how they didnít just made Ďanotherí Final Destination story, they also added a clear link between the events involving Flight 180 and this car pile up. Another great thing is that they also added some really cool new effect in deathís design for this one, I will not give it away, but I really liked how itís not the same thing as Final Destination, the cool omens are still there, especially in the opening car pileup, which is definitely the harshest bit IMO.
The Ellis man definitely knows his shite, he has a great imagination and has BALLS, he also pulls tons of great enlarged shots, overhead shots, fluid camera movements, tension and silence. He has style!

So, when the movie was over, I had to take a time to catch my breath and recollect by balls, I walked off the cinema and said to my pals: "Shit! Why can't every movie be this much fun!?" I started my day in a great way and I am sure as hell looking forward for the next entry in this immortal series.

Gore:
Death is truly PISSED OFF in here. I won't detail the gore here but I must say that they are out there, graphic and ballsy to say the least. Whoo-hoo!!

Overall Rating:
"9/10" Final Destination 2 is a sequel that works, it has cheese and it knows it, it tried to be a funny, violent and thrilling ride. It worked.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:29 PM
I really enjoyed this movie. To truly appreciate it you have to see it with a large audience that's in the mood for fun. Whatever seriousness the original might have had gets thrown aside pretty quickly, leaving a movie that's amusing, tense, and above all, BLOODY GOOD FUN. It's not particularly clever or well-written, but it goes all out to provide an extremely fun experience.

The final death is just hilarious. I remember when my brother and I saw it at the cinema, we both burst out laughing as soon as we saw **SPOILER** the barbecue **SPOILER**, it was so obvious what was going to happen. But the way it actually happened was icing on the cake.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Hmmm...What can I say about this that has not already been said? All I can add is that I went into this film with the lowest expectations possible. It seemed to have been hyped up on these boards so much, that there is no way it could have been as good as expected.

Having said that, i really did enjoy this film. Once I got past my bias, I have to admit, that the gore, action and tension were really all they were cracked up to be. Some of the dark humor actually had me chuckling in my easychair. I especially liked the airbag scene. I dont know if it was supposed to be fuunny, but It was so ironic that ***Spoiler*** the EMT was supposed to be helping the girl, and ended up being the one to kill her!! ***End Spoiler*** (at least that was my take on it.)

The kills were very original, and I never quite knew how the characters were going to be done in. It was the tension preceding the deaths that really got me. Excellent build up. You know you are watching a good film when you actually find yourself squirming in anticipation before the kills.

All in all, it wasnt the greatest horror film of all time, but definitley one of the top 5 of 2003.

Overall rating - 8/10

(Damn, guess I'll have to buy X-Nightcrawler a beer! No way could I have expected this to be as good as he raved.)

Last edited by Quiver; 07-22-2003 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Great movie! (10/10)
Old 07-23-2003, 05:32 AM
i really enjoyed it, very nice gore, loads and loads of it, very funny, the acting was pretty good although a couple of actors really annoyed me, i didn't especially think the ending was worthy of the film and is one of the reasons i didnt think it was as good as the original

one thing that it does have over the original is a much better accident at the beginning of the film

8/10
Old 07-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Re: Death is coming...

The only problem I had with this movie was the scene in the above picture. Her dying in that scene totally took my focus off the film. It was such a stupid death.

An insanely sharp thing is sticking out of her headrest just inches from her head, and the paramedics, who are the best people in the world at saving lives, aren't going to remove her from the car, or at least tell her to lie down so that she wont be near the pole? No, instead they just bang on the front end of the car, where everyone who knows anything about cars knows that that is where the airbag censors are, for no apparent reason. What happens? Airbag goes off, head snaps back, gets impaled on the pole.

Hmm. Nope. Dont think so.

Due to this scene, the movie for me went from a 9/10 to down to a 7.5. Still a good, gory, intense movie, but the stupidity on the part of the paramedics in this scene just ruined it for me.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Actually, in the script, it was the farmer who sat on the bumper that caused the airbag to deploy. Now that I watch the scene over again, there is no way that

**SPOILERS**

the spike would go through Kat's forehead, unless she was slumped down. Just look at the picture below. The spike is roughly OVER the size of her forehead combined, and when the bag did deploy, it would have been better for the spike to go into the middle of the head.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJadedGamer
**SPOILERS**

the spike would go through Kat's forehead, unless she was slumped down. Just look at the picture below. The spike is roughly OVER the size of her forehead combined, and when the bag did deploy, it would have been better for the spike to go into the middle of the head.
**SPOILERS**

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I remember her looking down just after she says "Thanks" to the paramedic. She goes down and then the airbag goes off, impaling her against the pole. But you're right, if that doesn't happen then it's impossible.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:49 AM

By the way...

TheJadedGamer: Could you please email me the script of the movie, or just post it here, I really wanna read it. Since the moment I heard about this movie I've been wanting to read it. I know it's included on the DVD, so could u please send it to me?
Old 07-24-2003, 11:46 AM
I didn't like this movie. Then again, I don't really like the first one either. The idea of 'death' out to get me doesn't scare me, and the only thing this one had going for it was the kills, which were pretty funny. Other than that it was boring and I couldn't wait for the next person to get it.

4/10
Old 07-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Quiver
(Damn, guess I'll have to buy X-Nightcrawler a beer! No way could I have expected this to be as good as he raved.)
I'm still waiting for that beer...
Old 07-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sad man
By the way...

TheJadedGamer: Could you please email me the script of the movie, or just post it here, I really wanna read it. Since the moment I heard about this movie I've been wanting to read it. I know it's included on the DVD, so could u please send it to me?
I will, let me go get it, I should have it done by tonight.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sad man
**SPOILERS**

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I remember her looking down just after she says "Thanks" to the paramedic. She goes down and then the airbag goes off, impaling her against the pole. But you're right, if that doesn't happen then it's impossible.
I don't know, but unless she was slumped the pool would have went through her entire head instead of her forehead, which would have made a cooler death.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:58 PM
*SEMI SPOILERS BELOW - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK*

I saw the first Final Destination going into it with low expectations, since it was advertised as your usual teen-slasher fare. To my surprise, I was blown away by a movie with a tight, original storyline, great pacing, and plenty of wit and style. I now consider the original a modern horror classic.

So going into Final Destination 2, my expectations were a bit higher. And I ended up being a bit disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie. It just didn't have the wit and style of the original, and it suffers from what affects most sequels: the "been there, done that" syndrome.

And while the first movie mixed imaginative, complex death scenes with sudden shocks (VROOOOM... *SPLAT*), everything in the sequel seem telegraphed and labored. I didn't much care for the plot holes and loose ends in FD2 either. (Why was the cop's life never threatened at all?)

I realize it sounds like I hated FD2, but I didn't. It was a fun watch, and definitely worth a rental. The actors played their parts well, the direction was servicable and the fx were great. It's a good movie; just not as good as the original.

Final Destination 2: 7 out of 10.
(In comparison, Final Destination: 9 out of 10.)
Old 07-24-2003, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJadedGamer
I will, let me go get it, I should have it done by tonight.
Ok thanks a lot!!!

I don't know about Kat's death though, you should check it out again. I would, but I don't have the DVD
Old 07-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Finally saw this the other night.
It was alright.....but after all the rave remarks from the Schmoes here, I was dissapointed. I`m too tired to write an actual review, so I`ll just go over a few points.

-The first movie didn`t exactly have well-drawn characters, but the sequel had almost nobody at all that I cared about. The only person I kinda liked was the druggie Rory (Johnathon Cherry). The teacher Eugene (T.C. Carson) was cool at first, but later on his acting got pretty cheesy and overdramatic IMO.
God help me, I MISSED DEVON SAWA AND SEANN WILLIAM SCOTT!!

- I really appreciated how the sequel made lots of little references to the original - I wasn`t expecting that. Like all the times the number '180' came up, and the crime scene photos of the people who died in the first movie.
Likewise, I thought it was fairly clever how the sequel tied-in to the original (involving the new characters).

-Tony Todd was embarressing and useless in his cameo here. In the original, I thought Todd was supposed to be Death incarnate. In the sequel, he starts out that way, all sinister and stuff....but later in the scene, all of a sudden he gets friendly and offers advice on 'new life'.
In the commentary the filmmakers even admit they threw him in the movie just for the hell of it.
And for the record, I STILL think he`s Death (I had an old topic about this).

-The first kill scene (kitchen fire) would`ve been a lot more effective without the Incubus song blaring in the background.

-The first movie had a dark, dread-filled atmosphere that this sequel was COMPLETELY lacking.

-How about the scene where the pregnant woman is in the jail cell, and the cop loads his gun and sits there POINTING THE GUN RIGHT AT HER!! Somebody needs to get 'Officer Stupid' off the force ASAP!

-And lastly......I had some MAJOR problems with the comedic tone this movie took. What on earth made the filmmakers think that a comedic tone would be good for a "Final Destination" sequel?
For example, what REALLY irked me, was the very last scene (the BBQ kid). Call me old-fashioned, but I don`t see what`s so funny about a young boy getting blown to pieces right in front of his whole family. Why is this supposed to be funny?
Now, if it had been an old, bald fat guy using the grill, THEN it might`ve been funny.....but a preteen kid?
I guess the reason the comedic tone bothered me so much is because in real life, real people really DO die in bizzare freak accidents every day. I`m sure none of their families ever found it humorous.
The first movie certainly didn`t make a joke out of the horrible plane crash, and the deaths that followed.
Also, how is the audiance supposed to be scared by whats going on when it`s obvious that the filmmakers aren`t taking it seriously.

In the end, I thought "FD2" was an alright sequel (it could`ve been much worse), but I liked the original much more (though it was far from perfect itself).
So far, neither "Final Destination" movie has lived-up to the cool premise IMO.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Regarding the kid 'blowing up', that was more of an ironic death than a humorous one.

He just said 'The cop pulled me out of the way of the news van and saved my life', then he gets up and goes to the grill and BOOM! I found humor in it because of how sudden and overdone it was.

You see a long shot and just outta nowhere KABOOM the kid blows to bits. It was just so unexpected and huge that it was hilarious.

Like the scene in Bride of Chucky when the dude steps out onto the highway and explodes as the truck hits him (actually before the truck hits him, but thats a different story). It just came outta nowhere and was so big and unexpected and gory, that it just induces laughter. I wasnt the only one at the theater that burst out laughing when it happened. It really caught everyone off guard, and thats why we all laughed.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Re: Re: Death is coming...

Quote:
Originally posted by jackson13

The only problem I had with this movie was the scene in the above picture. Her dying in that scene totally took my focus off the film. It was such a stupid death.

An insanely sharp thing is sticking out of her headrest just inches from her head, and the paramedics, who are the best people in the world at saving lives, aren't going to remove her from the car, or at least tell her to lie down so that she wont be near the pole? No, instead they just bang on the front end of the car, where everyone who knows anything about cars knows that that is where the airbag censors are, for no apparent reason. What happens? Airbag goes off, head snaps back, gets impaled on the pole.

Hmm. Nope. Dont think so.

Due to this scene, the movie for me went from a 9/10 to down to a 7.5. Still a good, gory, intense movie, but the stupidity on the part of the paramedics in this scene just ruined it for me.

I endlessly respect your opinion, but have in mind that the movie is not taking itself seriously or even trying to make sence (the number of plot holes is amazing) but in the end, it's just for the sake of good gory fun. Especially that scene, it was for the sake of a great death sequence. Although I loved that character.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Awesome movie. I liked Final Destination 1 better(Its in my favorites!), but this was a fun movie with shocking deaths! One that totally caught me off guard...
Clears death.
That kid Tims death was fucking painful to watch, as quick as it was...The pipe through the head was one for the books. Ending was hilarious!

7/10

I'm gonna watch this again as soon as I'm done my posting spree...he,he...
Old 08-01-2003, 12:18 AM
Final Destination 2

Cool. What else is there to say about this movie except...cool. As I sit here watching this for the 4th time this week (get a life...) I think to myself that this is either one of the funnest movies to come around in a long time now, or it is one of the best examples of filmmakers realizing there is no other route to making a sequel to one of the most original horror movies of the past 5 years than to make it as tounge-in-cheek and delightfully gory as possible. Either way, I still had a good time.
On the downside, this movie didn't have some of the best dialogue in the world. For example, when the characters are in Officer Burke's apartment and the kiak comes crashing through the window, Ali Larter's character suggests that "we need to safe-proof this death trap"...sigh. Wait, does that mean they need to turn the apartment into something that isnt safe? Like a waterproof watch? I scratch my head at the thought. Mostly though, the bad dialogue comes from Ali Larter, who looks she tries oh so hard to give a good performance, and A.J. Cook, god bless her. She gives one of the more believable performances of the movie, despite the lame lines at parts. On another note, the 2 characters I felt for the most were Kat (played by the lovely Keegan Connor Tracy) and Rory (played by Jonathan Cherry.) I mean, you knew they were doomed to no end, but at the same time you couldn't help but feel a bit sad when their time came.
Story wise, this movie gets the job done, considering the only returning face was from Ali Larter. The way it connects these folks to the ones in the first movie is believable, but it seems too "bare bones"...almost like a copout to make up for the fact that they ditched Devon Sawa's character. But who was paying attention to the story, anyways? The main star of the movie here is the kickass death scenes! Come on, that opening pileup? Pleeeeease....don't tell me that you actually felt like driving home from the theater after seeing it? Gonna go down in movie-car-crash history, I tell ya. And the gore...what kind of sick mofo's wrote this? These are some of the most demented killings I have ever seen. They catch you off guard, they make sure that you see the gore. Its in your face, can't miss it, stomach churning, and laughably sick. Special effects are top notch here. My personal favorite? Well...lets just say that I will never look at airbags the same way again.
All in all, Final Destination 2 delivers. Where the first one was dark and creepy, this one is just plain nasty, laugh-out-loud-even-if-you-don't-want-to, FUN. A worthy sequel that doesn't quite get you the way the first did, but it still holds a strong place in your heart.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:47 AM
I rewrote a review.

Plot:
Kimberly, an all around normal youth, is driving with her friends in Daytona bound Highway 23, much like the original, she has a premonition (hands down the harshest five minutes in my horror history) about a huge car pileup which not surprisingly comes true. Now, after cheating death, the dark entity sets off to clean house again...

Well, this film DVD release finally arrived and this Final Destination freak was the first one on the line and dare I say the FD2 DVD is one of the best I own. Obviously, I've seen it like ten thousand times, so I'm up to a review re write and once again, I know I shouldn't compare too much this one with the prequel but you'll get the picture.

Being the sequel to my favorite movie ever, this movie had quite a lot to accomplish, it had to stay true to the original's darkness and freshness, and this sequel managed to stay true to it but in a very different way: by tossing at us pure and unfiltered gory fun. This movie starts off very much like the original, with a pan across the main character's room, death, darkness and mucho foreshadowing ensues. But with a faster pace than the prequel, we go quickly into an extremely well directed harsh and disturbing (to say the least) car pile up sequece, unlike the first, the crash scene is much more staged and focused on scaring the fuck out of us with the realistic scene, the movie started out great. After it, it didn't get worse, but it didn't get better.

The script is this movie's biggest kick, the new writers seemed like they never cared about the original and just saw it seventeen times before writing the script. It is clear that they headed to do the same thing but with a small twist regarding the design and a more-fun-than-scary target, the fun comes mainly from the amazing death scenes which come in fresh, original and extremely gory. The script is very, VERY flawed: it has more plotholes than hell and some of the dialogue was too cheesy and make some good performances to look bad. But this movie's balls are mostly shown when you see a mother-son relationship...aww. The link they added to connect the two felt fresh but unthoughtful boarding on lazy.

This is quicly forgiven, why? because it is not taking itself seriously and it's clearly not trying to make any sense! It is filled with a slick humor that I loathed at first...but I welcome it now. David R. Ellis (director) made it happen with his death scenes, he collects more and more suspence to deliver one hell of a gory wrap up in everyone, he has BALLS, something essencial in horror movie directing. But apart from his UBER death scenes, he amazed me the most with the car pile up (I didn't want to ride a car back home) which is so amazingly directed that it should be illegal! The rest of the movie has very quick one-shot takes full of motion and great screen transitions (genius)...he made the movie look fresh without having a 'pop music' video feel. If he only added a little atmosphere...

The characters are ok at some level, half of them are only good looking puppets with the words 'I will die a horrible death' stamped on their foreheads. But what I need to mention is that the cast is a much, MUCH more cheery looking bunch than the first one, they charm you up from frame one...so you don't have much more choice than caring for them. Some of the acting was off but some was astounding, Linda Boyd (for one) plays the caring mother so fucking well that I couldn't believe James Kirk (Tim) was not her son. The only problem I have with the acting would be Ali Larter's intro performance in the mental hospital, she looked like she wanted to get the job done and collect her paycheck quickly, but she grew better later on. Michael Landes was good most of the time, but the scene in the gas station made him look so stupid by the dialogue ("That would be an easy conversation to have"...sheesh)...Tony Todd shows up for a few seconds again, the scene is pointless and slow...again. But it's all in the name of gory fun.

So, when the movie was over, I had to take a time to catch my breath and recollect by balls, I walked off the cinema and said to my pals: "Shit! Why can't every movie be this much fun!?" I started my day in a great way and I am sure as hell looking forward for the next entry in this immortal series.

Gore:
Death is truly PISSED OFF in here. I won't detail the gore here (see below for a detailed review if urged to know) but I must say that they are out there, graphic and ballsy to say the least. Whoo-hoo!!

Overall Rating:
"9/10" Final Destination 2 is a sequel that works, it has cheese and it knows it, I was happy in the end.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Am I the only one who thought the plane crash in the original was more frightening than the sequel`s car pile-up?

I liked the car crash, but it seemed very staged to me, whereas the plane crash seemed very spontanous and lifelike.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:01 AM
CAST

Ali Larter Ö Clear Rivers
A.J. Cook Ö Kimberly Corman
Michael Landes Ö Thomas Burke
T.C. Carson Ö Eugene Dix

ACTING

Ali Larter (Clear) did a wonderful job in this one as the tough gal. A.J. Cook (Kimberly) was very emotional in this one, and I fail for her. Michael Landes (Thomas) was sympathetic and low key, very likeable. T.C. Carson (Eugene) plays the stubborn dude, and does a decent job.

VIOLENCE (may contain spoilers)

We get huge traffic accident early on, and nearly everybody coughed up blood while getting killed. We also get a ladder to the eye, a body smashed by falling object, a decapitation, impaling to the back of the head, and someone getting cut in three.

SEXUALITY (may contain spoilers)

We get a biker girl flashing her titties as the only nudity. Also some sweet kisses and a brief moment with A.J. Cook in her bra.

SOUNTRACK

The music in this one is very tense and sometimes creepy, usually leading to cool kills.

SCORE 7/10

A fun and enjoyable ride if youíre watching with an audience.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:29 PM

I went into Final Destination with low expectations. And I was so suprised at how great it was. And it is easily one of my most favorite movies.

I went into Final Destination 2 with low expectations simply because it was a sequel. But this really stood up to the orginal. I was shocked and stunned which never happens to me in any movie. And the fact they left absolutely nothing to the imagination was so kick ass. 9/10 LOVED IT!
Old 08-02-2003, 08:07 PM

SPOILER-FREE

In 2000, Final Destination was met with fulsome approval from horror freaks. While I dug the film on a technical level, I didnít drool over it as much as my fellow miscreants did. Had it been conceived ten years earlier, it wouldnít have been debased with the foul stench of the modern day slasher. Screamís unfortunate (and unintentional) influence on the genre carried over into the filmís script, soiling it with hollow characterizations. The jock, the jockís bubbly girlfriend, the outcast...what should have risen above slasher pitfalls ultimately conceded to them. I hypothesized that the sequel would be a mature step-up from its predecessor. It seemed meatier in tone and the cast was more to my liking. But there I go having expectations again. As it turns out, Final Destination 2 takes one too many cues from the first film, materializing as yet another dumb slasher masquerading as something a bit more novel.

This is essentially a rehash of the original. Instead of a plane crash triggering the chain of events and creating a rift in Deathís design, a cataclysmic pile-up on a busy stretch of highway inaugurates the narrative. Those who ďcheatedĒ Death suddenly become accident prone and perish in gruesome, CGI-enhanced ways. In spite of this flick feeling tired and paper-thin, I prefer it to the original. Slick camerawork, a charming lead, and gore, gore, gore can go a long way, I suppose. The plot trips over itself here and there, though. If Death, or a supernatural force posing as Death, is omnipotent enough to determine how, when, and where you die, how can it be deluded so easily? Furthermore, why would it allow a ďpremonitionĒ to occur if it gets so goaded over a flaw in its design? Or does Death not have any control over a personís clairvoyance? If thatís the case, itís too much of a coincidence that Kimberly Corman discovers her clairvoyance on the one-year anniversary of Flight 180ís infamous detonation. Argh, whatever.

If youíre holding off on seeing FD2 because youíve yet to see the first film, fret not. Weíre brought up to speed on a number of occasions to the point of it becoming redundant. A guest on a talk show, a radio announcer, one of the side characters...everyone ensures that youíre not disoriented by the storyline. Of course, if youíve already seen the first film, youíll feel like youíre watching Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2. You have to wonder what set of standards the MPAA abides by when deciding what is and what isnít ďtoo much.Ē For whatever reason, they didnít find the undue atrocities on display to be objectionable, and for once in our lives, we stand to gain something from their inconsistency. The bloodshed really wasnít as endemic as I was led to believe, but there was plenty of squishy violence to placate this degenerate gorehound. If thereís one thing that I didnít like about the death sequences, itís that the curt payoff wasnít always worth the elaborate build-up.

The cast is wobbly, but itís headlined by A.J. Cook, so who am I to complain? The goddess to end all goddesses turns in a layered performance and reduces her co-stars to rubble. She loses her balance with a couple of ghastly lines, but I blame the screenwriters (and Iím certainly not biased or anything). Michael Landes is bland as Thomas, refusing to give the role a dollop of personality. Ali Larter didnít impress me much in the original, but sheís decent this time around as a wary, evasive Clear Rivers. Since everyone else is poorly written, she seems somewhat fleshed out in comparison. Tony Todd reprises his role as the ambiguous Mr. Bludworth for a cameo the size of a...cameo. A disappointment. He should have either been illustrated as the embodiment of death or simply as a more prominent character. As it stands, his talent is wasted yet again.

With the exceptions of Kim and Clear, itís hard to warm up to anyone. We get cardboard cutouts such as stoners, the guy who doesnít take anything seriously, and the superficial chick who has a cell phone grafted onto the side of her face. Iíll reiterate that this series should transcend slasher caricatures. Perhaps if I were in the mood to take in a mindless slasher, it wouldnít have bothered me so much, but I just wasnít. I had more cons to get out of my system than pros, but I did enjoy Final Destination 2. Director David R. Ellis laminated the film with gleaming imagery, an eerie atmosphere, and imaginative scene transitions. The pace is charged, and although there isnít as much beneath the surface as I was hoping there would be, I had fun with the whole shebang. It has been proposed that a third installment should kick off with a calamitous rollercoaster mishap. Cool idea, but I canít see another sequel being anything more than another rehash.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:01 PM
ok am i the only one who saw the stupidity in this movie? i wanna go over a few things..but first i must say i had high expectations for this movie...and i was sadly dissapointed..first off..the opening crash wasnt anything very special...now on with the plot...which is where most of the problems arose...u mean to tell me AJ cook has survived death for over a year? now yes i know she locked herself into a padded room...but dosnt she need to eat and drink? surely if death can make a ladder fall thro ur eye it can make u choke on food...the whole "u cant escape death" was totally proven wrong...but lets skip that part...altho she is a major hottie, i wanted her to die right away..she was the sole survivor of flight 180 i figired death would get her right from the get go....but 4 others had to die first...it just didnt fit with me...and these deaths...altho creative, the ppl were stupid..one scene i remember is the kitchen fire where the whole wall is nearly ablaze and the stupid guy is slapping it with this little towel lmao..i never laughed so hard...death had the day off, these ppl were stupid enough they were nearly killing themselves...i really dont wanna bitch out this movie too much but i know its already too late. i just was real dissapointed at some of those loop holes..but major props for offing 2 kids in one movie, we need more of that
Old 08-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaRkToOtH
u mean to tell me AJ cook has survived death for over a year? now yes i know she locked herself into a padded room...but dosnt she need to eat and drink? surely if death can make a ladder fall thro ur eye it can make u choke on food...
Yeah, I'm not sure how she evaded Death in a mental institution. Surely she needed a mode of transportation to get to the mental institution. Even if she walked, she could've gotten hit by a car. She's not even safe in a padded cell. Couldn't Death give her a degenerative disease? And why wouldn't she just go ahead and commit suicide if her only plans are to waste away in a nuthouse?

PS-You're thinking of Ali Larter, not A.J. Cook.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:14 PM
alas, i stand corrected...glad to see someone shares my point of view and yes she is still a major hottie, even tho her name escapes me..she kinda reminds me of bridgette wilson
Old 08-05-2003, 04:22 PM
one last bit of complaining and im done...do the characters in either of those movies have any character? lets go back to the first one...when sean william scott is decapitated...wheres the mourning? all they do is like "wow deaths plan was altered...we should get out of here" and THATS IT...nothing else to it. most ppl mourn over the deaths of there freinds...and part 2 strikes again when the cute hottie gets the pole thro the head (VERY stupid death btw), there was no reaction at all..and when the crackhead (god bless his soul) gets it..there like.."lets go to the hospital" i mean these ppl have no feelings or remorse in them at all, it made both movies seem way too fake..thats enough of my complaining and i wanna at least say i like the idea both movies carry, and they both have awesome deaths, but these unfeeling characters and plot holes just arent cutting it for me, hope fd3 makes a better impression
Old 08-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaRkToOtH

the opening crash wasnt anything very special...
I agree. The plane crash in Part 1 was much more frightening..

Quote:

u mean to tell me AJ cook has survived death for over a year? now yes i know she locked herself into a padded room...but dosnt she need to eat and drink? surely if death can make a ladder fall thro ur eye it can make u choke on food...
I guess she made sure to chew good before she swallowed!

Quote:

one scene i remember is the kitchen fire where the whole wall is nearly ablaze and the stupid guy is slapping it with this little towel lmao..i never laughed so hard...
Yeah that WAS kinda stupid. Plus when the microwave catches fire, he`s STILL trying to get his damn ring out of the garbage disposal! Dude, WORRY ABOUT THE FIRE FIRST!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:06 AM
I think his watch was stuck. I think it was his "fate" to win the lottery, thus he gets the watch and puts it on but just so happens he puts it on right before the ring goes in the disposal. For every action there is a reaction...

But on that note, I found it kinda stupid when all those tubes and carts and air vents moved by themselves in Eugene's hospital room...that defeats the purpose of the "action/reaction" thing.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:26 AM
I Don't write long reveiws so here are my thoughts and opinions on this movie.

It Freakin' Rocked!!! The deaths were more creative then on FD. I loved it so much, the first time i rented it i went out and bought it. A.J. Cook, is such a amazing actress she played the part well. I loved the blood and gore, and the elivator death is my favorite. I'm giving this movie a solid 10/10
Old 08-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceMutt07
I think his watch was stuck. I think it was his "fate" to win the lottery, thus he gets the watch and puts it on but just so happens he puts it on right before the ring goes in the disposal. For every action there is a reaction...

But on that note, I found it kinda stupid when all those tubes and carts and air vents moved by themselves in Eugene's hospital room...that defeats the purpose of the "action/reaction" thing.
I have to agree.I totally don't understand why that even happened to Eugene.It made no sense to me at all.Can someone explain it to me?