Old 03-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Summer Of Night by Dan Simmons

Summer Of Night by Dan Simmons was mentioned in another thread and I was instantly reminded of one of the best horror books i've ever read. In fact this book is one of the most gripping i've ever read irrespective of genre. If you are a fan of Stephen King when he's operating at the top of his game then I urge you to check this book out as it's more enjoyable than anything King has produced (and i'm a huge fan of his). Has anyone read it?
Old 03-16-2003, 11:04 AM

Yes, I'm reading it. I hope to finish it today, only 50 pages...
It's a very good book, all I have read from Dan Simmons has something that enters directly to my brain and soul and stays there like a splinter... Hyperion and Phases of Gravity had the same effect on me.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:18 AM
Summer Of Night contained one of the most heartbreaking, shocking scenes i've ever read in a book. It really came out of the left field. I remember having to put the book down and actually cursing Dan Simmons for fucking with my emotions so badly. If you only have 50 pages left i'm certain you know the scene i'm talking about but I don't want to mention it in case anyone else reads the book. Really fucked me up. It's a brilliant, brilliant book.

Have you read Children Of The Night. I've had it sitting on my shelf for a number of years now and keep meaning to pick it up.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Finished!

Just a word to describe it: Amazing

And not only because of being one of the scariest books I've ever read, but because of the huge humanity of its characters, something that Dan Simmons does really, really well. You feel them as a piece of yourself... and that makes the scariness run deeply!

As for the book you've mentioned, I don't know it, but maybe is because of the translation of the title. Who's its author? What's it about?

PS: pm me and tell me what's that scene, I can't think of only one between ALL the scary scenes that had me heart-shocked!
Old 03-16-2003, 07:53 PM
I've read some of this, its pretty good.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:05 AM
I think that ultimately, Simmons is a better writer than Stephen King, but I'm surprised at your comment that Summer of Night is better than anything King's produced - and I'm more a Simmons fan than a King fan.

Isn't Summer of Night basically a rehash of King's It? I thought it was OK, but Simmons has done way better stuff, IMO. The King novel mentioned above had a tighter narrative and seemed more King's "thang". Simmons has dabbled in a number of genres (both successfully and unsuccessfully), and while this book is nowhere near bad, I just felt that it was kind of like a King "emulation".

I think that Simmons' best material is the Hyperion saga (four books - one of the best stories I've ever read) and The Hollow Man (it's got nothing to do with the Verhoeven movie), along with maybe Carrion Comfort. Lately he's been doing crime novels, and again, while they're competent, they're not anything special.

Great writer with amazing potential, but some of his choices are a little weird. Having said this, I agree that King fans will enjoy Summer of Night.

BTW, is Children of the Night the Simmons book with the AIDS orphans in Romania? That was pretty good.

For fans of Simmons, I think he's trying to close a movie deal for Hyperion (the first book in the series)... It sounds exciting.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lyle Waggoner
I think that Simmons' best material is the Hyperion saga (four books - one of the best stories I've ever read)

For fans of Simmons, I think he's trying to close a movie deal for Hyperion (the first book in the series)... It sounds exciting.
I've read the first one (excellent) and i'm looking now for the rest of the saga. BTW, I don't see it as a possible movie, it's too complex and has too important material to make a good movie from it (IMO).