Old 03-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Stephen Hawking...

Just wondering what everyone thinks about his books and lectures. Am I the only one who gets lost after 2 chapters?
Old 03-18-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm sure your not, but on a lighter note: did ya see The Simpsons episode he guested on? Funny stuff.

"Hey- Larry Flynt's right!"
- Homer(when referring to Stephen Hawking)
Old 03-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Simpsons

Steven Hawking: Your theory on the doughnut shaped univerese is intriguing, Homer, I may have to steal it.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:34 PM
"Wow. Someone I've never heard of his hanging out with a guy like me."-Homer
Old 03-19-2003, 10:19 PM
The Simpsons and Steven Hawking rule!

Lisa:" Oh, Dr. Hawking, we had such a beautiful dream. What went wrong?"

Hawking: "Don't feel bad, Lisa. Sometimes the smartest of us can be the most childish."

Lisa: "Even you?"

Hawking: "No. Not me. Never."

Old 03-23-2003, 06:37 AM
Hawking

I've always had a lot of respect for Hawking. He got me interested in science when I was 15 and I haven't looked back since. In fact, the reason I read A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME when I was fifteen was because I was sick of a few boys in my school who used to talk about Quantum Mechanics all the time even though I knew they didn't know anything about it. So, I bought A BRIEF HISTORY at the start of our midterm break and started reading it and I was amazed how readable and entertaining and understandable it was.

In fact, during the week it took to read it, I couldn't sleep. I went to bed every night with my mind full of ideas about the universe! I couldn't stop thinking about that stuff - it was like my brain had been opened wide and filled up with all sorts of new concepts. A lot of people tell me they couldn't read the book - but I think they would understand it if they persevered.

However, A BRIEF HISTORY is the only really good book Hawking wrote. His follow-up, BLACK HOLES AND BABY UNIVERSES was very disjointed and was really nothing more than a random collection of essays, lectures and interviews. It's enjoyable to read, yes, but it won't expand your mind the way A BRIEF HISTORY will.

There's another science writer called John Gribbin who I would also recommend. Gribbin has written a huge number of books on QM, genetics and all sorts of thrilling aspects of science. He's easier to read than Hawking because he spends a lot more time writing about and explaining science than coming up with theories. Actually, Gribbin doesn't come up with any theories - he just explains other people's theories and he does it extremely well.

I recommend IN SEARCH OF SCHRODINGERS cat as the most exciting book on Quantum Mechanics. It's also a great 'bluffers guide' on the subject!

Read IN SEARCH OF SCHRODINGERS CAT and then give A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME another go - I guarantee you'll understand most of it then.

And after you've read those books, give Richard Dawkins a go. His books CLIMBING MOUNT IMPROBABLE and THE BLIND WATCHMAKER will explain lots of mysteries to you...and it will give you amazing ammo for arguing with creationists and fundamentalist christians!

Last edited by EoghainFOKeeffe; 03-23-2003 at 07:15 AM..
Old 03-29-2003, 09:32 PM
I want a badass computer that speaks to you like stephen hawkings has.

i havent read any of his books but that computer is badass.