Old 04-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Roald Dahl

Anyone else a fan of this man? I consider him perhaps the finest childrens author ever and I still (I'm 21 now) find myself picking up The BFG, Matilda and Charlie And The Chicolate Factory to re-read.

He's never really been well served by cinema, in particular The BFG was awful, and very poorly animated and Matilda, while not BAD didn't do much for me. Read the books.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:46 PM
The thing I'll always remember about Roald Dahl is that he wrote the screenplay for the Bond film You Only Live Twice. For some reason, I find that hilarious.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Oh man, Roald Dahl is the best! He was my favorite author as a little one. Most people say Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is his best, but I was always to James & the Giant Peach. Anyway, I sorely miss him.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:15 PM
My favorite of his books is Danny, Champion of the World. Absolutely classic.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Dahl was a brilliant man for conjuring up all these masterpeices but seriously, what kind of man invents Oompa Loompas?
Old 04-06-2003, 04:12 PM
As a kid, "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" was one of my favorite books. His books are classics, in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:22 PM
I LOVE Roald Dahl's books!

Matilda, The Witches, the B.F.G., Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Glass Elevator, The Fantastic Foxes...the list goes on and on!

He was a true genius
Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
The Witches was the one of Dahls books that really did translate to the screen well. Is there a dvd?

Also has anyone read Boy, the first of his 2 autobiographies? It's filled with stories as fantastic as many from his fiction.

Finally; look how his granddaughter Sophie (for whom the little Girl in The BFG is named) grew up.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:42 PM
I did read Boy, actually. I remember being horrified at some parts when I was 6 years old. I loved the book, though, and read it several times.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Great man, who wrote many a good book. He also wrote the interesting short story "Lamb to the Slaughter". Read it this year, I really liked it.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:52 PM
Rahld Dahl is great Charlie and the Choclate Factory is my favorite of all his books.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate6
Oh man, Roald Dahl is the best! He was my favorite author as a little one. Most people say Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is his best, but I was always to James & the Giant Peach. Anyway, I sorely miss him.
I loved James and His Big Ass Peach No, I realy loved that book.