Old 01-23-2003, 01:05 AM
Book Covers

When you're in a book store are you more drawn to a book that has an interesting cover? I know I am, if a book has a good cover then I'll pick it up and see what it is about. That doesn't mean I'll buy it but a good cover always helps me pick my reading material.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Quote:
if a book has a good cover then I'll pick it up and see what it is about.
I guess I do this quite a bit. When I wander around shops looking at books I tend to have no intention of buying any, though. So yeah, I'll pick up books I've never heard of and maybe read a couple of reviews later.

Thinking about it, all the books I've bought have either been things that everyone's read (LOTR, 1984 etc) or I really like the author - so I don't think the cover's really had an effect on what I've bought. (although I've bought books based on amazon's recommendations too )
Old 01-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Yeah, books are my thing but strangely enough, I even judge by the spine. When I'm at the library I skim through the books and whenever a spine catches my attention (cool color, lettering, etc) I'll pick it up. I've found some cool books this way.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:51 PM
I rarely go through a bookstore or library and pick out a random book. If I buy one, it's usually because I need it, or it's one I'm looking for that was referred to me.

But if I do browse for any book, I'm compelled to at least look at it, perhaps buy it.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:49 PM
I really like this cover. Using Basquiats Art work with this poem was genius.

Old 02-19-2003, 12:16 AM
Definitely. Usually if the cover grabs me I'll pick it up and look at it. Strangely the second thing that draws me (aside from author, genre, etc) is the title. If the title intrigues me I'll consider it. Which probably explains why I haven't read too many Bently Little books.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:10 PM
look up ANGELS AND DEMONS online. that cover can freka your ass out. well a little.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:58 PM
The cover of my old, beat-up copy of Catcher in the Rye is actually why I read it. I has a picture of Holden with his backwards cap, and says: This UNUSUAL book may SHOCK you, may make you LAUGH, may make you CRY, but you will never forget it.

It's the Signet Books paperback 50 cent edition, just for reference.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:14 AM
Covers.

Covers influence me, yes. Especially if I don't already know anything about the writer. Ironically, I hate the way Charles Bukowski books FEEL - they make me feel ill. I hate that rough texture, it feels so cheap and nasty. I love his books though, so I'll buy them anyway.

One of my favourite covers is a horror book from Cemetary Dance Publication. It's CUTS by Richard Laymon and the cover shows a woman's naked stomach with the title of the book sliced into her flesh! How evocative! In fact, all the Cemetary Dance edition look fantastic.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the night watchman
Definitely. Usually if the cover grabs me I'll pick it up and look at it. Strangely the second thing that draws me (aside from author, genre, etc) is the title. If the title intrigues me I'll consider it. Which probably explains why I haven't read too many Bently Little books.
I just checked out a couple of his novels from the library. Their titles are dull but is he a good writer?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:23 PM
I've read two Bently Little books: "University" (aka "Night School" in England), which was highly entertaining, and "Dominion," which was probably one of the worst horror novels I've ever read. Go figure. BTW, I attended Cal State Fullerton for two semesters, which is Little's alma mater. A professor who taught a creative writing class I took had Little as a student and still keeps in contact with him. The college in "University" is modelled after Cal State Fullerton.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:43 AM
i tend to look more for specific authors that have been recommended to me by friends, so i dont normally take huge amounts of notice of the cover. in fact, i dont think i have ever bought a book on the strength of the cover alone...
Old 04-11-2003, 09:42 AM
I'm more effected by the title and the blurb than the cover, I buy few books on impulse, ones that haven't been reccommended to me or that I really want to read due to reviews etc. When I do buy books that I've never heard of I don't care what the cover looks like because more often than not the cover art is nothing to do with the author, while the title if imaginative and witty is indicative of the author's writing style and skill, atleast to me anyway.

It is however a very cool bonus if a book has a memorable cover, just because it looks good in your collection, I love the Ashraf Bey series of books by Jon Courtenay Grimwood and the covers are so individual they stand out so much and just look good in any collection of books.

<OB>
Old 04-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by [SD] Bob Plisskin
I'm more effected by the title and the blurb than the cover
Blurbs aren't always as reliable as you might think. Sometimes they are just invented by the author and most of the time they are gathered from other writers the author knows. And who's going to refuse to give a good blurb to his friend's book?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:25 AM
This is true, but I too am suckered by them nonetheless.