Old 11-16-2001, 08:04 PM
Reviews: Three Kings

JoBlo's 7/10 review of THREE KINGS can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/threekings.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended =
Not recommended =
In the middle =
Old 11-17-2001, 05:05 PM
Well, this one was different wasn't it? You can't even pigeonhole it into a specific category. It has drama, action, satire, social commentary, everything! Admittedly it's a bit slow in the middle, but we can't have everything now can we?

7/10.

PS: Remember the part where the cow got blown up? Classic gallows humor!
Old 11-19-2001, 04:07 PM
Three Kings

Summary: Kings Deserves to Be a Classic

--10/04/99>

Three Kings is clearly one of the most original, fresh, and provocative films of this year.

First, there was Rushmore, The Matrix, Southpark, The Sixth Sense, The Iron Giant, and now Three Kings. Although not nearly as great, Three Kings is thoroughly set in the vein of Great, absurdist warfare movies like M.A.S.H. and Apocalypse Now.

Had I been someone who solely relied on movie trailers to encourage or discourage me from seeing a picture, I would have regrettably missed out on this exciting film. For me, George Clooney has yet to be a successful leading man at the box office, and Ice Cube . Well, Ice Cube is Ice Cube. So, a movie having those two in it wouldn't exactly make me salivate at the chance to part with my time and money to go see it. In fact, before seeing Three Kings, I had more respect for the talents of Mark Wahlberg than either of those two. Nonetheless, my doubts about the film were for naught!

Three Kings is so multi-faceted that it cannot be pigeonholed into a 60-second vision byte. Yes, there is action as the movie trailer overemphasizes, but if that is all you're interested in, then this film is not for you. The action in Kings is not for its own sake, but is merely another element in the story, just like dialogue and visuals. Too many times, persons who make movie trailers cater to the lowest common denominator - as though no one the audience has ever seen a truck blow up before. How misleading! Instead, Three Kings is hilarious; action-packed; thought-provoking; cynical; balletically violent; at times, beautifully sorrowful; bitingly sharp in its commentary on American consumerism and materialism, and mercilessly critical of the Bush administration's Gulf War policies.

It's the best film I've seen since The Sixth Sense. Only, Three Kings is wholly more apt, and deservedly so, at becoming a classic.

Rating: 7.5 to 8/10

[This message has been edited by hypotheses (edited 11-19-2001).]
Old 11-25-2001, 11:57 AM
I think you guys already said all there was to say about this flick, at least the essential, but I'll drop my two cents anyway.

THREE KINGS is one of those rare movies that are funny, dramatic, serious and action-packed all at the same time. No need to tell you that mixing such a cocktail is difficult. But here, it's wonderfully done: the directing seemed simply fabulous to me. The shots of what a bullet wound could do inside your body will stick in my mind as some of the most impressive I've ever seen, by the way, and I consider them a must-see!
The acting is excellent too, exception made of Ice Cube, who didn't really impress me. But the basic strength of this movie was, to me, its script: you can't class it in any genre. The only thing you can tell about it, is that it's a satire...and that it's good.

8.5/10
Old 04-15-2003, 02:02 AM
THREE KINGS (8.5/10)

Easily one of the best modern war films....and ranking right alongside MASH & CATCH 22 for originality and biting observational humour.

Arguably more relevant now than ever this film is must see.