Old 11-16-2001, 07:09 PM
Reviews: Traffic

JoBlo's 8/10 review of TRAFFIC can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/traffic.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended =
Not recommended =
In the middle =
Old 11-17-2001, 05:02 PM
I think everyone should see this one to get an idea of what the "War on Drugs" is really about. I've heard that real-life narcotics officers who have seen the film said it changed their perspective. I mean, wow, that's saying something!

It is of the richest irony that the new "drug czar" has to deal with drug addiction in has own family. The point is, everyday people do drugs, not just gangsters or dealers. It's depressing but it's true.

8/10.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:48 PM
The movie "Traffic" demonstrates that the Drug War is a lost cause that only creates problems. Interesting how, in the movie, Mexico doesn't have as big of a problem with drugs as the US, yet WE have the Drug War and all these politicians trying to clean up our streets, while Mexico has a very loose handle on drugs. Or how all of these aniti-drug politicians look toward increased government spending and tighter border policies as the solution to any drug related problem. It is apparent in the end that all of the strugle through out the move didn't help anything. The river of drugs flows as freely as before, and all that happened because of the Drug War was that a lot of people died, a lot of innocent people. Violence increases as drug control increases. If it weren't for the Drug War, the crime rate would drop and our streets would be safer. People are going to get drugs if they want them, and if they need the harder drugs are to get, the higher extremes people will go to in order to get them. I recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see what the drug situation is really like,instead of hiding behind the modern day idea that "drugs are bad and we need to get drugs off the street". The Drug War can not be won. Drug Tzar Robert Wakefield (Michael Douglas) finally realizes this. Do you? -EJ
Old 04-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Political intrigue directed by Steven Soderbergh starring Michael Douglas as a judge earnestly taking on the job of national drug czar. Douglas becomes the common point in number of interrelated stories, including the personal crisis of his own daughter's addiction. Soderbergh goes to a great deal of trouble to include all aspects of the drug problem, and to make an intelligent statement about the 'war on drugs'. The result is that as the film becomes a more monumental achievement, it sacrifices entertainment value and runs a tad long.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:12 PM
I suppose that it might seem a bit long on a first viewing, but I think-I hope-that repeatedly watching it will make things flow better. I mean it's not a "plot" movie, it's an ensemble piece, so have some patience.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:47 AM
This is how to make a multi-character story, have it run on several tracks (only occasionally interescting), and have it all work brilliantly. Great cast. I'm so happy to see Douglas, with this film, and the terrific Wonder Boys, break out of the career douldrums (playing the same out-of-patience rich white guy) in almost every film he's done since his fine turn in Black Rain. A lot of the smaller parts are filled w/ guys like Steven Bauer, Luis Guzman and Miguel Ferrer, who add believability to everything they appear in. Don Cheadle is great, (as always). Catherine Zeta-Jones has a rich, multi-faceted part, that she's really up to the task of. Benjamin Bratt has a cameo that's equal parts sinister and droll. Benecio Del Toro's performance, as the conflicted Mexican cop, is the movie's centerpiece, and his Oscar was well-deserved. He's always interesting. A wonderful film, both as entertainment and as a thoughtful look at the drug war. No easy answers here, or there. Good stuff.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:06 AM
An excellent movie! It's a realistic depiction of what the war on drugs really is, and although it's a delicate problem, the script does a great job with it by showing us the points of view of several different characters. Steven Soderbergh masterfully directs the movie (the play on colours is great). The acting is perfect (Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones and especially Benicio Del Toro), the editing is perfect...great movie.

9.5/10
Old 04-21-2002, 10:19 PM
I wanted to leave Traffic before it was over.

Instead of watching the movie, I wish I had just been told the main conflicts.
I didn't need to watch kids getting messed up to appreciate a child's or a father's pain from it. I've seen it all in movies before. Messed up kids with parents in high moral standing in the community. Sure, this Father was on a national podium, but the emotional conflict was the same. However, Michael Douglas's public speech was very sad and honest. It's one of the things I wish I had just been told about.
Is there a corruption in this movie that we haven't seen before?
When I think of Traffic, I think of a Father with an amplified problem, a corrupt military, good cops fighting the futile fight, and one unique way to get coke across the border.
The colour schemes that it was set to, can be analysed to good reason, but they just made me nauseous.
Maybe the whole topic is supposed to be nauseating. But even if that's so, and if it's an excellent depiction of reality, that doesn't make it an entertaining movie. It makes it excellent material for a documentary on tv, where more people would have access to this "valuable" information free of charge.
Traffic tries to sadden through content, but it just made me sad.
3/10
Old 07-12-2002, 06:45 AM
Traffic is the best fuckin' movie ever made! I just love soderberghs way of directing and the editing - ah hell, love everything about this movie! It is spectacular. And folks, that is not all, Salma Hayek's little appearance, showing of her lovely ass is beautiful.

I think that a better movie is never going to be made...

Yo Pati, where you at?

TaZ

[This message has been edited by Taz (edited 07-12-2002).]
Old 07-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Traffic is fantastic! The politic proposal and the mexican police debated by the drug traffic is unusual and great definited.

And the adollescent drama related by the drugs is taked in an excellent way in this movie, that is one of my favorite.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:20 PM
I put this movie in the category of "Maybe Just A Tad Overrated." Not bad, mind you, quite good actually. Just not the greatest movie ever. The part where the DEA guy gets killed is predictable, Catherine Zeta Jones's part underwhelmed me a bit. Michael Douglas was serviceable, as always. Benicio del Toro definitely put in the most believable performance, and deserved all the accolades he got.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:51 AM
This is a movie first and foremost about the business of drug trafficking and only indirectly about the effects on people involved in it on either end. The screenplay, in all its complexity and fact spouting, though endlessly fascinating - tends to alienate the viewer. To its credit, a lot of the dialogue feels refreshingly natural and unstilted, but the movie lacks the emotionally draining effect of say, “Requiem for a Dream.”
Part of the reason for this lies in the direction. Soderbergh’s decision to give the film’s interweaving stories distinctly different visual identities will be appreciated by anyone who, much like myself, has trouble keeping track of who’s who and what’s where in big ensemble pieces, but it does go to extremes. The most striking are the monochrome yellows in scenes taking place in Mexico. This footage creates the impression of one long hot day in the dusty desert, while the first scenes of Michael Douglas in court shot in a steal blue have a cold, almost surgical feel to them.
All of the cast is excellent, but particular standouts are Benicio del Torro and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Arguably the first time she has shown true dramatic potential, Zeta-Jones gives a heart-wrenching performance as the wife of a major drug lord who is forced to go into the business herself once her husband is sent to jail. It was the only of the storylines that held any real emotional impact, in her transformation from blissfully ignorant society girl to desperate and ruthless woman who will refrain from nothing to keep her family and her home together.

7/10