Old 08-03-2001, 10:35 PM
When Harry Met Sally

A film by Rob Reiner
Title: When Harry Met Sally (1989)
Stars: Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal, Carrie Fisher, and Bruno Kirby
Running Time: 1 hour and 36 minutes

When Harry Met Sally, in my opinion, is the best Romantic Comedy EVER made. I don't see how anyone could not love this movie. I've watched it over and over and I'm still not sick of it. This movie never fails to put a smile on my face. This movie is the most romantic and funniest of all the romantic comedies I've ever seen. I've had everyone I know watch it and not a single person didn't like it. I love the conversations between Harry (Billy Crystal) and Sally (Meg Ryan), they are very interesting and funny and not the least bit boring. My favorite would have to be Harry's theory that men and women can't be friends, because the sex thing always gets in the way. And I have to say I agree with him on this, every single female I've ever been friends with I've wanted to be more than friends with. That's just the way it works.

Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
Sally Albright: Why not?
Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: You only think you do.
Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
Sally Albright: They do not!
Harry Burns: Do too.
Sally Albright: They do not.
Harry Burns: Do too.
Sally Albright: How do you know?
Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
Harry Burns: I guess not.
Sally Albright: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York.

I also love the way Sally orders food, with almost everything on the side, it's classic and always amuses me.

Sally Albright: I'd like the chef salad please with oil and vinegar on the side, and the apple pie a la mode.
Waitress: Chef and apple a la mode.
Sally Albright: But I'd like the pie heated, and I don't want the ice cream on top. I want it on the side, and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it. If not, then no ice cream, just
whipped cream, but only if it's real. If it's out of the can, then nothing.
Waitress: Not even the pie?
Sally Albright: No, just the pie, but then not heated.

And the famous Meg Ryan faking an oragasm scene, "I'll have what she's having," says one of the other customers, that's damn funny stuff.

[Harry and Sally discussing orgasms]

Sally Albright: Most women at one time or another have faked it.
Harry Burns: Well, they haven't faked it with me.
Sally Albright: How do you know?
Harry Burns: Because I know.
Sally Albright: Oh. Right. Thats right. I forgot. Youre a man.
Harry Burns: What was that supposed to mean?
Sally Albright: Nothing. Its just that all men are sure it never happened to them and all women at one time or other have done it so you do the math.

And the scene where Sally is upset and grabbing kleenex after kleenex and barely using them and then tossing them on the floor, it's funny and at the same time you feel for her. When Harry Met Sally isn't a generic romance movie that puts two people together, gives them a couple cute moments, and forces you to want them to be together. With When Harry Met Sally, you actually want Harry and Sally to be together. They are perfect for each other. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal give great performances, two of my favorite performances ever. This is the best date movie, a movie for couples or even "just friends" to watch. It's hilarious and heart warming at the same time. And guys, don't be fooled, it's not a chick flick, it's a romantic comedy that both girls and guys can enjoy. I've had trouble getting some of my male friends to watch it because they think it's a chick flick, but it's not, honestly.

When Harry Met Sally is flawless, a classic that everyone should see. It will always be one of my favorite movies. It's very intelligent, witty, and exceptionally written. I also love the ending, it's funny and romantic.

Harry Burns: I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
Sally Albright: You see? That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you!

If you haven't seen this movie you should see it now. If you've seen it see it again. But just remember, EVERYONE must see this movie.

Grade: 10/10
Old 08-04-2001, 09:36 AM
I can't think of a better romantic comedy. This one was a terrific film, but not 10/10 for me. Sure I've only seen it once and that was a long time ago, but this wasn't what you or Joblo made it out to be. I can't decide on wheter it would be an 8 or a 9/10 because something that one should always take to thought is the age factor. Does it age well? Apparently it ages magnificently for you, maybe that'll happen with me. But the thing I liked about this movie is that it's not the normal stupid romantic comedy that has the people saying these moronic prophetic things that are supposed to be romantic. This movie is much much more original which is something that I really enjoyed in the movie.
Old 08-04-2001, 05:56 PM
When Harry Met Sally is like the best date movie there is.It's a sweet and funny movie.I love Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal,and I love what that lady said:"I'll have what she's having".
Old 08-08-2001, 11:54 AM
Great review Mike.

I'm absolutely agree, the best romantic comedy ever made.

A 10/10 comedy.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:12 PM
Thanks Zed!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:14 PM
I was just watching this movie the other day and I couldn't get over what a great and flawless film this is. It's perfect in every way. I was thinking they should give it a re-release someday, maybe for a 20th Anniversary or something. They should release it in theaters again. Even though I own it I'd probably still see it in theaters. It's the perfect date movie. A re-release would bring back people who loved the movie and even open up the door to a whole new generation who probably haven't even heard of When Harry Met Sally. I highly doubt as long as I live I will see a romantic comedy as good as this.

I recommend this movie to anyone, if you haven't seen it then see it NOW. Even teens will love it, it doesn't matter if they're into romantic comedies or not. When Harry Met Sally isn't a chick flick, in my opinion anyway. But if you insist on calling it one be my guest, but it's a chick flick guys will enjoy too.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:07 PM
This movie IMHO is aging really well. I saw it awhile back and was curious to see if it held up for me. And it did marvelously.

The basic question of can a man and a woman be friends, the differing views of men and women on love, lust and how long do you want to hold someone have lost none of their currency.

Aside from the tv series soap I don't think Crystal has ever given a better performance than here. He's eccentric, opinated, sweet and a triffle nuts. As Sally Meg Ryan is just terrific.

It's unfortunate that in a career made of Meg Ryan movies she's so rarely found a scripts to match When Harry Met Sally. This is what a good romantic comedy should be about. Not stupid hijinks but two people trying to resolve friendship, love and how long to hold someone.

9/10
Old 04-11-2003, 11:18 PM

I turned the TV on tonight and this was on. Even though I own it I just couldn't help but watch it. Every time I see it on TV I always watch it, I just can't turn it off. I LOVE THIS FILM! If any movie ever deserved to be called a classic it's this one. It's so flawless... There's never going to be a better romantic comedy! God, what a GREAT film!

When Harry Met Sally will always have a special place in my heart ...
Old 04-12-2003, 10:22 AM
I saw it last night too Mike!

Oh loved the movie 10/10
Old 04-12-2003, 02:41 PM

I saw this on TCM a couple of weeks ago. One of the few romantic comedies I like. 9/10!
Old 04-15-2003, 10:04 AM
I saw this only once a few years ago and I remeber really liking it (8/10), but I'm thinking maybe I should rent it again. I have a feeling ti could be one of those things like with "Briget Jones's Diary" and "Kissing Jessica Stein" where I just liked them at first, but loved them more and more on each viewing, and now I can't get enough of them.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:22 AM
The orgasm scene alone is priceless.

9/10
Old 04-17-2003, 02:37 AM
I dunno, dudes... I kinda prefered it the first time I saw it, when I watched Annie Hall, the best romantic comedy ever.

It's still a good flick, though. Sweet and charming, with two good performances for Crystal and Ryan, but I still prefer Annie Hall any day of the week.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zed
Great review Mike.

I'm absolutely agree, the best romantic comedy ever made.

A 10/10 comedy.
Could have not said it better.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigur509
Could have not said it better.
I am really happy that this movie got so many good reviews from schmoes!
Old 04-20-2003, 02:11 AM
I'm happy I'm not the only guy that thought the movie was great. Not only a great romantic comedy, but it's got enough jokes per minute to never let you stop laughing and the greatest of all relationships lessosn. My ex gf used to cry every time she watched it (but she cries at nearly every movie, including Jaws...yeah, I know) All in all, a great film for anyone.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:32 AM
I really liked this comedy, it was the one that started all.
Meg Ryan and Billy Cristal are both cute, funny and young!
I totally agree with doing a re-release for the 20th anyversay or somethin┤.

8/10