Old 04-20-2003, 10:15 PM
The Matrix

At the start of 1999, if you asked someone what sci-fi film they were most excited for, they'd probably say Star Wars: Episode I- The Phantom Menace. If you asked them at the start of 2000 what sci-fi film they enjoyed the most, chances are they'd say The Wachowski Brothers' The Matrix, a stylish science fiction thriller.

This is the perfect role for Keanu Reeves (Neo). His amount of dialouge is small, and the majority of his part is ass kicking where he can look cool. Not exactly hard for him, but he gets the job done, and became cult history. Whoa.

Laurence Fishburne (Morpheus) is the real star of this show. A stunning and powerful performance from this thespian. The way he says his lines brings a feeling of wisdom and power tot he character.

Carrie-Anne Moss (Trinity) and Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith) both too superb jobs also. Weaving is delightfully evil and slimy. Great performance.

The look of the film is amazing. Think The Terminator meets an 80's action flick meets Brian Michael Bendis' run on Daredevil. Dark, gothic, and stylish. A lot of the film has a green color to it, which adds a layer of atmosphere to it.

The effects are stunning. Completely believable, and they fit perfectly with the look of the film (grimy and dark).

There are many nods to religion and mythology in the film, which is great. Somehow it adds a depth to the film, and keeps it from being just another corny sci-fi movie. I also loved the fact that Neo hid his discs in "Simulacra & Simulation". Nice nod.

Overall, this is a great science fiction film. An amazing ride. One of the best sci-fi films ever made. One of the best films ever made. The perfect set-up. 5/15 can't get here soon enough!

10/10

Last edited by dh1989; 04-21-2003 at 11:55 AM..
Old 04-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Tell me why you really liked it, and I'll listen.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:35 PM
The Matrix is a good film.

It's not a 10/10. Too many damn mistakes...but it's still, as you said dh, an amazing ride. Some of the greatest FX ever seen. I love it. A good watch when you're bored!

8/10
Old 04-21-2003, 07:13 PM
"The Matrix" isn't the masterpiece people harp about. But, it is pure summer popcorn cheese. Some great Special F?X scenes. The Wachowski bros. do have something pretty cool on their hands.

Not one of the most brilliant film I have seen. But pure popcorn fun.

7/10