Old 11-08-2002, 02:01 AM
Reviews: Dog Soldiers

JoBlo's 6/10 review of DOG SOLDIERS can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/dogsoldiers.htm

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:10 PM
I was fortunate enough to catch a screening of Dog Soldiers at a recent horror-movie marathon, and I have to say that it one of the downright coolest movies I've ever seen.

The premise is a fairly simple one: British military squad is playing wargames in the Scottish highlands, and is subsequently set upon by a pack of werewolves. That's about as far as it goes, plot-wise, but then, it's not meant to be Gosford Park. Just one big action-gore-fest.

It's true that the movie does start off a bit slow, but after Fido and company show up, it's almost non-stop combat. Think Aliens meets The Howling, and you've got a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Particularly fun is the bare-knuckle boxing match between man and wolf.

One last thing to take note of is that this is a movie created by film-buffs, for film-buffs. One of the producers (David E. Allen) was at the marathon I attended, and I think he cited something liked 34 in-jokes throughout the film. Watch for them.

In all, Dog Soldiers is a movie that any action or horror-fan simply should not miss. So grab some chips, a few friends, kick back, and enjoy the fun.

Rating: **** (out of five)

Last edited by Mut; 11-09-2002 at 11:30 AM..
Old 11-11-2002, 06:45 PM

Once again, I tend to agree more often than not with "JB" Finally caught this one on home video and was VERY PLEASED! If there were more of a back story of the family I'd give it a7, but all in all a treat for Werewolf fans! 6/10... and I mean that in a GOOD way!
Old 11-16-2002, 08:18 PM
keeley

Im pretty surprised to hear JoBlo's review of Dog Soliders that it was a "serious movie". And even more shocked that he totally missed the well-placed Matrix reference in there.

Solider1: What happened to Spoon? (one of the guys in the platoon was named Spoon, nicknamed Spoonie)

Solider 2: (looking at the pile of guts on the floor) There is no spoon.

The director of Dog Doliders is obviously a sci-fi/horror/camp fan, judging by his Matrix/Evil Dead/Predator influenced references and situations. I thought it was a lot of fun and one of the best werewolf flicks around...not that that's saying much.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:44 AM
I'd give it 7/10. A very good low-budget British werewolf movie. A good mix of humour and action, certainly the best since American Werewolf in London (though that's still the best for me) My wife laughed a bit at the werewolves but I thought they did quite well for a limited budget and at least they weren't cartoony CGI creatures.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:42 AM
I missed the movie at the cinema but caught it finally on DVD. I loved every single minute of it. It appeals to me, a British Squaddie, as the first film ever to actually capture the squaddie humour and squaddie mentality.

I could pick at the minor faults, the SA-80 rifles cannot usually be fired left-handed, for example, but overall I thought the movie was perfect.

This has every chance of knocking 'Full Metal Jacket' off the top of the British Army must-see chart.

8/10
Old 04-04-2003, 08:38 PM
There hasn't been a great deal of decent werewolf films out as of late, so it was refreshing to see Dog Soldiers. The film doesn't take itself too seriously, but still manages plenty of scary moments, and even though it was made on a low budget, it makes the best of it with some nasty and gory effects resulting in plenty of blood. I was glad to see a film like this get a theatrical run. After seeing the previews, I wasn't looking forward to this as its low budget was evident in the trailers, but after plenty of surprisingly postive reviews, I went to the film having a good time.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Dog Soldiers- (7.5/10)
Info: (2002) R, Sean Pertwee, Kevin McKidd, Darren Morfitt
Runtime: 1 hour 45 mins
Genre: Action/Horror
Tagline: "Six Soldiers. Full Moon. No chance."
Comments: A sort of "Predator" meets "Night Of The Living Dead". But instead of a creature from outer space and flesh-eating zombies, we get nasty, vicious, 7-foot-tall werewolves. First off, I just want to say that this movie kicked my ass. The action was great and the gore was extreme. The story is about a group of soldiers who are dropped off in the Scotland wilderness for a simple training exercise. While there, they discover the mutilated remains of an unrelated second team of soldiers. Our soldiers soon find themselves being hunted by the same group of beasts that killed the second team. What makes this movie so great is that it knows its taking concepts from past horror movies, but it doesn't give a shit. The action and even the acting is so well executed, it didn't seem to bother me that this movie steals, or "pays homage" to "Alien", "Predator", "The Evil Dead", "Night Of The Living Dead", and so on. Though it has it's flaws, this unseen action/horror gem shouldn't be missed.
Dialogue- 7/10 (Some stuff was hard to decipher because of the thick accents, but for the most part the dialogue flowed nicely, with even some really funny bits.)
Violence/Gore- 8/10 (Terrific action sequences, grotesque gore effects, creepy creatures, and not even a hint of CGI... ah, I love it.)
T&A- 0/10 (Six soldiers and one girl trapped together in a secluded house and not a single solitary fucking thing.)
Date viewed: 1/1/03
Old 04-14-2003, 09:15 AM
DOG SOLDIERS 7.5/10

Damn fun hybrid of the predator/Aliens premise...nice FX, fun dialogue with loads of in movie jokes and homages throughout.

Laughed the whole way through, good mindless fun, with nice camera works and a solid tip of the hat to Mr Raimi.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:16 AM
This review, like every review I do, inevitably contains spoilers. So don't say I didn't warn you.

From the outset (and the critic description "A bitch of a werewolf movie") it's clear Dog Soldiers is going to be a dumbly enjoyable lads-night-out movie. That's why half the focus is, strangely, on an England v Germany footie match. This certainly adds to the film's decent level of comedy (the closing headline, the football result, towers above the werewolf story) but also contributes to a distinct inconsequential feeling about all of this. Werewolves are treated like vampires were in From Dusk Till Dawn - they're simply here, they're going to kill us, get over it. That kind of frankness at least makes the movie accessible (though the whole lycanthropy thing is explained well in one scene) but again suggests the film is headed towards a pretty dumb audience.

The acting is never top notch in army movies. Tons of shouting, tons of orders, and of course lots of testosterone spilling action sequences are the cast's lot, and though there are one or two truly memorable bits ("Spoon"'s fist fight with a werewolf and his subsequent brave demise) the film is overall dispensible. Sean Pertwee is fine but absurdly used as the captain who gets his guts spilled (literally) and jammed in with superglue. Like most of the film's formulaic events, it's hard to believe. But that doesn't matter seeing as the film makers are clearly expecting the football-obsessed audience to be a little intoxicated too.

For the most part, it's either cruelly funny or disgustingly horrible. Cast members are ripped apart (one scene in a garage is very difficult to watch) in between silly sequences, such as paw-slapping or one bit where a soldier runs terrified through the forest, and gets impaled on a tree. It's funny because it's his fault...

Of course the story leads to the whole building getting blown up, and the mid-point shocking revelation (the lead girl is one of them) is well expected, but she's at least dispatched with surprising speed. And all this feels even more dispensible because these army characters are not humanised. I for one didn't really care about any of them, and the incredibly cheap looking werewolves (kept thankfully out of shot most of the time) weren't very threatening. Cue an almost ridiculous amount of blood and guts, and you get a messy, silly, entirely forgettable lad movie. Lock Stock it is not.

It is of course enjoyable from time to time, but there's nothing here you won't get in American Werewolf In London or any other better werewolf movie. Ultimately too dumb and too simple to work. 3/10