Old 11-18-2001, 03:40 PM
Reviews: Hercules

JoBlo's 6/10 review of HERCULES can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/hercules.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended =
Not recommended =
In the middle =
Old 04-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Hercules Review

I acctually loved the Disney movie Hercules, I thought that, although not classically fitting, the motown, gospel feel that ran through the muses numbers fit well with Disney's humorous way of injecting more modern themes into older stories. Another example would be the reaccuring "jewish humor" that was written in for characters like Hades as well as Phil. Of course there were other examples but i noticed that clearly.

I read a review a while back that really slammed Tate Donovan, in reguard to how he played Hercules, but in most Disney films, the archetypal lover/hero does get the short end of the stick, when it comes to originality, humor, and personality. So I've come to accept the lack as being, something to accept, that may as well be necisary to the type of story we're looking at. Still i believe that the overwhelming sappiness of the adolecent hercules, as well as those doe eye'd looks he'd pour onto the sky when contemplating "where he belongs", could have been improved upon.

Meg I really used to dislike, but i think im warming up to her character, and hermes was another figure that, though minor, still got me laughing.

I like stories filled with love, and mystery, magic, and asthetically appealing scenery, so I believe this one is a plus in most categories.

*Persephone
Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Well, I loved this when I was little. But I recently re-watched it and I was really really bord.
Yeah the antimation was okay, and the voices were cool, but the story was just plain boring. After I re-watched this I really wanted to just put this piece of trash back on my Disney VHS shelf where it belongs.
OVERALL GRADE- 5/10 or C-
Old 04-22-2003, 09:45 AM
You are never supposed to take Disneys seriously, but the recent ones that haven't sucked - I ignore Atlantis, Mulan and Lilo & Stitch - have contained some really very funny comedy. While Emporer's New Groove is the best, Hercules is at least really good, providing tons of good natured laughs and some pretty good voice acting.

James Woods is immortal as the fast talking Hades, Danny Devito is more than decent as Phil, and Tate Donovan... when not bursting into cringe-inducing song... is believable. Better than Tarzan any day.

The gospel soundtrack is cool, catchy and really enjoyable, raising the film way above normal Disney dull music. And that is where I run out of things to say - Hercules is fun, cool and better than your average Disney. Make of that what you will. 8/10