Old 06-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Reviews: Scooby-Doo

JoBlo's 5/10 review of SCOOBY-DOO can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/scoobydoo.htm

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended =
Not recommended =
In the middle =
Old 06-15-2002, 06:16 AM
Ok, I had my doubts the CGI could actually pull off "Scooby", but it worked. It took me a few scenes to get comfortable with this big pixely Great Dane, but I felt he was very much Scooby buy the end of the movie! Matthew Lillard does a terrific Shaggy as well. Not sure about the Sarah Michelle - Freddie Prinz casting? Velma was good. And what was up with the Scrappy-Doo thing? Oh, well! This is a funny, fast paced, no brainer of a movie. Don't expect more. My 6 and 4 year olds loved it...and that's what it's all about! Scooby-Doo-by Doooooooooooo!
Old 06-15-2002, 10:19 AM
I thought the movie overall was great. I was prepared to leave my brain at home and have a great time.
I loved Shaggy's scened, even though he freaked me out sounding identical to the cartoon Shaggy.
I thought that the Fred character was miscast because Freddy Prinze portrayed Fred too much like an idiot like the character from "She's All That", and did not have enough of the confidence to convince me that he is the leader of Mystery Inc. I also was thrown off by that last fight scene that Fred performs. Where the hell did that come from?
I was extremely turned on by Thelma's character in a librarian by day freak by night way.
I thought Gellar was excellent eye candy, but other than that, she sleepwalked her part. She seems to play the same type of character in every movie. I think she is taking too many lessons from her fiancee.
What can I say, Scooby was Scooby.
Finally, I would like to say that I hated Scrappy Doo in the cartoon and I loved watching hime get his just deserts after watching an ending that the director must have smoked a bong to come up with.
I loved the movie and hope they put those "adult' parts in a DVD special edition.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:59 AM
When I first heard that they were doing a Scooby movie i was pumped up. I then saw the trailer and heard things that caused me not to be sure what to expect. I also read many mixed reviews. Today, I saw Scooby Doo, and I enjoyed it.
The acting isn't anything great, it has about as much as the cartoon. Matthew Lilard was great as Shaggy. As much as everyone complained about the rest of the cast, I didn't have a problem with them, including Freddie Prince Jr, which was a big suprise for me.

The story is what you have heard. It is no different than that of the 30 minute cartoon. It does have a twist ending, that doesn't blow your mind or anything of that sort, but it is oddly ammusing. Scrappy makes a "wet" appearance.

Scooby is CGI and there is also plenty of other Eye candy to go along with him. I thought scooby doo looked great. Spooky Island had a great atmosphere also. Sometimes the CGI didn't look too good, this is not including Scooby, becouse Scooby was great.

See this movie if your a fan of Scooby, Lillard, Sarah, Freddie, or anyone from the rest of the cast. See it for a family friendly movie. Don't see it for a deep story. See it for the 8/10 in which i give it.

P.S. I have been a fan of scooby.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:35 AM
I thought this movie was going to be lame the previews make it look so stupid but it wasnt all that bad, some parts were pretty funny like the little fart contest in the kitchen. haha Scooby RoX 8/10

Scrappy Evil Scrappy!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 12:04 AM
Oh, I am sooooooo sad that this movie did not get the raving reviews that it deserved! This movie was adorable and perfectly done!! And, of course, the culprit is the last person you'd really expect to be behind it all! Linda Cardelinni and Freddie Prinze Jr. were good as Fred and Thelma. But I loved Sarah Michelle Gellar as the damsel in distress, Daphne. She played the role exactly as I would have thought she would be in real life. But the award for best portrayal from the cartoon definitely, without a doubt, goes to Matthew Lillard. He was absolutely Shaggy through and through. He was my favorite, except for Scooby. I could almost feel a genuine love towards a dog that doesn't really even exist! He was perfect for this role! I also loved the subtle reference that Shaggy was a druggie. As for Scooby Doo--he was the coolest ever! He was hilarious and absolutely adorable. I fell in love with him completely. He was very goofy and I thought his obsessive love of food was perfect. This movie just kept pushing my curiosity until the last moment! I laughed--boy did I laugh--and I even got all teary-eyed when Shaggy told Scooby how much he meant to him. I also cried when the Mystery Inc. breaks up in the beginning and Scooby cries in the van. Scooby says, "Raggy, ro re ruit roo?" and Shaggy says, "No, Scoob, friends don't quit."
There are countless inside jokes in this movie. Like when Daphne, Shaggy and Scooby are outside the haunted castle and Daphne is trying to get them to go in. Shaggy names all of the portraits with eyes that move, suits of armor with guys in them and weird laughing creatures. Sure enough, every one of those occurs, plus more! They also mention Scrappy Doo, most appropriately as, "the egomaniac who ruined it all!" It was good--genius, if ya ask me! I loved Melvin Doo, who Scooby asked when they were trying to steal his soul, he says, "Are you sure you don't want Melvin Doo?"
My favorite scene, you ask...well, there's no question in my mind that the best scene ever was this: Scooby and Shaggy are exploring the haunted castle and they stumble upon a kitchen. They proceed to have the most hilarious burping/farting contest that I have ever seen in the history of movies. Finally, sound effects and animation is using their technology for something genuinely hilarious. Anyone who doesn't get a long laugh out of that one must have a heart of stone! Hilarious! I loved this movie and found the mystery very "Scooby Doo" cartoonish! I mean, if you've never seen the cartoon and don't find Scooby and the gang absolutely hilarious and endearing, don't bother. You won't appreciate the wonder of the amusement park and the greatness of that gassy scene. But I do appreciate the film and I recommend it highly! 9/10
Old 06-21-2002, 09:42 AM
I grew up watching Scooby Doo, so I felt an obligation to see the movie. It was humorous in parts, but overall it was strictly a kid's movie. If you go into the theater expecting a kid's movie, it will live up to its expectations. Otherwise, you may be disappointed. The plot wasn't anything great, but if you think about it, neither were the plots in the TV shows.

Lillard was born to play Shaggy. He sounded, acted, and looked exactly like shaggy. Excellent job! (By the way, Shaggy's "love interest" in the movie looked pretty hot.)

Cardellini did pretty well with her character also. Her part was cast well. She even looked pretty hot in the low-cut outfit she had on for a brief portion of the movie. I don't understand why the costume was briefly changed and then changed back, but I'm not complaining.

I love Buffy....er, I mean Sarah Michelle Gellar, but she was only marginally adequate in her role. She was nice to look at (as always) but I didn't completely accept her as Daphine.

Freddie, don't give up your day job. Oh wait....this IS your day job. Too bad for the viewing audience, because Freddie was the worst cast member of the Scooby gang. I've seen better acting from 3rd graders in a Christmas play. Maybe you should let SMG support your sorry a$$.

What was up with Pamela Anderson and Rowan Atkinson in this movie? Don't get me wrong. I always enjoy looking at the voluptuous Ms. Anderson, but she was horribly misplaced in this flick. Normally I like Atkinson, but he didn't live up to his usual form of quirky humor.

I really, really could have done without the burping/farting contest. There must be some rule in Hollywood that states that at least one scene must contain body functions in this type of movie. I don't remember the cartoon characters burping and farting, but maybe my memory is failing.

Why was the very last scene put into the movie? Did the producers feel that they needed an extra 3 - 5 minutes tacked onto the film? A lot of the people in the theater (understandably) started to get up and walk out of the theater once the mystery was solved, and all of a sudden another scene is carelessly thrown onto the screen. Why? The scene could have been eliminated without any harm (if that's possible) to the story. It might make sense if the scene was funny, but unfortunately.....it wasn't.

My advice is to see this film during a cheap, early showing or wait until it hits the video rental stores. I say....6/10 Scooby snacks.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:34 PM
i just love this movie it was so funny and cute i liked scrapy doo the best he was the funniest plus the farting contest really cracked me up i always watch the tv show and the movie was beyond great it was very good the best movie for kids and even grown ups it was just hillarious and adorable and lovely. 10/10
Old 06-22-2002, 02:57 PM
This movie is totally halarious. I like the part where Shaggy takes all thows peoples out of the tub and all the peoples voices change. Great acting in it and the final scene before the credits is so funny. If you want to see a really funny movie with tons of laughs and great actors this is the movie to see!
Old 06-23-2002, 11:09 AM
Scooby Doo (2002)
Staring: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prinze JR, Mathew Lillard, and whoever played Velma!

Scooby Doo starts out pretty good, constantly making fun of itself. But it starts to spoil as the movie goes on. Scooby Doo has perfect casting, just not a perfect plot or script. I found myself laughing a few times, but that farting/burping contest was not only nasty, but completly unecessary. My little brother and his friend really enjoyed this movie a lot, and I can't say I hated it. I was expecting a pretty good time at the movies, which I didn't quite get, so I guess Scooby Doo is qualified to be called a dissapointment. But it is not as horrible as Roger Ebert said!

Scooby Doo [i] oo/oooo
Old 06-24-2002, 03:12 PM
I saw Scooby Doo the other day and I thought that it was so poorly done... it realy did not have any reflection on how the cartoons realy are.. I was very disapointed in the way they tried to give them a "face lift" If I had never seen the cartoon then saw the movie I would have definently wondered why every one likes them so much..the only thing i did like about the movie is the 3d effects on Scooby...
Old 06-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Scooby Doo - 6/10.

Not the greatest movie I've ever seen, but still a nice remake of the old cartoon everyone grew up on. I liked the CGI effects for Scooby (surprisingly), and I doubt it could have gotten much better than Matthew Lilliard for Shaggy (I was surprised!) Actually, the entire cast was great. Ironically Freddy was Fred, and him and Sarah Michelle Geller had to bear professional roles.

As for where the movie itself went.. not the greatest plot, and it sorta fizzled out somewhere after the gang made it to the island. Scrappy Doo (which btw i hated in the original cartoon) just made for a crappy conclusion, and a lot of the movie was just... well, boring... I will remember the face switching scene for a good while. It's really funny when you know who the actors are.

All in all, it was visual splendor, as well as just plain fun.

Last edited by The1TrueFrog; 10-26-2002 at 12:58 AM..
Old 06-28-2002, 09:38 PM
starring:Freddie Prince JR,Sarah Michelle Gellar,Matthew Lillard,Linda Cardellini
Directed by:Raja Gosnell

Scooby-Doo is a kidís movie,and strickly a kids movie.And I donít even know if it is even that.When I saw Scooby-Doo I didnít hear a lot of laughs.And if there were,well they certainly wonít be coming from me.The jokes in Scooby-Doo were corny and very sappy.But go figure when there coming from the defention of corny and sappy,Freddie Prince JR.The only really thing that saved this movie was Matthew Lillards spot on Performance with Shaggy.But unluckily for us viewers the bad script brought Lillard down just like the rest of the film.

But before I can complain a little more,let me give you the plot.Well the famous Mystery Inc breaks up and then 2 years later there all like invited to Spooky Island.They donít really want to talk to each other still.When the get to this ďso calledĒ Spooky Island they meet the owner play by Roman Atikson.So they go looking for clues to figure out why strange things are occuring on Spooky Island.Then there are these weird monsters that show up and that look like a giant Gollum.Oh ya special guest appernece by Sugar Ray,which makes the film even more unbarable to sit through.

Well let me just start of by saying,a very bad script.The stupid jokes in the film are so corny and stupid I was almost reading to burst.The farting contest???Like geez!Probably just to kill time from itís short but lone 1 hour and 27 minutes.Scooby look really bad,the CGI really didnít make look good.Like look at his face,he looks like Fred Flinstone stoned,and a lot more hair too.Freddie,oh good god.They tired to make look like Conan the Barbarian but instead they just showed plain old simple Freddie.ĒNerdy chicks like you turn me on too.ĒLike how stupid is that?

I think that the writers were not faithful to the show.I found the show witty and smart.As to the movie,lame and corny.I was so desprate I was wishing they were going to bring an old thing from the show to a scene.At least it would have been funny.But oh no.Sadly yes instead of wit and smart quotes that had to bring cheesy unfuny jokes,that made this look like a stoner movie.And I think it was,if not....we will never know.And what is up with Buffy?Jesuse H.Christ she plays this really really stupid blonde who thinks she has everything figured out.I liked the Daphne were she would shut up and listen.But Hollywood has to be a bitch to ya.

Scooby-Doo had the cake but tried to eat it at the same time.And that is what I and many other people like to call a NO NO!The corny jokes and lame satire last half a second.Maybe not even that long.Some advice to Freddie and the gang,Split up again.

**(out of 5)
--Logan Groves

Old 07-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Acting- All Good except Freddie 97%

Directing- The direction was original 100%

The effects rocked. 87%

The score and songs were bland 54%

Old 07-08-2002, 05:48 PM
RATING: 7/10

Director: Raja Gosnell
Starring: Freddie Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew Lillard
Year of Release: 2002
Reviewer: urbanlegend23

I have never been much of a fan of Scooby-Doo. I had seen a couple of the videos (Scooby-Doo Goes Hollywood, Scooby-Doo and the Witchís Ghost) but I hadnít really liked them. So this movie wasnít one I was exactly anticipating too much. It looked pretty dumb. I am not a fan of Freddie Prinze, Jr. and almost all the critics hated it. However, I had to see it, because it had Sarah Michelle Gellar in it, and no matter how bad reviews of movies are, I have to see a movie if sheís in it. Surprisingly, Scooby-Doo was actually an enjoyable romp against all odds. Itís a cool and entertaining adaptation that has some fun cartoonish action and neat childhood mystery (actually kept me guessing!)

The best thing about the movie was the sets. They were just amazing! Spooky Island would actually make a really cool theme park (and after the big success of this flick, I wouldnít be too surprised if it did go into construction). Itís got some awesomely designed roller coasters and rides and the Spooky Mountain set is stunning! The atmosphere of the island was very cartoonishly moody. I liked that Ė very faithful to the cartoon.

The acting was another strong point in the film. I have never been Freddie Prinze, Jr.ís biggest fan and I thought casting him as Fred was a very strange move. He did well in this flick. He delivered his one-liners very well, and his humour or performance as a whole didnít feel forced Ė it was a natural performance that improved on his previous ďeffortsĒ. Sarah Michelle Gellar fitted her role nicely but I think she needs a harder role for herself now. None-the-less, she looked great and was convincing as Daphne. Linda Cardinelli was a good casting choice as Velma but she was a bit too corny at times. The best performance by a long shot came from the talented Matthew Lillard, who was absolutely Shaggy through-and-through. He did a terrific job.

The idea to make Scooby a complete CGI character was a daring one. Thankfully, Raja Gosnell (director) and his terrific technical crew make Scooby just as in the cartoons. He definitely looked like a real dog. His character was my favourite one (Iím a sucker for talking animals) and had me in chuckles in plenty of scenes (Ramburgers?). The chemistry between Scooby and Shaggy is great.

This movie is not without flaws. The finale is terrible. The revelation as to whoís behind the mysterious schemes at Spooky Island is unexpected but just so silly I could barely stomach it. Itís meant to be funny but I just didnít buy it. The writers mustíve been smoking something really strong to have come up with that lame ending. The movie was also very corny at times. I know its based on an old corny animated TV show (nothing wrong with that) but it was just a bit overacted in some scenes. I wouldíve also liked it if the movie has incorporated some adult humour but it was a kidís movie so that didnít bother me too much.

All in all, this is a brainless, hysterical and fun summer flick that the kids and most adults will definitely enjoy. Itís a movie you have to leave your brain at the door for, and if you can remember its just supposed to be silly fun then youíll be fine. I was very pleased because the movie managed to have some genuine comedy, which I was not expecting.

SCOOOOOOOOOBY-DOOOBY-DOOO is heaps of fun with lots of chuckles! Check it out for a good time at the movies!
Old 04-23-2003, 10:04 AM
Even though I'm not a huge fan of kid flicks.........I gotta say Scooby-Doo was entertaining and fun.

Pretty good acting by all of the cast especially Mathew Lillard as Shaggy. He was awesome and sounded just like him. Very talented guy. He was the best thing about the movie aside from Scooby who looked really cool (I've always had a soft spot for the animated Scooby-Doo cartoon). Linda Cardellini also made a good Velma. Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar as Fred and Daphne were just mediocre.

The sets were very cool and fun to look at. All in all a good family flick for both kids and adults. 7/10