Old 01-12-2003, 12:19 AM
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

This book is pretty fuckin' sick. Ellis pulls no punches as the reader really gets to know what Patrick Bateman is about. Although the book is 400 pages long, the really demented stuff doesn't begin until around page 280 or so. I have to agree with Arrow, the movie couldn't be a direct translation of the book...it would indeed be unwatchable. Overall, even though the book was dull and repetitive at some parts, it was solid. Also, this book isn't for people with a weak stomach. I can say that for the first time ever i was a little grossed out by reading a book. I thought the message concerning materialism that the book portrayed was interesting. If you liked the movie and wanna catch the real story, go and read it.

8/10
Old 01-13-2003, 04:43 PM
I LOVED this book, I thought it was hilarious. Ellis devoted entire chapters of Patrick rambling on about Huey Lewis and the News or Whitney Huston. And that other chapter where Patrick and his friends were deciding on where to go for drinks, it went on for pages and pages!

While I did enjoy the movie, I read an unproduced script by Oliver Stone which would've been WAY better. Here it is
Old 04-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryce Canyon

While I did enjoy the movie, I read an unproduced script by Oliver Stone which would've been WAY better. Here it is
The script seems to be much more like the book...

Paul OWEN
Jean and Patrick going to Dorsia
Old 04-21-2003, 09:13 PM

When I read this book the first time I was just thinking that it is incredibly repulsive. But after I had finished it I realised that it is mainly the final 150 pages which are really sick (e.g. the chapter with the rat) and that there are innumerable moments of brilliant social satire hidden in it. Patrick Bateman's obsession with Donald Trump, the restaurant chats, the Phil Collins/Whitney Houston/Huey Lewis chapter... hilarious! My favourite moment must be Bateman's encounter with Tom Cruise in the elevator. That's just priceless! American Psycho has become one of my favourite novels (and definitely my favourite B. E. Ellis book) and I've read it three times since it came out in 1991. But I'm dead-serious when I say that this novel is definitely not every schmoe's cup of tea and you better stay away from it as far as possible if you're easily offended.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:04 AM
I loved this book the moment I read it. I thought that it was one of the wittiest books I had read since Puckoon by Spike Milligan. The comedy is completely unbalanced by the violence; but the point is made and, really, no-one gets hurt. Official.

"This Is Not An Exit"
Old 04-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Like the film, I found this book boring and unecassary.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:39 PM
I found this book to be shocking, compulsive and hilarious. It was also on occasion tedious, self-indulgent and without substance. Whole chapters devoted to bad albums and entire pages of grooming tips do not a fun read make. That said...I read every word and when I read the final line and closed the book I left it feeling that I had just read a flawed masterpiece. A brilliant book and a very clever movie.

Book - 9/10

Movie - 7.5/10
Old 04-22-2003, 07:21 PM
LMAO!

'I really loved Bartendar'
'It was called Cocktail'
Old 04-25-2003, 05:54 PM
The book was tedious crap. This is a rare case where the movie is vastly superior to the book upon which it was based.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Reigh Kaufman
I loved this book the moment I read it. I thought that it was one of the wittiest books I had read since Puckoon by Spike Milligan. The comedy is completely unbalanced by the violence; but the point is made and, really, no-one gets hurt. Official.

"This Is Not An Exit"
I agree, although some of the fetishistic repetition could become irritating (I understand the point of it though).

Incidentally, I agree with your interpretation, although it was pretty bizarre to see Bret Easton Ellis praise Mary Harron's film for making clearer the notion that the murders are imaginary, only to have Harron, in a seperate explanation, say that they were, in fact, real.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:51 AM
I quite fancy reading American Psycho (quite liked the movie). The Rules Of Attraction by Mr Ellis was fantastic, do ya think I would like AP?